Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
but not a lot better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
No. John, you can't not play this. You're not doing the right thing. Things are good now. Things are fine now. D3 ran a test. Things are good now. D3 is fixed now. You can trust me now. Everything's good now.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

OP just emerged from transcendental meditation.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
agreed op, but the endgame grind is insanely gay (or if you prefer to not use homophobic language, insanely queer)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
someone needs to figure out a way to combine the servers/netcode and combat of d3 with the poe devs ability to keep making content with the color balance of torchlight and then set it anywhere but grimdark gothic fantasy and we might have a good arpg

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
like perhaps teh grimdark postapoc fantasy of Grim Dawn

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

just make diablo 2 again

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I think it got a lot better. I didn't like Diablo 3 at release but with Reaper of Souls its actually a pretty okay game. I'm not really a big fan of ARPGs anyway though.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Silver Striker posted:

I think it got a lot better. I didn't like Diablo 3 at release but with Reaper of Souls its actually a pretty okay game. I'm not really a big fan of ARPGs anyway though.

I agree. ARPG's aren't my favorite but I've tried a few and D3 is by far the best. At launch it was garbage, but RoS changed the structure a lot. D3 is fun now.

Even more impressive than making the game fun, is that Blizzard listened to the gamers.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Out of all the ARPGs I have played (Torchlight 1&2, Titan Quest, Borderlands, etc.), RoS has been my favorite. I also played D2 and D1 but I'm not really that experienced with them since I never got into the metagame and played way late. From what I gather D3 still doesn't live up to D2, but a lot of people consider D2 to be one of the best games ever made and there really isn't a way to follow up to that.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I had a lot of fun with RoS for about 2 weeks. Then suddenly lost total interest in the game. There's just not that same feeling of wanting to play more, and get gear, etc. All presentation with less substance/atmosphere than d2, imo. I thought rifts would be cool at first but ended up being really boring. I want to like d3, and there's aspects that are really cool and fun but as a whole it doesn't stand up.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kazvall posted:

I had a lot of fun with RoS for about 2 weeks. Then suddenly lost total interest in the game. There's just not that same feeling of wanting to play more, and get gear, etc. All presentation with less substance/atmosphere than d2, imo. I thought rifts would be cool at first but ended up being really boring. I want to like d3, and there's aspects that are really cool and fun but as a whole it doesn't stand up.

:agreed:

I got suckered into trying it again, didn't really hold up. I guess if I was 15 again it'd be p cool but I'd rather just play wii-u games over and over, read a new book, or really do anything other than playing d3. it's 'good' now sure, probably the best online arpg,, but still pretty bad.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

^ yeah i think youre right

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
yeah p much

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah I hear it's good but man I dunno if it's like $30 better

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Yeah I don't play it as much as other games/hobbies. Still, as a game, I like D3:RoS way more than I ever liked D2. But that's because I was a dumb little kid who could be entertained by anything. Being an adult is boring and lame and sad.

Oh yeah also I never played D2 with Eastern Sun mod so that's prolly another reason I didn't like it so much.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
I wish I sold the items I got when I played this instead of not doing it and stopping playing after a month. I still regret it now, even though it would only be like 15 bucks.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like anyone who describes d2 as one of the best games ever made hasn't played very many games, or thought about games very seriously.

d2 was one of the best slot machines of all time

i say this as someone who put hundreds of hours into that miserable game

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mr sad posted:

i feel like anyone who describes d2 as one of the best games ever made hasn't played very many games, or thought about games very seriously.

describe an arpg that's better than diablo 2 LoD

oh wait

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobnumerotres posted:

describe an arpg that's better than diablo 2 LoD

oh wait

he's trying to say that arpg's aren't a very good genre, and heck, i agree.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

he's trying to say that arpg's aren't a very good genre, and heck, i agree.

*reads this* *loses my god drat mind*

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I used to play Diablo on the battle.net and my name in game was SPUDCRUSHER. I made a bunch of internet friends there due to my affinity to kill people in the game and take their ears. We hung out in the channel #CHEATERS and boy howdy let me tell you we weren't the sort of players to mess with. If your character name was GANDALF then you best beware because we were after you for sure.

If not for Diablo I would not have gained the knowledge to program in HTML and make webpages for my guild. Not that amature Anglefire poo poo. The real deal notepad HTML made from scratch webpage son. God bless you Diablo.

And that's my Diablo story.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I have been playing this and it is much improved from launch. I mostly played wizard and that is/was fun but now I am starting a demon hunter in the season thingy and I could see taking it to max lvl and then doing some of the gear treadmill for a while.

The minute to minute gameplay is the most fun I have had in an arpg and it feels real nice to push the buttons and kill the dudes.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Diablo 2's camera is awful and it's so bad I've never wanted to play the game for long.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Sir John Feelgood posted:

just make diablo 2 again

this, but unironically

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wish my crusader didn't look like a warhammer

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The combat designer for diablo 3 (not necessarily class skills but the overall feel of gameplay like monsters blowing up) was the dude who designed Dee Jay back in the day for Street Fighter 2. Trivia.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

rediscover posted:

this, but unironically
this

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

The combat designer for diablo 3 (not necessarily class skills but the overall feel of gameplay like monsters blowing up) was the dude who designed Dee Jay back in the day for Street Fighter 2. Trivia.

dee jay has always been the best street fighter so this comes as no surprise to me

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

diablo 3 is still worse than a game released 14 years ago by the same company in the same series.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Groovelord Neato posted:

diablo 3 is still worse than a game released 14 years ago by the same company in the same series.

holy poo poo!! i hadn't realized. this has never happened before, so i was taken a little by surprise.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i also wish i could trade cool stuff i found for other cool stuff instead of having it bound to my account

edit: but without the stupid auction house. it's not like there aren't constant chat bots selling accounts anyway.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 25, 2014

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

I wish you could still open a trade with somebody and then witness them flash the item in and out and across the trade window five times and then close trade.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Actually, let me inform you. Diablo 2 was made by Blizzard North, which was a different studio owned by Blizzard. After Diablo 2, the only game they ever made that didn't suck, they got upset and made their own studio and released two games that sucked. RoS might not live up to Diablo 2, but it's way better than anything else Blizzard North ever has released or ever will release.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blizzard North made Diablo 1 which is another game that didn't suck. Also their Diablo 3 looked more interesting than what we got but we'll never know for certain...

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Basically, what I'm saying is Diablo 2 is an anomaly. Even the people who worked on it can't make a game even a quarter as good to save their own lives. RoS still has problems and isn't as good as 2, but it's the best anyone has done with the ARPG genre for the past like 10 years.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sir John Feelgood posted:

I wish you could still open a trade with somebody and then witness them flash the item in and out and across the trade window five times and then close trade.

same

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is Diablo 2 is an anomaly. Even the people who worked on it can't make a game even a quarter as good to save their own lives. RoS still has problems and isn't as good as 2, but it's the best anyone has done with the ARPG genre for the past like 10 years.

actually titan quest IT with a little bit of balance tweaking is

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Bobnumerotres posted:

actually titan quest IT with a little bit of balance tweaking is

I never did the balance tweaking so I wouldn't know. I love Titan Quest, but I tried a bunch of different builds and could never really find one that worked as I wanted it too. I hear Grim Dawn is supposed to be a pretty good successor, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Crusader looks like a cool class.

• Locked thread