Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Xotl posted:

I would think it depends on how you frame the question. There's active misogyny, which is "upon careful consideration, I am now taking the active stance that women are worthless", and the more common sort of passive misogyny, which is "of course I don't have anything against women", followed by not really giving them any sort of consideration when it comes time to consider roles and positions in society, etc. The latter is much more common, especially in the 1930s. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the latter, but then again so were most of the people on the planet.

That was basically what I was asking, would it be considered active or passive misogyny. I'm pretty aware of the fact that he does not really include women in his stories or consider them active agents. I just couldn't come up with any instances of him overtly showing disrespect or anger towards women. This is pretty common of writing in that time, and especially of pulp fiction writing, so I guess it doesn't really jump out at me. The racism was lot more obvious so that's what I've been most aware of as far as problematic issues in Lovecraft's writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah, Lovecraft mostly just ignores women in his stories. You don't see the constant, active terror and loathing for them that you do for black people or clam chowder.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I'm not sure I see the point of posthumously shaming white, male authors from the early 1900's because they had opinions that were stupid or don't fall into today's standards of political correctness. Hemingway was a machismo chauvinist. Joyce was a major league perv. Jack London was a xenophobe. Lovecraft was a xenophobe (part of his life, at least). They were all fantastic storytellers, as well as products of the time they lived in.

In other news, gently caress yeah Lovecraft beer :cheers:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Weird tribute to a teetotal author.

Fun fact: Charles Bukowski's main publisher, John Martin, was teetotal.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I guess reading a lot of Bukowski would have that effect on one.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm not sure I see the point of posthumously shaming white, male authors from the early 1900's because they had opinions that were stupid or don't fall into today's standards of political correctness. Hemingway was a machismo chauvinist. Joyce was a major league perv. Jack London was a xenophobe. Lovecraft was a xenophobe (part of his life, at least). They were all fantastic storytellers, as well as products of the time they lived in.

Nah, Lovecraft was way more racist than was justifiable by merely being a product of his time. Dude had panic attacks in mixed-race crowds. There were quite a lot of citizens of New York who didn't have that. Hell, he moved there right in the middle of the Harlem Renaissance, when black culture was becoming a genuinely celebrated part of American society. poo poo, there were older writers from far more racist states who were infinitely less racist than him - look at Mark Twain.

As for why this is relevant, it's because Lovecraft is a massively influential writer who's shaped a great deal of the horror and science-fiction genres. It's important for writers to recognise the racist subtext (and outright text) of so much of his work so they don't keep uncritically recycling it, which is kind of a problem for genre fiction - see also, how fantasy keeps aping its forefathers' phenomenally regressive assumptions, and E. E. 'Doc' Smith's legacy of fascism in space opera.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nuclear Tourist posted:

In other news, gently caress yeah Lovecraft beer :cheers:

There's a pretty big difference between being gross in the bedroom, being racist but somewhat ashamed of it, and writing the poem "On the Creation of Niggers".

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Yeah Lovecraft was Racist As gently caress, and definitely More Racist Than The Average Joe when he was alive, and his racism bears mentioning, but...

I feel like it gets brought up every time his name is mentioned on the forums and it always results in a multi-page derail.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

:words: Racism chat: hmmm... I think this is something that really depends on where and when you look. It's pretty incontrovertible that HPL held some views that were racist (even in his own time) and this coloured his outlook on society, politics and literature. But we also have to consider HPL's racism as essentially fearful conservativism of a semi-recluse who was deeply wedded to an Anglo-Saxon colonial period and concerned about the loss of that history and privilege to immigrants and non-whites. His racism was essentially hostility towards social change. HPL was also very genteel in person and wasn't abusive face-to-face (so "manners" or "cowardice", dependent on how you interpret that). His racism and anti-semitism is also a product of resentment of his poverty and lack of recognition as a writer, which forced him to live the life of a hack rather than a gentleman writer. It is a transference of frustration. Not that this makes his views more acceptable. Contemporaries such as HG Wells actually advocated eugenics as a social platform. I'm not sure HPL ever did that (though feel free to correct me on that!).

What you see depends where you look (the letters are strongly racist when he was writing to receptive correspondents, also some of the stories and poems) - in the journalism much less so. Also it depends when you look. In his middle years his racism was strongest, in his later years he wrote that he regretted his extremism and that he came to take a more moderate political position (possibly due to his travels and his marriage). I don't think HPL ever set forth a racist ideology as logical or pseudo-scientific - which shows that he perhaps didn't think he could justify his views before an educated audience. He became a bit unstuck when during the First World War when he attempted to be both anti-German and pro-Teutonic at the same time. He probably realised that (and his racism) was more of an emotional stance rather than anything he could justify with facts.

I think is possible to be sympathetic to HPL as a person and writer, to respond to his writing (which is at times racist) and yet reject his racism. It is HPL's deep-seated fear of the other (Jew, Black, woman, foreigner, alien) that drives his writing and without that deep compulsion (which also produced his racism) he would never have written anything really fascinating.

So although I don't think it is a case of "the answer is somewhere in the middle", it is more a case of "yes, there is evidence both ways". I don't think that "HPL was more/less racist than you say!" is getting us anywhere.

E: It would be best is we discuss examples of racism and racial fear/theory in the writing rather than using it as a label for the man.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah Lovecraft was Racist As gently caress, and definitely More Racist Than The Average Joe when he was alive, and his racism bears mentioning, but...

I feel like it gets brought up every time his name is mentioned on the forums and it always results in a multi-page derail.

Maybe so, but I sort of feel it's brought up so often because it has to be - genre fiction has a real problem with the unexamined or poorly-examined conventions underpinning it. Kind of like with anime fans and their 'no, it's OK that this show's main love interest is an eleven-year-old in a thong and nipple-pasties, because she's secretly eight hundred years old' bullshit, or the shitstorm the gaming community is currently going through. Nerds can be sheltered as gently caress, and while it may seem obvious that the stuff they're consuming can get pretty dodgy, it's genuine news to many of them that often requires a good dose of hammering in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

:words: Racism chat: hmmm... I think this is something that really depends on where and when you look. It's pretty incontrovertible that HPL held some views that were racist (even in his own time) and this coloured his outlook on society, politics and literature. But we also have to consider HPL's racism as essentially fearful conservativism of a semi-recluse who was deeply wedded to an Anglo-Saxon colonial period and concerned about the loss of that history and privilege to immigrants and non-whites. His racism was essentially hostility towards social change. HPL was also very genteel in person and wasn't abusive face-to-face (so "manners" or "cowardice", dependent on how you interpret that). His racism and anti-semitism is also a product of resentment of his poverty and lack of recognition as a writer, which forced him to live the life of a hack rather than a gentleman writer. It is a transference of frustration. Not that this makes his views more acceptable. Contemporaries such as HG Wells actually advocated eugenics as a social platform. I'm not sure HPL ever did that (though feel free to correct me on that!).

What you see depends where you look (the letters are strongly racist when he was writing to receptive correspondents, also some of the stories and poems) - in the journalism much less so. Also it depends when you look. In his middle years his racism was strongest, in his later years he wrote that he regretted his extremism and that he came to take a more moderate political position (possibly due to his travels and his marriage). I don't think HPL ever set forth a racist ideology as logical or pseudo-scientific - which shows that he perhaps didn't think he could justify his views before an educated audience. He became a bit unstuck when during the First World War when he attempted to be both anti-German and pro-Teutonic at the same time. He probably realised that (and his racism) was more of an emotional stance rather than anything he could justify with facts.

I think is possible to be sympathetic to HPL as a person and writer, to respond to his writing (which is at times racist) and yet reject his racism. It is HPL's deep-seated fear of the other (Jew, Black, woman, foreigner, alien) that drives his writing and without that deep compulsion (which also produced his racism) he would never have written anything really fascinating.

So although I don't think it is a case of "the answer is somewhere in the middle", it is more a case of "yes, there is evidence both ways". I don't think that "HPL was more/less racist than you say!" is getting us anywhere.

E: It would be best is we discuss examples of racism and racial fear/theory in the writing rather than using it as a label for the man.

On eugenics, Lovecraft was definitely a fan - The Shadow over Innsmouth, for instance, is entirely about how miscegnation is loving horrifying, and genetic corruption is a recurring horror theme in his work. The most notorious example, of course, was the payoff to Medusa's Coil:

quote:

In the end I drove on without telling anything. But I did hint that gossip was wronging the poor old planter who had suffered so much. I made it clear—as if from distant but authentic reports wafted among friends—that if anyone was to blame for the trouble at Riverside it was the woman, Marceline. She was not suited to Missouri ways, I said, and it was too bad that Denis had ever married her.

More I did not intimate, for I felt that the de Russys, with their proudly cherished honour and high, sensitive spirits, would not wish me to say more. They had borne enough, God knows, without the countryside guessing what a daemon of the pit—what a gorgon of the elder blasphemies—had come to flaunt their ancient and stainless name.

Nor was it right that the neighbours should know that other horror which my strange host of the night could not bring himself to tell me—that horror which he must have learned, as I learned it, from details in the lost masterpiece of poor Frank Marsh.

It would be too hideous if they knew that the one-time heiress of Riverside—the accursed gorgon or lamia whose hateful crinkly coil of serpent-hair must even now be brooding and twining vampirically around an artist’s skeleton in a lime-packed grave beneath a charred foundation—was faintly, subtly, yet to the eyes of genius unmistakably the scion of Zimbabwe’s most primal grovellers. No wonder she owned a link with that old witch-woman Sophonisba—for, though in deceitfully slight proportion, Marceline was a negress.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Croisquessein posted:

Was Lovecraft misogynistic?

This isn't a particularly useful question because "misogynist" isn't particularly well or consistently defined. You have to decouple both the customs of the time (for example, I wouldn't call a 50's director anti-lgbt because they didn't violate the Hayes Code) and what the creator was using the characters for. Lovecraft tended to write about things that disgusted or frightened him so I'm not sure that a lack of female representation in his works is evidence that he had any hatred of women.

EDIT: To make a point, he was a racist by almost any definition and he tended to include racial commentary where it wasn't even particularly relevant.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The portrayal of women in his stories IS probably proof that he hated his ex-wife and mother, though.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

What the heck, why does this forum have such a hard on for finding scifi/fantasy writers problematic?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Hey is the Iliad misogynistic?

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

The Vosgian Beast posted:

The portrayal of women in his stories IS probably proof that he hated his ex-wife and mother, though.

I forgot about his crazy mother. Though I seem to remember he had a good relationship with his aunts.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Croisquessein posted:

I forgot about his crazy mother. Though I seem to remember he had a good relationship with his aunts.

I don't think hated his mother but just found her difficult to be with and resented the way her mothering had left him. I don't think HPL hated his wife during or after the marriage. The evidence is that they were relatively compatible but that his refusal to take full-time employment and the necessity of her moving for work put the relationship under stress. HPL wasn't really cut out for marriage because of his solitary nature and his attitudes towards money. He also was not ready to adjust to life outside of Providence. I think that if Sonia had had some employment in Providence and that money had been less of a problem that the marriage would have continued.

HPL is more of a gynaephobe than a misogynist.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

What the heck, why does this forum have such a hard on for finding scifi/fantasy writers problematic?

quote:

In the end I drove on without telling anything. But I did hint that gossip was wronging the poor old planter who had suffered so much. I made it clear—as if from distant but authentic reports wafted among friends—that if anyone was to blame for the trouble at Riverside it was the woman, Marceline. She was not suited to Missouri ways, I said, and it was too bad that Denis had ever married her.

More I did not intimate, for I felt that the de Russys, with their proudly cherished honour and high, sensitive spirits, would not wish me to say more. They had borne enough, God knows, without the countryside guessing what a daemon of the pit—what a gorgon of the elder blasphemies—had come to flaunt their ancient and stainless name.

Nor was it right that the neighbours should know that other horror which my strange host of the night could not bring himself to tell me—that horror which he must have learned, as I learned it, from details in the lost masterpiece of poor Frank Marsh.

It would be too hideous if they knew that the one-time heiress of Riverside—the accursed gorgon or lamia whose hateful crinkly coil of serpent-hair must even now be brooding and twining vampirically around an artist’s skeleton in a lime-packed grave beneath a charred foundation—was faintly, subtly, yet to the eyes of genius unmistakably the scion of Zimbabwe’s most primal grovellers. No wonder she owned a link with that old witch-woman Sophonisba—for, though in deceitfully slight proportion, Marceline was a negress.

It's not like we exactly have to go looking for it when Lovecraft's involved.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Stravinsky posted:

I don't know why people who have grown up in a world where racism and sexism are understood to be bad would want to disassociate themselves from it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think it's more about the issue constantly coming up. We get it, HPL was racist. As long as you're aware of it, it shouldn't interfere in your enjoyment of his work and there's definitely no need to bring it up on every page.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Norman Spinrad: horrible Social Justice Warrior.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

As long as you're aware of it, it shouldn't interfere in your enjoyment of his work.

You are aware that there are people who find racism in their sci-fi horror unpleasant and distracting, right? Not everyone can go 'oh, that silly Lovecraft, look at him call black people subhuman like it ain't no thing'. It's legit to criticise an author for their literary flaws or say your enjoyment was diminished because of those literary flaws, and Lovecraft's racism, along with his sometimes torturously florid prose, is one of his biggest and most criticised flaws as a writer. It's like doing a Dan Brown thread where you're not allowed to bring up his constant, hilarious research errors.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
This entire thread will only ever contain racism posts, so might as well just rename it and get it over with.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

You are aware that there are people who find racism in their sci-fi horror unpleasant and distracting, right? Not everyone can go 'oh, that silly Lovecraft, look at him call black people subhuman like it ain't no thing'. It's legit to criticise an author for their literary flaws or say your enjoyment was diminished because of those literary flaws, and Lovecraft's racism, along with his sometimes torturously florid prose, is one of his biggest and most criticised flaws as a writer. It's like doing a Dan Brown thread where you're not allowed to bring up his constant, hilarious research errors.

The problem is that nobody's asking interesting questions. It's all "is Lovecraft racist?" and it's a bit like asking "it seems like these southern landowners in the 1850's were practicing slavery?" There are a lot of interesting things to talk about with Lovecraft's racism like how you teach it, how you adapt his works for a modern audience, that sort of thing. "Does this go in the racism/misogyny/whatever bucket?" is rarely interesting, it honestly seems like the question tends to be used as a shibboleth rather than being a real point of discussion.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Guys, I think we've found some common ground:
A) Racism is bad.
B) HPL expressed racist views in some of his writing.
C) Racism in HPL's stories can be offputting.
Lots of us here don't need this pointed out.

From now on :siren: any discussion of racism/sexism should be associated only with specific instances in HPL's writing and you should have something interesting to say about it. :siren:

From now on all low-content "He wasn't so racist!"/ "He was such a racist!" posts will be reported. And if it continues I will close this thread.

Pioneer42 posted:

This entire thread will only ever contain racism posts, so might as well just rename it and get it over with.

I fear you may be right.... :(

E: This is going in the OP

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 18, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It is certainly interesting, at least, to look at how you handle Lovecraft's unique and enthralling cosmic-horror 'we are alone and insignificant in a universe filled with ghastly, hungry monsters' atmosphere without bringing along the racial baggage of those ghastly, hungry monsters mostly being stand-ins for black people (and occasionally the Chinese). Certainly, the 'sinister alien heritage stuff' gets really uncomfortable when you remember what it was originally a metaphor for. I thought The Colour Out of Space actually did a half-decent job of that, mind you - it helped that the alien was just so alien that it wasn't an obvious stand-in for Creepy Howie's particular phobias, and was treated with a certain solemn respect rather than just gut-churning terror.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

It is certainly interesting, at least, to look at how you handle Lovecraft's unique and enthralling cosmic-horror 'we are alone and insignificant in a universe filled with ghastly, hungry monsters' atmosphere without bringing along the racial baggage of those ghastly, hungry monsters mostly being stand-ins for black people (and occasionally the Chinese). Certainly, the 'sinister alien heritage stuff' gets really uncomfortable when you remember what it was originally a metaphor for. I thought The Colour Out of Space actually did a half-decent job of that, mind you - it helped that the alien was just so alien that it wasn't an obvious stand-in for Creepy Howie's particular phobias, and was treated with a certain solemn respect rather than just gut-churning terror.

Right, but one of the unique things about Lovecraft is that his fears and insecurities allowed him to tap into some common, very human insecurities. Take The Shadow Over Innsmouth. If you follow Lovecraft at all it's very obvious that the story can be summarized as "miscegenation is bad mmk" but it's possible to reject the racist aspects and still enjoy the story as a great piece of atmospheric horror that flirts with the idea of hidden monsters living among us. Modern audiences won't tend to make the leap between fish people and black people, which removes a lot of the aspects of the stories that have a possibility of creating real problems.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

Right, but one of the unique things about Lovecraft is that his fears and insecurities allowed him to tap into some common, very human insecurities. Take The Shadow Over Innsmouth. If you follow Lovecraft at all it's very obvious that the story can be summarized as "miscegenation is bad mmk" but it's possible to reject the racist aspects and still enjoy the story as a great piece of atmospheric horror that flirts with the idea of hidden monsters living among us. Modern audiences won't tend to make the leap between fish people and black people, which removes a lot of the aspects of the stories that have a possibility of creating real problems.

You do sort of have to examine why 'hidden monsters living among us' is scary, though. Most of how Lovecraft articulated it in TSOI was 'they're ugly, have weird customs, and are perverting our noble Aryan culture and bloodline', which doesn't really shift far from the racist subtext. With, say, vampires, it's a problem because they're serial killers, and they've been used for every sort of symbolism out there, from a cruel, decadent aristocracy through rampaging drug addicts to manifestations of rape culture or predatory homosexuality. 'Monsters among us' isn't really enough - for horror to be scary, it has to tap into particular social and personal anxieties, and if the social anxiety you're playing to is sufficiently unpleasant/bigoted, like with evil lesbian vampire stories or Lovecraft's hysterical anti-miscegnation tracts, then you deserve to be called out for the kind of poo poo you're trying to stir.

Deep One civil rights movement, represent.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I always liked Lovecraft's less horrific writings better. Stuff like The Strange High House in the Mist or The Silver Key. There's a pervasive sense of wonder and admiration in them that a lot of people overlook in favor of his better-known stories. I don't think the idea that "humanity is scum in an uncaring reality" is universal to his works at all: it's a melodramatic statement made by characters who are overwhelmed by something beyond their control. Curiosity about mysterious things is a beautiful thing in his lighter writings, and it's made more beautiful by the dangers that could lurk in the shadows. Plus his authorial voice is a lot less abrasive and hateful when he's writing about things he actually likes.

A lot his horror stories start with really dry musings about poo poo like New England architecture and I just don't like slogging through that. Half of Call of Cthulhu is just investigating a statue, half of The Shunned House is a family tree, etc. And frankly it's permeated nerd culture so far that the horror that is there has become cliche.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bendigeidfran posted:

I always liked Lovecraft's less horrific writings better. Stuff like The Strange High House in the Mist or The Silver Key. There's a pervasive sense of wonder and admiration in them that a lot of people overlook in favor of his better-known stories. I don't think the idea that "humanity is scum in an uncaring reality" is universal to his works at all: it's a melodramatic statement made by characters who are overwhelmed by something beyond their control. Curiosity about mysterious things is a beautiful thing in his lighter writings, and it's made more beautiful by the dangers that could lurk in the shadows. Plus his authorial voice is a lot less abrasive and hateful when he's writing about things he actually likes.

A lot his horror stories start with really dry musings about poo poo like New England architecture and I just don't like slogging through that. Half of Call of Cthulhu is just investigating a statue, half of The Shunned House is a family tree, etc. And frankly it's permeated nerd culture so far that the horror that is there has become cliche.

True, the sense-of-wonder stories are a definite plus in his work. I wouldn't peg the architecturechat as particular to his horror works, though - it was something he really loved and was interested in, and gets outright pornographic at times. It's a big part of how he liked to stimulate his sense of wonder. In fact, there's a fair few critics who've suspected that's why you don't see much about women in his work - who needs human females when you have sexy New England wood panelling?

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

HPL was a polymath autodidact - which can go for and against a person. Means they are very knowledgable about a subject but can overlook basic aspects and concepts that get taught to people who study conventionally. It also means they can hold weird, cranky views on topics without encountering opposition. They can also be super touchy about having their expertise questioned. It's something like a prototype of the nerd culture - someone who can sperg like a champion but misses some essential aspects of appreciation, can't see the bigger picture and can't view a subject with distance.

I don't think HPL was exactly like that, though you do see traces of it. HPL actually had a deep understanding of many subjects. You can learn a fair bit about certain subjects from him but unfortunately - as anyone who has worked on a dissertation on an academic subject will tell you - about 1/2 to 3/4 of science and history established as fact in 1920 has now been proved wrong. That's no reason for any of us to feel superior - people will be shaking their heads over our conventional wisdom 100 years from now.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

HPL was a polymath autodidact - which can go for and against a person. Means they are very knowledgable about a subject but can overlook basic aspects and concepts that get taught to people who study conventionally. It also means they can hold weird, cranky views on topics without encountering opposition. They can also be super touchy about having their expertise questioned. It's something like a prototype of the nerd culture - someone who can sperg like a champion but misses some essential aspects of appreciation, can't see the bigger picture and can't view a subject with distance.

I don't think HPL was exactly like that, though you do see traces of it. HPL actually had a deep understanding of many subjects. You can learn a fair bit about certain subjects from him but unfortunately - as anyone who has worked on a dissertation on an academic subject will tell you - about 1/2 to 3/4 of science and history established as fact in 1920 has now been proved wrong. That's no reason for any of us to feel superior - people will be shaking their heads over our conventional wisdom 100 years from now.

The "proto-nerd" idea is also helped by H.P.L being pretty awful at writing characters and dialogue. Of all the people he's written only Randolph Carter really stands out to me; I can't even remember the Cthulhu or Innsmouth guy's names without looking them up. AFAIK he was pretty sheltered for a lot of his life and learned a bunch of lovely worldviews from his aunts. That messes with a person.

A lot of misanthropic attitudes you see in his writing are probably much more a product of his sheltered-ness than it is of "his times". Because authors like, say, Tolstoy grew up in a time with no shortage of lovely attitudes about race/class but he's chill about those things because he was an outgoing guy who'd traveled to a lot of foreign cultures. You can even see it as far back as Herodotus, who was incredibly open to new ideas because he went around the Mediterranean calming asking people about their history.

I've read somewhere that Howie got better about his assorted issues later in life, which is good if it's true. He probably held onto some damaging attitudes (i.e eugenics, which was accepted all the way until WWII) but you really can't underestimate the difference between that and the sheer hatred that he communicates in a lot of his work. It's honestly overwhelming and if you told me that he wrote them in a schizophrenic episode a la Phillip K. Dick I would not be surprised.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Another thing to remember is that by the time he began to relax in terms of personal and social (and political) attitudes he had almost stopped writing fiction. So those changed attitudes don't make it into the stories. Also, to be honest, there isn't much impetus to put in inclusive, progressive and positive views into a horror story. (At least, these are not views that really adapt well to horror story tropes, especially the ones that HPL adhered to or invented.) So the slowing of his production then dealing with cancer meant that there wasn't much chance to see HPL's intellectual development in his fiction over his last years. I don't know his letters well enough to speak on that aspect.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Another thing to remember is that by the time he began to relax in terms of personal and social (and political) attitudes he had almost stopped writing fiction. So those changed attitudes don't make it into the stories. Also, to be honest, there isn't much impetus to put in inclusive, progressive and positive views into a horror story. (At least, these are not views that really adapt well to horror story tropes, especially the ones that HPL adhered to or invented.) So the slowing of his production then dealing with cancer meant that there wasn't much chance to see HPL's intellectual development in his fiction over his last years. I don't know his letters well enough to speak on that aspect.

I'd disagree. Progressive horror writers have stuff they're scared of and want the audience to be scared of too (see China Mieville's work, for example), and personal (as opposed to social) fears like psychological/body horror are rich and mostly apolitical fields.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Darth Walrus posted:

I'd disagree. Progressive horror writers have stuff they're scared of and want the audience to be scared of too (see China Mieville's work, for example), and personal (as opposed to social) fears like psychological/body horror are rich and mostly apolitical fields.

I'd even say that the root of horror is vulnerability, which you don't normally associate with wealthy stoic Aryan scientists. You can mine a tremendous amount of fear from, say, a monster that acts like an abusive partner or the constant threat of starvation and social ostracization. Folk-tale monsters themselves probably emerged from the abject terror and poverty of pre-modern life. And something like Carrie or pregnancy-related horror can easily open itself to a progressive themes.

Science-Fiction horror was, I think, largely an attempt to bring the fear of nature to a well-lit rationalist universe. The kind of fear that would affect an armchair-bound, Cambridge-educated gentleman who has nothing to fear from anything else. But I don't think we can say that represents all horror.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bendigeidfran posted:

I'd even say that the root of horror is vulnerability, which you don't normally associate with wealthy stoic Aryan scientists. You can mine a tremendous amount of fear from, say, a monster that acts like an abusive partner or the constant threat of starvation and social ostracization. Folk-tale monsters themselves probably emerged from the abject terror and poverty of pre-modern life. And something like Carrie or pregnancy-related horror can easily open itself to a progressive themes.

Science-Fiction horror was, I think, largely an attempt to bring the fear of nature to a well-lit rationalist universe. The kind of fear that would affect an armchair-bound, Cambridge-educated gentleman who has nothing to fear from anything else. But I don't think we can say that represents all horror.

And, well, vampires, like I mentioned earlier. Literal blood-sucking aristocrats who treat the lower classes like cattle. Even the fact that they don't tend to get much sunlight fits, if you remember where the term 'blueblood' comes from.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
So what do y'all think of A Shoggoth on the Roof? It's one of the more...interesting things the modern Lovecraft fandom has made. I have a soft spot for how goofy and surprisingly well-sung the H.P.L Historical Society version is, but I can see how it could be annoying.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NovemberMike posted:

The problem is that nobody's asking interesting questions. It's all "is Lovecraft racist?" and it's a bit like asking "it seems like these southern landowners in the 1850's were practicing slavery?" There are a lot of interesting things to talk about with Lovecraft's racism like how you teach it, how you adapt his works for a modern audience, that sort of thing. "Does this go in the racism/misogyny/whatever bucket?" is rarely interesting, it honestly seems like the question tends to be used as a shibboleth rather than being a real point of discussion.

[mod mode: on]

Yeah, this makes sense as an approach at least for now (if things turn sour in here I might change my mind). That's basically the approach I've taken in the Tolkien thread: low-content "orcs are black people and dwarves are jews, :dealwithit:" is just dumb and doesn't facilitate discussion; if you have something to say about Lovecraft and race make it interesting. I think we can just take Lovecraft's racism as a given at this point and just ask that everyone say something interesting about it. For what it's worth, I do consider "Hey, Lovecraft is really racist. What does that mean for a modern reader? Should people still read Lovecraft at all? Why?" perfectly valid and interesting topics, and I don't see anything so far in this thread that I'd classify as pure poo poo-and-run low-content trolling of the sort I'd want to do anything about.

This is something I hope I can take a very, very, very lighthanded approach to enforcing -- I really, really, *really* don't want to have to start policing this thread for appropriate and inappropriate types of racism discussion or some poo poo. After all, dude *was* a horrible racist, it *did* impact his writing, and discussing that is an essential part of discussing Lovecraft. There's a reason they're considering taking him off the World Fantasy Award, and for the record I pretty much agree that they should. On the other hand, I am literally wearing a Miskatonic University T-Shirt at this very moment, and after a certain point the simple racism discussion (like most others) can get worn out and it's time to move on to more complex discussions.

So far this thread's been handling this issue pretty well which I'm very happy about -- I considered not saying anything at all from Mount Moderator Hat and just letting everyone keep keeping on like you have been so far but I figured it was an elephant in the room and I needed to say something, at least if I wanted to participate in the thread generally, which I do!

If anyone wants to talk to me about this or thinks we should take a different approach or thinks the thread should just be closed or w/e please send me a PM -- don't want the thread to derail into moderatorchat.

[mod mode: off]

Bendigeidfran posted:

So what do y'all think of A Shoggoth on the Roof? It's one of the more...interesting things the modern Lovecraft fandom has made. I have a soft spot for how goofy and surprisingly well-sung the H.P.L Historical Society version is, but I can see how it could be annoying.

Hahah, Christ, I'll have to give this a listen. Lovecraft fandom & mythos stuff occupies a weird place for me. Sometimes it's really great (c.f. Gaiman's Study in Emerald) and sometimes it's hilarious and sometimes it's just baaaad. Most of the time I find that the Derleth-derived stuff reads more like an AD&D sourcebook than anything else.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 21, 2015

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Regarding HA's posting above, I agree.

Back to HPL....Recklessly I bought all 5 volumes of HPL’s Collected Essays, so you can get first-hand reviews of them. (Which will be added to the OP.)

Volume 1: Amateur Journalism

Do you want to read HPL delivering sick :iceburn: by way of Latin epigram? :hist101: Do you want to read HPL correcting the grammar of a poem you will never read? :monocle: Do you want to read HPL’s mini-biographies of fellow amateur writers, especially ones who have not seen print in the last 100 years? Do you want to read HPL’s report on his organisation’s rummage sale? Do you want to read HPL’s solicitations for contributions to the amateur association’s journal? Do you want to read HPL’s petty put-downs of forgotten writers? Do you want over 400 pages of that?

If you answered “yes” to any of those questions then – apart from revealing yourself as a fanboy – you’ll find this is the book for you. HPL was a prolific contributor to amateur journals and was an official in one of the associations. This collects most of HPL’s criticism of amateur writing – so not even comments on Poe, Dunsany, etc. Lot of this is official business and notices and discussions of association matters. Unless you are an HPL completist or writing a paper on amateur journalism in the 1910-1920s then there’s no reason for you to even look at this book. This volume is one of the most tedious books I’ve ever read. It is hugely tiresome.

Oh, hope you brought a spare set of eyeballs with you, because you’ll need them. This book (like all in the set) is printed in 8pt. type. Yes, approx. 1,500 pages of type so small your eyes will bleed.
It can’t be as dull as all that? Well, yes it can but…there are some nice parts. HPL reviews his wife’s journal and announces their marriage. He writes a handful of short articles which are approachable and insightful about the value and drawbacks of the amateur journalism movement (essentially printed blogs – amateurs writing and printing their poems, stories, comic sketches and political ideas in print runs of 12s or low 100s, mainly to be read by friends and fellow writers). There is brief piece on the Irish Question (HPL pro-Brit, anti-Irish). There is one obituary that relates slightly to the Dunwich Horror and nothing else related to HPL’s fiction in the whole book….. The footnotes are useful….. Erm…..

Verdict: Crushingly dull

Lovecraftian appeal: 0/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
Any of y'all who like Lovecraft should read Algernon Blackwood's The Willows, if you haven't already. Lovecraft called it the finest weird horror story ever written, and its influence on him is obvious. It's awesome.

Blackwood and Lovecraft are fun to contrast. Blackwood was an outdoorsman, a firm optimistic, and an honest-to-god member of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn; Lovecraft was a neurotic atheist shut-in. THat optimism bleeds heavily into his fiction - he flirts with Lovecraft's cosmic nihilism, but generally swerves shy of it.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 25, 2015

• Locked thread