Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Eonwe posted:

I get that the Darkfall stuff was pretty hardcore and had full FPS aiming and all that jazz, but I never really felt like it required that much "skill." yea, there were people that were better than most others, but in general, being able to hit people was not the issue. Hell, I feel like its harder to shoot people with a bow in Chivalry than it ever was in Darkfall..

Chivalry probably does take more skill than Darkfall, but if you're comparing MMO combat, I think Darkfall was pretty much the most "twitch skill" dependent out of all MMOs. In Darkfall, melee was pretty easy for anyone who's played for more than a few months, but anything ranged did require good reflexes and twitch skill. Chivalry on the other hand requires a lot more skill in melee, and also good aiming skill at range, though in a less twitchy manner (if only due to the long reload times; this makes aiming more important than sheer reflex). I prefer Chivalry's combat by far, but I prefer Darkfall's combat over WoW/Wildstar/whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Eonwe posted:

the official forums are loving abysmal

its a bunch of shadowbane and uo people stroking themselves off about how great they were at PvP and how everyone else was a big carebear

there are some people from guilds that were legitimately good in other games, but a guild from a decade ago isnt the same guild as now and there is no guarantee how much being good at shadowbane pvp or uo pvp will matter

MMOs aren't really about skill anyway, so why would you try to brag about them.. UO had some skill based solo and group pvp but that was only in a 7x setting that few people got to experience

To me, these open world mmos are less about being a pvp elite badass and more about having fun adventures through big territories and occasionally getting in a fight with friends in the middle of some stupid gay elf forest

If you want a skill based game, why even play an MMO

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Carol Pizzamom posted:

MMOs aren't really about skill anyway, so why would you try to brag about them.. UO had some skill based solo and group pvp but that was only in a 7x setting that few people got to experience

jesus man you can't go around saying poo poo like this OPENLY, what the gently caress is wrong with you

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zarithas posted:

Chivalry probably does take more skill than Darkfall, but if you're comparing MMO combat, I think Darkfall was pretty much the most "twitch skill" dependent out of all MMOs. In Darkfall, melee was pretty easy for anyone who's played for more than a few months, but anything ranged did require good reflexes and twitch skill. Chivalry on the other hand requires a lot more skill in melee, and also good aiming skill at range, though in a less twitchy manner (if only due to the long reload times; this makes aiming more important than sheer reflex). I prefer Chivalry's combat by far, but I prefer Darkfall's combat over WoW/Wildstar/whatever.

:agreed:

Carol Pizzamom posted:

To me, these open world mmos are less about being a pvp elite badass and more about having fun adventures through big territories and occasionally getting in a fight with friends in the middle of some stupid gay elf forest

If you want a skill based game, why even play an MMO

I wouldn't brag about it, but there are a lot of people who like to brag about how great they were at Darkfall combat. Its deeper and more skill based probably than most MMOs, but you'd think these people couldn't be touched by the way they brag about how good their clan was in Darkfall.

Its just a weird thing is all. I'm generally good at games because I surround myself with good players, but a lot of Darkfall players legitimately think they were the poo poo just because they could kinda aim a little.

Zarithas
Jun 18, 2008

Eonwe posted:

:agreed:

I wouldn't brag about it, but there are a lot of people who like to brag about how great they were at Darkfall combat. Its deeper and more skill based probably than most MMOs, but you'd think these people couldn't be touched by the way they brag about how good their clan was in Darkfall.

Its just a weird thing is all. I'm generally good at games because I surround myself with good players, but a lot of Darkfall players legitimately think they were the poo poo just because they could kinda aim a little.

It's just the nature of those kinds of communities, not completely unique to Darkfall. Narcissists flock to them and try to become e-celebrity e-sport e-champions. Imagine the kind of chestbeating you'd see if Counter Strike was an MMO.

I will say it does make the forums a lot more melodramatic and entertaining.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
First kickstarter I backed where I'm relatively sure that things are going to go awry shortly after the project sets sail, but gently caress it, it's time to ~back the dream~

Only for $30 tho, I'm not completely insane.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zarithas posted:

It's just the nature of those kinds of communities, not completely unique to Darkfall. Narcissists flock to them and try to become e-celebrity e-sport e-champions. Imagine the kind of chestbeating you'd see if Counter Strike was an MMO.

Yeah, thats a good point.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Zarithas posted:

There's a certain disconnect you get in an MMO where you can kind of learn about the game, grind a bunch, start a clan where you all stick together, and beat people in a way that was kind of won outside the combat system instead of skill within the combat system, in my opinion. I'm not saying this kind of game is bad, but MMO players need to learn their place, bitches. It's like when WoW arena was trying to be an 'e-sport'.. I don't get why you would want that, even if you could pull it off.

Basically, eat poo poo nerds

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
do we want an actual thread or do we want to keep this one

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A new, slightly less rubbish thread would be nice.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Someone should make one if they feel like it. I can make terrible posts anywhere

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Somebody who actually follows their forums should do it, I just wait for the choice quotes here.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Anoia posted:

$30 is just the right amount for me to go "ah, gently caress it"

those crafty bastards

Same.

One question as I didn't see it in big screaming letters, but is this a one time purchase or a subscription game?

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
They posted this on their kickstarter page:

quote:

Is there a monthly membership fee required to play the game?
There is no monthly fee required.
There is an optional monthly fee, for players elect to sign up for VIP membership.
To be clear: a VIP membership is NOT required to play the game.

Is the game Free-to-Play, with micropayments? Or is there a retail price?
Crowfall is “buy to play,” meaning that you only have to buy the retail game, in order to play.
With the purchase of the game, you get a single game account. This account can be used to log into the Crowfall game universe.
Each account is limited to three (3) characters/avatars, and one (1) passive training slot.

Which seems to be fairly straightforward and a good model, but then they also had this:

quote:

Can I buy advancement, or powerful items from the shop?
No. The shop only sells cosmetic (non-balance affecting) items, game time, and additional space (parcels of land, on which structures can be placed) for your Personal Kingdom.

My bolding, which I greatly assume is some sort of miscommunication but hey :)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Yeah it's VIP time

Orv
May 4, 2011
For which you'll probably get either A. Cash shop discounts or B. Cash shop stipend and then various benefits like more slots as long as you're VIP or whatever they end up doing. Probably an extra passive training slot or something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yea you'll probably get funbux, discounts on the shop, and queue priority if there is a queue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3702963

here you guys go

• Locked thread