Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Wooden robot must learn to trust Sensei!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Your robot becomes still in your hands. You decide to teach rhim that the word for this state is…

1. "Peace."

2. "Trust."

3. "Helplessness."

4. "Weakness."

quote:

"Trust," Killall repeats back as you set rhim on the ground. You have taught rhim to have a little faith that when a human does something rhe doesn't understand, things will turn out well.

(+Empathy)
(+Military)

By now, it is near midnight, and you have another busy day ahead of improving Killall. You get ready for bed, leaving Killall plugged into the wall with your cell phone charger.

"Stay there," you tell rhim.

Killall obediently stays very still — so still that, while you are drifting off to sleep, you glance down at Killall just to make sure rer code didn't crash.

But rhe is still there, looking up at you adoringly, and you think rhe will probably remain like that all night.

CHAPTER TWO - MACHINE, LEARNING

quote:

The next day, you take Killall to the Stanford hacker space, which has more tools for electronics than the fabrication shop. None of the other students are around in the morning on a Sunday but the long stainless steel workbenches are littered with their strange, half-finished projects: a half-disassembled Furby, a potato gun, a circuit board connected to a houseplant.

"Sorry, Killall, but I'm going to have to power you down for a moment," you say. "We're going to switch you to a new power source."

"Strong?" Killall asks.

"Yes, you'll be much stronger," you assure Killall.

"Okay," Killall says.

You fiddle with the smartphone lodged in Killall's back, exit the application that is Killall's mind, and power it down.

What will you use for a power source?

1. A car battery. It's big and bulky but also inexpensive and locally made.

2. A motorcycle battery: not quite as bulky nor as powerful as the car battery.

3. A biodiesel engine. Good for the environment, and everybody likes the smell of French fries.

4. Cell phone batteries made in China: lightweight and cheap while providing reasonable power. Clearly the best choice for a dexterous robot.

Stats posted:

Year: 2019

24-year-old Barry Tezuka
Humanity: 58%
Fame: 0 (Who?)
Wealth: 0 (Broke)
Romance: none

Killall
Autonomy: 4 (Buggy)
Military: 12 (Stable)
Empathy: 4 (Buggy)
Grace: 6 (In Beta)

Material: Wood
Head: Ring of cameras
Mobility: Eight legs
Hands: ALL OF THEM
Engine: ?

Relationships
Professor Ziegler: 74% (Great)
Elly: 52% (Good)
Josh: 54% (Good)
?: 50%

Achievements Unlocked posted:

Gadgeteer: Made Professor Ziegler reminisce about the Chief. (5 points)

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

A phone battery for every limb!

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
Biodiesel Engine. Just because Killall has military purposes including possible wholesale slaughter doesn't mean rhe can't be environmentally friendly at the same time.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Biodiesel Engine because save the environment.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Phone batteries for all the limbs, because destroying humanity will be plenty good for saving the earth.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Biodiesel means my killbot will run on goddamn anything!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If we let the bot use car batteries will the bot learn to eat cars for nourishment?

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
Biodiesel Our robot overlords will save the environment and Kill all humans with 50% greater efficiency!

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Biodiesel is the way to go. Hopefully rhe can be modded to synthesize biodiesel from human corpses.

Edited for proper robotic pronoun usage.

John Lee fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 27, 2014

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

What will you use for a power source?

1. A car battery. It's big and bulky but also inexpensive and locally made.

2. A motorcycle battery: not quite as bulky nor as powerful as the car battery.

3. A biodiesel engine. Good for the environment, and everybody likes the smell of French fries.

4. Cell phone batteries made in China: lightweight and cheap while providing reasonable power. Clearly the best choice for a dexterous robot.

quote:

You're more environmentally and socially conscious than most inventors, ready to sacrifice some elegance in the name of saving the planet. You have your buckets full of leftover grease from nearby fast food restaurants all ready to go. People near Killall will find rer smell of McDonald's French fries strangely comforting.

(++Empathy)
(+2 Humanity)

You'll need a lot of motors to be able to power your full robot — in addition to the motors rhe needs when rhe crawls and the motors to power rer Inspector Gadget arms, rhe also needs motors for moving rer head and eyes. But after speccing out the power available to you, you can still splurge by adding extra motors in one place. What will it be?

1. Extra degrees of freedom in the face for realistic facial expressions.

2. In Killall's Inspector Gadget arms for fine manipulation.

3. I would prefer to save the power for Killall's mind.

Stats posted:

24-year-old Barry Tezuka
Humanity: 60%

Killall
Autonomy: 4 (Buggy)
Empathy: 6 (In Beta)

Engine: Biodiesel

Relationships

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Manipulation shmafipulation, what are gadget arms good for if they don't have whatever tool rhe might want to use with rer's arms? A better mind will kill better than any manipulating arms or facial expressions.

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
The face. Not only would rhe have better facial expressions, but wouldn't rhe be better able to manipulate the cameras that compose rer face as well?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Killall doesn't need a face, rhe just needs an intimidating scream so rer victims know their doom is at hand. And how better to create doom than to use all of the motors to manipulate all of the guns?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
It needs to fine tune it's killing potential. Mind will give the best course of action for it's limbs.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
mind
Rer mind will make him the most competent killing machine.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
power brain.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hands so he can play Operation with the puny humans.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Crush your enemies with the power of your mind.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Hands. We'll do the thinking around here. And maybe the emoting. If we can spare the time.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Hands.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

But after speccing out the power available to you, you can still splurge by adding extra motors in one place. What will it be?

1. Extra degrees of freedom in the face for realistic facial expressions.

2. In Killall's Inspector Gadget arms for fine manipulation.

3. I would prefer to save the power for Killall's mind.

quote:

You decide not to add any more motors to Killall. The extra power could be used to overclock Killall's multicore CPUs instead.

(+++Autonomy)

You suppose you could call Killall…"hotheaded." (Sorry.)

You hold down the power on Killall's back and rhe boots to life again.

"Good morning," you tell Killall.

"Good morning," Killall says, imitating you.

Having completed Killall's initial test run, what will you do now? Now would be a good time to show Killall to Josh, to see whether he's interested in funding rer further development.

1. I should show the robot to Josh.

2. I should fix the little things I noticed during the test before I forget.

3. I should probably get a new phone in case Mom wants to call tonight.

Stats posted:

24-year-old Barry Tezuka
Humanity: 60%

Killall
Autonomy: 7 (In Beta)

Relationships

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
:siren: Art Contest :siren:

Make a drawing of Killall, our wooden, eight-legged, multi-armed, panoptic, biodiesel-engine, three foot tall robot, and post it in this thread by 4 January 2014. The best drawing (as selected by me) will win its artist goon:

(a) a forums upgrade of the goon's choice; or

(b) [requires said goon to have a Steam account] a copy of Choice of Robot and any other two "Choice of" games available on Steam.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 27, 2014

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
There are some times I wish I could draw worth poo poo.

Let's go through with the debugging.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Debugging because we probably cant get away with selling the military on "DLC"

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
New Phone. You never know when and why a mother might call.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
Debugging. Robot more important than other people.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Debug. The robot's got to be perfect if it is going to conquer Alaska.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

quote:

Having completed Killall's initial test run, what will you do now? Now would be a good time to show Killall to Josh, to see whether he's interested in funding rer further development.

1. I should show the robot to Josh.

2. I should fix the little things I noticed during the test before I forget.

3. I should probably get a new phone in case Mom wants to call tonight.

quote:

(-1 Humanity)

You noticed throughout the test that some things were off in the way Killall moved — the distribution of weight wasn't quite what your simulations predicted. The longer Killall has ill-fitting parts, the longer rhe will get used to moving around with them, and the harder it will be for you to change rer body.

You spend the rest of the day fiddling with CAD files, printing replacement parts, and seeing how Killall moves around with them. By the time you're done, you've yet again stayed up very late.

But when Killall crawls, there's now a precision in rer stops and starts. When rhe raises rer Inspector Gadget arms, rhe does so with style. Your attention to the perfection of form has paid off, and you go to sleep happy.

(++Grace)

quote:

The next day, the new semester begins. Though you're past the point of taking classes, you're a teaching assistant, and that means instead of doing one homework assignment, you grade fifty. The students have mostly stopped coming to your office hours, as they apparently can't handle your blunt criticism. You tell them you are only being objective, and they can't correct their behavior without a learning vector in the correct direction, and of the correct magnitude. Is it your fault that the vector is so large? That is usually the point at which they find something else to do, and so much the better.

You're also busy writing a grant proposal for the National Science Foundation, trying to get an alternate source of funding that doesn't involve the military. Grant proposals are very long, it seems, and require you to make a lot of claims about things you don't actually know yet.

Despite your other time commitments, you've managed to sneak in a little time to work on Killall's motor programs.

(+Grace)

You soon realize that, while you're busy, Killall could be learning from the Internet. The most important thing for machine learning is more data, and there's a lot of it out there.

Lately, there have been a lot of custom hard drives on the market that are good at quickly retrieving particular kinds of information.

What sort of hard drive did you order for Killall's long-term memory?

1. A media-enhanced hard drive, good for quickly recalling faces and memories of events.

2. A multiblade hard drive that can efficiently store and query a giant amount of data.

3. An encrypted and tamper-proof hard drive, making it more difficult for Killall to be tampered with or reverse-engineered.

Stats posted:

24-year-old Barry Tezuka
Humanity: 59%

Killall
Autonomy: 7 (In Beta)
Grace: 9 (In Beta)

Relationships

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The encrypted drive.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

No rugged drives that actually work well in a moving robot?
Best is a fast/large drive for all the data.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Encrypted drive.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

An encrypted drive. Creation of consciousness has enough troubles associated with it that we don't want an easily hackable consciousness as well.

Porush
Dec 26, 2012
Encrypted. Nobody wants their robobuddy to get hacked.

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
Multi-Blade large Data drive
Our Robot needs to be able to out think as well as out love murder our enemies.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
Encrypted . Can't let someone turn our killbot on us.

Pompadour Diamond
Mar 21, 2013
Media-enhanced. Our Killbot needs to be able to tell friend from foe.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
2. A multiblade hard drive that can efficiently store and query a giant amount of data.
Slurp ALL the datas!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
The encrypted one not only means our little bot can't be messed with, it's also the only drive that sounds like it'll actually survive being in a constantly moving chassis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiiea
Sep 26, 2013

And here's a goofy-looking Killall.

Also: A multiblade hard drive.

• Locked thread