Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Rorus Raz posted:

Varvel's was just a list of the stuff he was in along with a picture of Williams dressed as Mork.

The Williams cartoons weren't bad so much as mostly very low-effort and samey.

vyelkin posted:

I think I remember there being a few that basically said "Suicide is great because now all your pain is over, Robin" that were phrased really poorly to pretty much endorse suicide if you have any emotional problems at all.

This was pretty much the closest to bad cartoons. There obviously wasn't a place for racism or misogyny or any of the other notes that the regulars commonly hit. Just a number of bland ones and some that were really tone deaf to the point of almost glorifying suicide. Still pretty bad, but not really on the same scale as what's frequently seen here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Yeah, it's interesting that the categories are weighted to the last three news cycles or so. Not only are Ebola and Ukraine missing categories, but as I noted, illegal immigration is too (because least concealed bigotry means immigration has to compete with police brutality and Middle East politics, which also get their own standalone categories on top of that)

A category for The Interview struck me as weird, since there were definitely more standout Ukraine, Immigration, Ebola, and even Golfing Obama toons, and those were harped on much longer. Even this year's batch of "If Global Warm Why Cold" morons had a richer selection, I thought. The topical categories make it look like only the last two months matter.

Admitting, of course, that the police brutality and CIA torture issues certainly have brought out the absolute worst bile from the usual hacks.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Garrand posted:

This was pretty much the closest to bad cartoons. There obviously wasn't a place for racism or misogyny or any of the other notes that the regulars commonly hit. Just a number of bland ones and some that were really tone deaf to the point of almost glorifying suicide. Still pretty bad, but not really on the same scale as what's frequently seen here.

Honestly I think more crap was posted about good cartoons on the topic, like Erika Moen's, than was discussed about the usual suspects' offerings.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I feel like Gorrel should get a lifetime achievement award for lazy cartooning and then be disqualified from future aborties. Dudes in a league of his own.

The Catalino bat boy obama seems like a sure thing for worst caricature.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Nativity In Black posted:

I feel like Gorrel should get a lifetime achievement award for lazy cartooning and then be disqualified from future aborties. Dudes in a league of his own.

The Catalino bat boy obama seems like a sure thing for worst caricature.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Can we just give Branco a lifetime award for being the dumbest motherfucker alive and call it a day?

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Give someone else a chance. Someone with an exciting, new bad caricature.

Why have awards at all if we're not willing to give them to the absolute worst shitlords of all time? It's not like we need to be inclusive and give sympathy votes to up-and-comers.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Here's the old threads if Chamale wants to put them in the OP?

2012: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523762&pagenumber=1
2013: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3596352&pagenumber=1

My opinion on blocking Gorell from going for a dynasty after winning after his three-peat depends entirely on if we're allowed to update these guy's wiki pages?

Bob Gorell's Wiki page posted:

Awards:
2012 Laziest Cartoon of the year.
2013 Laziest Cartoon of the year.
2014 Laziest Cartoon of the year.
2015 Laziest Cartoon of the year.
2016 Laziest Cartoon of the year.
2017 Laziest Cartoon of the year."

It could be his legacy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Just rename the award to The Robert Gorrell Achievement in Underachievement Award

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Rorus Raz posted:

Just rename the award to The Robert Gorrell Achievement in Underachievement Award
You mean "*

Gorrel"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Gorrel is so lazy but I feel there should be some recognition for Catalino's 'so lazy it warps back around into being effort' thing he's got going.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Gorrel is so lazy but I feel there should be some recognition for Catalino's 'so lazy it warps back around into being effort' thing he's got going.

I'm beginning to suspect that Catalino has a meticulously organized system of "art" assets for copy/pasting. How else would he so readily pull up things from forgotten cartoons from years ago?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
To offset the natural bias toward recent cartoons and events, I'm going to try to post nominees from the first half of the year where possible.

Worst Middle East Cartoon

Worst Police Brutality Cartoon

Worst Torture Report Cartoon

Worst The Interview Cartoon

Worst cartoon about a tragedy

Worst caricature

Goombama always and forever the worst caricature.

Worst "A Thing Happened" cartoon

Worst Label

Things you can blame on Bergdahl. Deserting his post, Obama's decision to do a prisoner exchange, Obama's decision to not involve Congress, and Ross Gosse.

Least concealed bigotry in a cartoon
Laziest cartoon
Most easily reinterpreted
Overall worst political cartoon of the year

Best Edit/Parody
The nomination is for the entire collection of Ye Fowl Herald, not just this one.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 23, 2014

Funosaurus
May 28, 2009

Worst caricature
Worst Label

Laziest cartoon

Best edit/parody

I think the edit really complements the art style on this one.

Funosaurus fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 22, 2014

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

God are there some Gay Abortions this year.

Kirschen is a hard bar to top, but let's no forget the contributions of Greenberg in promoting the narrative of "evil palestinians throwing their children in front of honorable Israeli missiles."
EDIT: thanks Not My Leg for catching this. Fixed.

I, monstrous Eric Holder, by saying that the police are racist, am in fact the real racist.

Ramirez you disingenuous poo poo, you cheer for the death of Arabs daily.

Child refugees from Central America are a human rights disaster, but let's no lose focus on the real issue here: Amnesty, and how Obama keeps hitting it with a stick to make Latino votes fall out.

Worst caricature

Can't let 2014 pass without remembering the tornado of misogyny and stupidity that was Gamergate.
"Drawing our enemies as anti-Semitic caricatures will make us look super awesome and cool, like the Nazis."

Glenn McCoy here to tell you that the Rams are a bunch of race hustling poseurs.

And yet somehow Gary is the evil brother. Just look at this: the pants, the lips, the backwards letters, the Obama shirt. No doubt in his mind that all African-Americans are sub-human filth waiting for the first opportunity to riot and loot.

I remember when this was first posted in black and white it prompted three pages of "what the gently caress is this scribbly mess?" Then he released it in color, and it got no better. Star Wars reference. Pee pee doo doo Obama is a gay robot. Just look at the composition, the proportions, the intended message. Political cartoons are not art, and this is exhibit A.

Biffmotron fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Dec 22, 2014

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Varvel's was just a list of the stuff he was in along with a picture of Williams dressed as Mork.

The Williams cartoons weren't bad so much as mostly very low-effort and samey.

Much like the Maya Angelou cartoons, 99% of which were just an empty birdcage or something. I think Darrin Bell was the only one to put any effort into his.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Biffmotron posted:

God are there some Gay Abortions this year.

Kirschen is a hard bar to top, but let's no forget the contributions of Greenberg in promoting the narrative of "evil palestinians throwing their children in front of honorable Israeli missiles."

Child refugees from Central America are a human rights disaster, but let's no lose focus on the real issue here: Amnesty, and how Obama keeps hitting it with a stick to make Latino votes fall out.

Pretty sure you meant to post a different cartoon for the first one.

E: Fixed

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 23, 2014

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Biffmotron posted:

I remember when this was first posted in black and white it prompted three pages of "what the gently caress is this scribbly mess?" Then he released it in color, and it got no better. Star Wars reference. Pee pee doo doo Obama is a gay robot. Just look at the composition, the proportions, the intended message. Political cartoons are not art, and this is exhibit A.

Who's Han Solo supposed to be?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Poroshenko, I guess?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Biffmotron posted:

You probably meant to nominate this in the (sadly non-existent) "What the hell are you even trying to say here" / "Absolutely no thought given to the message" category.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I changed it in my original post too, but just to be sure, here's my new nominee for Worst Police Brutality cartoon. Thanks Glenn!

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Biffmotron posted:

Worst caricature

Can't let 2014 pass without remembering the tornado of misogyny and stupidity that was Gamergate.
"Drawing our enemies as anti-Semitic caricatures will make us look super awesome and cool, like the Nazis."

That's a parody. Right?

right?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ballz posted:

That's a parody. Right?

right?

It's a parody of an old "shifty, hook-nosed Jew" racist cartoon from some white power website. Given the general demeanor of the Gamergate movement, I don't doubt that drawing it again with Anita Sarkeesian is intended to be taken seriously to some degree.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Xander77 posted:

You probably meant to nominate this in the (sadly non-existent) "What the hell are you even trying to say here" / "Absolutely no thought given to the message" category.

The Nonsense This Is An Election Year Award for excellence in confusion and/or thread derailing.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm just impressed that they found a way to make their attacks on a non-Jewish person anti-semitic.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's a parody of an old "shifty, hook-nosed Jew" racist cartoon from some white power website. Given the general demeanor of the Gamergate movement, I don't doubt that drawing it again with Anita Sarkeesian is intended to be taken seriously to some degree.

Sadly yes.

etc.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Dry bones ebing antisemitic? Tell em more!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
I have finished my nominations, the rest of you guys probably should too.

Also we totally forgot about a Bergdahl category. Still, feel free to browse starting at page 700 in the main thread if you want some really loving bad cartoons/good nominations:

(You're supposed to think Bergdahl's a coward/the bad guy in the last cartoon, believe it or not.)

Unfortunately my nominations are already too full to fit any Bergdahl cartoons in. Also Michael Ramirez needs to loving die already.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 23, 2014

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

fade5 posted:

I have finished my nominations, the rest of you guys should probably too.

Mine are done too.

So many terrible cartoons this year. So many terrible cartoons ahead of us. Just think, in about a week we'll be starting out on another month of Mallard's predictions. I think he did at least twenty of them this year, anyone want to take bets on how long it'll be before the hangover wears off and Tinsley feels like doing any work in 2015?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I just figured someone made it to satirize GGers by showing them how ridiculous and warped their view of Anita is and

Oh. Nevermind then.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Jerking off to your mancrush over a tragedy is pretty gross.

Worst caricature

Worst Label

Laziest cartoon

Seriously. Your drinking tea at an outdoor cafe you gently caress.

Best edit/parody

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Schizotek posted:

This is just so infuriating. The man has no idea what it's like living in fear of airstrikes.

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

Worst caricature

Ramirez's Obama may be unrecognizable, but Bok's Obama is more painful to look at.

Worst Label

What??

Laziest cartoon

Best edit/parody

I'll keep adding to this later.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The Nonsense This Is An Election Year Award for excellence in confusion and/or thread derailing.

This would be my nomination if it existed

I defy anyone to make the slightest bit of sense of this

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

swampland posted:

... A metaphor for Bills/Bengals games?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

swampland posted:

The girl is a literal representation of a statue of a girl with a shark head, which used to be on the waterfront. Buffalo, NY bought it from Cincinnati. An Incredibly Literal Cartoon about a sharkheaded statue.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Well you win then, I know nothing about any of these things so to me it just looks like a bizarre collection of symbols

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Abyssal Squid posted:

The girl is a literal representation of a statue of a girl with a shark head, which used to be on the waterfront. Buffalo, NY bought it from Cincinnati. An Incredibly Literal Cartoon about a sharkheaded statue.

So the buffalo from buffalo in the cartoon is pulling a ruse "by dangling money over the shark" by snatching the statue away as the article states, but the ruse is kind of on the buyer imho (I dunno, I think it looks silly).

I'm just sayin'

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
Worst Middle East Cartoon and Worst Overall Cartoon

Worst caricature

Laziest Cartoon

Best Edit/Parody
The collective works of Ye Fowl Herald

Karl Rove fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 25, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Schizotek posted:

Jerking off to your mancrush over a tragedy is pretty gross.

I wonder what pathetic nonsense Branco would spout off now that the Rouble is collapsing and the Russian economy is on the road to implosion? NATO didn't nuke Russia or whatever the poo poo Branco wanted* because we didn't have to, we control the money, we'll just grind them into dust.

* That's a trick, what Branco wants is the President to be a white man with a 'normal' name and an R next to it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

uh it's an A. Wyatt Mann cartoon. It's satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I had not seen that. That is unbelievable.

• Locked thread