Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

mookface posted:

I do. I hopeIive outside. But you know you used to maybe go camping and someone from idaho would tell you a joke. You ain't never heard that joke before because it was an Idaho joke. Everything was word of mouth which is slow. Slow and particular. Everyone's on Instagram now.

I'm not. Also what's a hopelive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Zombie Boat posted:

I'm not. Also what's a hopelive?

If you hopelive outside that's good time to go leafpeeping

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I just anger nap

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

BASF posted:

In heaven...everything is fine.

In Russia, culture homogenize you!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Japan is still pretty isolated culturally, compared to most advanced nations.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No. 6 posted:

Yeah but they had this beautiful geographic isolation for centuries and now its leaking out and has influenced cultures in the other side of the world. Imagine a world without anime? I eat sushi once a week.

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014
Tribalism is an inherent human instinct and drive. Some new fragmentation will inevitably occur. Nationalist identities will likely die out, though certainly not within our lifetimes. Racial identities are more likely to fade as interracial pairings become more commonplace. Humanity will likely never be united under a single government and ideology (despite what Star Trak would have us believe); I think anarchism is loving awesome, but many others would consider living in such a society Hell on Earth. Watch the first space colonization efforts rend human culture and society in twain.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Yes comrade, the in russia the private life is no more

I don't think culture will ever really be fully homogenized. There are still ethnic neighborhoods, stores, etc.
People still hang on to their cultures, well, at least the elders do. When they die out, it will be up to the kids to carry on.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Glad of this and all things that destroy American traditional values.

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

killaer posted:

People still hang on to their cultures, well, at least the elders do. When they die out, it will be up to the kids to carry on.

Yeah, no way in Hell are the people in my generation (or the ones following) perpetuating our parents'/grandparents' culture. I am not saying that as some sort of assurance or out of some cognizance of the zeitgeist; it just has not loving happened. The Internet, cultural imperialism, and modern technology have created a global identity that, regardless of the efforts of our predecessors, will eventually subsume the entire world. Definitely not within our lifetimes (or our grandchildrens' lifetimes), of course.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

mookface posted:

I do. I hopeIive outside. But you know you used to maybe go camping and someone from idaho would tell you a joke. You ain't never heard that joke before because it was an Idaho joke. Everything was word of mouth which is slow. Slow and particular. Everyone's on Instagram now.

i'm not on instagram, you have forgotten that when natural barriers cease to exist people still erect artificial barriers between themselves and other groups, ergo there can still be unique formations that do not propagate between the groups

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

cyberpunk stories think everyone will speak a blend of english and chinese but really it will mostly be emojis

Ragtime Cthulhu
Dec 11, 2014

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

i'm not on instagram, you have forgotten that when natural barriers cease to exist people still erect artificial barriers between themselves and other groups, ergo there can still be unique formations that do not propagate between the groups

Exactly, you need look no further than these forums for proof of this phenomena. Tribalism is embedded in our psyche.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

mookface posted:

Yeah but they had this beautiful geographic isolation for centuries and now its leaking out and has influenced cultures in the other side of the world. Imagine a world without anime? I eat sushi once a week.

It's unfortunate that Japan has nothing else to offer besides anime and sushi.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

Mr. Pumroy posted:

cyberpunk stories think everyone will speak a blend of english and chinese but really it will mostly be emojis

i was just reminded of snow crash after reading the insightful op.

the floating city with small vessels made of scrap and garbage tethered together, and the metaphor about ants climbing over each other in a cluster to cross large bodies of water.

i think that's the prob with endemic ideology. it is weak and very antlike, but if perchance it climbs upon a large and sometimes very obese people, i know better than to fight a fat person who is beyond reasoning for the last piece of cake.

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

No. 6 posted:

their cunning metalwork is unsurpassed

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

No. 6 posted:

i hear they have two neat boardgames but that's literally it for that department

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp
gay as gently caress OP

Tom Sellout
May 27, 2011

$240 million of Johnny Walker Blue and Throatzilla's services.
Try talking with a throbbing cock buried deep down your throat, op. Not too many cultures have been built around that.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
you're right op, but the experiences and feelings won't change, just the medium

don't read the roanoke thread on acid mook, come on

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Give me back my broken night
my mirrored room, my secret life
it's lonely here,
there's no one left to torture
Give me absolute control
over every living soul
And lie beside me, baby,
that's an order!
Give me crack and anal sex
Take the only tree that's left
and stuff it up the hole
in your culture
Give me back the Berlin wall
give me Stalin and St Paul
I've seen the future, brother:
it is murder.

Things are going to slide, slide in all directions
Won't be nothing
Nothing you can measure anymore
The blizzard, the blizzard of the world
has crossed the threshold
and it has overturned
the order of the soul
When they said REPENT REPENT
I wonder what they meant
I wonder what they meant
I wonder what they meant

You don't know me from the wind
you never will, you never did
I'm the little jew
who wrote the Bible
I've seen the nations rise and fall
I've heard their stories, heard them all
but love's the only engine of survival
Your servant here, he has been told
to say it clear, to say it cold:
It's over, it ain't going
any further
And now the wheels of heaven stop
you feel the devil's riding crop
Get ready for the future:
it is murder

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
When Westerners colonize Mars, the universe will know the One True Culture of Humanity

Tevryr
Dec 5, 2009

hemophilia posted:

There's a reason adults are jacking off to ponies and not so much Wacky Races or whatever old peolle watched for cartoons
Wow, don't just go around assuming dude.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

No. 6 posted:

Electronics, video games, most of the world's vehicles and motorbikes, manufacturing/supply processes (Just in time was a japanese invention), and thats just the stuff they export bzzzzt try again

edit no one cares about zen buddhism

the worst thing is fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 25, 2014

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
ever get the feeling that people funneled through the institution of academia are refined only to be perceived as the interchangable cogs of an organic amorphism, having no inherent unique role and purpose, and should compete for use of resources in a fashion which insincerely represents them to be slightly more efficient than a machine in order to survive?

in light of this knowledge, maintaining this charade breaks moore's law.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

a posting ghost posted:

Electronics, video games, most of the world's vehicles and motorbikes, manufacturing/supply processes (Just in time was a japanese invention), and thats just the stuff they export bzzzzt try again

edit no one cares about zen buddhism

You smarty man

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

a posting ghost posted:

Modern communication methods might be fast, but theyre still insular..people choose to be insular. A one world race and culture would solve half the worlds problems, but its not gonna happen

nah, bc then itll just be short people and fats that have to sit at the back of the bus

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

No. 6 posted:

no it's just different, and is one of the only non-western European/American developed countries, leading white people to freak the gently caress out because there are people on earth different from them and due to Japan's wealth its differences are visible

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Ragtime Cthulhu posted:

Yeah, no way in Hell are the people in my generation (or the ones following) perpetuating our parents'/grandparents' culture. I am not saying that as some sort of assurance or out of some cognizance of the zeitgeist; it just has not loving happened. The Internet, cultural imperialism, and modern technology have created a global identity that, regardless of the efforts of our predecessors, will eventually subsume the entire world. Definitely not within our lifetimes (or our grandchildrens' lifetimes), of course.

white western liberal thinks white western liberal culture is inherently superior to all others and will inevitably conquer them, news at 11

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 25, 2014

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
yeah but how many cultures did our current cultures murder OP?

who cares its just gonna keep happening. why deprive the future of sweet new cultures by limiting homogenization today? of course by that I mean being a racist prick and beating up the queers in the alley with interracial relationships?

Notmypants
Jan 3, 2014

Pants pants moose pants.
Which culture wears those skull shoulder pads and raises the dead?

Let's head towards that one.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
I agree with the OP.

Fact: Languages are facing extinction across the world, as small cultures are overwhelmed by larger ones.
Fact: Urbanization is ongoing, but only a trend of the last 10,000 years or so. As it continues, homogenization will happen by default.

Consider: The effect in America of "The Chain". Prior to Woolworths, I think, each town, each city, had local and unique stores. Contemplate the effect that Wal Mart, McDonalds, etc, have had on that uniqueness.

Theory: Consumption of American influenced media (movies, sports, video games, music) will make an Earth wide culture. It's clearly already underway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I am in a country currently where people don't give a single gently caress about American culture other than for its currency and a few products. Local culture here is stronger than anything America could ever export here. ..I mean sure, most people here would probably move to America if given the chance, but that's due to economic realities and grass being greener on the other side of the ocean thinking. I think most people live just fine here (Cambodia).

• Locked thread