Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I wish bad teams were forced to let their young superstars go to this tournament so Canada could go back to winning gold every year.

Like the Olympics, which the NHL is also trying to ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not just dumb selections, but Canada is starting the bad goalie.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Pleads posted:

I wish bad teams were forced to let their young superstars go to this tournament so Canada could go back to winning gold every year.

that worked well during the lockout

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

toe knee hand posted:

that worked well during the lockout

well yeah the lockout '05 team was positively stacked :confused:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fits posted:

well yeah the lockout '05 team was positively stacked :confused:

And the 13 team was a hilarious crap barrel.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
gently caress Hockey Canada for only bringing 2 goalies to camp and giving Fucale the starting job despite his wretched numbers all year

Kale
May 14, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

gently caress Hockey Canada for only bringing 2 goalies to camp and giving Fucale the starting job despite his wretched numbers all year

Something about Fucale even disregarding the numbers makes me feel he's going to be rather mediocre at best.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Marc-André Fucale

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Swiss bad

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
This was Canada's last chance to get Fucale on the bench where he belongs and they blew it

Thanks a lot Max Domi

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

14 whole saves, though! That's almost 5 a period!

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

I was talking to someone who defended Fucale by saying that goaltending was such a mental discipline that he preferred having someone in net who was "used to the pressure" of the WJC. I must have walked into some mirror universe where being demonstrably terrible is just further qualification for a job.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Vlad Tkachev didn't make Team Russia :stare:

Avoiding the Oiler curse, no matter how thinly related to the team

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The Dirty Burger posted:

Vlad Tkachev didn't make Team Russia :stare:

Avoiding the Oiler curse, no matter how thinly related to the team

Team Russia has a strong predilection to KHL trained players. Scherback wasn't even invited to camp. When Russian players leave for the CHL the Russian ice hockey federation gets nothing out of it even though they invested in training that player up to age 16 or so. If a Russian player from the CHL fails to make the Russian WJC team it's generally a political decision and not an indictment of their ability.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Team Russia has a strong predilection to KHL trained players. Scherback wasn't even invited to camp. When Russian players leave for the CHL the Russian ice hockey federation gets nothing out of it even though they invested in training that player up to age 16 or so. If a Russian player from the CHL fails to make the Russian WJC team it's generally a political decision and not an indictment of their ability.

Also a lack of scouting in NA / familiarity with the player.

If top tier Canadian talent were to play outside of NA their chances of making a WJC team would basically drop to nil.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

If top tier Canadian talent were to play outside of NA their chances of making a WJC team would basically drop to nil.

Yeah it's not a totally unreasonable stance when you think about it. If any Canadian trained player decided to play in the KHL for the money in his draft year they'd be tarred and feathered by the media for it. The Russian ice hockey federation exists to protect the interests of hockey in Russia, tons of players leave Russia at a young age every year. It makes sense that they wouldn't encourage the practice by giving preferential treatment to those that stayed behind.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

ThinkTank posted:

Yeah it's not a totally unreasonable stance when you think about it. If any Canadian trained player decided to play in the KHL for the money in his draft year they'd be tarred and feathered by the media for it. The Russian ice hockey federation exists to protect the interests of hockey in Russia, tons of players leave Russia at a young age every year. It makes sense that they wouldn't encourage the practice by giving preferential treatment to those that stayed behind.

You could even see it with the US WJC team for several years when they clearly were biased against American talent that played in the CHL rather than the national development team / leagues.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
That's also been a common complaint with Canadian players going the college route. You usually have to be on the Toews/Kariya/Heatley tier to make it in that case.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Pleads posted:

Marc-André Fucale

He wont even be as good/bad as MAF. Fucale is Canada's own Ondrej Pavelec.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Michael Downing got cut but Michigan (who is wretched at hockey this season) still sent four guys to team USA: Compher, Motte, Larkin, and Werenski.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pleads posted:

Marc-André Fucale

I'm no huge fan of MAF but he deserves better than that comparison, even jokingly.

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Slovakia needs to chase Fucale out in the first period tomorrow for Canada to have a chance at gold

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I'd like to preemptively congratulate Zach Fucale on his future job as an RDS panelist.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Koopa Kid posted:

I was talking to someone who defended Fucale by saying that goaltending was such a mental discipline that he preferred having someone in net who was "used to the pressure" of the WJC. I must have walked into some mirror universe where being demonstrably terrible is just further qualification for a job.

Did you mention to this person that Jarry won a memorial cup

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
go Eichel go USA go college hockey

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Never really looked at McDavid before -- when did Brad Richards and Phil Kessel have a baby?

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Go team Denmark featuring noted cool dude Mads Eller

You can get your first world juniors win, I believe in you :unsmith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Danes on the board! :siren:

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
2-0 Danes, baby

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

At first glance, Russia is bad

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im putting a lot of faith in Slovakia to run the score up on Fucale in the first period so that Canada stands a chance this tournament.

Otherwise

Furnaceface posted:

Zach Fucale fuckin sucks and I look forward to another 4th place finish.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Glambags posted:

At first glance, Russia is bad

Ehlers just dancing around them

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
Ehlers and Bjorkstrand good, Russia bad

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Russia gonna rush

Both these teams appear to have issues with defending, feels a bit like oilers hockey

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Finland about to get stomped

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Finland about to get stomped

You were saying? :smugdog:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Demko you suck

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Demko you suck

Put in Halverson