Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Can someone, preferably a speed runner, tell me the best way to alternate up and right or up and left very quickly on a Wii U Pro Controller D-Pad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Preferably using a thumb.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wormskull posted:

Preferably using a thumb.

use your thumb to press your dick tip firmly into the pad. your dick will even out the pressure and help you perform smoother slides and circles

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't need to do circles, I need to press up and right really fast to get across vines quicker in Donkey Kong Jr.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I've done it on accident before but if you do it properly it almost looks instant.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

use your thumb to press your dick tip firmly into the pad. your dick will even out the pressure and help you perform smoother slides and circles

I'm giving you one warning. One. If you post this poo poo again, you will have your head shoved so far up your rear end that you will not see the light of day again. You will be banned so hard that it will require three separate reregs just to read posts in byob. Now gently caress. Off.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

I'm giving you one warning. One. If you post this poo poo again, you will have your head shoved so far up your rear end that you will not see the light of day again. You will be banned so hard that it will require three separate reregs just to read posts in byob. Now gently caress. Off.

This.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
This time around, Mario is not the hero but the would-be villain (although you can't blame good hearted Mario for being upset with Donkey Kong for trying to steal his girlfriend.) Once Mario caught Donkey Kong, he imprisoned him in a cage. Whatever he is planning on doing with him, Donkey Kong Jr. must rescue his father before he finds out. Climbing from the bottom of each stage to top before time runs out, while Mario keeps Donkey Kong just out of reach until Jr. can find a way to free papa once and for all.

Starting out

Junior must grab one of the three vines above him, and climb up to one of the two ledges to his right. He can jump to the next vine from either ledge, where he must fall down to the tree top below.

Carefully jump right from one vine to the next before grabbing the fourth vine from the right. Climb up above the right ledge and maneuver Junior over to the far right vines. Climb up and on to the branch above. Jump over any Snapjaws that pose a threat and leap up to the higher section of the branch before leaping for the key and ending the stage.

Fruit

Along the way, the pear and apple fruit prizes can be plucked with ease. If you have time, it pays to eliminate any of the Red Snapjaws since they won't come back. The banana is in a precarious position and should only be plucked if time and safety permits.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I get the rules of the game, and I even get the theory of moving fast left and right on the vines, but I don't get quite how to do it reliably.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Borsche69 posted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Have you tried very quickly moving your thumb from the right side of the D-pad's upper half, to the left side (or vice-versa if the opposite motion is intended)?

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

Have you tried very quickly moving your thumb from the right side of the D-pad's upper half, to the left side (or vice-versa if the opposite motion is intended)?

Yeah but I think the DPad got worn out or something. I know that I accidentally did it when I was just hitting right as fast as I could somehow but I know hitting up between rights must be the key since the TAS probably wouldn't waste a frame of input every time on it otherwise.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Yeah but I think the DPad got worn out or something. I know that I accidentally did it when I was just hitting right as fast as I could somehow but I know hitting up between rights must be the key since the TAS probably wouldn't waste a frame of input every time on it otherwise.

Hm. Wells that's all I've got, good luck with the D-pad Help.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

hmmm, you're getting into some pretty advanced precision control territory here op

despite the obvious trolling in this thread (:rolleyes:) I hope you get your answers soon

best of luck to you

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Rest your hand 45 degrees on the pad so that your thumb naturally rests in the up-right direction of the dpad. Press up-right and then wiggle your hand. It doesn't work too well for up-left though.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Gimbal lock posted:

Rest your hand 45 degrees on the pad so that your thumb naturally rests in the up-right direction of the dpad. Press up-right and then wiggle your hand. It doesn't work too well for up-left though.

Well the thing is, I only need to do it about 3 times in a row.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The SNES controller has the best d pad ever made, I think

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Looper posted:

The SNES controller has the best d pad ever made, I think

I'd use one if you could with a Wii U.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

They got a Wii one for like 99 dollars used from JP club nintendo.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Okay I'm going to put a video to show what I'm trying to do. In the first take I almost do it except it doesn't have the fast transfers so I'm just short, the second 2 attempts show me accidentally doing the instantaneous transfers, and then the last one is another one where I do kind of fast transfers but if I got at least one or two instantaneous ones in there I would of dropped the apple in front of the yellow spark. Right now my time is 22.5 and I got that with the apple falling behind the spark, on the TAS it falls way in front of it, and on the regular speed run it's probably the length of 2 zigs and 2 zags in front of it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLjz-kMTeB0

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Besides seeing the TAS and RTA I've dropped the apple at about RTA length in front of it myself before and was so shocked that I hosed up the rest of the run so I know it can be done.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Borsche69 posted:

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Have you tried doing it with both thumbs, OP

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

qnqnx posted:

Have you tried doing it with both thumbs, OP

What button am I going to press jump with. Are you even reading the thread? gently caress you.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Place the joint of your thumb firmly on the up arm of the dpad. Twist the tip of the thumb over to the right arm, without having pressure or it. Alternate which arm you are pressing firmly on now.

For the left side, do the same thing with the joint on the left arm and the tip on the top arm.

Thread locked.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
roll your finger OP, hope this helps

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Sorry OP, I don't know. I'll think it over and report back if I think of something.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

What about putting the middle finger on the Up and the index finger on the Left and the ring finger on the Right?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

take apart your pro controller and wire the d-pad points up to a keyboard that has easy-to-press keys and just use that

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

op, it's clear you lack the double-jointed characteristic to make this kind of action happen. you need an extremely flexible trapeziometacarpal joint in order to position your thumb in the way to do the action you described naturally and on command. it sucks, but sometimes practice can't make up for biological reality.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the guy that made the speed run has a third thumb OP. have you tried that?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
so if 1:30 is the diagonal between up(12) and right (3) you wanna aim for a little bit past 1 and then in the same fluid motion start rolling your thumb twords 2. spend some time practicing with nothing playing so that you can clearly hear the inputs being registered and just try to get them to fire off as quickly as possible.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

cut off your hand (or maybe just your thumb) and get a robotic replacement that has perfect muscle memory

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Thanks for the help folks.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I found a somewhat of a method, and also got the known WR on this remix stage. It could even be faster but my hand hurts to much to try right now. Thanks for all the help.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJh2LOgC0MY

I was too shocked at what I did to continue doing the fast horizontal moves after the apple dropped. In the RTA speedrun the guy finishes the stage with 4400 bonus and the apple was quite further than that in front of the apple so it can probably be like 22.0... The method I used was using my other hand to shake the controller quickly with my thumb kind of in between up and right, or up and left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Wormskull posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJh2LOgC0MY
The method I used was using my other hand to shake the controller quickly with my thumb kind of in between up and right, or up and left.

yeah this is how a lot of people do the intense mashing for stuff like Zombie Hovers in Wind Waker.

When I mash on SNES I find a Bic lighter works great, you just slide it back and forth and the shape of the buttons+the lighter really work great together to make a solid mashing experience.

• Locked thread