Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I think people are heavily undervaluing marketing in this thread was when marketing shapes our reality. Plenty of humans have (and do) strongly prefer sheep and goat to beef. But beef has fantastic marketing. Lots of other less than efficient things are the same, because they both can afford to market and because they must market. Spending marketing money to make other things good could work quite well. Sure, rare ouxacan grasshoppers would retail at forty dollars a pound, but these other, almost as good grasshoppers are only ten dollars a pound. And these every day grasshoppers are only fifty cents a pound.

There is already a movement to rediscover flavor in food, not to hide spoilage but to celebrate it. I think it would be easy to aggressively market towards that and include some very sustainable foodstuffs. Couple it initially with yuppie eroticism and you've got a powerful campaign.

We just need someone to finance it. And that's the rub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Way not to read the previous paragraph and way not to understand context. Since you can't seem to handle any ambiguity in the written word, I'll help. The "it" refers not to "spoilage" but to "flavor".

Better now?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
NGS is getting cheaper every day. We just need a massive sequencing project for the Amazon. Then we can burn it to the ground.

• Locked thread