Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
there are a number of technological constraints that prevent them from implementing any other type of combat, which you can see in popular korean MMO Vindictus which has a maximum of 6 players in missions (and a max of 20 in raids). in regard to your leagues complaint, um, have u even played WoW........................................................

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I wasn't aware WoW had them cause I only played it for 2 hours before deciding that it isn't different enough from other MMORPGs I've tried to keep going at it. I've never seen them in other MMORPGs but I've certainly not tried them all.

The technological constraints preventing more interesting gameplay makes sense.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I don't get Mario games. Like, what is the deal with Luigi? They look so goddamn much like the same person.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

little munchkin posted:

I don't get Mario games. Like, what is the deal with Luigi? They look so goddamn much like the same person.
They are twins, that is why.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

J-Spot posted:

They are twins, that is why.

I bet if you asked them if they want ice cream they both would say yes.

Akoogly Eyes
Apr 27, 2010

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes
I don't get the Senran Kagura series. Oh wait, boobs. I get it now. What a good series.

Tucked In The Cut
Nov 15, 2006

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd rather brush my teeth
with a rusty razor
than front and bullshit
with all you fakers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shmups are the most pure abstraction of gameplay in existence, and once you get good enough at recognizing how things can hit you, visual patterns, aimed patterns vs. static patterns that don't take your location into account, things get much less overwhelming -- what I'm saying is, you can only truly enjoy shmups if you have a heck of smart brain

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I don't get the whole Mass Effect thing, I tried the first one and it's probably the most boring mainstream game I ever played, and from the way everyone talks about it, it seems more like a soap opera than a game. But even more badly written than a typical tv soap opera.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Shmups can give you a smart brain. Kids shouldn't need to go to school, they should just play Dodonpachi Daioujou.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Gamma Nerd posted:

Shmups can give you a smart brain. Kids shouldn't need to go to school, they should just play Dodonpachi Daioujou.

This is wrong.

They should go to school, to learn to Dodonpachi. There should be majors in Dodonpachiology.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
I don't get how people enjoy Baldur's Gate 1&2.

The real time combat really does not work well with DnD's rules and makes battles a pain in the rear end to control since you need to constantly pause to input new commands, to the point where it should have just been turn based to begin with.

Same goes for Dragon Age: Origins and most other real time infinity engine DnD games.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i, pumpkinreaper, don't actuallly understand how to play video games

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The Sims is like the best selling game ever and I don't get it stall. I only played the first one way back when it cane out but it was just telling a guy when to eat and sleep.

Any sort of pay to win game. It's no fun to play against people that have bought better weapons than you. I can't imagine it's fun to spend real money on better video game weapons either.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
The Sims is like the best selling game ever and I don't get it stall. I only played the first one way back when it cane out but it was just telling a guy when to eat and sleep.

Any sort of pay to win game. It's no fun to play against people that have bought better weapons than you. I can't imagine it's fun to spend real money on better video game weapons either.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Any sort of pay to win game. It's no fun to play against people that have bought better weapons than you. I can't imagine it's fun to spend real money on better video game weapons either

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Any sort of pay to win game. It's no fun to play against people that have bought better weapons than you. I can't imagine it's fun to spend real money on better video game weapons either

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Sorry quadruple post.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Earwicker posted:

I don't get the whole Mass Effect thing, I tried the first one and it's probably the most boring mainstream game I ever played, and from the way everyone talks about it, it seems more like a soap opera than a game. But even more badly written than a typical tv soap opera.

It was one of those good ideas in practice but the fact is each game was changed to a marginal degree if you were moving characters from game to game and then the ending sucked so bad they had to patch in a new one which i still don't think was great and also again didn't really take into account anything that your character may have done in previous game which was one of the main selling points at the start.

Anyhoo for me i never get the appeal of RTS games they've never really done it for me. Also turn based stuff usually gets boring pretty quick or its very much one strat to win and if you don't do it the ai with all its buffs at a higher level will stomp you so good.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Dr_Amazing posted:

The appeal is that you've got complete control over a family of tiny people. If all you're doing is making them eat, sleep, go to work, etc. regularly and on time then you're playing to win, and that's the exact wrong way to play The Sims.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

There aren't really any games I don't "get." I don't "get" some of the habits of gamers, though.

What's the appeal of doing 100% runs in RPGs? For those unfamiliar, this includes getting the maximum possible of every item, stat, money, etc. In Final Fantasy VI, for example, that means getting 99 of every single weapon where it's possible--which requires stealing endlessly from enemies, farming up enough gp to buy 99 of an item, etc. There's also stuff like "single character challenges," "job fiestas" for playing through the game for the millionth time, and low-level runs.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
It's not something I've ever bothered doing but I can see the appeal of adding a challenge to a game you've played a bunch of times already but still love.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
if u dont understand how its possible to like seeing numbers go up idk what 2 tell u

Prowler
May 24, 2004

THE PENETRATOR posted:

if u dont understand how its possible to like seeing numbers go up idk what 2 tell u

I suddenly "get" cookie clicker.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Pumpkinreaper posted:

I don't get how people enjoy Baldur's Gate 1&2.

The real time combat really does not work well with DnD's rules and makes battles a pain in the rear end to control since you need to constantly pause to input new commands, to the point where it should have just been turn based to begin with.

Same goes for Dragon Age: Origins and most other real time infinity engine DnD games.

You can pause and queue up stuff.

I am also on the boat of not getting Dark Souls. It just seems more annoying than fun being locked into a long rear end animation that kills you or bullshit environment kills that you aren't even hinted at. I get the appeal of a harder game but Bayonetta & DMC are both harder games that feel fair.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I really don't get "Warios woods" As much as i've tried to get into the game and get to grips with the appeal, I just don't get the appeal of wario's woods.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Terreria. I've tried a couple times and nothing clicks and I just give up on having fun with it.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Lant posted:

It just seems more annoying than fun being locked into a long rear end animation that kills you or bullshit environment kills that you aren't even hinted at.

I know Dark Souls isn't the game for everyone, and I totally understand people who don't like it ... but neither of these things are actually true. There aren't really any instant kill environmental traps that don't have at least some way for you to detect them beforehand in either game, and I don't recall the existence of any really long player death animations outside of the easily avoided grabs or parries. There is a reason why Dark Souls is actually considered a pretty big example of a game that is "fair, but hard".

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

it's a big budget AAA console release that doesn't simplify the gameplay to the lowest common denominator and try to be a barely interactive movie

it's basically like seeing a live unicorn, is what i'm saying

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I had a friend who was completely unable to play a game less than perfectly. Constant save scumming if he felt anything went less than perfect. He would check guides before starting to make sure he had the optimum character build. He wouldn't finish an area if he didn't collect every random potion in it (and check game faqs to make sure)

I don't understand how that could be enjoyable at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I am really terrible at the Dark Souls games but I appreciate them because they bring back a feeling that I haven't really felt in a game since trying out nethack when I was a kid, just in the sense that you really have to figure out everything for yourself, nothing at all is spoonfed to you - you are just sort of thrown into the world with a rudimentary understanding of the basic mechanics and left to figure out how to progress through trial and error (mostly error).

It's like the exact opposite of the Assasins Creed games, which I sometimes enjoy but generally I get irritated with how overtly "gamey" they are and how half the game feels like a mandatory tutorial.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 24, 2014

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I don't "get" how anyone could enjoy vanilla Garry's Mod after a few hours, but then again there are people who've been playing minecraft for years.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lant posted:

I am also on the boat of not getting Dark Souls. It just seems more annoying than fun being locked into a long rear end animation that kills you or bullshit environment kills that you aren't even hinted at. I get the appeal of a harder game but Bayonetta & DMC are both harder games that feel fair.
I don't think there's a single trap in Dark Souls I and II that doesn't give you clear warnings before hand. Add player messages and you generally get a pretty good idea of what's coming.

If for example you see "try tongue but hole" then you know a female character is about to show up. You got to pay attention to the details.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Mans posted:

I don't think there's a single trap in Dark Souls I and II that doesn't give you clear warnings before hand. Add player messages and you generally get a pretty good idea of what's coming.

If for example you see "try tongue but hole" then you know a female character is about to show up. You got to pay attention to the details.

real talk: I was confused on where Lucatiel was supposed to show up in the green slime world until I read "try below but thrust attack!" on a cliff and knew instantly where to go.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't understand clunky third person shooters like Resident Evil. I also don't understand why anyone would play anything with a body armored man as the protagonist.

And Bioshock. The gameplay is dogshit and I just don't want to be reminded that libertarians exist.

Earwicker posted:

Yeah it just looks so terrible. How many fictional manly leader type characters are called a variation of "Shepard", I think I can think of two or three outside of ME. If you want bad sci fi, just watch a bad sci fi movie and be done with it in less time.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This feels destined to be the thread everyone gets to post a boring list of every single popular game that has ever existed that they are angry other people like.

Man gently caress you. I like to read about negativity, especially if it's presented in an orderly list.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 24, 2014

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lant posted:

I don't really have strong feelings either way about Dark Souls but it's basically a game that's tailor-made for a goon demographic, which is why it's such a popular discussion topic on these forums. Just grognardy enough for the thirtysomethings here who instinctively hate anything released after BG2, just hard enough to create an in-group of people who "get it" and have the opportunity to lord their skill over those who don't have the time or patience to figure out the obscure mechanics, decent graphics but also really lifeless colors so goons can't be accused of liking something too cartoony.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Cyra posted:

Terreria. I've tried a couple times and nothing clicks and I just give up on having fun with it.

Same. Normally, I wouldn't want a tutorial, but Terraria kind of needs one. Can I take five minutes to figure out your dogshit, unintuitive interface without being attacked by some random bullcrap? No? Alright. gently caress you, game.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Here's a genuine one: I don't get #sworcery

Everyone recommended this poo poo but I don't see why

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

in-group of people who "get it" and have the opportunity to lord their skill over those who don't have the time or patience to figure out the obscure mechanics,

I've never actually seen anyone do this, Dark Souls is just super fun. I haven't even made it past the third boss and I've played different characters up to her many times. It keeps going on sale for $5 on steam and I keep buying more copies for more friends.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Planescape: loved the other infinity engine games but this was utter loving garbage.

Psychonauts: a bad 3d platformer with "zany" humour. gently caress off.

Anything that describes itself as rogue like: oh so you mean your game is unfun bullshit for masochists? Who needs games to be fun and/or a way to relax?

Mass effect: played the first one and it was a mediocre third person cover shooter with a simple dialogue tree and basic rpg inventory management. Don't understand people creaming their jeans declaring it to be a great rpg series at all. Also the story is the usual sci fi twaddle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't get MMOs and never will, seems like they demand way too much time of you and you can only devote proper time to it if you're unemployed/have zero social life. Grinding endlessly and joylessly is mystifying for me. The second Destiny added even more grindy poo poo to it was the end of the line for me but there's plenty of people who still play its 6 missions over and over.

I somewhat "get" Dark Souls but to me it is just so ugly and boring and I've become disenfranchised with it now since everyone uses it as a value for things, i.e. "this is the Dark Souls of ____" or "Zelda should be more like Dark Souls" god loving forbid. I don't particularly think it's hard but I'm baffled why such a dirt-covered game with such half-assed janky control is rated so highly. That being said, I'm actually really looking forward to Bloodborne since it looks like it's a bit faster paced in combat and uses a more interesting setting.

Also I played Psychonauts and agree it was a boring lovely platformer that only gets good rep for its writing/characters. Parts where you have to farm loving tokens and money materials over and over in the overworld just to buy required items made me just quit because it wasn't worth it.

• Locked thread