Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Everyone always drones on about how the 3 Season, 3 Episodes per season British versions are superior, but they're actually lovely as gently caress. For all the talk of how North Americans value quantity over quality, the quality of British shows ranges from worse than to average compared to their American counterparts.

The Office
Veep (UK: The Thick of It)
Literally Anything Else

I would love for someone to make an American version of Teachers, because that would be wayyyy better too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Well they haven't remade Black Books yet so....really, how great could they be?

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007
i tried to watch the american Shameless since everyone says it's better and william h macy is always great, but it just felt too weird watching the same scenes with mostly the same dialogue coming from different people.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
veep is nowhere near as good as the thick of it even though the same british guy wrote it, i'm so sorry

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Um I didn't say this yet b/c I don't want to sound like I'm copying you or smth but Black Books was great............

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
American inbetweeners was a travesty and im assuming you have justifiably scrubbed it from your brain op

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Counterpoint: American Red Dwarf and Inbetweeners are loving horrible

Auritech
May 27, 2004

Blessed be the tailors
The masks are cut to fit

Blessed be the woodworkers
The crosses and the gallows

Blessed be the forgers of iron
And the spikes and the barbwire

Blessed be the stone cutters
It took a quarry to bury the dreams
I heard the American Coupling was awful but I never watched it and UK Coupling was pretty bad anyways

no one speaks kindly of US Top Gear either

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE

Crewmine posted:

veep is nowhere near as good as the thick of it even though the same british guy wrote it, i'm so sorry

No american approximation of Malcolm Tucker can be as good as scottish Malcolm Tucker.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
*watches american low winter sun*

Lmao ok op

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Everyone always drones on about how the 3 Season, 3 Episodes per season British versions are superior, but they're actually lovely as gently caress. For all the talk of how North Americans value quantity over quality, the quality of British shows ranges from worse than to average compared to their American counterparts.

The Office
Literally Anything Else

I would love for someone to make an American version of Teachers, because that would be wayyyy better too

buzz off, troll

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

XMNN posted:

American inbetweeners was a travesty and im assuming you have justifiably scrubbed it from your brain op

Maybe, but how are you going to improve on hilarious statutory rape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyxYHixLRQg

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Professor Shark posted:

The Office
Literally Anything Else

Counterpoint: American Red Dwarf, a show so bad it got one pilot and flopped.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Inbetweeners OP

Check mate.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

KiteAuraan posted:

Counterpoint: American Red Dwarf, a show so bad it got one pilot and flopped.
see also: the it crowd, spaced

American teachers apparently got 6 episodes which Im guessing means it sucked contrary to the ops prediction

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I watched the first season of Episodes (fast forwarding through the last couple because they became boring as poo poo) and found the smug British reactions to American audiences to be pretty hilarious and accurate: they take a popular show from England, take the parts that make it good, cut the parts that make it bad, cast someone who comes with a built-in audience, and make it into a successful show for North America (and therefore the world) while the Brits :qq: about dumbing down and integrity and abloo-bloo :qq:

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

i tried to watch the american Shameless since everyone says it's better and william h macy is always great, but it just felt too weird watching the same scenes with mostly the same dialogue coming from different people.

Somewhere mid-second season maybe sooner they depart and become an etirely different show. Very worth the watch. The OP's pretty much retarded but Shameless is one of the shows that the American version improved on.

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wskkg7rXMkA

This, if anything, makes Macy Shameless worthwhile.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

brick cow posted:

Somewhere mid-second season maybe sooner they depart and become an etirely different show. Very worth the watch. The OP's pretty much retarded but Shameless is one of the shows that the American version improved on.

Nah man, I'm like super right

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Professor Shark posted:

Maybe, but how are you going to improve on hilarious statutory rape?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyxYHixLRQg

are you saying you watched that, with the bit with the pervy driving test examiner right at the beginning, and then spent the rest of the episode fuming about how ~problematic~ it was? hahahahahaaaahaahaaahha

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

brick cow posted:

nice, i'll have to give the show a second chance, then. thanks

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hammerite posted:

are you saying you watched that, with the bit with the pervy driving test examiner right at the beginning, and then spent the rest of the episode fuming about how ~problematic~ it was? hahahahahaaaahaahaaahha

lol i stopped watching that poo poo 6 minutes in

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

They should do an american Father Ted
It'd be about a group of prosperity doctrine preachers that run a mega church to fleece poor people. There could be an episode where they run a pray the gay away camp and hilariously 'correct' their victims by raping them.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

XMNN posted:

The original Inbetweeners was absolutely terrible.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

How the gently caress could you think that Veep is better than ttoi

You're a dumb gently caress

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

the biggest difference when the US remakes a brit show is always that americans can't stand to have anyone who isn't good looking on TV. when a script calls for an ugly character they just dress an attractive person in unflattering clothes

I like how willing brit shows are to have actors you wouldn't want to gently caress in them

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Peep Show is better than any American show though.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

The Dennis System posted:

I didn't know it was possible for someone to be this wrong

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

For a comedy forum, people seem to have an awful taste in comedy

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Whorelord posted:

For a comedy forum, people seem to have an awful taste in comedy

More like the whinging forum, innit? - British Comedy

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Dennis System posted:

I don't say stuff like this often, especially around Christmas, but please kill yourself. You are a retard.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Professor Shark posted:

More like the whinging forum, innit? - British Comedy

bazinga! - american comedy

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
the office american version was only enjoyable by actual retards, ditto american life on Mars

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
counterpoint: the American office doesn't have ricky gervais' fat smug face in it

i think this one at least supports the ops flawed hypothesis

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Quote-Unquote posted:

Counterpoint: American Red Dwarf and Inbetweeners are loving horrible

Yeah, they stayed too faithful to the British versions.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Torka posted:

the biggest difference when the US remakes a brit show is always that americans can't stand to have anyone who isn't good looking on TV. when a script calls for an ugly character they just dress an attractive person in unflattering clothes

I like how willing brit shows are to have actors you wouldn't want to gently caress in them

LOL. They're stuck with british actors. They don't have a choice

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The Thick of It is so much better than Veep, sorry OP.

At least some of the time you're right (The Office, Steptoe and Son, etc.), but that time, nope.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008
Bridgeport

Gracepoint

David Tennant is the same character with the same lines in both shows.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

HP Hovercraft posted:

Peep Show is better than any American show though.

There was a pilot made of a US version with Leonard off of out of the big bang theory as the Mark character who may still have been called Mark.It was terrible which you may find surprising or unsurprising depending on what you would expect of such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinda
Nov 18, 2005

Spike wins! ....Poor Angel

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Black Books was fantastic, we'd totally ruin it in an American re-make. I'd hate to see who'd they replace Bernard with. The UK Office was really boring though.

brick cow posted:

Bridgeport

Gracepoint

David Tennant is the same character with the same lines in both shows.

Yeah they just took away his Scottish accent and made him do a lovely fake American one.

Lucinda fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 20, 2014

• Locked thread