Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Top 5

1. Gekkan Shoujou Nozaki-kun: I was hyped as gently caress when I heard about the animated adaptation, and it didn't disappoint at all. I seriously wish this had gone on for at least one more season, but then again given how popular it was it probably will return soon enough. Every character except Maeno (loving tanukis) was the best character, though Seo was the best among even them.
2. Kill la Kill: A ha ha. This loving anime. So loving divisive. I loved the wackiness, the music, the fourth-wall shenanigans, the music, the fights, and so forth. There were a lot of things that it could have done without, but even so I consider it to be one of the best this year. Also I really liked the music. Like Nozaki, every character was the best character and Senketsu was the best bro.
3. Unlimited Blade Works: ufotable always delivers. The fight scenes are amazing, and I'm enjoying even the talky episodes. I guess ufotable + Type-Moon is a just a naturally winning combination. Given that I've never actually read the Fate series (I mostly just read wiki articles, fan comics, and watched the Deen Fate/stay night and ufotable's Fate/zero), it's really interesting to see how stuff actually happened and why. Makes me want the Heaven's Fall version sooner so best Servant Rider can finally stand in the spotlight.
4. Is the Order a Rabbit?: I started watching this because someone said there was a talking rabbit voiced by Norio Wakamoto but it pretty much became my chill-time anime. No drama, just girls talking about coffee and rabbits. It's interesting to watch Chino grow as a character under Cocoa's influence, and I just like how the characters interact with one another. Also, Chiya is the best.
5. Barakamon: Charming, funny, and quite heartwarming. Handa's evolution as a character and how he comes to accept Naru and the rest of the island was pretty sweet. The voice acting for Naru was also really good.

Honorable Mentions and Other poo poo

Inou Battle: Hatoko's outburst against Andou was pretty much one of my favorite moments in anime. Hayami Saori was loving amazing when voicing Hatoko and now I actually care about voice actors.
Engaged to the Unidentified: I don't remember how I found this, but I was glad I did. When Chu2 S2 failed to satisfy my craving for anime romance, this was here to make up for it in spades. It wasn't really something amazing, but I liked the characters and the relationship between the main couple. I think of it as the hidden gem of whatever season it aired in, since I don't think I saw anyone talking about it.
Sabagebu: Bitches be crazy. In an amusing way.
Amagi Brilliant Park: Came for characters named after rappers, stayed for theme park shenanigans with mascots. Probably the first KyoAni thing I've seen since Lucky Star, and I liked it quite a lot.
Puchim@s 2: Wait, this was this season? I loved the first season, and I liked what I saw of the second. I also binged through the manga. Mindless short fun.
Rage of Bahamut: I tried the smartphone game way like 2 years back and wasn't particularly impressed. I took a look at the ADTRW thread for it and thought the gifs were awesome, so I gave it a try and got hooked. This may be the only anime to use 3D/CGI dragons and not be poo poo?
Hunter x Hunter 2011: Pretty much the best adaptation of a shounen manga that I've seen. No stupid fillers, a total of 1(!) recap episode waaaaay early on, and fantastically animated. It helps that Togashi is really good at creating a manga. If only he'd come back from his hiatus.

Stuff I should watch

JoJo: Seriously, the gifs look amazing. I want to know why the mustache guy was punching that frog flat. I need to know.
Hanamonogatari: Also Nekomonogatari, why haven't I watched that yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Metal Ray Sunshine posted:

Engaged to the Unidentified - I am only about six episodes into this show, but I am loving it so far! Animation is great, and the story is good, if a little odd

You are the only other person to mention this anime and I love you for it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I haven't watched Ping Pong yet so I don't think it's good or boring.

I'm the Schrodinger's Opinion on Ping Pong. This is very deep and intellectual.

I am very deep and intellectual.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say it's a tie between Nozaki and Truthism, the two great finds of the year.

There's also Hero Academia, which is amazing as well.

• Locked thread