Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ive never followed any of the rewatch threads so I dont know the rules wrt spoilers and poo poo but I think we should just post in the other thread for spoilery/forshadowy poo poo. Its not that hard to follow two threads at once and I know if i was watching it for teh first time I wouldnt want to have to scroll past pages of spoilered text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

pentyne posted:

All right, time for the second episode of season 1.

Anyone on the fence about continuing you'll see a noticeable increase in the overall quality of the show from this point on. It slowly increases until by the end of the season anyone who tries to say the show is "overrated" or "mediocre" is just objectively wrong. There are minor things you could complain about and nitpick, but on the whole the show is flawless.

For some background, the first couple of episodes HBO was exerting a lot of pressure on David Chase for how they wanted the show to go and what their marketing/research department said would bring in the most viewers. Today, everyone knows that Sopranos set the standard for serious TV drama but at the start it was regarded as another shock-a-thon like Oz or Sex in the City. Chase eventually won out through sheer perseverance, and got free reign to craft the story he wanted without a exec leaning over his shoulder and saying "No, this won't work, viewers won't like this" and having to scrap ideas.

For anyone going in fresh, the one thing I'd mention is to take a look at how Tony and co. are portrayed when doing "good things" for civilians who are friends/associates etc. Another major thing is how the rampant drug use among the up and coming young guys is exactly the kind of poo poo that gets people 25-life from either dealing or bad decision making and why the "golden age" is over and done with.

I think this episode would've been a better pilot to draw people into the Soprano's, but the entire thing with Melfi and Tony's internal issues needed a ton of time for them to establish a working relationship and set the stage for what comes next.

It's funny that the success of the Sopranos has allowed HBO to just hand people money for their shows and say "have at it" these days without any oversight.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Your uncle Pussy?

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Anyone still watching? I'm watching Season 1 Episode 7 right now. The one where Tony's mom finds out about him going to the psychiatrist. Lots of great flashbacks to Tony's childhood and his mom being just about the biggest bitch in tv history. Just wanna smother her with a pillow. Really good episode

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Good show

• Locked thread