Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Ping Pong was a good show and I enjoyed watching it

Golden Time was a good show, not as good as Toradora but i still enjoyed watching it. i also forgot it aired in 2014

Amagi Brilliant Park was a good show and i had fun watching it

Haikyuu!! was a good show and i liked watching the volleyboys

Tamako Love Story was a good movie it was sweet and i thought it ended that series well. it had a completely different tone than the series and it was a lot better because of that

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

It's less about the sport than it is about the characters. Ping Pong and Chihayafuru have excellent characterization, with arcs that are well fleshed out on both our heros' sides and their rivals which ultimately don't directly require simply winning or losing their matches. There is a clear distinction in my mind between shows like those and what I guess I'd call hyper-shounen burning passion training montage content like Ippo, Prince of Tennis, or Eyeshield.

Yeah I do wish there was a better way to distinguish those types of shows. Sadly they all just get lumped under "sports anime" and then someone will try watching Prince of Tennis or something and they'll swear off sports anime forever. That has been my biggest barrier when it comes to getting pals to watch Ping Pong! Well, that and the attitude towards sports that a lot of nerds have (I even know someone who loves the hell out of Chihayafuru but doesn't like to admit that it's a sports anime because he enjoys "every genre except sports" so I've had no luck in getting him to check out Ping Pong).

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Srice posted:

(I even know someone who loves the hell out of Chihayafuru but doesn't like to admit that it's a sports anime because he enjoys "every genre except sports" so I've had no luck in getting him to check out Ping Pong).

Ping Pong is too good for this stupid person.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
1) Hunter x Hunter (2011): An ending 15 years in the making that doesn't disappoint, how often does that happen.

2) Chaika - The Coffin Princess: What you always wished DnD campaigns were really like.

3) I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying: cute, fun, short

4) Space Dandy: A grab bag of fun. every episode is something new and different, but somehow you love them all.

5) Rage of Bahamut: Genesis: A card game anime that is not hot garbage. What the hell Japan, now I have to watch the next 30 of these hoping to strike gold twice.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hagop posted:

A card game anime that is not hot garbage. What the hell Japan, now I have to watch the next 30 of these hoping to strike gold twice.

You really don't, as you won't.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

You really don't, as you won't.

You don't know man, maybe someone sent out a memo.

"To all contracted staff, we want to sell more cards, not less. STOP MAKING poo poo!"

-Japan's Wizards of the Coast

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

A lot of people seem to like Chaika, for some reason I remember it being badly received as of season 2.

Edit: this is coming from someone who is skimming this thread for recommendations, I haven't watched it at all

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hagop posted:

5) Rage of Bahamut: Genesis: A card game anime that is not hot garbage. What the hell Japan, now I have to watch the next 30 of these hoping to strike gold twice.

At least if you skip the ones where the characters actually use cards instead of being something like Bahamut then you won't have an overwhelming amount to watch!

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

A lot of people seem to like Chaika, for some reason I remember it being badly received as of season 2.

Edit: this is coming from someone who is skimming this thread for recommendations, I haven't watched it at all

If you haven't watched ping pong, watch ping pong.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I can not recall anyone ever saying anything negative about Chaika, up until the very end of season 2 where the consensus was "that ending was rushed as hell but all things considered still pretty good"

I'm sure someone had something negative to say about Chaika at some point but I honestly can't recall it. Chaika doesn't exactly blow you off your seat with its incredible wonder, but it does almost nothing poorly and the fight scenes are excellently choreographed.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

bonus hole boy posted:

If you haven't watched ping pong, watch ping pong.

It's in my list :shobon:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
1. Ping Pong - Really enjoyed the characters, their development and how their plotlines ended. OST was fitting too.
2. Mushishi S2 - Picked up where we left off with the chillest anime ever.
3. Monthly Girls' Nozaki Kun - Does a good job in filling the void left by Nichibros/Nichijou.
4. Jojo Bizarre Adventure S2 - Was good by JoJo standards but not great.
5. Tonari no Seki-kun - Short and sweet comedy, gets in does what it needs to and gets out.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

Ping Pong was a good show and I enjoyed watching it

Golden Time was a good show, not as good as Toradora but i still enjoyed watching it. i also forgot it aired in 2014

Amagi Brilliant Park was a good show and i had fun watching it

Haikyuu!! was a good show and i liked watching the volleyboys

Tamako Love Story was a good movie it was sweet and i thought it ended that series well. it had a completely different tone than the series and it was a lot better because of that

i hate KLK because it got this guy probated like nineteen times, and his posts make me happy. But Ping Pong was amazing, so you're all still okay! Also thank you so much for letting me know there is a Tamako MOVIE.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun)
Amazing characters, VAs, the Director really nailed the comedic timing. I think I only gave it a shot because people here in ADTRW were raving about it. I was hooked in one episode. Got my friends to give it a shot and they all loved it.

Gundam Build Fighters
Just some good old fun with tons of silly Gundam references and some of the best fight scenes in years for the franchise.

Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken -Stardust Crusaders-
Not finished, but still an amazing adaption. Joseph is perfect.

Barakamon
Well animated, awesome VAs, just plain fun and good times. Manga is adorable and it was great to watch the anime match up.

Log Horizon
Funny take on the "stuck in a video game" trope. Tons of weird politics and NPC interaction make it interesting, especially when compared to the similar premise of Sword Art.

Honorable mentions to Fate/Stay Night which isnt done yet and Hunter X Hunter because its an awesome adaption. 2nd Honorable mention to Kill La Kill being the only other show besides the above that I actually finished this year.

KoB fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 22, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

It's less about the sport than it is about the characters. Ping Pong and Chihayafuru have excellent characterization, with arcs that are well fleshed out on both our heros' sides and their rivals which ultimately don't directly require simply winning or losing their matches. There is a clear distinction in my mind between shows like those and what I guess I'd call hyper-shounen burning passion training montage content like Ippo, Prince of Tennis, or Eyeshield.
This comparison doesn't really apply because what made Chihayafuru great in my mind is that it made me care about a show that I had a giant cultural barrier towards. There was dramatic card slapping and crying when people won/lost and dramatic music swells, and metaphorical visuals based on the poems on the cards. There might not have been any training montages, but the characters clearly had a ton of passion and cared a lot about what they were doing. The show was about the characters, but it was totally about karuta, too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I enjoyed Chihayafuru, but couldn't get into Ping Pong for some reason. I don't think I could really articulate why, it just didn't engage with me for some reason.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A lot of people, when they really love an anime or manga, will completely overlook an aspect of it in order to get over their embarrassment about it. Attack On Titan isn't formula shonen but really a survival story, or Madoka isn't really a magical girl show but some kind of "deconstruction". "It's not about the sport but it's really about the characters!" ignores the fact that, even in great sports anime like Ping Pong or Chihayafuru, the characters themselves are shaped by the sport they play.

This is not a bad thing, because sports are awesome and make good narratives. Ping pong as a sport is something that people can take way too seriously and miss the joy in it, which is a theme a lot of people can relate to even if you know nothing about ping pong. Same with karuta being someone no one understands but also something very engaging, particularly for high schoolers who have the kind of time to get really into something like that. These shows are smart enough to end up saying something you can understand even if you know nothing about the sport, but in the end they really are about the sport.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

ninjewtsu posted:

I can not recall anyone ever saying anything negative about Chaika, up until the very end of season 2 where the consensus was "that ending was rushed as hell but all things considered still pretty good"

I'm sure someone had something negative to say about Chaika at some point but I honestly can't recall it. Chaika doesn't exactly blow you off your seat with its incredible wonder, but it does almost nothing poorly and the fight scenes are excellently choreographed.

Nah, I dropped Chaika first season due to boredom and a lack of discussion about it and was genuinely surprised people were looking forward to the second season. But in disclosure I was probably also looking at the opinions of bad posters and doing the opposite.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Devil Tesla posted:

A lot of people, when they really love an anime or manga, will completely overlook an aspect of it in order to get over their embarrassment about it. Attack On Titan isn't formula shonen but really a survival story, or Madoka isn't really a magical girl show but some kind of "deconstruction". "It's not about the sport but it's really about the characters!" ignores the fact that, even in great sports anime like Ping Pong or Chihayafuru, the characters themselves are shaped by the sport they play.

This is not a bad thing, because sports are awesome and make good narratives. Ping pong as a sport is something that people can take way too seriously and miss the joy in it, which is a theme a lot of people can relate to even if you know nothing about ping pong. Same with karuta being someone no one understands but also something very engaging, particularly for high schoolers who have the kind of time to get really into something like that. These shows are smart enough to end up saying something you can understand even if you know nothing about the sport, but in the end they really are about the sport.

I somewhat agree with this.

Let me try to articulate why Chihayafuru and Ping Pong are actually rather different shows. Chihayafuru tells the story of how a group of highschoolers have their life shaped by this strange sport called karuta, but it is also about Chihaya's boundless passion for the game and how it affects the people around her. In short, the sport of karuta itself is a co-protagonist of the story. In Ping Pong, the sport is only a framework for the character drama between Kong, Smile, Peco, and Kazama. This could be tennis, or badminton, or squash, and the story wouldn't really change. But you couldn't possibly do that in Chihayafuru because karuta is as much a part of the story as the characters.

That's the key different that I see between the two shows.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My problem with Chaika is that it felt virtually identical to Scrapped Princess (same author) but less interesting. And I guess if the second season has a rushed ending that makes it even more similar.

Endorph posted:

This comparison doesn't really apply because what made Chihayafuru great in my mind is that it made me care about a show that I had a giant cultural barrier towards. There was dramatic card slapping and crying when people won/lost and dramatic music swells, and metaphorical visuals based on the poems on the cards. There might not have been any training montages, but the characters clearly had a ton of passion and cared a lot about what they were doing. The show was about the characters, but it was totally about karuta, too.
If you're interpreting my post as meaning that the sport doesn't matter as a factor towards making these particular shows good, then that was not my intention. Chihayafuru did a very good job of presenting its unusual sport in an appealing manner, both in how the matches would play out and the visual/audio aesthetics. I would agree that in general I was invested in the outcomes, and one of my praises of the second season is that it truly did feel like it was a team I had been following in real life which may be about the highest sort of praise a "sport anime" can receive at least with respect to the sport it is ostensibly presenting. I was merely trying to highlight what I feel is a difference inherit seemingly more in the demographics' styles, presentations and general focus; Josei (Chihaya) & Seinen (Ping Pong) vs. the glut of shounen stories that seem to be a dime a dozen. To put it more simply, the writing just seems a whole lot better with these shows and while that is arguably most easily demonstrated by the characterization it likely extends downwards to the presentation and portrayal of the sports as well.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

This could be tennis, or badminton, or squash, and the story wouldn't really change.

Squash The Animation: wanting to get in shape over his lunch break, company man Smile's life is changed forever when he meets squash hero Peco.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

My problem with Chaika is that it felt virtually identical to Scrapped Princess (same author) but less interesting.

i feel the other way, scrapped princess took itself more seriously but didn't have the chops to back it up. chaika's just a lot more fun

also chaika's ending was rushed but good, while scrapped princess's was just dumb

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Aldnoah Zero: The one mecha series I've watched that didn't have the MC gain a super secret mecha somewhere between the first and last episodes. It's going to be a trainwreck but it'll be a glorious trainwreck experience to be had by all~

Kill la Kill: OK, it was dumb but there were a lot of unique character designs and battle scenes. I want to call this series experimental because it had interesting animation but story didn't really go anywhere. Oh well.

Noragami: I want to say this series is one of Bones' shining examples of what they do well shounen, fantastical monster battles, and MCs who don't take themselves too seriously. Although, it's a short series but I did find it entertaining enough to start following the original manga.

Pyscho-Pass 2: Different cast and different plot but continues to be the same intriguing setting. I liked watching Akane follow her own goals and become a experienced Inspector but not lose her optimism for a better future. I could write a 5 paragraph essay on what I liked or disliked but no time for that here.

Zankyou no Terror (Terror in Resonance): If I were to base it on animation/OST purely then it'd be a 8/10 but the writing is a partial let down. We had an interesting set-up with individual storylines but no real resolution at the end. It'd function better as a 20+ episode series but so it goes.

Honorable Mentions
Free! -Eternal Summer- (s2)
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun)
Mushishi Zoku Shou (s2)
Tonari no Seki-kun

Side notes: I wanted to watch Mushishi S2 but never got around to completing the entire season :v:

Alder fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Dec 22, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alder posted:

Aldnoah Zero: The one mecha series I've watched that didn't have the MC gain a super secret mecha somewhere between the first and last episodes. It's going to be a trainwreck but it'll be a glorious trainwreck experience to be had by all~

If what you want out of the genre is a series with no top secret super powerful mechs then it sounds like you could use some Votoms and/or Macross, stat.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Srice posted:

If what you want out of the genre is a series with no top secret super powerful mechs then it sounds like you could use some Votoms and/or Macross, stat.

I tried Macross but it was kinda like is this a sci-fi idol show? I don't really like idol/musical shows.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alder posted:

I tried Macross but it was kinda like is this a sci-fi idol show? I don't really like idol/musical shows.

Macross Plus has that at a minimum and is the best Macross thing out there as well as being only 4 episodes so that could be worth a shot.

I can guarantee that Votoms has no idols or musical shows though!

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Srice posted:

No its better than that because the super mechs are there, they are just what you would expect super mechs to look like after being constantly tweaked by a group of autistic knight lords honor dueling each other for 15 years while seething over a war they never got to fight.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hagop posted:

No its better than that because the super mechs are there, they are just what you would expect super mechs to look like after being constantly tweaked by a group of autistic knight lords honor dueling each other for 15 years while seething over a war they never got to fight.

I have watched it and I just didn't care for the show in general but I can see the appeal. In my eyes it definitely doesn't compare to either of those series I mentioned though :v:

(Also putting it like that kinda reminds me of Nadesico?)

Hagop
May 14, 2012

Srice posted:

I have watched it and I just didn't care for the show in general but I can see the appeal. In my eyes it definitely doesn't compare to either of those series I mentioned though :v:

(Also putting it like that kinda reminds me of Nadesico?)

Yah, "better than that" was likely the wrong turn of phase.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome
This was actually tough to throw together this year. I was going to wait until I caught up on a few shows, but whatever, I can edit later if I have to.

5) World Conquest Zvezda Plot - Yes, the outfits were ridiculous, there's a reason this is in the #5 spot. Other than that, Zvezda was the rare kind of show that's capable of crafting a fun story that's actually About Things without also having to pretend to be a Super Totally Serious Cartoon For Grown-Ups.

4) Chaika the Coffin Princess - Probably not a groundbreaking or Earth-shattering story, but certainly a confident production from people who knew what they were doing. Fun characters, good fight choreography, and just enough thematic weight to set it apart from every other generic disposable action-adventure show.

3) Barakamon - Not exactly the most ambitious show ever, but a strong central focus and a broad sense of humor absolutely elevated the material far above what I expected from this kind of show.

2) Terror in Resonance - Definitely flawed, and understandably divisive. ZanTero is the kind of angry, pointed, ideas-over-narrative show that I just have to respect the gently caress out of. Also aesthetically gorgeous and beautifully scored, it's pretty easy for me to overlook a few misfires in the plot and character departments.

1) Hanamonogatari - Eyup. Another year, another Monogatari entry on the top of my list. This one being possibly the densest single arc while also being one of the easiest to parse is a pretty clear indication that Monogatari has finally settled into its own. I wasn't sure Shinbo and crew would be able to maintain the careful equilibrium they somehow stumbled into with Second Season, but I think they've basically perfected the formula at this point. And hell if it don't work like a charm. Keep this poo poo coming, based Shaft.

Honorable Mentions
Log Horizon - Pretty much exactly what I wanted SAO to be. Not only does this show use the game setting to make the most of its concepts and ideas, but it also has a more heartfelt, even intimate understanding of both gamers and gamer culture than just about any piece of non-game media I've ever seen.

Knights of Sidonia - I have to wonder how much higher this would have been without the awkward CGI faces. Also without all the Chosen One Harem Protagonist poo poo.

Rage of Bahamut - How the hell does this even exist? No seriously, how is this show even real, I don't understand. If every electronic mobile card game tie-in was like this, it would literally save anime.

Amagi Brilliant Park - A welcome return to form for KyoAni after a string of disasters. Too bad the show was never really more ambitious than One-Joke Premise and Surprise Melodrama.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Hagop posted:

Plus by the end of the first season, it's revealed that the big bad guy's super robot somehow has all of the super robot gimmick features that the protagonists had encountered earlier. Yet despite being menacing at first, super robot still managed to get beaten down and wrecked by multiple grunt mechs because the pilots already knew how to counter and mitigate those gimmicks. It was glorious. :allears:

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 23, 2014

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Ping Pong: its super loving good. SUPER FUCKIN GOOD

JoJo: Its more JoJo and is almost incapable of being bad at this point

the only other show i watched much of this year was space dandy, but only the first season so thats an honorable mention i guess.

coathat
May 21, 2007

5. Jojo's
4. Love Live
3. Ping Pong
2. Nozaki-kun
1. Soni-Ani: SUPER SONICO THE ANIMATION

Metal Ray Sunshine
Jun 16, 2009

Muta's Mating Dance Rates a 5 on the Muta Scale
Here is my best anime in no particular order

Space Dandy - This show was fantastic. Every episode felt different while having an overarching story, and the characters were so drat likeable. I loved basically every episode, and the worst thing about the series was that it ended.

Kill La Kill - There are a lot of complaints about this show, and almost all of them valid, but I just love how weird and over the top it is, especially with a limited budget.

Tonari no Seki-kun - every episode was fun! Even when most episodes were in one setting, they make it one of the best shows of the year!

Amagi Brilliant Park - Random fanservice aside, this show actually is very interesting. The characters are fun, the animation is good, and Tiramie is an awful creature who should never be trusted.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun - Many have mentioned this show already, so all I really have to say is that the characters are crazy, dumb and loveable~ Also it's a fun little love story

Honorable Mentions

Is This Order a Rabbit - This show is very very cute, though has absolutely no story.

Engaged to the Unidentified - I am only about six episodes into this show, but I am loving it so far! Animation is great, and the story is good, if a little odd

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions -Heart Throb- - While not as good as the first season, it was still a cute continuation of a love story that involves two awkward people who are kinda mentally unstable.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

#1 Venture Bros: 21's Character arcs speak to my soul. I also think Col Hunter Gathers is my spirit animal.

#2 Archer Vice: I really like how they slimmed down Pam and made her more down to earth.

#3 South Park: Jesus Christ Cock Magic was amazing. Also the revelation that Randy Marsh is LORDE Ya Ya Ya

#4 Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher: Finally happy to see my buddy the Punisher punishing.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

1.Space Dandy

2. JoJo

3. Kill la Kill

4. Ping Pong

5. Tale of Princess Kaguya

My list took me a while to think about, and it should come with the caveat that I essentially consider that top 3 a big tie for No.1 this year, in descending order of personal fondness. I love all three for pretty similar reasons; they're riotous, wildly entertaining spectacles of visual creativity, with great casts and passion exploding from every cel. All five picks demonstrate the potential of animation, but Jojo and KlK in particular have an expert grasp on what really makes an action show pulse, while Dandy provided some of the most visually inventive sci-fi in ages. All three always had something new to show(unless you happened to have read Jojo already...), everybody has their favorite episodes, I love them all the more for their flaws, and catching each new ep week to week with my now-husband has been the most fun I've had watching anime in maybe ever.

Ping Pong was a lovely surprise, crafting a small, but relatable and insightful story about how sport and passion molds and changes people, for good and bad, and while I saw Kaguya and The Wind Rises this year, Kaguya slightly edges out for me. Got a soft spot for how Isao Takahata can match vignette storytelling with simple but impeccable animation and an eye for detail to effortlessly evoke such wonderfully little human moments. It's a gorgeous, vastly ambitious film and easily among the least narration-heavy of his works, also a big plus!

Honorable mentions to Mushishi, which would prolly make my list if I could ever bring myself to keep up with it regularly, The Wind Rises, and Terror in Resonance, Aldnoah.Zero and Pyscho-Pass 2 all get special mention for consistently and reliably pissing off my twitter timeline.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Drinkfist posted:

#1 Venture Bros: 21's Character arcs speak to my soul. I also think Col Hunter Gathers is my spirit animal.

#2 Archer Vice: I really like how they slimmed down Pam and made her more down to earth.

#3 South Park: Jesus Christ Cock Magic was amazing. Also the revelation that Randy Marsh is LORDE Ya Ya Ya

#4 Avengers Confidential: Black Widow & Punisher: Finally happy to see my buddy the Punisher punishing.

how did Rick and Morty not make the list the gently caress is wrong with you.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

paragon1 posted:

how did Rick and Morty not make the list the gently caress is wrong with you.

I have only seen the one episode of Rick and Morty and when I remembered that it could make the list it left me on a Superjail rabbit hole. If anything I should have put Superjail up there but I already was using too much bait to pull you fucks back down to earth in your weebo bullshit.

Drinkfist fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 23, 2014

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Also how the gently caress does a show about ping pong get a following. I can't even be driven to watch most sports let alone one about a game that Forest Gump is the obvious king of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Drinkfist posted:

Also how the gently caress does a show about ping pong get a following. I can't even be driven to watch most sports let alone one about a game that Forest Gump is the obvious king of.

watch it and find out!!!!

• Locked thread