Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
What the gently caress is up with that?

Also, why do so many lovecraft stories seem to be about people discovering that their ancestors hosed fish or apes, that dude had some issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
he rightly despised miscegnation

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The real horror is that Lovecraft was right about a lot of things, OP.

That's the secret ending you get after you read all his stories.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My favorite so far is actually 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward', that one was pretty good and the unavoidable ancestral twist did not involve bestiality.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
theres a good chance your ancestors worshipped some form of horror from another dimension damning your soul and those of your children

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
He really hates the Portuguese

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

emanresu tnuocca posted:

He really hates the Portuguese

same

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove’s fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th’Olympian host conceiv’d a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
I never read any lovecrap (haha my cool name owning him) but I did read that Allan moore neonomicon and it was literally the worst comic

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

jalopybrown posted:

I never read any lovecrap (haha my cool name owning him) but I did read that Allan moore neonomicon and it was literally the worst comic

I really like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Miracle Man, so hearing that Moore dabbled into Lovecraft got me very excited... until I actually read the comics and realized that he's insane and really messed up sexually.

The tits in LoEG were fun... frogman rape is not.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My favorite so far is actually 'The Case of Charles Dexter Ward', that one was pretty good and the unavoidable ancestral twist did not involve bestiality.

That's prob my favorite Lovecraft but also try The Thing On The Doorstep.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Color Out of Space also good with minimal racism.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Professor Shark posted:

I really like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Miracle Man, so hearing that Moore dabbled into Lovecraft got me very excited... until I actually read the comics and realized that he's insane and really messed up sexually.

The tits in LoEG were fun... frogman rape is not.

The Courtyard was a fun little cthulhu story, and I liked the drug/language stuff, but neonomicon was just plain vile. It's like he doesn't realize which of his writings should be published and which belong in the ol' spank bank.

Nigmaetcetera fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 21, 2014

generative grammer
Jul 28, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Lovecraft was the Stephne King of the 20s without all the b-movies

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove’s fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th’Olympian host conceiv’d a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family.

huh, this is actually a thing

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Of the complete biological inferiority of the negro there can be no question he has anatomical features consistently varying from those of other stocks, and always in the direction of the lower primates... Equally inferior and perhaps even more so is the Australian black stock, which differs widely from the real negro. In dealing with these two black races, there is only one sound attitude for any other race (be it white, Indian, Malay, Polynesian, or Mongolian) to take and that is to prevent admixture as completely and determinedly as it can be prevented, through the establishment of a colour line and the rigid forcing of all mixed offspring below that line.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Of the complete biological inferiority of the negro there can be no question he has anatomical features consistently varying from those of other stocks, and always in the direction of the lower primates... Equally inferior and perhaps even more so is the Australian black stock, which differs widely from the real negro. In dealing with these two black races, there is only one sound attitude for any other race (be it white, Indian, Malay, Polynesian, or Mongolian) to take and that is to prevent admixture as completely and determinedly as it can be prevented, through the establishment of a colour line and the rigid forcing of all mixed offspring below that line.

*nods sagely*

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i feel like this was especially racist even for his time

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

man that guy really hated blacks negroids and Asians orientals

truepost: despite the whole "product of the times, everyone else was doing it too", "separate the art from the artist", and "a lot of other brilliant famous people in history were pieces of poo poo in their personal lives" arguments, his racism really did kinda affect my ability to enjoy his works. i think I'm the only one whos bothered by this and this therefore makes me a pussy beta-manlet :/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i thought i read somewhere that his peers thought he was a racist dick but otherwise a p ok bro.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
The first story of his I read featured a cat named "friend of the family Man".

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

like if you started saying that kind of poo poo outloud at a kkk meeting theyd be like "christ dude.. ok yea but just... dont put it like that"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

"it is as if you prostrating apes have yet to concern yourselves with the exemplar of ancient wisdoms known as reddit dot com!" -HP Lovecraft probably

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bob James posted:

that was the name of his cat irl

also i dont really care that he was racist *flicks cigarette at u* but his stories are kinda poo poo and his prose is as bad as my posts

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

TEAYCHES posted:

like if you started saying that kind of poo poo outloud at a kkk meeting theyd be like "christ dude.. ok yea but just... dont put it like that"

A klan rally would be far too "ethnic" an affair for H.P. Lovecraft.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Bob James posted:

Was gonna mention that. It's really uncomfortable listening to the audiobook of that.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
at least he reneged (:iamafag:) on his racism later in life

i think cth went down like a bitch 'cus he was still froggy and woke up too early, and also hp wrote himself into a corner and needed a person to survive the encounter so that there was a story to be told

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Bob James posted:

mng posted:

Was gonna mention that. It's really uncomfortable listening to the audiobook of that.

The Rats in The Walls. Pretty good story! My audio Book version has it changed to "Nigsy".
Another weird bit of period racism: the Dambusters film has a black dog called "friend of the family" in it, as I recall.

e:

quote:

friend of the family died on 16 May 1943, the day before the famous "Dam Busters" raid, when he was hit by a car. He was buried at midnight as Gibson was leading the raid. "friend of the family" (Morse code: -. .. --. --. . .-. ) was the codeword Gibson used to confirm the breach of the Möhne Dam. friend of the family's grave is at Royal Air Force station Scampton, Lincolnshire.[1]
:catstare:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The Protagonist posted:

at least he reneged (:iamafag:) on his racism later in life

i think cth went down like a bitch 'cus he was still froggy and woke up too early, and also hp wrote himself into a corner and needed a person to survive the encounter so that there was a story to be told
also i would assume that the story being told by a person who went literally insane is probably a little bit unreliable

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

quote:

friend of the family Man: A cat owned by the narrator. He could detect the spectral rats. When the story was reprinted in Zest magazine (1950s), this unfortunate name was changed to Black Tom.

"unfortunate name"

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I only vageuly remember cause my Lovecraft phase was like 10 years ago, but isnt Horror at Red Hook basically all about how disgusting multicultural race-mixing is?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

I only vageuly remember cause my Lovecraft phase was like 10 years ago, but isnt Horror at Red Hook basically all about how disgusting multicultural race-mixing is?
is that the one where he sees the unimaginable horror that is a future new york with a few more chinese people in it

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Lovecraft, who was known to be a racist, referred to the area's immigrant population by referring to Red Hook as "a maze of hybrid squalor".[3] He spelled out his inspiration for "The Horror at Red Hook" in a letter written to fellow writer Clark Ashton Smith:

The idea that black magic exists in secret today, or that hellish antique rites still exist in obscurity, is one that I have used and shall use again. When you see my new tale "The Horror at Red Hook", you will see what use I make of the idea in connexion with the gangs of young loafers & herds of evil-looking foreigners that one sees everywhere in New York.[4]

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

imagine if howie could've tasted some chinese take-out. probably would've been amazed at how the fortune inside the cookie was better than any of his poo poo.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

mysterious loyall Y posted:

also i would assume that the story being told by a person who went literally insane is probably a little bit unreliable

see i always thought that out of the two survivors the guy who penned the journal held it together because he was salty as gently caress

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
My favorite Lovecraft stories are the ones that other authors wrote that basically poo poo all over his racist opinions and feature minority protagonists saving the day

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Also I remember that Lovecraft married a jewess but bitched about jews all day erry day and whenever he'd walk around new york she said he would literally shake with fury constantly to the point where he had to move out to the country.
then he self-owned by eating nothing but baked beans till he got gut cancer and died lmao.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

emanresu tnuocca posted:

What the gently caress is up with that?

Also, why do so many lovecraft stories seem to be about people discovering that their ancestors hosed fish or apes, that dude had some issues.

Don't forget unknowable things turning you into a mindless blubbering mess. Also lol "mad Arab"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Cthulhu did nothig wrong

• Locked thread