Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Howdy goon folk, I just checked through pages 1-8 of A/T and all of BFC, couldn't find any truck driving threads.

Anywho, I'm a 29 year old goon that's been working lovely fast food and retail jobs my entire life, I just finished up a associates degree at the local community college, but sort of having doubts about myself putting in another 2 or 3 years for another degree that I may end up not really enjoying, and spending about 4 to 5 times the amount for tuition just so do as such. Basically, I'm at a crossroads where I feel 30 creeping up on me, and am still living paycheck to paycheck. I personally have very little in means of friends and family, my life is pretty much working and World of Warcraft, so I can very much adapt to being alone by myself for days or weeks at a time.

I'm curious what sort of things people could tell me about being a long haul truck driver; would it be best to get my CDL at my community college, or look for a company that would train and/or pay for my training, I know some of these companies require you to drive for them for a year or two in return, but typically you're free to look elsewhere after you get a bit of experience under your belt. I suppose my long term goals would be getting time on the road in, and then eventually trying to get something local here in Houston so I can be at home every night.

What's the internet services like for laptops? How likely am I to get murdered? Tips, suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread