Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Steak Flavored Gum posted:

Allow me to demonstrate (with apologies for the suck at the end):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcV9f0R9Bto

You need to run and punch. Flail your character's ridiculous gibbon arms around and smack a bitch.

I have seen the errors of my ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
As I recall, it's something like 5-6x the damage.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That is amazing. It's like jousting, or an endless series of running lariats.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Hey, you guys want an episode? Here's an episode.

Episode 11. "Thank God it's you!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpRifFiyIcU

Tour of Duty: Pfhor Your Eyes Only
Tour of Duty: No Artificial Colors
Tour of Duty: Unpfhorgiven

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
FYI, those blue blips on the map are friendlies, so you know you had missed a chunk of the level by seeing those.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

and the sky is filled with light can you see it?

Aim down with the flame thrower while on the Pfhor ship and fire while walking off an elevated position.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

FYI, those blue blips on the map are friendlies, so you know you had missed a chunk of the level by seeing those.

Wait did I really miss something on one of the levels? At least besides the last one since I didn't finish it.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

You were looking at the map saying you had explored everything while a bunch of blips were taunting you.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

You were looking at the map saying you had explored everything while a bunch of blips were taunting you.

On the second or third level?

EDIT:Ah never mind, I see what you're talking about.

Crain fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 10, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Man, the old Phfor ship textures are way more restrained than the gaudy garbage in M2.

Also:

Tycho posted:

Durandal!- I know of Strauss' abuse, of your shame on Mars.
But you cannot hide from your own past; such delusions belong
to the humans alone.

I'm sure the insane AI just wants to have a nice chat and handshake with this Bernard fellow. Yeah, a real civil conversation. That's the ticket.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 12, 2015

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Durandal's MO just seems to be giving you ALL THE AMMO. Very different from the early game when you were scraping spent shells off the kitchen floor just to live.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Glazius posted:

I like how Durandal's MO just seems to be giving you ALL THE AMMO. Very different from the early game when you were scraping spent shells off the kitchen floor just to live.

Always a bad sign when the game gives you more ammo than you can carry.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
D is even more generous in later games when he figures out how to teleport ammo to you. On one hand it's like Christmas in July when he decides to give you 25 shotgun shells at once. On the other, the game is telling you that you'll need those shotgun shells shortly.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

D is even more generous in later games when he figures out how to teleport ammo to you. On one hand it's like Christmas in July when he decides to give you 25 shotgun shells at once. On the other, the game is telling you that you'll need those shotgun shells shortly.

Is there anything you specifically need missiles for? Cause I'm basically hoarding those because I think I need to reserve them.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Crain posted:

Is there anything you specifically need missiles for? Cause I'm basically hoarding those because I think I need to reserve them.

You might want to hold onto a few for the second to last level, but I think the game gets a little looser with its ammo handouts by then.

Rockets are kind of hard to use in M1 because the levels are all cramped garbage with a few exceptions.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

New Episode! So keeping track of levels is getting hard with Durandal just randomly teleporting me back and forth from the Pfhor ship. But we're still making progress.

Episode 12: Gettin' Mad at Video Games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdHuXyhQfSA

Tour of Duty: UnPFHORgiven
Tour of Duty: Two Times Two Equals...

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Total Carnage doubles the amount of ammo you can carry. You need it all.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

So we're getting close to the end. There are only 7 levels left at this point. I'm a little too busy this week to get more episodes up (quick posting from work) so I'm going to try and just power through the rest of the game friday night/saturday and finish this out in maybe 3 more episodes. On top of that I want to make a sort of "after action report" video going over the game. I really kinda wanted to comment on things that Marathon did that are note worthy as the game went on as well as just generally talk about the game but that turned out to be a lot harder to do while playing than I thought. So as to not interrupt the flow of the game I'm just going to relegate all that to a final video that goes over the story, the mechanics, how well it plays, and anything else that comes to mind. So I'll be working on that for now and try to get that up for monday.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

And I'm back with the second to last episode.

Episode 13: Getting close to the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmVGbPP8ejI

Tour of Duty: Beware of low flying defense drones
Tour of Duty: Eupfhoria
Tour of Duty: Pfhoraphobia

So the next episode is the last one. I finished this damned game. Going between Eupfhoria and Pfhoraphobia gave me a lot of trouble due to the fact that you can't save and can't heal at all during the latter. I redid that so many times. Then I beat it and couldn't figure out what I needed to do to leave, even with the walkthrough, finally I got it and just had to swap to a lower difficulty to get past. That may have hosed with the later levels but going back and checking it it seems it didn't. I think? I dunno. I may go back and just try Total Carnage mode or something just for kicks, maybe a stream for that. Last episode going up tomorrow. Then maybe that post Marathon review/retrospective. Probably not though.

At this point I think I'll be doing the rest of the Marathon games. I'll just keep this thread for them as well and add them to the OP and such. But before moving onto Marathon 2 I'm going to do a different game first. Something with voice acting.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

Crain posted:

At this point I think I'll be doing the rest of the Marathon games.

Even before watching your video, this was exactly what I wanted to hear!
Thank you for your determination!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Sue posted:

Even before watching your video, this was exactly what I wanted to hear!
Thank you for your determination!

I don't think I know what I'm getting myself into, and at this point I'd rather not be told.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Some of those drones you were blowing up in the beginning were on your side

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

Crain posted:

I don't think I know what I'm getting myself into, and at this point I'd rather not be told.

What you're getting into are vastly, vastly better games.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I feel that Marathon: Infinity in particular is the reason why this series is still so well liked.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Dr. Tough posted:

Some of those drones you were blowing up in the beginning were on your side

It was the blue ones wasn't it. drat.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

One thing about future games that isn't a spoiler but rather a game mechanic: you will *need* to learn to use your fists. There's quite a lot of swimming, where the only gun that "works" (in M2, at least) is the fusion pistol. Just because it "works", though, doesn't mean it's a good idea! :v:

You know you want to try it.
Do it.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

One thing about future games that isn't a spoiler but rather a game mechanic: you will *need* to learn to use your fists. There's quite a lot of swimming, where the only gun that "works" (in M2, at least) is the fusion pistol. Just because it "works", though, doesn't mean it's a good idea! :v:

You know you want to try it.
Do it.

Oh I'm going to. Don't worry.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

what level introduces juggernauts? missiles are good to keep for them.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

what level introduces juggernauts? missiles are good to keep for them.

Second to last. It's in the next episode.

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Oh man, trying to advance the story in Infinite will be amazing to watch.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

To be fair it's pretty hard to gently caress up unless you're actively being stupid, but we've both said too much.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Must Love Dogs posted:

Oh man, trying to advance the story in Infinite will be amazing to watch.

wait, what?

To be fair it's pretty hard to gently caress up unless you're actively being stupid, but we've both said too much.

Holdup, what?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Crain posted:

wait, what?

Holdup, what?

ahaha following the gently caress out of this thread now

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
jason jones is a filthy keyboarder who kicked my rear end in marathon mp during macworld once

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

ahaha following the gently caress out of this thread now

Ok, I may regret this but how about a little poll:

What difficulty should I play Marathon 2 on.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What are the choices?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

What are the choices?

Oh, for those who don't know:

The difficulties in Marathon range from Kindergarten to Total Carnage (Kinder>Easy>Normal>Major Damage>Total Carnage).

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Crain posted:

wait, what?

Holdup, what?

:q:

I'd say more but your suffering will be entertaining.

Crain posted:

Ok, I may regret this but how about a little poll:

What difficulty should I play Marathon 2 on.

Major Damage. TC is a brutal, brutal slog.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

uncurable mlady posted:

jason jones is a filthy keyboarder who kicked my rear end in marathon mp during macworld once

I hear Greg Kirkpatrick can reduce a man to tears with the rocket launcher.

Also play on Normal. M2 gets plenty vicious in the later levels without handicapping yourself.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Must Love Dogs
May 6, 2005

Also worth noting: in Beware of Low Flying Defense Drones, the teal drones [edit: specifically the ones at the start] were non-hostile. Notice how they, you know, flew higher than the olive ones?

Must Love Dogs fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 20, 2015

• Locked thread