Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
We should implement Plato's Republic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Number Two Stunna posted:

We should implement Plato's Republic.

replace organs with canvas and steel, become Mohists

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Kill the 99% spare the 1%. No more inequality. How will they make civilization work without people working for them? Not my problem, i`ll be dead by then.

Broand
Oct 13, 2011
The ideal solution would simply to redefine what we consider to be Rich and Poor. A system where those who don't work can still live comfortably, where extra spending money is an optional thing. Given our increases in technology, we'll probably reach a point where all labour is automated. And when that's the case we'll need to adopt a new system anyway as there won't be any jobs for the poor.

RavenKrows
May 29, 2008
Have you all tried getting useful degrees yet? I mean it's not a perfect solution and I could still lose my job one day but I have decent chances of finding new work in at most half a year (I pray). I just think it'd be a better use of your time than talking about how to violently alter a society that's doing well for the most part when people actually give a drat.
Merry Christmas all

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Look at all of you complaining about class yet none of you are British.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

radicalise the cops, make capital flight illegal, 100% tax above a million quid personally, institute direct democracy public referenda that actually have any effect whatsoever. make it illegal to lie in your election campaigns. make inland revenue into a sprawling mega-task force burning all the tax havens to the ground. institute a living wage. copy chinas execution vans but since we cant kill anyone we'll have roaming rectal feeding vans for anyone who abuses a position of power. make public surveillance require a warrant, make surveillance of those weilding public power mandantory.

if corporations are people then they can commit crimes, jail all of them that have done something that would be illegal for a person to do. publically execute goldman sachs and monsanto.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
The 99% have 99% of the vote. The 1% have 1% of the vote. What shall the 99 do?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

asdf32 posted:

The 99% have 99% of the vote. The 1% have 1% of the vote. What shall the 99 do?

actually, everyone who qualifies has the priviledge of franchise

Just because you don't do your civic duty, doesn't mean the rest of us are jaded assholes who don't contribute to America by voting Democratic straight-ticket.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

RavenKrows posted:

I could still lose my job one day but I have decent chances of finding new work in at most half a year (I pray)

Put this on my tombstone.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Well, OP, I guess we can fix America by voting Democrat in every election. I trust Hillary Clinton to fix America's problems of inequality and militarism in 2016 and beyond.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

tatankatonk posted:

Well, OP, I guess we can fix America by voting Democrat in every election. I trust Hillary Clinton to fix America's problems of inequality and militarism in 2016 and beyond.

Voting isn't worth much, actually. $17 to $34 is the 95% CI range of the value of your vote. Unless you contribute to candidates and volunteer your time (worth $2.35/h to $8.70/h), frankly, your vote ain't worth much.

Aim to contribute 100 votes every year to campaigns you like and then you'll be making headway towards making a difference.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Lovely assumption here that being wealthy is coextensive with being evil. I call this the Unjust World Fallacy.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheImmigrant posted:

Lovely assumption here that owning slaves is coextensive with being evil. I call this the Unjust World Fallacy.

Nice strawman but being good doesn't prevent benefitting from an evil system.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Nice strawman but being good doesn't prevent benefitting from an evil system.

Even better is your assertion that being wealthy is the same as owning slaves.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
The rich and powerful ARE being oppressed by this sort of language, and I think it is very important that some brave souls dare to speak of their plight.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Elected officials and executive-level government positions have all private assets (household) beyond median income and wealth seized upon election and for the remainder of their life. Money will still be effective at manipulating the electorate, but is at least insulated from elected officials (outside of indirect coercion). Of course this severely dis-incentivizes legitimate political ambitions as well, but plenty of other financially unrewarding careers with fewer perks have no trouble attracting talent. It also incentivizes increasing median wealth.

Combine with a ranking-based ballot, 4-year representative terms, more representatives per population unit, and the elimination of districts. The senate can only approve or reject legislation as passed by the house.

Or just dust the rich with magic utopian fairy dust because none of this would work (it would only require expending more for power), and anything with the potential to work would never be permitted.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheImmigrant posted:

Lovely assumption here that being wealthy is coextensive with being evil. I call this the Unjust World Fallacy.

It balances out, though; the rich can afford to pay for therapy to help them cope with this unjust treatment by the poors and their thieving government.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheImmigrant posted:

Even better is your assertion that being wealthy is the same as owning slaves.

Look at this guy who doesn't understand analogies.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Look at this guy who doesn't understand analogies.

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheImmigrant posted:

Would you fight slavery in the UAE if you found a job there? Or would you just keep raking up your mid-to-upper class income while benefiting from it?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
gently caress no. Expat packages in the uae are a legit class modifier

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

TheImmigrant posted:

Do you think slavery in the United States was an evil thing?

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The reverse Galt: Everyone starts refusing service to the rich, making all their money and influence useless.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Nevvy Z posted:

Do you think slavery in the United States was an evil thing?

Of course I do, but the question is entirely off-topic in a discussion about whether senseless violence against the wealthy is a Good Thing.

Do you think genocide is wrong?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Would you fight slavery in the UAE if you found a job there? Or would you just keep raking up your mid-to-upper class income while benefiting from it?

The UAE banned slavery in the early 70s, enlightened folk that they are.

[You sound jealous about the income thing. Jealousy will consume you.]

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The reverse Galt: Everyone starts refusing service to the rich, making all their money and influence useless.

Good luck with that.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Dec 25, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Broand posted:

The ideal solution would simply to redefine what we consider to be Rich and Poor. A system where those who don't work can still live comfortably, where extra spending money is an optional thing. Given our increases in technology, we'll probably reach a point where all labour is automated. And when that's the case we'll need to adopt a new system anyway as there won't be any jobs for the poor.

The problem is that there is already a massive proportion of low-paying jobs (particularly in the service industry) that could have been automated decades ago.

Automating menial labor is not just something that happens naturally unless is pushed along by conscious social reform. The ruling classes have a vested interest in keeping poor folks occupied with busy-work.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

PupsOfWar posted:

The problem is that there is already a massive proportion of low-paying jobs (particularly in the service industry) that could have been automated decades ago.

Automating menial labor is not just something that happens naturally unless is pushed along by conscious social reform. The ruling classes have a vested interest in keeping poor folks occupied with busy-work.

What do you think this is, Egypt? No, this is America. We don't have a ruling class, we have a governing class with high rates of class turnover. Even better, almost everyone is a sufficient enough stakeholder to advance into our governing class.

Guess what, there's no big loving conspiracy to keep "poor folk occupied." There's only profit, the systems in which its pursued, and the agents who pursue it. Which are you?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheImmigrant posted:

The UAE banned slavery in the early 70s, enlightened folk that they are.
They may have illegalized it formally, but it's still there.

quote:

[You sound jealous about the income thing. Jealousy will consume you.]
I mostly never tire of pointing out the moral bankruptcy of my soi-disant betters. I wouldn't say jealousy is the right word, I don't begrudge other people's success or wealth, I am simply annoyed at their bitching and whining at any little thing that might impede their lives a tiny bit.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
lmfao if you seriously don't believe that the US has a ruling class.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Miltank posted:

If you can't bootstrap yourself into wealthy White parents, then don't blame me if you can't succeed in our By God America! :patriot:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Perform a test on everyone worth over 100 million, anyone who shows triats of a sociopath is put away and their property is redistributed.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Crowsbeak posted:

Perform a test on everyone worth over 100 million, anyone who shows triats of a sociopath is put away and their property is redistributed.

*Harvard designs the test*

Looks like 0.00001% of those individuals deserve to be put away and have their property appropriated to Congress' general revenue fund. Meanwhile, over 40% of individuals with incomes 0 to $1 million fit under the definitions of the test. Are you sure you want to implement such a regressive form of taxation?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Imaginary GF posted:

*Harvard designs the test*

Looks like 0.00001% of those individuals deserve to be put away and have their property appropriated to Congress' general revenue fund. Meanwhile, over 40% of individuals with incomes 0 to $1 million fit under the definitions of the test. Are you sure you want to implement such a regressive form of taxation?

As I said, it would only be for those worth over 100 million. Also I would require it be the Levenson Self-Report Psychopathy test.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Miltank posted:

Let me tell you about a little thing called The American Dream™ :911:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

As I said, it would only be for those worth over 100 million. Also I would require it be the Levenson Self-Report Psychopathy test.

If that ever happens, you know I'm going to invest in psychopathy test-prep company stocks.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Kill all the rich. This doesn't violate the rule because I believe in reincarnation.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I mostly never tire of pointing out the moral bankruptcy of my soi-disant betters. I wouldn't say jealousy is the right word, I don't begrudge other people's success or wealth, I am simply annoyed at their bitching and whining at any little thing that might impede their lives a tiny bit.

This entire thread is a resentnik bitchfest, and I don't know who has positioned him- or herself as your better. I certainly haven't, and wouldn't, since I know nothing about you other than that you're a self-loathing Israeli who's fortunate enough to have 'lifeboat' US citizenship too. You could be a trustafarian for all I know, richer by several orders of magnitude than I am. The thread is full of self-congratulatory veiled references to violence against the wealthy, regardless of their merit or lack thereof. The assumption is that the world is unjust, and anyone who does relatively well automatically has dirty hands. It's a deeply cynical way to view the world, and it's a bunch of poo poo.

'Bitching and whining' doesn't really describe bemused commentary about a resentnik circle-jerk about how mean and bad those rich people are. It's especially rich to see you all, most of whom are members of the global elite, mewling piteously about how there are people above you in your own countries. An Anglophone with the resources and leisure to amass thousands of whiny posts on an Internet echo chamber has already won life's lottery. I became much happier in life when I learned to focus on what I need to make myself happy, rather than resenting others who have more than I do. I don't need a private jet, and the fact that someone else has a private jet doesn't affect my quality of life at all.

Give it a try.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TheImmigrant posted:

This entire thread is a resentnik bitchfest, and I don't know who has positioned him- or herself as your better. I certainly haven't, and wouldn't, since I know nothing about you other than that you're a self-loathing Israeli who's fortunate enough to have 'lifeboat' US citizenship too. You could be a trustafarian for all I know, richer by several orders of magnitude than I am. The thread is full of self-congratulatory veiled references to violence against the wealthy, regardless of their merit or lack thereof. The assumption is that the world is unjust, and anyone who does relatively well automatically has dirty hands. It's a deeply cynical way to view the world, and it's a bunch of poo poo.

'Bitching and whining' doesn't really describe bemused commentary about a resentnik circle-jerk about how mean and bad those rich people are. It's especially rich to see you all, most of whom are members of the global elite, mewling piteously about how there are people above you in your own countries. An Anglophone with the resources and leisure to amass thousands of whiny posts on an Internet echo chamber has already won life's lottery. I became much happier in life when I learned to focus on what I need to make myself happy, rather than resenting others who have more than I do. I don't need a private jet, and the fact that someone else has a private jet doesn't affect my quality of life at all.

Give it a try.

And still you post in this den of losers and resentniks. What does that make of you?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Kill all the rich. This doesn't violate the rule because I believe in reincarnation.

*attempts to implement policy*

*is killed by the rich within a year while your extended family are made serfs or impressed for war*

*only gets 2 lines in Oxford's Companion History*

Well gee, that sure was a shitshow that you attempted there. Was the Vendee worth your two lines, you loving monster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And still you post in this den of losers and resentniks. What does that make of you?

I enjoy hanging out in fora where I disagree with Prevailing Thought. Hanging out with like-minded folk for high-fives and other reinforcement seems to me the definition of intellectual flabbiness. 'Debate' on this thread is mostly whether wealthy people* should be summarily drawn and quartered, or summarily burned at the stake. Controversy!

*Definition limited to People Wealthier Than Me. Never mind that as a US/UK/[insert developed country] undergrad memorizing Derrida and Foucault, I'm more fortunate than 95% of the people ever born.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Where are you from, and how do you define 'rich?'

• Locked thread