Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in. My stepdad had every season on DVD and they've been sitting around for years now with nobody watching them. I tried to start watching about 3 years ago but I only made it halfway through the first season, so I won't be going in 100% blind. Plus I've seen about 5-10 episodes here and there throughout the years (even a few of them on their original live air date) I'd catch one with my parents or a roommate every now and then. I'm spoiled on some larger plot arcs, but that's not really what I'm interested in watching for anyways. When I last saw them it was before I had watched Mad Men, Breaking Bad, etc. and I hadn't really learned to appreciate the concept of a character study.

The little bit that I've seen here and there always really impressed me, and obviously people rave about it all the time. When I go back and watch shows that are no longer airing I'll occasionally find its TVIV thread in the archives for some extra insight, so a rewatch sounds perfect!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is anyone else going to be watching this blind, or even somewhat blind like me?

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I finally got around to watching the first episode last night. I think I had been putting it off because, even though my first attempt at watching it was way back in early 2010, I remembered how dated it looked even then. I also felt like I already knew everything that was going to happen and that made it harder to get motivated to watch over, say, season 2 of Hannibal which I just started last night.

That being said, once I finally did buckle down and watch it, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I picked up on / noticed a lot more than I did the first time around (I don't think I had as much of an appreciation or tolerance for the slower dialogue-heavy scenes back then). Most of the thoughts I had while watching have already been mentioned but here are some things I saw.

Yeah, it's really dated. Melfie's outfit in the first scene looked like a 90's costume. There was a moment where we got a glimpse of Meadow's computer screen and an internet browser, which was of course old as hell, but I was actually kind of surprised to see it. This was 99, right? That's pretty early for a teenage girl to have her own computer with internet capabilities, which I think speaks mostly to the Soprano's wealth.

Interesting that they've already established a brother vs. son fight for control over the family, almost amusingly reminded me of Game of Thrones. Both have "legitimate claims" but the one who steps up and grabs it will be the one with all the power. Unfortunately I already have some vague idea of how things will pan out, but regardless I have I feeling I'll still enjoy Junior's scenes the most, or really any internal family power-wrestling that occurs.

Again, not too many thoughts since I'm late to the discussion and have seen this one before. In the future I hope to be more punctual with my reactions and maybe even do a bit of live posting or something.

• Locked thread