Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Hard mode: You can't kill the rich. Glorious marxist revolution is also disabled.

The topic of a growing imbalance of power towards the wealthy in most nations on earth keeps coming up in Canada Politics of all places, and there seems to be enough interest there to warrant it's own thread. So discuss, how do you remove power from an elite and incredibly wealthy minority without going full reign of terror? How do you avoid the formation of neo-monarchies when we have no laws against the children or spouses of former leaders being elected into the same office? Is it even possible to achieve a utopian class-homogeneity within the influence of capitalism?

Why no killing? If you aren't thorough, you've just removed competition for the ones you leave alive (France, etc), and if you are very thorough there's still nothing stopping new ones from popping up in a few decades (Russia). No, just continually weeding out the nobility does nothing to resolve the situation. So what other options are there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)
Maybe if we ask the ruling class REALLY nicely they'll understand why collectivizing their private property is just the right thing to do

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Solution: A shitload of hard work, organizing, and increased amounts of money in politics.

Our system isn't broken. The agents within the system are not the most representative of the nation on issues of policy. Fortunately, the system has mechanisms for self-correction built in and will remain stable far into the future.

I do think its necessary to identify the dynamics which have reduced rates of class mobility over the lifecourse in America, and discuss specific policies that may be promoted to increase rates of capital accumulation through the lifespan.

Killing is an unpoductive path with too many unpredictable side effects. Once you unleash the killing genie, its a countdown until you're devoured.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

Solution: A shitload of hard work, organizing, and increased amounts of money in politics.

Our system isn't broken. The agents within the system are not the most representative of the nation on issues of policy. Fortunately, the system has mechanisms for self-correction built in and will remain stable far into the future.

I do think its necessary to identify the dynamics which have reduced rates of class mobility over the lifecourse in America, and discuss specific policies that may be promoted to increase rates of capital accumulation through the lifespan.
What role does increased money in politics play in fixing the our current wealth gap?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
hahaha you ruled out killing but didn't rule out genocide. forced sterilization is a form of genocide that isn't killing. i win the Class Toppler achievement easily

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

What role does increased money in politics play in fixing the our current wealth gap?

The cost/benefit of social program spending does not favor increasing allocations in order to win elections until the average cost per race is several times current levels, at a minimum.

Why raise taxes to spend money on social programs? Much easier to win election by taking more money to lower taxes and offsetting those cuts with elimination of social programs. Simply, support of those programs is not an effective method to lower the price per vote versus the marginal utility of increased fundraising ability from socially regressive policy positions.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

The cost/benefit of social program spending does not favor increasing allocations in order to win elections until the average cost per race is several times current levels, at a minimum.

Why raise taxes to spend money on social programs? Much easier to win election by taking more money to lower taxes and offsetting those cuts with elimination of social programs. Simply, support of those programs is not an effective method to lower the price per vote versus the marginal utility of increased fundraising ability from socially regressive policy positions.

So how does more money in politics ever lead to lower price per votes for populist policy? Specifically in a society where the wealth gap is as high as our own?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Well there is always accelerationism then rebuilding from the ashes.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Become the world's richest man (and first trillionaire) and give everyone all the money,.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Rime posted:

Hard mode: You can't kill the rich. Glorious marxist revolution is also disabled.

The topic of a growing imbalance of power towards the wealthy in most nations on earth keeps coming up in Canada Politics of all places, and there seems to be enough interest there to warrant it's own thread. So discuss, how do you remove power from an elite and incredibly wealthy minority without going full reign of terror? How do you avoid the formation of neo-monarchies when we have no laws against the children or spouses of former leaders being elected into the same office? Is it even possible to achieve a utopian class-homogeneity within the influence of capitalism?

Why no killing? If you aren't thorough, you've just removed competition for the ones you leave alive (France, etc), and if you are very thorough there's still nothing stopping new ones from popping up in a few decades (Russia). No, just continually weeding out the nobility does nothing to resolve the situation. So what other options are there?

Life imprisonment is the next best option (even if it's not a very good one). All we'd have to do is release all non-violent drug offenders and replace them since we have such a fantastic private prison infrastructure available.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Are we allowed to incapacitate the rich for an indeterminate amount of time?

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
No private schools (stolen from Warren Buffett), randomized school assignment
50-80% Inheritance Tax

I think that pretty much fixes it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

So how does more money in politics ever lead to lower price per votes for populist policy? Specifically in a society where the wealth gap is as high as our own?

Because every policy position has costs associated with it in terms of votes. More money in politics increasing return on populist policy positions which directly and visibly benefit lower classes. While these currently take the form of regressive tax structures, general demographic trends make those policies unsustainable: you can't cut taxes for someone who you've made tax exempt.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Imaginary GF posted:

Because every policy position has costs associated with it in terms of votes. More money in politics increasing return on populist policy positions which directly and visibly benefit lower classes. While these currently take the form of regressive tax structures, general demographic trends make those policies unsustainable: you can't cut taxes for someone who you've made tax exempt.

You are gonna have to spell it out for me. By more money in politics you are talking about money supporting populist policy? Where does that money come from and how could it compete with established sources of campaign revenue? What about demographic trends suggests that plutocratic policies are unsustainable? Current trends show that the ultra-wealthy will continue to amass their wealth at higher than market rates.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I recommend kidnapping and slavery OP.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

You are gonna have to spell it out for me. By more money in politics you are talking about money supporting populist policy? Where does that money come from and how could it compete with established sources of campaign revenue? What about demographic trends suggests that plutocratic policies are unsustainable? Current trends show that the ultra-wealthy will continue to amass their wealth at higher than market rates.

It doesn't compete, it lowers the amount of capital a campaign is required to raise in order to be competitive. Increase of contribution limits incentivizes maintainance of a few, highly lucrative interests over a broad subset of general interests. More money, less individuals whom you need to please, more options for innovative policy positions which lower price per vote while also raising necessary capital to be competitive.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Miltank posted:

Read up on Lawrence Lessig if this top interests you. He has some interesting ideas on how to combat money in politics.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
100% death tax. Maybe the first 200,000 and one house is exempt.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Foma posted:

Read up on Lawrence Lessig if this top interests you. He has some interesting ideas on how to combat money in politics.

He failed miserably in 2014, though. So maybe take what he has to say with a grain of salt.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Foma posted:

Lessig wants less money in politics. I want more through official channels and less through unaccountable channels.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Powercrazy posted:

100% death tax. Maybe the first 200,000 and one house is exempt.

Estate taxes don't work, they'll just choose to distribute it pre-death either into a trust fund or individual accounts.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Trapping the rich in a crystal prison tumbling through space technically isn't killing them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tatankatonk posted:

Trapping the rich in a crystal prison tumbling through space technically isn't killing them.

Neither is unilaterally revoking their US Passports when they're on yet another business-class flight abroad, and barring them from entry in perpetuity.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Neither is unilaterally revoking their US Passports when they're on yet another business-class flight abroad, and barring them from entry in perpetuity.

Solution: Employ a plausibly deniable shell to do your travels for you. "What, me, go to Malta?! No, no, customs officer, that was my 3rd cousin Alfredo!"

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Solution: Employ a plausibly deniable shell to do your travels for you. "What, me, go to Malta?! No, no, customs officer, that was my 3rd cousin Alfredo!"

Yeah, I'm sure the rich are just dying to find other people to go enjoy Paris for them. :rolleyes:

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Absurd Alhazred posted:

We could also make rich people wear some sort of star on their clothes, to indicate their status.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

on the left posted:

We could also make rich people wear some sort of star on their clothes, to indicate their status.

They already wear clothes that indicate their status, so that will not be necessary.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the rich are just dying to find other people to go enjoy Paris commit tax fraud for them. :rolleyes:

Fixed for you.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Fixed for you.

Going to Paris has a use value that sending an underling there will not get for you for any price.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

Our system isn't broken.

Correct! It's horrible effects are by design.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

HorseLord posted:

Correct! It's horrible effects are by design.

Correct! We've also improvised mechanisms to ameliorate those when sufficient expressions of popular will exist.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

My Imaginary GF posted:

Correct! We've also improvised mechanisms to ameliorate those when sufficient expressions of popular will exist.

You're afraid, aren't you, Rahm? I've found the one weakness the international jet-setters have: their love of frequent international travel. They're never going to be able to buy their way out of that one. They're going to want to go to the Bahamas, or to Paris, or to Moscow, just like all their other oligarch friends.

And when they do, BAM! No way back. Their funds are forfeit, their companies nationalized, the lamentation of their children unheeded.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They already wear clothes that indicate their status, so that will not be necessary.

Problem: tech billionaires dress like homeless people

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

on the left posted:

Problem: tech billionaires dress like homeless people

Nope. They have their stubble be just the right level. It's a meticulous simulacrum of homelessness, but you can spot it a mile away (mostly because you can't smell them a mile away). I've seen enough Inc., Details, Fortune, and Wired covers.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004

Rime posted:

Estate taxes don't work, they'll just choose to distribute it pre-death either into a trust fund or individual accounts.

Estate taxes as written have horrible loopholes, but it isn't an unfixable problem (there is just no will, and forces fighting against closing them), if we are talking about fixing our system through fiat, it is a completely doable solution.

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

My Imaginary GF posted:

go on lad, give us an example

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rime posted:

Total jubilee every 7 years, plus aggressive assertion of squatters rights. Just as the Bible commands.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if everyone was just nice to each other?

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014
I dunno, maybe we lobotomize them, then take their poo poo and spread it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rime posted:

Hard mode: You can't kill the rich.

Y'all are looking at it the wrong way around.

Once you have killed all of the poor, everybody left is rich

problem solved

• Locked thread