Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Klaus Kinski posted:

I can confirm that driving trucks for mining/construction/oil related business is way better than driving long haul.
I can confirm that LTL is way better than driving long haul.

To the OP: Go to a community college truck driving course, you will get more seat time and more one-on-one instruction. One of the guys in my class got his unemployment insurance to pay for it, and some companies will re-imburse you for it, so even the upfront costs can be defrayed. I would suggest something with 2 or 3 months and a good amount of seat time (ASK ABOUT IT, good schools will appreciate the question and bad schools will dodge the question) costing around $3-4k.

When I was hired with CRST I had to take a refresher 1 week course but I also got to see what the regular 2 week course involved for complete rookies and it was a joke. It was a joke, and my roommate that week who was also doing a refresher said it was still better than CR England because there were 3 men to a room instead of 6 and CRST doesn't push the lease purchase program.

That brings me to another point: DO NOT DO A LEASE-PURCHASE PROGRAM!! If you want to get into the owner operator side of the business, you at least need a year of experience before making that leap. If you take that leap, buy a used truck and own that poo poo instead of half owning a truck that can get yanked from you at any moment.

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Is it still all about meth and lot lizards?
Meth: probably. I've run into people probably tweaking in the truck stops but I think it's gone down because of E-Logs. Why spend 4 days strung out when you can't double book and cross the country three times?
Lot lizards: still a few out there. In Denver I saw a car drop off two working girls and one walked right up to my door and knocked because I was sitting in the drivers seat with my laptop on the steering wheel reading the SA forums. In Troutdale OR there was a lady walking around in stilettos, in Atlanta I saw a lady with way too short shorts and a dude emerge from the back of a trailer. loving in the trailer. :drat: In Beaver UT I saw a driver drop off two girls who were hitchhiking and I'm just gonna be an rear end and assume they paid with rear end. I drive team with my dad, and he's been asked if he 'needs company' a few times. And of course, there are the XXX stores with ample truck parking.

Crotch Fruit posted:

Does piloting 80,000lbs with a 500HP turbo diesel sound fun? Its about as exciting as driving an 8,000lb 50HP economy car.
BWAAAHHHH
*shift*
BWAAAHHHHHH
*shift*
BWAAAAHHHHHH
*shift*
BWAAAAAHHHHHH
*shift to high range*
*going 15 mph*
BWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH
*shift*
*going 25 mph*

and so on.

MickeyFinn posted:

You should have a few thousand dollars saved up for when you get out of school. The companies that hire you will take all of your first few paychecks for various reasons and you'll literally have nothing to eat unless you have money or credit. Seriously, my dad is tired of having to feed you guys, please have money saved up.
Well a few thousand may be much but at least have one month of walking money. poo poo is expensive on the road, Walmart is your friend because sometimes they have truck parking (Laredo is an exception) and your first paycheck will come after two weeks of working and it will show up the third week and it might be on some bullshit pay card that you have to either phone in the direct deposit every other week or just get it in cash with a ComCheck.

I'm gonna stop posting for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread