Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Crashbee posted:

Too late for you, but if anyone else wants The Willows it's out of copyright so free to download from Project Gutenberg.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/11438

Yeah, I saw that as well, but I am retarded insofar as getting gutenberg stuff onto my device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

But mostly that the narrator was too stupid to figure out he was talking to a wax mask after being told it was a thing they specifically planned on doing, that what drove me nuts. How obvious the whole thing was a set up. How obvious the driver was the voice on the recording, a voice he had listened to over and over again for months.

It isn't a wax mask, it's the guy's real face. And maybe the concept of aliens is still so incredible to the narrator that he doesn't even think it's not the real guy. But yeah, he was pretty stupid. I liked that the narrator is freaked out simply by knowing aliens exist.

Anyone else see the HPLHS movie version? I was really disappointed. It removes most of the creepiness and adds action sequences. The interminable postal correspondence could have been shortened, but it did build up dread. However, it seems like the movie is trying to get through that part as quickly as possible to get the narrator up to the house.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Does anyone who has read the biographies recently remember why HPL wrote so little in his last few years? I know he was sick for about the last 6 months but the last short story was in 1935. Does anyone know what reasons were suggested for his dry spell for almost 2 years at the end?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

Kindled this for .99c. On my every growing list.

Read it in 2 sittings. Was pretty underwhelmed by it. If it was at all disturbing or frightening, it was completely eclipsed by how annoying the main character/narrator is.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Does anyone who has read the biographies recently remember why HPL wrote so little in his last few years? I know he was sick for about the last 6 months but the last short story was in 1935. Does anyone know what reasons were suggested for his dry spell for almost 2 years at the end?

The only explanation I could give here would be his seemingly unending pride and his refusal to do low-level work. In his last years he was poor and he always refused to sell his texts to publishing houses or magazines he considered as cheap and unworthy. Additonally he wasn't ever really satisfied with himself and always wanted to do good work he could be proud of. His tendency to critize his own words harder than anyone else ever did surely had something to do with this.
I wouldn't be too surprised if he considered his poor life situation in the end to be not a good background for writing "worthy" stories either, but that's just an assumption.

Goons Are Gifts fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 2, 2015

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I read something suggesting that he had basically reached the limits of his ideas and couldn't work out how to go around them. So he didn't have any good ideas, basically.

Ever wondered what HPL's favourite words were, btw? Wonder no more: http://arkhamarchivist.com/wordcount-lovecraft-favorite-words/

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

House Louse posted:

I read something suggesting that he had basically reached the limits of his ideas and couldn't work out how to go around them. So he didn't have any good ideas, basically.

Ever wondered what HPL's favourite words were, btw? Wonder no more: http://arkhamarchivist.com/wordcount-lovecraft-favorite-words/

And from most used to least if anyone's interested:
Hideous 260
Faint (ed/ing) 189
Nameless 157
Antiqu (e/arian) 128
Madness 115
Singular (ly) 115
Abnormal 94
Blasphem (y/ous) 92
Accursed 76
Loath (ing/some) 71
Furtive 60
Spectral 60
Stench 59
Daemoniac 55
Fungus/Fungoid/Fungous 54
Shunned 54
Proportion/Disproportionate 53
Cyclopean 47
Cat 46
Manuscript 35
Noisome 33
Decadent 32
Tentacle(s) 28
Mortal 27
Immemorial 25
Indescribable 25
Eldritch 23
Foetid 22
Unnamable 22
Gambrel 21
Charnel 20
Amorphous 19
Dank 19
Unmentionable 16
Lurk 15
Swarthy 14
Unutterable 13
Antediluvian 10
Gibber (ed/ing) 10
Comprehension 9
Gibbous 9
Tenebrous 9
Stygian 6
Effulgence 4
Ululat (e/ing) 4
Iridescence 2
Non-Euclidean 2
Squamous 1

e: "swarthy" lol

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Aug 11, 2015

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ornamented Death posted:

As there was some discussion on Lovecraft's attitude towards women in the recent past, I figure now's as good a time as any to post this.

Dark Regions Press has started an IndieGoGo campaign for Dreams from the Witch House: Female Voices of Lovecraftian Horror. DRP anthologies have always been top-notch (in terms of both contents and construction) in my experience, so I expect this will be a great read.

They made their goal and you can pre-order the book now. All female authors, all the stories with prominent female characters. Should be awesome!

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Dienes posted:

They made their goal and you can pre-order the book now. All female authors, all the stories with prominent female characters. Should be awesome!

Hang on, is that the same book? None of the authors in the kickstarter are in it.

Also, I knew Joyce Carol Oates was a fan but did she really write a Lovecraftian horror story? I'd be all over that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Dienes posted:

That's a different book.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ornamented Death posted:

That's a different book.

Oh poo poo, more to read, then.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Me and my wife love DS9 so we're going to watch every single Jeffery Combs lovecraft movie. There's like 5 or 6 of them. Wish us luck.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
Ibid is pretty funny. Did Lovecraft write any other satire like that?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunterhr posted:

'The Unnameable' is a good-natured send-up of his own style of writing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hunterhr posted:

"Herbert West - Reanimator" is a parody of Frankenstein, but it's pretty weak. The main problem is the structure: the story was serialized, so each chapter ends with a cliff-hanger and begins with a recap of the previous chapter. Lovecraft wasn't used to using those devices, and he doesn't do it well. There's some fun ideas, though. Just watch the movie Re-Animator instead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

'The Unnameable' is a good-natured send-up of his own style of writing.

There's also the Hound, which incidentally contains the first mention of the Necronomicon.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Alhazred posted:

There's also the Hound, which incidentally contains the first mention of the Necronomicon.

Not to mention his funniest "horrific" italics:

quote:

We only realized, with the blackest of apprehensions, that the apparently disembodied chatter was beyond a doubt in the Dutch language.
The Dutch language!:supaburn:

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Pththya-lyi posted:

The Dutch language!:supaburn:

No good can come of the Dutch language.... :pipe:

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with copyright currently? For the uninitiated, the situation was that HPL work published during his lifetime were due to leave copyright in the 1990s? 2000s? but Arkham House was claiming it had renewed copyright so that everything was still copyrighted. Previously unpublished work stays copyrighted by the first publisher for a period, so the letters are all still copyrighted. Has the copyright situation been clarified or is it still a mess?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

No good can come of the Dutch language.... :pipe:

Can anyone tell me what the situation is with copyright currently? For the uninitiated, the situation was that HPL work published during his lifetime were due to leave copyright in the 1990s? 2000s? but Arkham House was claiming it had renewed copyright so that everything was still copyrighted. Previously unpublished work stays copyrighted by the first publisher for a period, so the letters are all still copyrighted. Has the copyright situation been clarified or is it still a mess?

I'd say it's pretty clear there all PD, based on the term for both unpublished work and registration and renewal requirements.

Joshi claims that as of 2008 everything is in the public domain (using Life+70). Truthfully I think most were already PD due to the fact that the Copyright Act of 1909, under which all of HPL's published works are governed, was very anal about registration and renewal requirements, which most genre magazines wouldn't spend the money to do (and incidentally Roger Corman wouldn't either).

This chart can give you a brief idea of the various potential dates and how unpublished works can work (and regular works too).
https://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

Type of Work
Copyright Term
What was in the public domain in the U.S. as of 1 January 20153
Unpublished works
Life of the author + 70 years
Works from authors who died before 1945
Unpublished anonymous and pseudonymous works, and works made for hire (corporate authorship)
120 years from date of creation
Works created before 1895
Unpublished works when the death date of the author is not known4
120 years from date of creation5
Works created before 18955

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015
I've been going back the last few months and reading the things before Lovecraft, like A. Machen and R. Chambers. Anyone else read "The Hill of Dreams" or "The King in Yellow"?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

I've been going back the last few months and reading the things before Lovecraft, like A. Machen and R. Chambers. Anyone else read "The Hill of Dreams" or "The King in Yellow"?

"The Hill of Dreams" is pure poetry. Read "A Fragment of Life", if you can find it and "The Three Impostors" or "The Great God Pan" if you want to get back to proper horror.

On the subject of "The Three Impostors", I've always suspected that the Novel of the White Powder was Stephen King's inspiration for the short story "Gray Matter", in Graveyard Shift. Anybody else think that?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
While we're on Arthur Machen, have an extract from John Betjemann's 'Summoned by Bells':

"With Arthur Machen’s “Secret Glory” stuffed
Into my blazer pocket, up the hill
On to St. Merryn, down to Padstow Quay
In time for the last ferry back to Rock,
I bicycled — and found Trebetherick
A worldly contrast with my afternoon.

I would not care to read that book again.
It so exactly mingled with the mood
Of those impressionable years, that now
I might be disillusioned. There were laughs
At public schools, at chapel services,
At masters who were still ‘big boys at heart’—
While all the time the author’s hero knew
A Secret Glory in the hills of Wales:
Caverns of light revealed the Holy Grail
Exhaling gold upon the mountain-tops;
At “Holy! Holy! Holy!” in the Mass
King Brychan’s sainted children crowded round,
And past and present were enwrapped in one."

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Chain_of_Dogs posted:

The Repairer of Reputations is my favorite story in the King in Yellow book. Something about it works better for me than the more fantastic shorts.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Germane to the HPL and Racism topic, I'm working out some ideas for a cosmic horror-themed group of fantasy stories, and I've tripped over a few land mines like the Tcho-tcho and the miscegenation issues with the Deep Ones already. Most of the time, you can keep the cool aspects and jettison the problematic baggage (or at least replace it with your OWN problematic baggage), but what else should I look out for?

For the record, I'm not directly referencing the Mythos, or even trying to sand off the serial numbers. I'm trying to take the stuff that scares me about cosmic horror and look at through a different contextual lens.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Peztopiary posted:

The Repairer of Reputations is my favorite story in the King in Yellow book. Something about it works better for me than the more fantastic shorts.

I thought that was an excellent story as well.

Pistol_Pete posted:

"The Hill of Dreams" is pure poetry. Read "A Fragment of Life", if you can find it and "The Three Impostors" or "The Great God Pan" if you want to get back to proper horror.

I've read A Fragment of Life and The Great God Pan, those were great.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

navyjack posted:

Germane to the HPL and Racism topic, I'm working out some ideas for a cosmic horror-themed group of fantasy stories, and I've tripped over a few land mines like the Tcho-tcho and the miscegenation issues with the Deep Ones already. Most of the time, you can keep the cool aspects and jettison the problematic baggage (or at least replace it with your OWN problematic baggage), but what else should I look out for?

For the record, I'm not directly referencing the Mythos, or even trying to sand off the serial numbers. I'm trying to take the stuff that scares me about cosmic horror and look at through a different contextual lens.

Focus on environmental catastrophe and the possibility of western progressive politics imploding under the pressure of resource depletion. Write monsters and evil humans as fascists, white supremacists and other modern day bads. Work out what you are your audience value and under what circumstances those values might be destroyed. Personify that threat in supernatural, alien evil.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You're doing yourself a disservice if you equate fascism with cosmic horror, I think. It romanticizes human evil and narrows the scope of the unknown to things we've already done to each other.

If you want to address both those subjects at the same time, maybe write about a fascist state that leverages fear of the cosmic and projects human wickedness onto them ("they want to drive us mad, eat our children, enslave our whole world!") when in fact they really are just incomprehensible. Basically an Indiana Jones story but more firmly in the realm of horror.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Or go for pitch black comedy and have an Eichmann-esque character who encounters the Great Old Ones and is completely unphased because he doesn't have the imagination or the moral capacity to understand why they're horrifying.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

navyjack posted:

The big issue, the thing which keeps Lovecraft's bigotry eternally relevant, is that his works are largely structured around a rejection of the alien, the strange, the unusual. This isn't endemic to cosmic horror, and stories like The Shadow Over Innsmouth and At The Mountains of Madness go beyond total rejection. But it is a big issue.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or go for pitch black comedy and have an Eichmann-esque character who encounters the Great Old Ones and is completely unphased because he doesn't have the imagination or the moral capacity to understand why they're horrifying.

Haha.

Chain_of_Dogs
Aug 24, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Eichmann in R'lyeh, On the Banality of Cosmic Horror

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Hmm, yes, these eldritch entities seem like characters I can do business with: I shall ally them to my Cause!"

*Throughout the story, gradually transmogrifies into a hideous meat puppet of forces lurking a shadow's width away, an ever-diminishing spark of his consciousness shrieking in horror as he experiences an excruciating and indescribable fate far, far worse than death*

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Personally, I think it's a little more interestingly freaky when people's attempts to harness eldritch horrors for their nefarious ends actually work. I mean, one of the principles of Lovecraftian cosmic horror is that the big scary monsters often don't care about us, and the violence they inflict is nothing more than an elephant crushing an ant's nest in its sleep. Now imagine all that bizarre, horrific power with a human's intelligence, malice, and petty-mindedness. Forget Hitler and company getting eaten by Cthulhu - what if their mad ideas had actually borne fruit? Imagine an immortal Fuhrer, shrunken and pallid, gnawing on the bones of the dead as his shoggoth legions roll across Asia, sweeping away the lesser races and leaving nothing but an empty, glassy plain in their wake. Imagine the Eternal Man of Steel, the slave-drones of Russia networked together under his unbreakable will as he turns his two hundred million eyes to the stars beyond. Imagine the Tennou expressing his divinity to the Chinese and Korean barbarians with an army of slavering youkai, as the Tokko scoop out the impure thoughts of the worker caste and hang them on display in Tokyo's public gardens, dripping shreds of brain-matter still attached, as a warning to others.

Horror, both real and fictional, derives from the human imagination. It's a powerful tool to use.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

navyjack posted:

If by "things to look out for" you mean problematic or otherwise distasteful elements, one thing you may want to watch out for is the relationship between different communities and forbidden knowledge. Now obviously most (all?) of HPL's protagonists or "good guys" are white academics and intellectuals, and their academically rigorous and systematized knowledge grants them the ability to understand the Old Ones, their history, and their relationship to our world. Now paradoxically, there are plenty of peoples who start off with a greater knowledge of the Old Ones, but these are people who are uneducated and uncivilized: South Seas islanders, the white rural poor, "mulattoes" in Lousiana, etc. They know about the Old Ones (or whatever) before the academic protagonists, have some sort of relationship with them, etc. But their knowledge 1. isn't academic or systematic - it's passed down orally, they don't have the ability to see the "big picture," and 2. is used to aide the Old Ones for evil or self-centered ends, whereas the white academic protagonists are able to put the pieces together, mash the folktales and superstition together into a big picture, and come to the conclusion that these alien god dudes are harmful and need to be opposed.

In several stories, it is this academic research and piecing together of knowledge that enables the protagonists to avert the threat posed by the old ones, triumphing (at least temporarily) over the unlettered "savages": CoC, the Dunwich Horror, Shadow over Innsmouth, and etc. This in spite of the fact that HPL warns us such piecing together knowledge will drive us into a new "dark age." It comes down to the trope that the poor, the non-western, etc., can't know things as well as the educated white guys, and therefore are dangerous.

So. What does this mean for you? Be aware of who is able to use knowledge better. Maybe a bunch of professors or scientists aren't able to do some research and discover more about what's going on with the Old Ones (or whatever) than the people that have been aware them for generations. Maybe the poor, the illiterate, or the non-western actually have a greater breadth and depth of knowledge than the guys from Miskatonic U., and the professionals are the ones who react with superstition and worship. Say, for instance, a researcher discovers some Force from Out There, and decides whatever it is, we'd better keep it happy, while the protagonists are "superstitious" people who are the ones that say "oh poo poo" and have to rely on their folklore and superstitions to find a way to stop him. Maybe the piecing together of knowledge is fundamentally impossible, and attempting it does make things worse.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Yeah, another theme that is very strong is very much the 19th century elightenment ideals of rigorous academic thinking, analysis and an elevation of written records over oral ones. Nearly always the academic hero pieces things together from 'hidden lore' and the direct writing of other truth seekers. The oral histories are painted as inaccessible, supersitious and generally barbaric. The idea of turning that on its head is interesting. The dry academic analysis gives you some room for exploring the 'detached' scientist who doesn't grasp the horror of what they're encountering because they reject the emotional side of the lore. The 'Dark Gods' is supersitious mumbo-jumbo attached to alien intellects by peoples who were, unavoidably, ignorant of the nature of the cosmos. They're not evil they're simply other and it should be possible to utilise them, understand their motivations and work together. The players could be helped in this by some more traditional order who have a strong oral tradition that, it turns out, the superstitious mythological sounding parts of are actually true.

It gives the possible set up of the players starting out being assisted by the scientist, who is investigating deaths of his colleagues caused by some mystical order (maybe similiar to the original Assassins or something) and the players can slowly come to realise that they are in fact working with someone who doesn't understand what they're doing and is endangering all humanity.

It's a basic scientist playing god type trope, that does have the danger of being anti-intellectual but it gives you the opportunity to turn the 'indigenous, supersitious worshippers of the Old Ones battling upstanding white men of Englightenment rationality' part of Lovecraft on its head.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So I read Crooked, by Austin Grossman. I think I saw it recommended here. It's the book ostensibly about Nixon fighting eldritch horrors. The first half was pretty good, but I kept hoping for more stuff to be explained and it just never panned out. Story fell pretty flat after that first half. I might have liked it more if I was more familiar with Nixon himself, maybe, since I only know the basics. The only part I really enjoyed was Nixon himself as the self loathing underdog main character.

Overall I couldn't really recommend it. I've seen similarities drawn between it and Stross's A Colder War for obvious reasons, but (spoilers for both) A Colder War drops neat little hints and references to the Lovecraft mythos and actually follows up on them with eldritch apocalypse awesomeness. Crooked blueballs you, nothing is ever explained satisfactorily, nothing exciting ever really happens and overall it feels like there's no point.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's more of a take on the history than the magical angle. The whole twist it puts on Watergate is interesting but ultimately there's just not much to see there.
It's got ideas but never really realizes them; whoever was it here that compared it to Declare was way, way off.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I agree about Crooked. The climax of the book is Nixon's allies having an epic showdown against eldritch horrors during the Watergate "break-in." Nixon is hiding downstairs during the battle and gives us a short second-hand account. Hardly a satisfying pay-off!

The book does name-drop the Battle of Peleliu, which I only recently learned about and think could make a good horror story in its own right. It was one of the most horrific battles of World War Two: the U.S. forces firebombed the tropical jungle that covered the island, but the defenders just hid in their vast network of underground tunnels and were left virtually untouched. What was supposed to be a 4-day assault turned into a two-month slog as the Americans staggered through the 115 degree heat with no cover or shade while the fighting-fresh Japanese popped out of their caves to wreak havoc on them. For every Japanese soldier killed, over 1500 rounds of ammunition were fired. Attrition took its toll, however, and the Japanese surrendered after 10,700 of the island's 10,900 defenders were killed. In one transmission to central command the Japanese soldiers promised to fight on even after they had been turned into nightgaunts. :cthulhu:

Artist's depiction of a Lovecraftian protagonist U.S. Marine at Peleliu

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

MrNemo posted:

Yeah, another theme that is very strong is very much the 19th century elightenment ideals of rigorous academic thinking, analysis and an elevation of written records over oral ones. Nearly always the academic hero pieces things together from 'hidden lore' and the direct writing of other truth seekers. The oral histories are painted as inaccessible, supersitious and generally barbaric. The idea of turning that on its head is interesting. The dry academic analysis gives you some room for exploring the 'detached' scientist who doesn't grasp the horror of what they're encountering because they reject the emotional side of the lore. The 'Dark Gods' is supersitious mumbo-jumbo attached to alien intellects by peoples who were, unavoidably, ignorant of the nature of the cosmos. They're not evil they're simply other and it should be possible to utilise them, understand their motivations and work together. The players could be helped in this by some more traditional order who have a strong oral tradition that, it turns out, the superstitious mythological sounding parts of are actually true.

It gives the possible set up of the players starting out being assisted by the scientist, who is investigating deaths of his colleagues caused by some mystical order (maybe similiar to the original Assassins or something) and the players can slowly come to realise that they are in fact working with someone who doesn't understand what they're doing and is endangering all humanity.

It's a basic scientist playing god type trope, that does have the danger of being anti-intellectual but it gives you the opportunity to turn the 'indigenous, supersitious worshippers of the Old Ones battling upstanding white men of Englightenment rationality' part of Lovecraft on its head.
That's pretty much the backstory to Bloodborne. Academics and other societal elites came in contact with eldritch horrors and went yes we absoltely want more of that please at any cost whatsoever.

Forgall fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Sep 12, 2015

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pththya-lyi posted:

I agree about Crooked. The climax of the book is Nixon's allies having an epic showdown against eldritch horrors during the Watergate "break-in." Nixon is hiding downstairs during the battle and gives us a short second-hand account. Hardly a satisfying pay-off!

The book does name-drop the Battle of Peleliu, which I only recently learned about and think could make a good horror story in its own right. It was one of the most horrific battles of World War Two: the U.S. forces firebombed the tropical jungle that covered the island, but the defenders just hid in their vast network of underground tunnels and were left virtually untouched. What was supposed to be a 4-day assault turned into a two-month slog as the Americans staggered through the 115 degree heat with no cover or shade while the fighting-fresh Japanese popped out of their caves to wreak havoc on them. For every Japanese soldier killed, over 1500 rounds of ammunition were fired. Attrition took its toll, however, and the Japanese surrendered after 10,700 of the island's 10,900 defenders were killed. In one transmission to central command the Japanese soldiers promised to fight on even after they had been turned into nightgaunts. :cthulhu:

Artist's depiction of a Lovecraftian protagonist U.S. Marine at Peleliu

Wow I had not seen such a hi-res version of that image. That's Kurtzman's The Thousand Yard Stare right (or something similar)? From before post traumatic stress had a name other than "shell shock". It's crazy that most of Harvey Kurtzmans career was funny comic strips for Mad Magazine & others. He could be intense as hell when he wanted to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It is actually Tom Lea's Marines Call It That 2,000 Yard Stare. Lea was a war correspondent with Life Magazine and that painting is one of several he made as part of his Peleliu coverage. Before Peleliu Lea's military paintings were generally on the theme of gently caress YEAH AMERICA, but the Peleliu series showcases the horrors of war. That painting and The Price (:nms:) are two of Lea's best-known works; both are Peleliu paintings.

• Locked thread