Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Hope OP doesnt mind me asking my own question, but how important is the school you go to? I'm a few months out from starting this career path myself and I'm considering a local school, AIT, in Vegas. They are pricy at 10k for 4 months but they gave a great sales pitch, and "guarantee" a job, most of whom will supposedly cover 90% of the costs. They are also acredited and elegible for federal student loans, which is cool.

Any opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

viewtyjoe posted:

These right here indicate what we would normally call "raping your wallet with a power tool" or a for-profit institution. They probably feed into some lovely megacarrier and you'll be lucky to make $30-40k/yr as indicated earlier in the thread. On top of that, you'll have picked up $10k of debt that is functionally impossible to get rid of should trucking not work out for you. Unless they have some serious written agreements in regards to the "guaranteed" job and covering 90% of your costs (if you work for three years, I would guess, or something to chain you to their company) you're better off going to a community college/tech school.

Don't know about contracts, but they seem to mostly cater to Warren and Covenant Transport, others too but apparently those two had regional managers visit the school every couple of weeks or something. Warren also had a nice little video to watch and fancy numbers to be impressed by (Every one of their trucks is less than 2 years old, apparently?).

Thanks for the advice on pricing. I'll keep looking. I'm mostly concerned about getting a decent education, since driving a giant huge truck seems awfully dangerous if you don't learn properly.

• Locked thread