Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Nathilus posted:

How rear end in a top hat cops and people like Zimmerman get to kill people without then getting killed in retaliation themselves is beyond me.

it's not really a mystery, wishing death on people is common but humans who have the will to actually carry out a planned murder (as opposed to a heat-of-the-moment rage killing) are quite rare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

One major modern revelation in the field of military psychology is the observation that such resistance to killing one's own species is also a key factor in human combat. *Brig. Gen. S. L. A. Marshall first observed this during his work as an official U.S. Army historian in the Pacific and European theaters of operations in World War II. Based on his post-combat interviews, Marshall concluded in his book Men Against Fire (1946, 1978) that only 15 to 20 percent of the individual riflemen in World War II fired their own weapons at an exposed enemy soldier. Key weapons, such as *flame-throwers, were usually fired. Crew-served weapons, such as *machine guns, almost always were fired. And action would increase greatly if a nearby leader demanded that the soldier fire. But when left on their own, the great majority of individual combatants appear to have been unable or unwilling to kill.

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Pon de Bundy posted:

dorner was a really kewl dude and if you dont think so you're probably a little bitch

he was really unambiguously mentally ill

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

Nathilus posted:

Disagree. It's buried in all of us, some more deeply than others. I'm not saying that humanity is ignoble or anything that's a value judgement and thus worthless in this context. But the will to enact violence is not only within our mentalities but in our very physical and genetic makeup. It doesn't take much to turn one of those soldiers that won't fire at another human being on their own, or even someone far more passive, into a screeching savage. Mob mentality proves that point well enough that I don't feel the need to explain further than that.

my theory explains the reality you were remarking on (retaliatory cop killings are extremely unusual even when cops are publicly getting away with murder themselves), yours doesn't

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

haha the chick at 29s who clearly likes what she's seeing is the best part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

protesting in general is a pussy way to get what you want. Like a tantrum on a large scale. No wonder France has bigger ones.

yeah people should express their dissatisfaction with the police in a more direct, manly way I guess, say by shooting a couple of em dead

• Locked thread