Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
That's just something I made up. Kartia isn't quite as silly as I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...

Sazero posted:

That's just something I made up. Kartia isn't quite as silly as I am.

Or as comfortable with English. Hooray for making it to the next page!

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

To be fair I have spell check. There would be quite a few words that would be spelled wrong if I didn't have that. :v:
But I did get out of my English exam with max grades without studying for it. Because I'm one of those glorious assholes who can do that. :smug:
Or maybe it's something you can attribute to having been raised with video games. English is my second language if that's at all relevant.

So far the vote is:
Toxa: 5
Lacryma: 2

It seems clear that Toxa is going to win. Again.
Is this what fate is like?
But I'll give it a bit more time. Mainly because I don't want to update already :v:

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Voting for Lacryma. Let's save batman for the last update.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Lacryma should go first. Toxa feels more like he's heading for a grand finale.

And wow, what a finale this is shaping up to be. Multiple copies that all need someone's sacrifice to Original Death?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Sorry for the late update, I binge read the White Knight Chronicles LP and blacked out. Anyways let's get this show on the road.

Toxa Episode 36 Final Chapter 18 pt.1

So here we are.

We start off the chapter with the episode intro. It's the map on Rebus zooming out while every other episode intro's we've had in Toxa's story fading slightly in and out.
So it can be a bit hard to see.

Mmhmm. Saradiart getting crushed, I remember that. Good times.

Stupid magical elf bullshit. Yep.

So this is how you tell that it's the final chapter. The colors are inverted from the normal title drop. Simple, but effective.

We're back in the same courtyard where we were having our last reunion with everyone.

"This is strange! I still feel the atmosphere of battle!"
Toxa is sensing something.
"I hear the sound of magic. I hear it everywhere!"

Bwarrr, I'm a Dragon and I'm roaring!

"That is the cry of the Dragons! Are the Phantoms still around?"
"Why? We killed Saradiart."
Remember that the Elves would take back everything Eden brought with it when Saradiart got dealt with.
So the fact that the Phantoms are still here is the first sign of the plan having gone wrong.

:siren:MUSIC:SALADINART:siren:
Of course Saradiarts theme plays here.

Surprise! Saradiart isn't dead. It's not that the Original "Death" didn't work, but rather that he had a clone hanging around in the event that he
should be hit by O.G. "Death" again. Dare I say it? A villain that learns from his mistakes? Holy poo poo I'm legitimately terrified now.

"I'm not stupid enough to be killed twice in the same way."
I'd prefer to be smart enough not to be killed at all. :colbert:

Another Saradiart pops into existence right in front of us. Hey! That's cheating! Only heroes get to have extra lives! :argh:

"I feel the power from both Sans... It's as if both of them are my real brother..."
Great. So Saradiart has the power of CTRL-V. I can't even imagine what that would entail. So let's just roll with it.
"This can't be... We already used the "Death" Kartia on one of his clones!"
Sure, but even if we did have enough "Deaths" to kill all the Saradiarts we'd have to sacrifice another two people to do it.

"No way!! This is horrible..."
Well it could be worse. At least Saradiart is limited to only two clones...

I am so sorry I said that. :cripes:

So yeah, Saradiart answers the age old question of "Wait, the villain has X advantage? Why doesn't he just used X advantage over and over again?"

"No!"
"Go ahead and try!"
Guys, you're staring down 3 Saradiarts and you got your rear end kicked by one. Still, you'd probably die no matter what you did, so go for broke.

"Mona, don't make this difficult for me! Do you want your friends to die!?"
Man, threatening your sister? That ain't coo' man. Ain't coo' at all. :colbert:
"San..."

Another Saradiart pop into existence. We're at 4 now.

Except that she doesn't. She just kind of want you to chill out.

"Just because she is your sister doesn't mean... You are selfish!"
"We won't give Mona back to you!"

We're now at 5 Saradiarts. Saradiart is reaching critical mass!

I'm not gonna lie. We are kind of boned. We are actually 5 times as screwed as last time we faced Saradiart.

"Mona.exe has detected that you're using cheats. Your account will now be terminated. VAC BAN!"

Mona decides not to VAC BAN the last Saradiart, even though she could have ended the whole thing right then and there.
Also of note the "Original" Saradiart is dead by now. Bachstail took out a clone and we saw Mona killed the other clones.
The last one remaining is one we also saw created and is thus a clone.

"I will become the king of the world! That is the only way!"
Man, what are you even trying to do anymore Saradiart?
"gently caress you, my girlfriend is magic! You're powerless by Mona's magic."
"I still have this Kartia!"

When Mona swings the ban hammer, she swings it hard. Saradiart no longer has any clones or access to his bullshit elven magic.

"Posha! Take Mona to safety!"

And so our magical bullshit super weapon leaves the game. Well okey, we'll just risk our lives unnecessarily then!
Who am I kidding? There is absolutely no risk at all here. Mona has been reading the LP. She knows.

And so the final battle begins.

Next update. :v: Bwahahahaha

Toxa Episode 36 Final Chapter 18 pt.1

BONUS SIDE NOTES:

Sazero posted:

So far the vote is:
Toxa: 5
Lacryma: 2

Wait... Hold on...
5 Toxa votes...
5 Saradiarts...
No...
IS SARADIART A READER OF THIS LP!?
IS THE TOXA VOTERS A PART OF THIS GAME?
The interdimensional wall has been broken!
EDEN HAS BEEN SUM-------

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Aww Mona doesn't join us for the final fight? :(

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 36 Final Chapter 18 pt.2

Strap in kids, this is is! The final fight in Toxa's campaign.

So this is our objective. Saradiart is the hardest opponent we've faced yet. Obviously.
But even that is hardly enough to stop us. We're way past magical elven bullshit.
We have kartiatic human bullshit. :v:

So Saradiart is lvl 20. Just like most of Toxa's party. He is also sporting a Dream Katana.
He is employing a tactic I've been using most of the game. You know you've got them on the ropes when they are
copying you. Other than that he has terrible equipment. More on him later.

I figure now is the time to show off all the Text's we've collected.
I am currently missing a Silk Text. It's a Text used in making the Novel set. Which increases XP gain. It's only wearable for humans.
As for where to get the Text? I have no clue. But whatever. It's not important. Most of our party made it to lvl 20 anyways.

I do have all the Mithril Texts. So yay, go me.

And I also have all the World Tree... Wait what? I'm missing 3? What the hell? Where could they be?
IN. THIS. MAP. THERE IS TEXT IN THE FINAL CHAPTER IN TOXA'S CAMPAIGN.
At this point I just don't see the point in getting the last Texts. I am 100% done with this poo poo.
At least 50% of playing this game is breaking open containers and opening chests to get Text. So gently caress it.
I'm done with that.
Besides the Text's in question are not even worth the Kartia to dig up since they're only used in creating the Soul Blade.

Anyways we start here.

And there's just a poo poo ton of Phantoms.

And Saradiart is also spamming Phantoms. Great. But this map is really really easy.

Mainly because the game likes to fight to it's own disadvantage... If it even attacks at all. Most of these Phantoms AI are set to Wall.
So they won't attack unless we walk into their attack range. So you can for the most part ignore them.

See? The AI is stupid as... Well It's really stupid.

Choo choo get out of the way. Phantom Pain Train coming through.
I just hope Saradiart doesn't know how to "Blitz" But this isn't Final Fantasy VI So I have nothing to worry about.

He only knows the ultimate magic spells. :ohdear:

Turns out revenge isn't a dish best served cold, because Misty only took 18 damage.

Guess who forgot what Dream Katana does?

This guy! Man, that was totally intentional. Now I can farm out XP on Saradiart! :v:

Let's see if Saradiart can take it as well as he dishes it out.

2 Absolutes Zero's, A Thunder Copy and a attack from Toxa and he is still only down to 47 hp.

Make that 67. drat. What the gently caress gives? Well he has 139 resistance in all elements and the most ultimate of spells only deal 150 before Mix shenanigans.
So my spells at best only deal 11-18 damage per cast. Normally I'd approach this from a physical attack angle, but Saradiart has the Dream Katana.
So a normal attack will have to deal more than 38 damage for it to be better than Kartia. So in short I can't one turn Saradiart.
It just takes two turns instead. :v:

This is where Toxa's magic weakness shows. drat 41 damage.
It's funny that Misty only took 18 damage, but she was knocked out stone cold in the cutscene in chapter 17,
while Toxa was just knocked down to a kneeling position. Not really reflective of game play elements.
But let's move on.

Oh by the way, the Kyau General is just fine.

Maybe I shouldn't have parked Karis right next to a Fynus Phantom.

Nah, it's totally fine. Dream weapons are over powered.

Anyways time to end it. Once and for all. First we heal up.

I thought it appropriate for Toxa to land the killing blow. (It's not at all because he has the highest physical attack.)

And that's for putting filler in Chapter 17! You dork!

Wait.. Really? No Final Forms? I'm kind of disappointed to be honest.

As a final gently caress you. The game gives you an Odin Hat you'll only ever be able to use if you play the game again in NG+.
We also have a massive surplus of Kartia. But this is the final game section of Toxa's story. I hope you enjoyed it.(I didn't, not really. :()

It also prompts us to save our clear file.

[Would you like to view the ending now?]
[Yes]
[No]
[Procrastinate] <===

Toxa Episode 36 Final Chapter 18 pt.2

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 36 Final Chapter 18 pt.3

I rolled a 1 on my Procrastination Check and thus it critically failed. drat

"When Mona sealed his power, it was obvious that he lost... Yet, he didn't try to run away. Why?"
"Was it because of his pride?"
"Maybe his human side forced him to keep on fighting..."

"Saradiart... Now I see..."

Magic Bullshit Elf time!

Saradiart gets magicked away to the Elf(th) dimension.

I wonder if the elven prison system is like the Norweigan one.

Aww yeah! Good ending time!

Ofcourse the elves can just fix everything like that. Because magic elven bullshit. :argh:

"Then that means..."
"Yes! The Phantoms have disappeared from Rebus!"

The game shows you how the Phantoms disappears one by one here, but let's just cut it eh?

While I don't see why the Knights would any problems with Akrillo's and Dragons. It's totally understandable for normal civilians to
have a very hard time. Also wow those Phantoms really got out of hands.

:allears:

Oh, hey it's Joe again. But didn't we see them in Lacryma's Chapter? I honestly can't remember so let's just move on.

Oh yes, GOD saved you. I bet you're the sort of people who thanks GOD when it was the doctor's work for fixing you up after
getting into a bicycle accident. Well to be fair it's not like they knew what was going on.

Are they reading the LP too? Stop breaking the 4th wall! :argh:

:allears::allears::allears:

I still can't get over how there's a character named Candy in this game.

"Akueldo lost their Commander. The war is over."
"We can let the Knights take care of the rest."
"We can finally take a vacation."
"Posha, you have to write a report when we get back."
"What report!? Me!?"
"Yes, remember, you're the successor of Duran."
Man, even though we saved the world, we still have to do homework? The world is a harsh place.

"What will become of us?"
"I will report this at the next Inquirer's meeting. Don't worry."
"Thanks for your help... We owe you a lot..."

Wait what?

"Keep Mona? Why does it have to be this way?"

Friggin' Elves :argh: and their drat elven magical bullshit.

If only arguing on the internet were this easy :negative:

Man, this isn't shaping up to be the happy ending.

"Mona, are you sure about this?"
"My brother has been taken to that world and will be judged... I want to be close to him... He will be lonely..."
"I understand how you feel about your brother. But you must also think about Toxa's feelings as well."
"Once you go back, you may not be able to come back, Mona."
"Mona, you love Toxa, don't you? Then why don't you stay here!?"
"Mona, think about this. Toxa is serious about you!"
Well he did certainly murder a lot of things for Mona.

It sounds like Mona are set in stone to go to the Elven world.

Yeah, gently caress Rebus.

Man, there's just no working with these guys are there?

Wait is this really going to happen?

And then she is gone. :qq: Stop pulling my heartstrings game.

We've won, but Toxa lost.

Yeah. Everything Toxa have worked for. Completely ruined.
The hero doesn't get his reward, go directly to jail, do not collect happy ending.

"You did what you could do... Don't forget that..."
"Toxa, you helped save the world. You are a true Knight!"

So that's how this game ends. Toxa, losing in the end.
I mean sure, he is regarded as a hero, but he that wasn't why he was doing all this.
This is the story Kartia wanted to tell us.

I have no idea who any of these guys are, but I'm posting the credits anyway.

And that's that. The game doesn't have an epilogue as to what happens to the rest of our party.
We don't even see Duran again. What happens to Alana or Posha. We simply do not get told.
And I think that's a major flaw in the ending. We've been so invested in these characters, that we don't
really get a proper ending to them.

I'm not particularly satisfied with this ending. So let's see if I can't find a little more as to what happened.

Toxa's pretty stubborn about thing. At least he still has some hope. It's better than sitting in a bar and drinking away your sorrow.

"If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask me."
"I know you have somebody waiting for you back home... Don't worry about me."
I guess Alana really did get together with Assam.
"Toxa..."
"You have someone waiting for you..."

And there she is. Just like that.

"How can you be here!?"
"Didn't you go back to Eden with the Old Elf?"
"Yes, I'm in Eden as well."
"What? What do you mean?"
"The one in Eden is a copy of me. She will be with my brother."
Well makes perfect sense. If you need to be two places at once, just split yourself.
Rebus is a world where that is entirely possible. If you're a bullshit magical elf at least.

I guess Mona, Megaman'd San's powers.

"If they found out, you would be in big trouble!"
"Yes, but I have Toxa."

Oh, hey. We do get to see Duran again.

It's a little hard to see in the sceenshots, but Toxa is swinging Mona around.

:kimchi:

And that is how Toxa's campaign really ends.

I have to make a little confession though. I made a slight edit in which order things got shown. Normally the this scene would be played right after
Toxa got his hopes crushed. And then the Credits would be playing now. But since the game sort of pulls the fake out itself,
I decided to be a little more elaborate around it.

So Toxa and Mona got their fairy tale ending. And I'm totally okey with that.
Because I'm a sucker for happy endings. As to what happens further in their lives, we don't get
to know. Which is a bit of a shame, considering how invested the player is in the characters.
At least I am.

There are a few plot threads lose, that might be covered in Lacryma's Final Chapter,
so I won't be commenting on them right now. But for now, everything looks like all has been settled.

Toxa Episode 36 Final Chapter 18 pt.3

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Ugh, these elves are such dicks. You're loving welcome, douchebags. I'll be sure to call on you next time I need an extra helping of condescension and gently caress-all else. GAWD. I do like Mona's sheepish grin at the end, though. It highlights a never-really-seen mischievous side, a last bit of character development. And hey, it's cool to see the characters got what they wanted. Some people found love, some found forgiveness, some found purpose... and some were just doing their job. We never actually learned much about Karis, but she still managed to be a pretty cool lady.

Onto other things! The music for the final battle is called Decisive Battle and it's really good! It's a remix of Saradiart's theme, but sped up and featuring more grandiose instrumentation. I remember it 'cuz it was the very first final boss theme I ever heard, and I thought it was pretty much the coolest. I even learned to play it on the piano. I was a really cool kid, you guys.

I'm not gonna lie, I thought it was impossible to get every Text in Toxa's quest. You've proven that it can be done! Not sure where that rogue Silk Text was, maybe there was a hidden barrel or too many of your Phantoms died in an early battle or something. Didn't make any real difference anyway. For the record, you can also make Novel weapons, not just armor. They suck really bad and aren't worth it.

For Lacryma's final battle, use Core Quake. Did I mention it in another post? I dunno, I've been awake for 22 hours. It's the game's most overpowered spell to go along with its most overpowered equipment. Pretty sure the formula is Quake + Star + End + World + Law. Which is actually a pretty ominous sequence, when you think about it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I was honestly kinda hoping he'd bust out some unique elf magic. Ah well :(

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Yeah. I know, It's just that I had played Toxa 18 before your post and it was in my backlog, (the rare instance of me actually having a backlog).
I could have replayed it to show off the last 3 World Tree Texts in Toxa's campaign but decided not to, as I'd have to play Toxa's map campaign again.
And because I'm lazy.
Besides it get's much better use in Lacryma's 18 due to the map layout.

Interestingly enough, even though the root word is Quake and it's named after earth spells the initial Kartia colors are blue, like a water Kartia.

For some reason I write Core Quake "Quake + Star + World + End + Law".
Shake the galaxy and end order! :black101:

Toxa's campaign end on a more personal note. What I mean to say is, that we learn that Toxa get's his just reward and that's it. Lacryma's campaign is going to give us a lot of answers
although some of those answers don't really make much sense. However, some of what happens in Lacryma's ending get's kind of foreshadowed in Toxa's campaign.

I was a lame rear end kid. You have no idea. The word nerd doesn't even begin to describe me, and not like cool kind of nerd where you make ton of cool poo poo for your fandom.

----

Also, I kind of want to just update the last chapter, so I can finally say I'm done with the LP. But I think there should be time for people to read the updates so things won't get too clustered.
Then I just have to clean up the index links, do some minor clean up here and there and then I can consider the LP done.
It's certainly not 100% comprehensive, but I'm more or less satisfied in it's execution.
I don't think there is any content I could cover in a bonus update, short of Phantom weapons, that would entail playing the game again and
I'm 100% not going to do that.
Looking back at the introduction I made to the game and the things we've learned in the game itself, I think it's astonishing how misrepresenting it is.
But I'll leave it as a testament to how the LP have changed. (Let's not forget the first 3 updates with the.. err... Awkward stretched images :v:)

I played with the thought of doing the last chapter for each character in a video format, but decided against it because this is a SSLP, and it would be awkward
if the format of the LP just changed in the middle of god drat no where.

Lastly, I've had a period where I was beginning to think about starting the next LP. Where I had the thought "Would people even want me to LP another game?".
Consequently I thought "If I do another LP and no one wants me to, wouldn't that just make me the Uwe Boll of LP'ing?"
Of course that's a rather terrifying thought, but all of you guy's and girl's positive words earlier dispelled that feeling.

In the end, it was rather silly to think that way, because LP'ing is just playing video games for the internet, and shouldn't be taken too seriously.
But it is also entertainment and if the LP doesn't entertain anyone, then it's just a waste of time.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Last I heard there were several Uwe Boll's Of LPing over on YouTube.

But in all seriousness, I enjoyed this. What are you considering for your next one? (Remember to link it here when you start it.)

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Because I like to be vague about things, I won't directly tell you until I actually start it.
What I can tell you is that it's going to be in a video format with commentary.
Since that's a new skill I'm picking up, expect a bit of wonky videos at the start until I get my bearings.
Hey, each LP'er have to have their trademark. Mine is rough starts. :colbert:
So hey, you'll have massive opportunities to argue about whatever video settings I used, that were the most terrible. :v:

It's also the best god drat PSP game by my own criteria and as far as I know, it hasn't been LP'd
on SA yet. (For reasons I cannot imagine.)

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 35 Final Chapter 18 pt.1

Lacryma's episode intro is similar to Toxa's

You have the map of Rebus, while the camera slowly zooms out as all the other episode intro's fade slightly in and out.

Once again, we're at a journeys end. Let's get to it.

... Is that who I think it is? No way. Just... :psyduck: WHAT IS HE DOING HERE?
I guess it's a testament to Beltschumeltz power in Pentagram. He can have a criminal
running around lose with nobody asking questions.

Big flapping noises can suddenly be heard. You also make out something that almost sounds like "Objection!" but you're not entirely sure.

Arrive to the boss fight on dragon back? 150 style points.

"Only God can do that."
"Why do you support the Rebels?"
"You're our servant... You shouldn't doubt the existence of God. If i can get the answer, then all of my questions will be solved."
Err.. What? Obviously getting answers will solve questions. That's kind of the essence of answers. I'll just chalk it up to crazy priest talk.
"Your words are as empty as your soul! Mankind ill needs a savior such as you"
"You are not a Cardinal... You're just a heathen who hurts people."
"What is a man? Glass shatters A miserable little pile of secrets."
"I'm the divine authority here! I'm here to prove the existence of God! Zakuro, kill them!"
Why should I even remotely consider Zakuro a threat? We kicked his rear end several times by now. Come on game :colbert:

:allears: Troy is the best character.

Beltschumeltz is stalking God and he/she just doesn't want to pick up the phone. Maybe God doesn't want to talk to you Beltschumeltz, did you think of that? Huh?

"Everyone must make sacrifices. This is nothing."
I'm happy you feel that way, because I'm about to sacrifice you. :black101:
"This is nothing!? We will never allow you to create the "Heaven" of Eden!"
"Fools! This is God's will!"
Rapidly approaching cliche final villain territory. Ah wait, we're already here. :(

:siren:MUSIC:It Has To Be This Way:siren:
Wait hold up, that's not a track in Kartia let me just... Now where did I put the disk?

:siren:MUSIC:Decisive Battle:siren:
You should give this a listen.

This is it. The final battle in the LP.

Despite having two human bosses this final battle is even easier than Toxa's Chapter 18 battle.

Before we get too into our surroundings, I've just got to show off our Kartia collection once again.

I'm missing the same Silk Text as Toxa's list. Oh well

But other than that one Text I have every other Text. Lacryma's 18 doesn't feature such bullshit as burried Text.

Each corner have a special ground tile we haven't seen before named Recovery. I assume it's going to heal any units standing on it. But
I've never actually seen it in action.

Right down the middle of the map, we have these unfortunate souls who had the grim fate of standing in our way.

All the way in the back, we have Beltschumeltz himself. Equipped with a spear. Good job nimrod. Everyone of your units is equipped with swords, except for you.

Even Zakuro the giant gently caress up knows how choose proper equipment.

So Beltschumeltz have absolutely ridonkulous elemental resistances. He is effectively immune to all magic save for one spell.

Zakuro is a chump and I refuse to give him more attention than that. :colbert:

"Where the gently caress are my Dragons?"
:stare: Whoops, sorry Daenerys

Here you go.

The final hidden spell of the game is Core Quake. As someone mentioned in the thread, it's a combination of Quake + Star + World + End + Law.
Since it's a 5 Kartia spell only Lacryma and Troy can cast it. But it is also the highest damaging spell in the game. It will completely gently caress anything over that isn't a final boss.

It's also weird in that it's root word is earth elemental, but the actual casting color is that of a water spell. I didn't bother check whether it did Water damage or Earth damage.

It's not that visually interesting though.

Doll Dragons get's instantly wiped out by it.

Everything else takes a good bit of damage.

Fyni actually take around 40 ish damage. But my Dragons had spat on them earlier.

So the game ends as it began. Me spamming wide area high damaging Earth Spells.

Oh and Troy hit lvl 20.

Takeru Thunder only just barely managed double digit damage on the Fyni

Zakuro is beginning to enter the fray though. I wonder what will happen?

Lacryma only ever arrests someone once. :colbert: So yeah. Zakuro got one shottet by Core Quake. :getout: and stay out.

Yeah, Beltschumeltz only took 6 damage from a 170 damage spell. Just loving don't use Kartia against him okey?
Works wonders on all his Phantoms though. :v:

The real approach to dealing with Beltschumeltz is beating the poo poo out of him with Physical attacks. He has way less defense than Saradiart does (This is Episode 35 so Saradiart isn't dead yet :v:).
He does employ the same tactic but with him using a Dream Spear instead of a Dream Katana he just deals no counter attack damage.

You can also pelt him with Dragon fire. Since it's indirect attacks he cannot counter and thus cannot heal with his weapon.

This is it!

Get out of here you tacked on cliche villain. This game has better writing than you.

Just look at that massive Kartia surplus. Even without the Chapter 2 Chest I'd still have a ton of Kartia.
And bear in mind, I've been using a lot of magic. The only place I've been skimpish on using Kartia is equipment.
But that's because making stuff is kind of tedious.

gently caress yeah. We're finally done. The LP is over!
I want to thank everyone who partici- Wait hold on. Ending? Oh yeah.
The game probably has that. Wouldn't do to skip that.
Alright. One more update.

Lacryma Episode 35 Final Chapter 18 pt.1

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 35 Final Chapter 18 pt.2

So that battle was a thing that happened. I don't see how an old priest and an early game boss could possibly be equal to a magic bullshit half-elf. But there you go.

"I think he was afraid... He probably felt his path was hollow."
"But everything is over now."
"We preserved the Original."

"If the "Heaven" and "Earth" Kartia were used, what would happen?"
"Why don't you try it?"

"What next? Are you waiting for your father?"
"I'd like to, but I'm concerned about Alana..."
"Then let's go! Let's go back to Nordia!"
"But the Dragons went away."
"Look! What's-his-face is moving!"
:allears: I really like when characters make fun of stupid names like Beltschumeltz.

"Bad guys are persistent."

God damnit Beltschumeltz, could you tone down the clicheness?

He just went complete wacko. And not in a Kefka sort of way

Too late. It has begun.

I think we've all seen this somewhere before.

After giving us a final middle finger Beltschumeltz keels over.

And disappears.

This is a bit odd. Why does Beltschumeltz have Original "Earth" when the plan was for Raguruzet to create "Earth"?
Maybe it was Beltschumeltz job to create the Original and he just didn't bother to give it to Raguruzet yet?
Anyways this is the Original they made from Saradiarts arm.

"That idiot! He created Eden..."
"Eden?"
"It's getting bigger!"
"Huge... It's so huge..."

Eden's shadow falls over the party. Interesting question. Would Eden be large enough to envelop the Cathedral in total darkness? :eng101:

"I think so..."
"What should we do?"

"Troy, you're a genius. Don't give up! There has to be a way to stop it!"
"Impossible... Once the Kartia activated, there's no way to stop it."

Come on Troy, this is your time to shine!

Lacryma isn't actually saying this out loud. She is kind of muttering to herself.

"The first Eden fell because they only used the "Earth" Kartia..."
"So if both were used, then Eden won't fall?"
"It's a possibility... I'm going to try it."
Didn't they also specifically say that both Kartias had to be used at the same time? Well it's better to try and fail than do nothing and die with certainty Is suppose.

"But why you!?"
"Because I find you all insufferable and this is my exit strategy. I'm the best with Kartia here. This is the perfect way for me to die!"
"This isn't like you..."
"I feel the same way."

"You don't need to use it..."

It's finally time for O.G "Nothingness".

"Wait! That's the... No, Lacryma, don't do it!"

Behold. The terrifying power of the Original "Nothingness" Kartia!

A giant loving explosion! That's a lot more "something" than "nothing". :colbert:

It's also just a recolor of Absolute Zero.

"I used the Original "Nothingness" Kartia..."
"You know what's going to happen!?"
"You're going to die like your mother!"
A little late to berate her, considering there's no take backs when using Kartia.

Well... We all know what that means.

"Yes, I'm an idiot... Just like you..."
"Lacryma..."
Well Troy were ready to do exactly the same as Lacryma just did.

"Ele, don't make your father sad anymore..."
"Lacryma..."

"Kun, thank you for everything. I've always..."
"Why do you always have to suffer like this? Why!?"
"I love your kindness... Please don't change..."
"Lacryma..."

And then Lacryma disappears

And so, Lacryma finally fulfilled her destiny as the savior of Rebus as was her fate.
But prophesy like all stories have an end. But life continues on... At least until the heat death of the universe. :v:

"Where am I? Where is everyone?"
"I've never been here, yet it seems familiar..."

"It looks like Original Text... But it's not a Divine Text, it's in ordinary letters."

Holy poo poo. It turns out that using an Original doesn't actually kill you, it just sends you to this place.
It's perfect. There are no way to communicate with Rebus once you're here so you can't tell people that using Originals doesn't kill you.
And you're obviously going to assume people die when they disappear after using it.

That of course also means that Bachstail is alive. The question that remains unanswered by the game is. Why is Lacryma's mother dead?
I can only make vague guesses, and it doesn't really fit too well. Did she get killed by the Elves? Then why leave a tombstone like that?
Wild Phantoms? Then who left the note? The only time Shell could be killed by Wild Phantoms would be before she got in touch with the Elves.
Besides we already know that the Elves did make contact with Shell. It was mentioned in Toxa 16 rather clumsily.

My best guess would then be that Shell encountered the alien hatred in the Elven world that Saradiart and Mona encountered in the human world.
And I would imagine that is why the Elven Elder didn't allow Toxa to come to the Elven world, because he'd already seen what would happen.
That's what makes the most amount of sense, I think, but it's left open and it's a lot of speculation.

:allears: No matter what world you're in, there's always room for googley eyes.

"I'm here because I used an Original."
Oh by the way. I guess we have to unR.I.P Bachstail.

"This is Eden? Why are we here?"
"I don't think that the price of using an Original is death."
"Then we're not dead?"
"That's right. I sensed the true source of Kartia power when I came here."
"True source?"
"Look at that."

"But Phantoms are created by Kartia."

"I guess someone in Rebus created a Kyau... And the Kyau in Eden vanished."
Basically Kartia is summoning magic. The Text you use determines what you summon. Sort of like googling.

There is a key difference between Kartia magic and summon magic from other games. But we'll get to that in a bit.

"Did you kill Beltshumeltz?"
"Yes... But Lacryma..."
"What happened?"
"Lacryma used an Original to erase the Eden the Cardinal created."
"Used an Original!? Then Lacryma..."
"Vanished..."

"Forgive me... I couldn't save her..."
"It's not your fault! I should've known better. I should've known it..."
"No, It's all my fault! I should have taken the Original from her!"
And what Ele? Get squashed by Eden? :colbert:

Is that another Original? Wow... 3 Originals in one update.

"Kainas, it's the Text I gave you, right? The "Human" Text. Please give it to me!"

"That's right!"
I can't believe that Troy had to remind Kainas that he could use the "Human" Original to "revive" Lacryma instead of Shell. That's kind of silly.
"But the user will vanish. Who's going to create Lacryma?"

"Shut up! It's dad time!"

"The light! You used the Original! Why!?"
Are you asking why a parent would sacrifice themselves for their child? Really Troy? Any decent parent would.

And Kainas vanishes.

"SURPRISE DAD TIME!"

"Kainas? When I was a child, I met you once."
"You are..."
"My name is Bachstail. Because of you, I became a Shrine Warrior and eventually an Inquirer. It's nice to meet you."
"Yeah, whatever. I'm here for my daughter. Outta my way fan boy."
"Is this Eden? Did you come here by using an Original?"
"Yes."

"It seems that Rebus and Eden are related."
"Kartia is the transferring tool."
"And the Original brings people from Rebus to Eden..."
In addition to whatever effect the Original also has. It's kind of curious that way. Is it just a unintentional sideeffect?
Or was that function on purpose?

"It seems that way..."
"This is a problem..."
"Yes."

"Using Kartia will eventually dry out Eden. Which may lead to destruction on Rebus."
And here it is. The giant "Don't misuse the environment" message. Well it is a 90's game. Anyways why this happens is because what gets summoned to Rebus, stays in Rebus.
It doesn't automatically return to Eden. Kind of... Puts things in perspective doesn't it?
We've been summoning the creatures of Eden to fight our battles and die in them.
Once they've served their purpose we destroyed them for better creatures.
I feel like such a horrible person now.

There is something I can't quite make sense off. How does magic work then? Is there like Elven wizards just casting all the spells all the time and when they fizzle it's because we stole the spell right out of their hands?

The real problem is that Rebus doesn't have any infrastructure to provide water. It's still a dick move to steal all of a worlds water.
And that ties into why Elves sort of hate humans. The thing is most humans don't know the true nature of Kartia. So instead of the Elves explaining why
we should stop using it they just tell us to stop.
Imagine if someone told you on the street to stop eating chocolate forever. You'd tell him to piss off.
But if he told you that it had terrible side effects then... Well you'd still tell him to piss off because chocolate is that good. :v:
You get my point. The Elves have a partial responsibility in their own suffering and they're doing pretty much nothing but hate humans for it.
Friggin' Elves :argh:

"But people can't live without Kartia..."
"Then Rebus and Eden will die out..."
"We came here using an Original. Then there should be a way to transfer things from Rebus to Eden."
"So we can send water and fire from Rebus to Eden... But how?"
"Kainas, I would like to find a way. I would like your help."
"I'm all yours."

That Original took it's sweet time to kick in.

"This is good bye... Take care..."
"No, I finally found you! Why!?"
"I have made you suffer. The only thing I can do is send you back. Please forgive me."
"I want to be with you, father!"
"You must go back. Go back to Vigilance and your friends."
"Bach! Stop the light!"
"Good bye... Kun is waiting for you."

And then Lacryma is gone.

"Peace between Rebus and Eden... I'd like to believe that."
"Let's go..."
"Ok."
And that is the last we see of Bachstail and Kainas.

"Are you Ok?"
"Is everything Ok?"

Troy have broken out the drinking mugs. gently caress yeah, we saved the world. Let's get drunk!

"Lacryma, your father is..."
"Don't worry, my father is in Eden."
"In Eden!?"

That's not entirely correct... You can't use regular Kartia to bring over a person... Yet. But who knows humans can be pretty good about solving such problems.

"Transfer things from Rebus to Eden?"
"So the Phantoms are living in Eden?"

"This is lovely! You never get this much excitement!"
"I was getting worried because you didn't come back."
"I see... You didn't trust Lacryma."
"That's not what I meant!"

And everything is back to normal. Except Lacryma is happier. Which is a good thing.

And this is finally the end. The credits roll here again. But eh gently caress it, I already posted them once.

Instead, have this tree of :3:

As for what happens to the rest of the party, is unknown to us. But as it stands right now. The story is over.

Lacryma Episode 35 Final Chapter 18 pt.2
---
So that's it. We can finally close the book on Legend of Kartia. It's been a long ride.
Not the longest ride, but I have been updating rather frequently, to keep the pace.

I'll just share a few of my thoughts about the game. First of I want to say that I really liked
Saradiart as a villain. Not only was he actually a believable threat but the way we dealt with him
wasn't just "go super sayan" or "Get stronger than him". Mona played a key part in his defeat and
that makes her a more active Damsel-in-Distress.

On the flip coin, I think that Lacryma's final encounter fell kind of short. Beltschumeltz were
poorly foreshadowed. And he didn't really hold a connection to the Lacryma's party.
That is kind of the weak point to Lacryma's story though, in that she has terrible villains.
But her story is way better at world building and we really learn a lot about how Rebus works.
Something that Toxa's story barely even touches upon.

The LP sort of moved into a "I'll play it so you don't have to" territory. The game play
is really the game's weakest point. But that said I did enjoy it the first time through.
Would I recommend playing it to someone else? Only if they hadn't played the game before or read the LP.
And even then it should probably be said that they should alternate between characters.

LP CREDITS:
Me, obviously. Let's be proffesional about this.
Sazero: For doing the LP.
EggsAisle: For uploading a bunch of missing Kartia tracks, and for posting a bunch of useful information I might have missed. And posting music links when I couldn't be arsed to. :v: Thanks dude.
baldurk: For lpix and possibly other things I've used that I'm not immediately aware of.
Whomever uploaded the actual Kartia OST to youtube. I realize you might not be reading this, but I'm just being thorough. :v:
The posters that pointed out my various oversights and errors. You know who you are you bunch of whine- *ahem* :haw:
And credits to everyone I forgot who probably deserve it. If I forgot. I'm sorry.

Tune in next time, when I'll finally reveal my next LP. Which won't be today because Jesus Christ I spent like 4 hours writing this update. :v:

Sazero fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Aug 16, 2015

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Well I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game more, but thanks for doing the LP and showing this game off in such great detail. It was a pleasure to read it.

AngryOlScotchCup
Dec 6, 2008

Looking down, watching the world's progress.

Sazero posted:

[img]http://lpix.org/2176931/capture_383_14082015_194842.png[/img

You've got a broken tag here. Also, thanks for the LP, I wasn't expecting the game to be this long and involved.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh so that's where the FMA anime got its idea for the Gate :haw:

Jokes aside, I can see why they split this part into two endings, even if the split is a bit schizophrenic. I totally agree with your verdict. I wish the reveal about Eden came like middway through the game though.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

*fixed*

Also I completely forgot to complain about all the filler! I still can't get over the filler in Toxa's 17! :argh:
I guess that's a side effect of stretching a game that could be completed in a weekend over several months. :v:

*edit* also finally fixed the index. That only took me... Way too long :cripes:

Sazero fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Aug 16, 2015

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Thanks for doing the LP. Kartia has a decent story, too bad the game-play is mind-boogling easy.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
And that's a wrap!

Your thoughts on the game are pretty right-on, though I would add that one of my favorite aspects to the game's writing is its characters. I think the writing team did a really good job making them believable and memorable, which is not something to take for granted in a jRPG (yeah, I know it's not a jRPG as such, but close enough.) You are absolutely correct that Toxa's quest had the better villain- I liked the Cross/Asty rivalry too, and wish they had done more with it. The closest Lacryma has to a recurring rival is Zakuro, which is evil in a whole other sense...

Your new avatar is perfect! True story, I was gonna buy you that exact one. It's so wonderfully deranged. Guess you beat me to the punch, though. Congrats on finishing your first LP! I really like your style, and I'm sure you'll continue to learn and improve. Just look at the beginning of this LP compared to the end.

And you are quite welcome. Thank you, actually, for doing such a good LP on a mostly unknown game. It has its missteps, to say the least, but it has some strengths too, and I'm glad you were able to recognize them and give people a chance to appreciate some of the things Kartia did right. I wish you the best of luck with your next project- I'll of course be keeping my eyes open for it.
:)

EDIT: Dumb typo

EggsAisle fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 18, 2015

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

This was good, at least in the end. Thanks for doing it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Both kind of weird swerves in the end. ...also, shouldn't that crazy high priest be running around in Eden somewhere?

I kind of can't believe what Mona pulled there. From how I'm reading things the Old Elf was pretty much just "well, it's her choice where to go" and Mona's like "I should be with my brother in the hard times" and then she pops up afterwards all "haha he's got a clone with an 'IOU 1 Mona' poo poo on" which, well, kind of a dick move for San though he is certainly owed some dick moves.

Thank you for playing this game so we didn't have to. It deserves to be recorded for posterity.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Thank you all for the kinds words.
And I'm not disappearing I'm just working out some technical difficulties for the next LP.
Or rather, I'm working up the effort to work out some technical difficulties. And... well I've also been side tracked by Shadowrun: Hong Kong.

I figured getting a new avatar after the LP was done, could be some sort of merit badge. So I sprung for it. Thanks for the idea though.

It's possible Beltschumeltz is running around in Eden, but he was standing on his last legs when he used the Original.
Though technically his corpse should be there. It's a possible oversight.

Mona probably already did the whole clone herself thing when no one was looking before meeting with the Old Elf.
It wouldn't be unreasonable for her to fear being forced back so she sprung to action.
But even she knew the Old Elf were amenable, she was still conflicted between caring for San and living with Toxa.
Either way the "clone" of Mona isn't any less Mona than her original body. It's not like it was a temporary fake.

I'll be posting in this thread, and in the new LP thread when I'm done kidding around and actually ready to start a new LP.
Which could take a few more days. Gotta rest on them laurels.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Soon (tm) Mwuhuhuhahahahaha.
Well I say soon, but I still have to encode and upload. Hopefully encoding won't screw me over and I have to go through more arcane video editing bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

:siren:Check out the new LP of Dissidia Final Fantasy 012

• Locked thread