Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Payndz posted:

I rather miss the days when Bond movies were fun. Craig's Bond is a broken, angry husk of a man stumbling through the world's most dangerous midlife crisis who fails at everything except killing, and the villains he's faced are colourless thugs with dull goals like "make money" and "monopolise a small country's water supply". Bring back swagger! Bring back cool! Bring back puns and OTT bad guys and monorails!

Unfortunately, everything I've heard about Spectre from the Sony leaks suggests it's going to be more of the same, a grim reflection of the real world rather than the funhouse mirror of the Connery/Moore years. :smith:

The Craig Bonds are just dreadful for this reason. Their scripts might as well be Bourne Identity sequels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Maybe one's perspective on Bond depends on what era you grew up with. I'll always associate 007 with the kitschy tongue in cheek humor, the larger-than-life personality, and fighting the commies. Cheap thrills made to entertain and excite. The Craig era has been so comparatively devoid of humor, and I can't even say it's a novel approach because most action movies of its type have also moved in a similarly dour direction. It doesn't feel like Bond to me at all, perhaps it's truer to the original Fleming "vision" but who still gives a gently caress about that. I watch Skyfall and think they just took a generic spy thriller script and slapped a bunch of Bond poo poo around the periphery, which maybe works as a movie, but fails to work as a 007 film. In an environment filled to the brim with 160 minute heavy action monstrosities, the world could use a tidy 100 minute Bond film that does its thing and doesnt take its inherently ludicrous premise too seriously.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not really, GoldenEye 64 came out when the film itself was on home video. People really liked the film when it came out and the difference between it and its sequel is pretty evident.

I think Goldeneye stands alone as one of my Top 3 Bond films period. It's got a killer opening, a great villain, solid action sequences, and a decent femme fatale. It also keeps everything moving for a tidy 130 minutes and is plain fun to watch.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

TWINE is a below average Bond film at best but man, the theme is like Top 5 for me. It belongs in a much better movie.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cyra posted:

It's weird, I seem to recall TWINE being remembered positively for portraying Bond as flawed and being more of a cerebral outing, but it's almost universally reviled now. I was only ever lukewarm with it at best, it's pretty forgettable; but it's gotta be better than some of more terrible Bond movies.

My take on Brosnan is that he was a good Bond in some pretty bad Bond movies. Goldeneye is an all-time classic, and each film after that just gets progressively worse. It's funny how the end of his run coincided with the bizarre Muscle Inflation phenomenon in male action roles, so now even 007 looks like a goddamn bodybuilder with 8% bodyfat, and probably whoever follows after Craig will have the same physique.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Another lethal shot to the hat of Baron Samedi.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I always wanted to see Guy Pearce as 007, shame he's too old for it now.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

James Bond faces off against a young Weyland creating a private army of androids in the prequel to Prometheus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

quote:

O.W.: Measure them. Measure them!
I never could stand looking at Bette Davis, so I don’t want to see her act, you see. I hate Woody Allen physically, I dislike that kind of man.

H.J.: I’ve never understood why. Have you met him?

O.W.: Oh, yes. I can hardly bear to talk to him. He has the Chaplin disease. That particular combination of arrogance and timidity sets my teeth on edge.

H.J.: He’s not arrogant; he’s shy.

O.W.: He is arrogant. Like all people with timid personalities, his arrogance is unlimited. Anybody who speaks quietly and shrivels up in company is unbelievably ­arrogant. He acts shy, but he’s not. He’s scared. He hates himself, and he loves himself, a very tense situation. It’s people like me who have to carry on and pretend to be modest. To me, it’s the most embarrassing thing in the world—a man who presents himself at his worst to get laughs, in order to free himself from his hang-ups. Everything he does on the screen is therapeutic.

Orson Welles completely has Allen's number here, goddamn.

• Locked thread