Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joachim783
May 9, 2013
Problem description: The title says it all really the desktop windows manager process is using a huge amount of ram for reasons i can't figure out. I'm thinking it's probably a memory leak but i'm not sure.

Attempted fixes: I have rebooted my laptop which fixes it for a while but it always comes back again.

Recent changes: Nothing other than installing a few steam games, namely Risk of Rain, Rouge Legacy and Shovel Knight

Operating system: Windows 8.1 64-bit, i'm unsure if it's home premium or professional though.

System specs: ASUS N750JV laptop with 16gb of ram http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N750JV/specifications/

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Dec 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Update to the latest Intel and nVidia graphics drivers from their respective websites.

joachim783
May 9, 2013
I already have the latest nvidia driver and I installed the intel driver update utility but it says "a customised computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. the intel driver update utility is not able to update the driver. installing a generic intel driver instead of the customised computer manufacturer driver may cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer." so i found the driver i needed here http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/N750JV/HelpDesk_Download/ under vga.

edit: i should note that when i restarted the desktop windows manager had made it's way up to 1.2gb of ram usage in about 6 hours.

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Dec 22, 2014

joachim783
May 9, 2013
it seems that didn't fix the issue, desktop windows manager is using 500mb of ram when it should be using 10-30mb at most.

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 23, 2014

Zarc
Jul 25, 2014
Can you post a screen shot from process manager showing processes from all users? If you use firefox, the later versions are notorious for having horrible memory leaks, though I don't think that would be in the esktop windows manager. Also, I'd recommend a virus scan to see if it picks up anything that shouldn't be there.

• Locked thread