Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is it? I mean, besides run-on-sentences, I didn't really see any major technical flaws with how he wrote. He basically just emulates/rips-off antiquated styles of writing, ranging from Poe to Edmund Spencer

probably his most grotesque crime against style is his outrageous overuse of hyperbolic adjectives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Is it? I mean, besides run-on-sentences, I didn't really see any major technical flaws with how he wrote. He basically just emulates/rips-off antiquated styles of writing, ranging from Poe to Edmund Spencer

its extremely bad.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Bob James posted:

The first story of his I read featured a cat named "friend of the family Man".

i remember reading this story in an office setting and the whole time i was worried someone would glance over my shoulder and be like "wtf are you reading weirdo"

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

nomadologique posted:

probably his most grotesque crime against style is his outrageous overuse of hyperbolic adjectives

But without that we wouldn't have "cyclopean"!

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

imma stop you right there

he contributed a lot to the horror genre yes

but his use of the words 'eldritch', 'cyclopean', 'Euclidean', 'antiquarian', and 'abnormal hideous nameless bas-relief' gets groan-worthy after you read them 100 times

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
He wrote a contemporary 50 Shades of fhtagn, got it.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Happy Bear Suit posted:

but his use of the words 'eldritch', 'cyclopean', 'Euclidean', 'antiquarian', and 'abnormal hideous nameless bas-relief' gets groan-worthy after you read them 100 times

your posts are ichorous

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

I've been to west virginia and his story checks out. They're so loving weird they don't differentiate between the living and the dead, and spend all day sunday in the cemetary having long, vivid conversations with their dead relatives, whom they claim to be able to hear. I have Lovecraft style fears about turning into one of them, since I know for a fact my granddad was one of them. If you hear about a man clad in blue overalls immolating himself in public, that will be me, and it will be because I wake up one day knowing how to play the dulcimer, proof that I have quickened and soon I will be a thrall of nyarlathotep

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
A good satire of Lovecraft is Neil Gaiman's Shoggoth's Old Peculiar,

Here's him reading it (Part 1 of 3):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rN1HElM_ECA

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

nomadologique posted:

what the gently caress is this, antarctica wasn't a wintry wasteland when they were active, it was a tropical freakin paradise

Could be the last one standing, like the story described.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i really like The Colour Out of Space because it is tripped teh gently caress out. i mean that story is nuts

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

I hated everything written by the not-lovecrafts but i read

http://www.amazon.com/Necronomicon-The-Wanderings-Alhazred-Series/dp/0738706272

And it was really cool. Guy eats spiders and poo poo in the desert to see ghosts.

Fandyien posted:

i really like The Colour Out of Space because it is tripped teh gently caress out. i mean that story is nuts

Yeah that poo poo locked up in the attic was hosed.

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Nobody ever mentions "The Temple" even though it's a badass little story. :(

I really liked the temple too. Always thought it would make a good movie or videogame.

until somebody pointed it out to me, I read nothing racist in his writing
Lol.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

which lovecraft story is the one where its like a narrative history of an pre-ancient kingdom that destroys a black obsidian fish city and it the city in its hubris and orgiastic celebration implodes horribly

i thought that one was interesting

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

which lovecraft story is the one where its like a narrative history of an pre-ancient kingdom that destroys a black obsidian fish city and it the city in its hubris and orgiastic celebration implodes horribly

The Doom That Came To Sarnath?

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Nigmaetcetera posted:

The Doom That Came To Sarnath?

thats the one

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TEAYCHES posted:

remade as Doom House

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

TEAYCHES posted:

thats the one

first story of his i ever read. next one was a story about azathoth, the blind, deaf, mute, insane, retarded god of all creation. all the n-words really came out of nowhere when i read his other stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

into the mountains of madness is really good too, proves he can write longer-ish stories

Robert E. Howard is still my favorite racist early 20th century fantasy author though, apparently he and Lovecraft were pen pals

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fandyien posted:

into the mountains of madness is really good too, proves he can write longer-ish stories

Except it's like 99% foreshadowing. "Oh, I hesitate to describe the horrors of what I feel I need to write next; but okay, here it is." x 9000

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That non-elucidian negroid had an indescribably cyclopean cock looming from his blasphemous groin.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Happy Bear Suit posted:

his use of that stuff is way overstated though (probably because it's really easy (and fun) to parody) and mostly it's in his early and not-so-good period

from the mid-1920s on, when he really starts hitting them out of the park, his writing is mostly very restrained and dry. he only deploys the overheated purple prose when there's a reason to. take the call of cthulhu--he really only brings out the 'gibbous sky' and 'membraneous wings' and all that stuff during the climax at r'lyeh (and it's for a reason, since at that point all the laws of reality are breaking down and everyone's going mad, so his style does too)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Clipperton posted:

his use of that stuff is way overstated though (probably because it's really easy (and fun) to parody) and mostly it's in his early and not-so-good period

from the mid-1920s on, when he really starts hitting them out of the park, his writing is mostly very restrained and dry. he only deploys the overheated purple prose when there's a reason to. take the call of cthulhu--he really only brings out the 'gibbous sky' and 'membraneous wings' and all that stuff during the climax at r'lyeh (and it's for a reason, since at that point all the laws of reality are breaking down and everyone's going mad, so his style does too)

I don't know, I think he'd have a hard time competing with :nms::nws:Kirk's Razer meltdown:nws::nms:.

naem
May 29, 2011

*Burbles fthulululuchuuuukkuully*

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Except it's like 99% foreshadowing. "Oh, I hesitate to describe the horrors of what I feel I need to write next; but okay, here it is." x 9000

Fancy collaborating on a Lovecraft parody where an Ashkenazi Jewish guy travels to Israel and discovers he's a mixed blood mizrahi jew with :cthulhu: Palestinian :cthulhu: ancestry?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know, I think he'd have a hard time competing with :nms::nws:Kirk's Razer meltdown:nws::nms:.

Not a fair comparison, Kirk had SA to gently caress him up.
If lovecraft had been a goon, his meltdowns would have been cyclopean.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
I'm reading a biography about him. Sad, pathetic, wasted life. Really a proto-goon, who tragically too late realized how weird he was, then died

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

They can look pretty cool, depending on how liberally you want to interpret Lovecraft's description.

what is this AD&D monster manual poo poo. also the elder things are invertebrates ffs, and are supposed to be like giant sea anemones or some such poo poo. I'm p sure HPL overdosed on ernst haeckel illustrations because I can definitely see how you'd get a radial symmetry obsession that way

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
So did HP even know what 'non-euclidean' geometries are? cause it's not like spherical shapes and curved surfaces are really that other worldly

This ain't particularly scary

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

emanresu tnuocca posted:

So did HP even know what 'non-euclidean' geometries are? cause it's not like spherical shapes and curved surfaces are really that other worldly

This ain't particularly scary

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
yeah that's a bit better though really the freaky part is that the structures seemingly defy gravity

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I always assumed when he busted out the dumb flowery language and phrases like non-euclidean, he was basically admitting "okay i'm an ideas guy, I just need you to picture weird impossible and scary poo poo now" because that's all I can ever do when I read him. That people have a definite idea of what cthulhu actually looks like is pretty weird to me honestly.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The common depiction of Cthulhu is a lot more handsome than what HP described, people usually draw cthulhu as this buff humanoid with massive wings and a squid head, the head thing is pretty accurate though the body is pretty off, Cthulhu should have disproportionately large legs, a small torso and tiny wings, he describes them as 'rudimentary wings'.

More like the original Godzilla than a winged egyptian deity really.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The one about getting lost in back alleys of a city that gradually became creepier and more confusing was pretty good

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Words had different meanings back then. Every time he says "non-euclidean architecture" he means "built by wops".

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Nobody ever mentions "The Temple" even though it's a badass little story. :(

Agreed. I think a lot of the 'complete' collections miss it out, for some reason, which might be why.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Maybe I missed something but the old ones are not even malevolent beings, from what I remember they actually fought against Cthulhu and the fish deities (and "the abominable snowmen" lol) and would probably ally with humanity as both have rather similar social structures and don't seem to have conflicting interests at all, the massacre at Antarctica was mostly cause that particular party was just raised after eons of hibernation and erroneously assumed that that the dissected corpses of their compatriots were proof that the squishy humans murdered them, there's nothing in the story that suggests they'd try to eradicate humanity.

They also look real stupid

That's actually a common misconception that Lovecraft himself admitted fault for. See, the things up in Antarctica are Great Old Ones, older by far than Cthulhu and his Old Ones down in R'lyeh. The GOOs are the good guys, that fight to save the universe from the more squiddy OOs. Unfortunately, it's a losing battle. The Great Old Ones are also the ones doing the mindmelds outside time and space iirc.

Something to remember, At the Mountains of Madness was an unofficial sequel of sorts to Edgar Allen Poe's The narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket, which is surprisingly racist for Poe, even the animals are all black down there, so it's not so shocking that Howie would want to keep the ball rolling. For those who now want to read the story, be warned, it stops right when it finally gets good.

Regarding the attitudes of HPL, much like how I can still enjoy the films of say, Roman Polanski or Victor Salva despite them being pedophiles, I'm able to enjoy the stories, even if sometimes I have to stop and say "drat man, cool it with that stuff". (seriously Vic, can you even make a movie without a half naked boy in it?)

My favorite Lovecraft stories are The Haunter in the Dark, which you can really see as it was his last story before death, where his writing style was starting to move towards with its abstract and psychological subtexts, and the unnerving Rats in the Walls with it's best portrayal of his unreliable narrator going insane trope, ending with the narrator literally devolving his language right before your eyes.

powerful lizard
Jan 28, 2009
Cthulhu had a hangover OP

Imagine if its u. Party all aeon, wake up with a headache, and bam some dick hits you with a fuckin' boat

"gently caress this poo poo I'm going back to bed"

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Lovecraft's narrative pacing is terrible, his characters are always shallow and melodramatic and his prose is overwrought garbage. His ideas about aliens are cool and influential.

here's some of the better stuff he wrote
Nyarlathotep
The Colour Out of Space

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine

Choco1980 posted:

That's actually a common misconception that Lovecraft himself admitted fault for. See, the things up in Antarctica are Great Old Ones, older by far than Cthulhu and his Old Ones down in R'lyeh. The GOOs are the good guys, that fight to save the universe from the more squiddy OOs. Unfortunately, it's a losing battle. The Great Old Ones are also the ones doing the mindmelds outside time and space iirc.
are you sure about this because I thought all lovecraft's alien stuff was vaguely unknowable and indifferent/uncomprehending towards man and then a bunch of even shittier writers came in afterwards to make it a more conventional good vs evil "mythos"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

aside from the old god mythos, let us not all forget about Herbert West: Reanimator, which was responsible for the legitamitely good 1985 film and this kickass flash game.

• Locked thread