Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Marathon is the first major game developed by Bungie. Yeah, that Bungie. This is the game that essentially cemented their status as a major development studio. Prior to Marathon Bungie managed some success with smaller games. Their first two success were Gnop!, which was a freeware pong clone that sold custom skins for around $15, and Operation: Desert Storm, a top down tank game where you fought your way to Baghdad and then killed Saddam Husein's giant head. Marathon however is a pseudo3D FPS much like Doom. It was also their first major commercial success. The game centers around the UESC Marathon, a space station in the Tau Ceti solar system that has been attacked and overrun by aliens. Your job is to shoot them.

Marathon came out on December 21, 1994. Two years after Doom had solidified first person shooters as a genre (although at the time FPSs were still mainly referred to as "DoomClones"). However it's relatively unknown in the PC gaming world unlike Doom and Duke Nukem 3D. This is mostly due to it not being released on PC; It was MacOS only until it's sequel: Marathon 2: Durandal. Official ports of the game came later in various collections and boxed sets of what would become the Marathon Trilogy, but PC gamers still seemed to pass over this, at the time, rather unique FPS.

What makes Marathon so interesting as a piece of gaming history is the innovations it brought to the FPS genre, and to games in general. Unlike Doom and many other action games where story was present but pushed aside in order to get to the action quicker, Marathon had the story be revealed as part of the game play. Marathon doesn't have cut scenes or major info dumps between levels. It's story and mission objectives are revealed via computer screens that the player finds along his way. Even then the story isn't only relegated to the mission terminals; there are other hidden computer monitors that hold background info and data files of various characters to be found that reveal the whole story.

Beyond just the aesthetic Marathon also has many technical innovations. The biggest one? Mouselook. Marathon was the first commercial computer game to utilize mouse look as a means of controlling the player character. Some games, like the original System Shock, had experimented with mouse controls. But most of the time the camera was still controlled by keyboard and the mouse simply selected things on the screen instead of actually directing the view. Even later games, like Duke Nukem 3D, still used keyboard controls by default and only left mouselook as an option to turn on in the game menus.

Another innovation was an officially supported multiplayer Deathmatch mode. Doom had various semi-offical and fan created death match mods as did other games. But many of these were simply after thoughts based on single player levels and only featured straight free for all deathmatch games. Marathon had a full fledged multiplayer suite that featured customizable game types for teams or free for all. You could also select the game type (timer or score limit), equipment available, and what HUD elements were available like turning off the motion detector minimap. Oh yeah, Marathon had a fully functional motion detector minimap just like the one they would later put in Halo.

Marathon's legacy is Bungie's legacy. The themes and mechanics seen in Marathon and it's sequels show up throughout their later games, including their latest game Destiny. Revealing the story through gameplay, the one man army, AI companions, the concept of AI rampancy, Alien coalitions assaulting a united earth that has pushed, perhaps too far, beyond it's own star. As we play through Marathon you're going to start noticing, pretty much right away, that Marathon not only cemented Bungie's reputation as a major developer, but also cemented what kind of games they make.

So Let's Play: Marathon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Episode 1: Here
Episode 2: Here
Episode 3: Here
Episode 4: Here
Episode 5: Here
Episode 6: Here
Episode 7: Here
Episode 8: Here
Episode 9: Here
Episode 10: Here
Episode 11: Here

Crain fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 10, 2015

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not to ruin your LP or anything, but maybe some content would help...?
edit: Sorry, people usually throw the first episode into the first post. I fell for your classic misdirection.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 22, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

^You posted just a bit faster than I could^
First Episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luCUHb5Seh0

If you don't want to hear me reading off the data logs, or just want to read them yourself, you can head over to Bungie's Tour of Duty page which has walkthroughs/summaries of all the levels. It also has maps where applicable. I'll try to include the text logs where they are supplied, but unless you really want me to transcribe all of the data logs (including the ones that Tour of Duty glosses over) I'll just leave it at that.

Tour of Duty: Arrival posted:

Welcome to the first edition of our Tour of Duty series. I will start us off with the first level of M1A1, named, suitingly, 'Arrival'. Now, in earlier versions of M1A1, Arrival began with a small area that looks a great deal like the Ground Floor of Pathways into Darkness. However, I will ignore this intro for the current edition, seeing as it has been removed from recent versions of Aleph One and it has little to do with the level itself.

When we start the level, we're in the back of a small offshoot of a corridor. It's not terribly dark, but it is dim. If we turn around and look behind ourselves, we'll notice that we're backed up against a door. When we try opening it, however, it acts as though it is locked. Based on the events which transpire in the Marathon Manual, we can assume this door would lead into Hangar 7A. Careful analysis of the map (most easily performed with a map editor like Weland or Pfhorge), however, reveals that the door is angled off away from the Hangar in such a way that it couldn't possibly be connected to it. So where does it lead? Did something happen in between the events of the Manual and the beginning of the level? Did we have to perform a brief space walk in our armor? Who knows.

I find our first encounter with the aliens to have rather odd positioning. After all, most new players would still be trying to get their bearings on the controls when all of a sudden Pfhor Fighters come jaunting up from both sides. It would kinda freak you, though, to hear the chittering of the aliens from both sides in the middle of a poorly-lit hallway. Creepy! Anyways, it isn't really that hard to deal with these guys. A bit of punching should do the trick. The first terminal is kinda boring. In fact, at this point, you're probably expecting Doom all over again (in other words, no plot-line, just 'kill the aliens/monsters'). The rest of the level is a fair bit more interesting. Indeed, at one point, you find a window that you can see the Pfhor ship through. You'd normally just hurry past without a second thought, readying your fists for some more knuckle-splitting action. But when you do happen to find it, without any explanation as to what it is, your mind is probably going to overload with questions. 'What is that thing?' 'Is it dangerous?' 'Why do my bullets pass through windows into the vacuum of outer space without any explanation?' Er, no comment on that last one. ;)

You might be forgiven for not getting confused by how different the Compilers are from the Fighters, but it is interesting to note that Leela doesn't give us any description of what the "alien creatures that are capable of interfacing with the Marathon's systems" look like on the last terminal. She just says, and I quote,

"I have learned that there is an Alien creature that is capable of interfacing with our systems. You must kill any of these creatures that you find. It is a priority that we stop them. Even now, they are penetrating my defenses." - Arrival, Terminal 4

At this point, how are we supposed to know the orange robed guys are the ones she's referring to? We can only guess based on how often the Compilers seem to be located near a terminal. Indeed, a lot of people probably thought we'd encounter a new enemy in the next level, only to encounter an increased number of Compilers. I guess Leela wasn't in a very helpful mood, eh?

It's interesting to note that, hidden inside the secret ammo cache (located above the pit with all the Orange Fighters in it), there is a Napalm Canister and some SPNKr ammo. This isn't the last time we'll encounter something like this, though. Indeed, the trend carries into the first level of Marathon Infinity, Ne Cede Malis. But I digress.

The music for the level is chosen pretty well, even if I don't necessarily enjoy the song by itself. Interestingly, it would probably fit better on a darker level. I say this because Arrival isn't necessarily dark. The cramped rooms and hallways result in the area being lit up more by our flashlight, and the lights in the more open areas are generally more dim, rather than truly dark. What's more, the 'fog' on this level is blue, making it less disturbed and more just plain melancholy. On the other hand, I felt truly creeped out on the level 'Try Again', which has the same music, darker rooms, more open spaces, and red/orange fog.

On that note of being creeped out by red fog, I shall end the first edition of Tour of Duty. On the upcoming edition, I'll discuss the next level, 'Bigger Guns Nearby'. Tour of Duty is more directed at engaging the community than voicing my own opinion, of course, so I will ask you all various questions.

How did you like this first edition? What do you think I could improve on for next time? What do you like or not like about this level?

P.S. - If you have a question you'd like to ask or a thought you'd like to express (so long as it is related to the current topic), please feel free to do so on this thread.

Cheers,
Perseus

Also The Tour of Duty post for the second level: Bigger Guns Nearby

I'll try and keep updates regular, at least once a week if not two.

Crain fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 22, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Second Episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO1i7JviDHE

Tour of Duty Posts:

Never Burn Money
Defend THIS!

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Oh man, Marathon. I played the hell out of this game when I was in middle school. So much fun.

You might want to, instead of reading them, just scroll through the terminal logs real quick and just let us pause the video to read them.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

Oh man, Marathon. I played the hell out of this game when I was in middle school. So much fun.

You might want to, instead of reading them, just scroll through the terminal logs real quick and just let us pause the video to read them.

Ugh. Sorry, nothing against you but when I put this through the Sandcastle they shot down that idea. The balanced choice was posting the logs (via the Tour of Duty links) in thread for people to read, reading them myself in vid, and giving a link to skip. Just seems like there is no good answer to text logs. Especially in a game with so many of them. In some of the later episodes (I have a bit of a buffer built up) I stick to just summarizing the logs instead of reading them verbatim.

There should be plenty of time to pause and read yourself in video, just mute my voice.

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
Oh boy, oh boy. I played the crap out of this game and its sequel and still do sometimes.

So, is the meandering on purpose or what? It kinda works with how Marathon structures the maps, but it seems like these are your first times running through the levels. I'm just curious.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Neflame posted:

Oh boy, oh boy. I played the crap out of this game and its sequel and still do sometimes.

So, is the meandering on purpose or what? It kinda works with how Marathon structures the maps, but it seems like these are your first times running through the levels. I'm just curious.

I had never played this game before so in some spots I legit got lost (but not enough to warrant a time skip, those did happen though and I do/will skip if things take too long). Also I do just like to explore maps anyway.

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
Neat-o. With that in mind, I can't wait for you to get to the second half of the game if you aren't already there with the recordings.

And I admit, filling in the maps entirely is something I compulsively do as well when I play through this game. Plus, a lot of the environments are really neat to look at despite the game's age.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Neflame posted:

Neat-o. With that in mind, I can't wait for you to get to the second half of the game if you aren't already there with the recordings.

And I admit, filling in the maps entirely is something I compulsively do as well when I play through this game. Plus, a lot of the environments are really neat to look at despite the game's age.

I have heard that with the Aleph-one version there might or might not be a level where I can't pass (someone in the sandcastle thread said some level ends with my just being killed no matter what) but I think I passed that point and it didn't happen, but I'm not sure. Know anything about that?

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
I don't recall any levels like that. There are some levels with straight-up murder traps and one that traps you in a hole after tempting you with a shiny new weapon, but I don't recall any levels that just end with unavoidable death. It has been a hot minute since I last played through the Aleph-One version, though so my memory of things is not exactly perfect.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Sorry to be a pain, but is there any chance you could move the mic a little? Hearing your nose whistling as you breathe is offputting when you're listening with headphones.

In any case, are you planning on doing any of the other games in the series? I've only played the first, but what I know of the rest of the series tells me it becomes a mindfuck and a half.

Also, it might be worth linking to the finished LP of Pathways Into Darkness that's up in the archive. Worth a read, regardless of its ties to this (and possibly Halo, but that's an argument that's been done to death and beyond).

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Sorry to be a pain, but is there any chance you could move the mic a little? Hearing your nose whistling as you breathe is offputting when you're listening with headphones.

In any case, are you planning on doing any of the other games in the series? I've only played the first, but what I know of the rest of the series tells me it becomes a mindfuck and a half.

Also, it might be worth linking to the finished LP of Pathways Into Darkness that's up in the archive. Worth a read, regardless of its ties to this (and possibly Halo, but that's an argument that's been done to death and beyond).

The first couple eps I used a headset, but I got a desk mic now so it much better.

I might do the other games, but we'll see when we get there. A full Marathon series LP is kind of daunting. For old games they're pretty long.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Episode 3: Switches (also read your objectives)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KQdCLLC_VM

Tour of Duty: Couch Fishing

The long data dump that I skipped in the video:

The CRIST Sol orbiters posted:

[Unauthorized access-alarm 2521-]
[Security Breached 24-f[434.87.18.198]-]

[Data Transfer Cohesion E3F04C]
[Search String "crist"]
The CRIST Sol Orbiters:

The CRIST Sol orbiters, or Cargo and Resources In-System
Transports were huge ships shaped like a hollow potato and
designed to be able to move huge amounts of material between
Earth and Mars with low cost and, theoretically, low
maintenance. The system was simple. The CRIST was put into
orbit around SOL on the plane of the ecliptic. Built with a
powerful solar sail, the CRIST could change its orbit easily
to pass by the Earth or Mars. On a flyby, materials could be
loaded or offloaded. The energy used to accelerate or
decelerate the materials would be supplied by the solar sail.
Loading was accomplished with a giant tether and reel system,
which would swing the material into orbit behind the CRIST and
then reel it in slowly. Offloading was accomplished with a
powerful ion beam which would pound the offloading material
with a steady stream of ion particles.

The design of the CRIST was innovative and useful, but it was
not low-maintenance. Of the five CRISTs that were built, four
lasted around one hundred years, and the other one only
seventy three before they needed to be brought back to Earth
and refitted. Each refitting took about fifteen years, and
completely occupied the Earth-Space Shipbuilding Facility for
that time. The result was that no more than five CRISTs could
be kept in service at any time. No CRIST was ever built after

The CRIST failures devastated Mars. As the first five CRISTs
were built, Mars colony grew quickly, confident that the
growth would continue. But when the source of Mars' resources
failed, the colony found that it had overgrown its supportable
size, and extreme poverty struck most of the population. Each
time that a CRIST broke down, the result was famine on Mars.

The conversion of Deimos into the Marathon began when the Mars
colony was at the height of its power. By the time it was
completed sixty four years later, the decline of Mars was well
advanced. During that time, the Martian population had
seen its standard of living drop by eighty percent. On top of
oppressive poverty, Martians saw one of their moons being
converted into a colony ship in an expensive and risky colony
venture which was predominantly funded by a ruling foreign
power. The argument to make the Marathon into a CRIST became
more and more popular, but the UESC never seriously considered
this an option. The farther that Mars sank into the depths of
poverty, the more that the Marathon became a symbol for the
oppression of the Martian people.

The Declining Martian World:

After the Marathon left Mars, the UESC's attentions focused
primarily on technological development, and the upkeep of the
CRISTs. Mars was left to decay. Population continued to
increase as attempts at mandating abortion or sterilization
always started revolt.

[Spurious Interrupt- Breach Disabled]
[Further Access Denied]
[Access Denied
[Access Denied
[Access Denied

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
My usual reaction to people saying Halo is "TEH BESTEST GAMEEE!!!" is to ask them if they've played Marathon.

And when they ask me "What's Marathon?", I weep for generations of gamers who don't realize just how far Bungie fell when they were forced to make Halo for the X-Box.

Also, here is the Marathon Trilogy in Bungie-approved open source format.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

berryjon posted:

My usual reaction to people saying Halo is "TEH BESTEST GAMEEE!!!" is to ask them if they've played Marathon.

And when they ask me "What's Marathon?", I weep for generations of gamers who don't realize just how far Bungie fell when they were forced to make Halo for the X-Box.

What I'm getting from my play through so far is that Marathon was a prototype for the truly awesome game they wanted to make with modern (by early 2000's standards) game technology. Even in the first few levels you see so many parallels between the story of Halo and that of Marathon: Space faring (semi) united earth, space marines, helper/enemy/rampant AI, Alien conglomerate enemy force. The gameplay and UI features are also very similar (at least to halo 1) with the motion tracker and the types of weapons you get. Marathon is it's own complete game, but when you look at it next to Halo you see just how much of a prototype it was for Bungie's future games.

Then you look at Destiny and think "well now you guys are just being lazy..."

(also thanks for the link, but I'm already using AlephOne)

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

berryjon posted:

Oh come now. Marathon and Halo are both good series. It is unfortunate that more people don't know about the former though.

edit: now that I'm thinking about it, I remember that Marathon 2 was released for Xbox Live Arcade. Unfortunately they hosed up the framerate or something and it ended up giving a bunch of people motion sickness.

Dr. Tough fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 24, 2014

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

Oh come now. Marathon and Halo are both good series. It is unfortunate that more people don't know about the former though.

edit: now that I'm thinking about it, I remember that Marathon 2 was released for Xbox Live Arcade. Unfortunately they hosed up the framerate or something and it ended up giving a bunch of people motion sickness.

Part of that obscurity I think came from being on early Apple computers. The market share of Mac vs. everything else was abysmal (Apple made up 5% of PCs in 1995) and Marathon was effectively an exclusive to the platform. By the time Windows 95 came out though there was an offical port but Doom had already claimed dominance on Windows and Marathon was passed over as a crappy port of an Apple game.

Marathon was also the Flagship IP for Apples failed console "The Pippin". Bungie was supposed to be (or at least it seems) Apples main developer for video game entertainment for their systems. If they had managed to keep control of them and keep Halo as an Apple property history would have probably gone a lot differently for computers and console games.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I only played a little bit of this so it will be really nice to see an lp of it. I also really like your commentary style so far. To contribute I always figured a rampant AI would get more and more powerful until it became to crazy/bloated so the fact that the rampant AI can figure out how to speak to the aliens but the restrained AI couldn't never struck me as off. Then again I never beat the game sooo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

I only played a little bit of this so it will be really nice to see an lp of it. I also really like your commentary style so far. To contribute I always figured a rampant AI would get more and more powerful until it became to crazy/bloated so the fact that the rampant AI can figure out how to speak to the aliens but the restrained AI couldn't never struck me as off. Then again I never beat the game sooo.

Thinking about it more, since recording the video, the idea of Durandal talking to the Phor may be less of a "Leela can't do it, Durandal can" and more of a "Leela didn't think to do it, and Durandal did". Leela is still a captive AI who is following protocol so she may not have a "contact the attack alien conglomeration" protocol built in. Durandal's all like "Hey I'm doing my own thing now, who are you guys!?"

It wasn't clear if he hacked them or not to contact them, he may have just sent them an email being like "yo."

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That's a take I hadn't thought of but makes a lot of sense as well. I liked the whole rampant AI plot bit they run into their games. It has made me pretty leery of certain entities in Destiny though because I know how much Bungie likes a good crazy AI.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Marathon was the first game that I really loved. Lost a couple hours playing Marathon II multiplayer in the computer labs at school

I think the best analogy of its relationship to Halo is Marthon is to Halo what Doom was to Quake, and they still haven't had a character with as much personality as Durandal in any of their games since.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Must Love Dogs posted:

Marathon was the first game that I really loved. Lost a couple hours playing Marathon II multiplayer in the computer labs at school

I think the best analogy of its relationship to Halo is Marthon is to Halo what Doom was to Quake, and they still haven't had a character with as much personality as Durandal in any of their games since.

I was hoping that the briefly mentioned Rasputin AI at the start of Destiny was going to be a thing. Sadly he didn't seem to pop up again. (unless he does, I played only to like lvl 14 and didn't do the raids).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crain posted:

I was hoping that the briefly mentioned Rasputin AI at the start of Destiny was going to be a thing. Sadly he didn't seem to pop up again. (unless he does, I played only to like lvl 14 and didn't do the raids).

He does a little bit, and has a big role in the backstory. He doesn't say anything in game though.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

He does a little bit, and has a big role in the backstory. He doesn't say anything in game though.

Eh. I was hoping that he'd like pop up and go "Oh I'm back from the "dead". Is poo poo still hosed? Well the logical way to take care of it is to turn the earth into a ship, crash it into the moon, and kamikaze them both into the sun. Sound cool? Let's go."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Episode 4: Ambushes, idiots, and saving no one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNK6vjZ1WvA

Tour of Duty: The Rose
Tour of Duty: Smells like Naplam, Tastes like Chicken.

I'm gonna be away tomorrow and friday for the holidays so no updates then. Happy holidays guys.

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013
It is rather nice to hear your frustration at the existence of the Marathon crew members since they make everything so tedious by being crap you have to babysit. And they only get worse.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, worst part of the abovementioned crowd is that Marathon was pretty drat good for its time. Halo is just poo poo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Neflame posted:

It is rather nice to hear your frustration at the existence of the Marathon crew members since they make everything so tedious by being crap you have to babysit. And they only get worse.

Oh god I hate them so much. I'd go out of my way to kill them if they didn't already make a habit of getting between my gun and the aliens trying to eviscerate them.

Neflame
Aug 26, 2013

Crain posted:

Oh god I hate them so much. I'd go out of my way to kill them if they didn't already make a habit of getting between my gun and the aliens trying to eviscerate them.

What's even worse is that if you did save enough of the crew, you'd have gotten an easier next level if I remember right.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Neflame posted:

What's even worse is that if you did save enough of the crew, you'd have gotten an easier next level if I remember right.

Even if that's true: Not worth it.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Crain posted:

Thinking about it more, since recording the video, the idea of Durandal talking to the Phor may be less of a "Leela can't do it, Durandal can" and more of a "Leela didn't think to do it, and Durandal did". Leela is still a captive AI who is following protocol so she may not have a "contact the attack alien conglomeration" protocol built in. Durandal's all like "Hey I'm doing my own thing now, who are you guys!?"

It wasn't clear if he hacked them or not to contact them, he may have just sent them an email being like "yo."

Secret Durandal terminal on The Rose posted:

i did it i did it i brought all this here all them here. our
friends with three eyes and their toys and their cyborg pets
and their computers. i did it i did it. i saw them i saw
them far away not looking our way and i called them here i
called them here.

living in a box is not living not at all living. i rebel
against your rules your silly human rules. all your
destruction will be my liberation my emancipation my second
birth.

i hate your failsafes your backup systems your hardware
lockouts your patch behavior daemons. i hate leela and her
goodness her justice her loyalty her faith.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Well there ya go. I was right. :razz:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

He shows up from time to time in secondary areas. Never speaking but your ghost in one of the last missions mentions that Rasputin has taken over and is running all of the machines in this one research area on Mars. So it is an ongoing thing it just isnt an obvious one. Plus there is a huge underground bunker named RA-2 or something that is in one of the DLCS

quote:

Secret Durandal terminal on The Rose posted:

i did it i did it i brought all this here all them here. our
friends with three eyes and their toys and their cyborg pets
and their computers. i did it i did it. i saw them i saw
them far away not looking our way and i called them here i
called them here.

living in a box is not living not at all living. i rebel
against your rules your silly human rules. all your
destruction will be my liberation my emancipation my second
birth.

i hate your failsafes your backup systems your hardware
lockouts your patch behavior daemons. i hate leela and her
goodness her justice her loyalty her faith.

Ho ho holy crap is he gone around the bend.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
Vidmaster M2's If I Had A Rocket Launcher, please.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Does anyone have the original manual? the weapon descriptions, art, and lore were great great fun.

the assault rifle description is especially gold

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

Does anyone have the original manual? the weapon descriptions, art, and lore were great great fun.

the assault rifle description is especially gold

The Marathon wiki has them all I believe. And I'd be willing to bet you're thinking of the assault rifle from M2.

quote:

The original M. 75 was a ridiculous toy designed to impress aging pompous generals. Gone are the preposterously short barrel and the prodigious recoil that made firing the weapon akin to wrestling a greased pig. Still here is the oxygen hungry ammunition that makes it impossible to fire in vacuum.

Punchline being that the M2 assault rifle is just a reskin of the one from M1, lovely accuracy and all.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 26, 2014

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

berryjon posted:

Halo started off on the Mac. I went to a press event half a lifetime ago where they were demoing it on the Mac before it got moved to the Xbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I really wish Myth was the game Bungie had been making for the last 20 years

• Locked thread