Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Problem description: Randomly, when I resume my desktop from sleep, I'll just get a black screen. My monitor shows its in power saving mode, and no mouse clicks or keyboard presses will show anything. Only a hard restart fixes it.

Attempted fixes: Made sure my video drivers are up to date, disabled and enabled hibernation.

Recent changes: Nope.

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 x64

System specs:

Intel i5 4570
ASRock B85M Pro4
DELL U2312HM (1920x1080@60Hz) monitor
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (EVGA)
931GB Western Digital Red hard drive
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB
Seasonic SS-300ET Bronze ATX 300W power supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Your power supply is not compatible with Haswell CPU you have, see the Seasonic website here and note that your model does not have a "Haswell-ready" logo. I'd strongly recommend a better power supply anyway, you have a low-draw system but you have completely locked yourself out of any upgrades. On higher-quality models its okay to push them near their rated capacity, but that model isn't meant to actually supply 300W.

In the meantime you can try updating the motherboard and videocard BIOSes, making sure CPU power-save settings are disabled in the BIOS, and installing the latest Intel Chipset INF and Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers, but I would strongly recommend replacing the power supply.

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Alereon posted:

Your power supply is not compatible with Haswell CPU you have, see the Seasonic website here and note that your model does not have a "Haswell-ready" logo. I'd strongly recommend a better power supply anyway, you have a low-draw system but you have completely locked yourself out of any upgrades. On higher-quality models its okay to push them near their rated capacity, but that model isn't meant to actually supply 300W.

In the meantime you can try updating the motherboard and videocard BIOSes, making sure CPU power-save settings are disabled in the BIOS, and installing the latest Intel Chipset INF and Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers, but I would strongly recommend replacing the power supply.

jeez, that's annoying, I wish I knew that when I was putting the system together. Thank you!

Something like this would be good, right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=3938566&SID=

Satire Forum Mom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Dec 21, 2014

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011
I've had this problem for years across multiple PCs so I'd love to hear what fixes it (if you do manage to).

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Satire Forum Mom posted:

jeez, that's annoying, I wish I knew that when I was putting the system together. Thank you!

Something like this would be good, right? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=3938566&SID=
I think that should work well, if you were considering a high-end videocard upgrade in the future I'd get something even higher capacity, but that's plenty for all but the highest-end options.

Tgent posted:

I've had this problem for years across multiple PCs so I'd love to hear what fixes it (if you do manage to).
It really just comes down to working hardware, a current BIOS, and no misbehaving drivers and devices. Trying to mix-and-match hardware of different ages tends to be especially problematic.

• Locked thread