Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would look into some kind of mounting system for the fire bottle rather than just leave it inside a tool bag.

There's no way you're going to pull a car on fire to the side of the road, look at it, go into the hatch, remove your tool bag, unzip the toolbag, remove the fire extinguisher and then use the fire extinguisher to make it not be on fire anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
New spares are comically cheap on Tire Rack, depending on kind (the 17" ones sure aren't). Don't risk a 20+ year old spare - when you need a spare, you need a spare. A Kumho T125-70-D125 is $59, I have no idea what your stock donut spare size is.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/temporary-tire.jsp

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 22, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

TheLarson posted:

Cassette player update: It turns out that both tape players have cracked gears. The gears that sit directly below the barrels that drive the tape are split, since they're partially hollow and 30 years old. The split has expanded the gap between two teeth on each gear, which jams against the main drive gear. This appears to be triggering the auto-reverse in both players, since it can't even make one full revolution with a tape inserted. Unfortunately, all four of these gears (two per player) are cracked in the exact same way. Unless I can find replacements, both of these units are dead. :eng99:

How Toyota-specific could these parts really be? I bet if you dismantle enough Walkmans you'll find the exact parts.

If there's one thing that has no shortage of crazy grognard obsessives who hoard parts, it's stereos.

For instance, this guy has rollers, I bet there's another guy with those gears: http://www.studiosoundelectronics.com/cassette.htm

edit: Buy a 3D printer :v:

edit edit: Seems like it must be possible to source a new gear from somewhere. http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_audiofaq2.html#AUDIOFAQ_015

quote:

Some of the autoreverse decks use a rotating magnet under or part of the
each reel and a reed switch or hall effect device to detect lack of motion
and do the autoreverse thing.

I had one from a Toyota where the plastic drive gear which included the
magnet and was part of the reel split and was getting stuck at the broken
tooth causing a reverse and eventually eating the tape. It was $9 for
that little plastic gear.

[...]

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jan 31, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Oh man I want the Ariel Atom RockAuto magnet bad. Time to buy more cars so I can justify buying more parts.

I love Personal wheels a lot. Were they always part of Nardi or was it a recent acquisition?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

mafoose posted:

I believe they were two companies. My friend has an 80s Personal wheel with no mention of Nardi. I have a 90s one with no Nardi markings as well. They always shared the built pattern with Nardi though (60° from momo and slightly bigger bolt circle).

Yeah, I had a Personal wheel from the 80s that came with no markings indicating any relation to Nardi. Must have happened relatively recently.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

TheLarson posted:

I just can't bring myself to recycle it! It still works and has a Sonnet 1.8GHz chip and some sort of upgraded GPU.
GPU upgrades for the Cube are pretty rare, so don't recycle it.

I got mine for $70 a few years ago because the power button gasket had gone - I haven't replaced it yet, and I ended up spending more than $70 buying all of the junk to convert from ADC to DVI so I could find a monitor that would plug into it. Then a week later I got a free ADC monitor.

So it basically constantly goes to sleep during regular operation, more if the top of the machine gets hot (after about 10 minutes of use if the lights are on, less if I can keep cold air blowing over it from a window) and is pretty slow when it does work. I still really like looking at it and keep swearing I'll fix it but never do - I guess this is how old guys end up with a yard full of muscle cars.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I was wondering who in AI would be the first to rock those coasters. Now that I know it's not me I can go hog wild.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
This thing is going to look amazing when it's free from the painters. I can't wait!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'm not gonna lie, most of the reason I want an 80s Toyota is so I can put stylish 80s Japanesium wheels on it. There's very few Weds wheels I don't want to cram under a car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Nice paint!

Most physical tire stores will work with you to get a replacement spare if you try hard enough. The wheel should clean up pretty nicely; surprised it's that rusty in Cali.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
DNT SPLL

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
DNTSPLL/NOSPILL it is!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
FUQDDMV

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
There's probably a more modern aftermarket windage tray for the 4AGE by now, isn't there? I seem to remember those blocks have a hell of a problem with distortion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Aw, but that lip is dope. What does your property management think about leaving a piece of 2x4 in front of the driveway? Or is it long enough that you get stuck halfway up when the angle changes?

Those look like much better springs to run. It's sort of amazing that deliberately breaking traction on your car is popular enough that it's the only option for performance parts. Like buying a gun where the only mods available are backwards-facing Looney Tunes barrels.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 18, 2016

• Locked thread