Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

The classiest crazy bullshit magic Half-Elf, you'll ever meet.
We didn't get any new Grammar, which is what updates our spell list. I went over it quite a while ago. I don't blame you, as it really isn't all that important, considering my extensive abuse of the "Mix" command.
Grammar and Licenses are pretty much interchangeable, except I prefer the former, so I don't get reminded of Final Fantasy 12's ludicrous progression system.

"You can't wear this hat, because you don't have the license for it!"
"But I'm a sky pirate. You know, an outlaw?"
"No means no. Breaking the law is one thing, but not adhering to stupid bureaucratic rules? What are you? A pirate?"
"Yes."
"Well suck it up."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It might be interesting if Grammar boosted the damage of spells we were freely casting before.

I mean, that's how I'd work FF12. When you equip an item with no license you lose a fraction of its stats or downgrade its special ability.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

FF12 is a flawed game to begin with. To a point where I wouldn't even call it a game.
And as much as I'd like to point out the numerous flaws with the game, this isn't the time or place.
I have a half arsed LP to run after all, and my time is much too precious. :v:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 9 Chapter 5 pt.2

We return to fight some bandits. Posha was scared, but Toxa did a thing and now she isn't.
The combat itself isn't anything new or revolutionary either, so let's just get through the motions.

This time around where somewhere north of Kainas and to the west of Shinon Estate.

The stage itself isn't all the revolutionary. It does feature water but it might as well just be a huge impassable boulder.

We start on a little island cut off by this small river. It doesn't slow us down, or change our elemental resistances, or make our attacks worse either.
So small rivers like this does pretty much nothing at all.

Our opposition is still somewhat in tutorial land, 3 Morderes and a lovely Golem? They are all Doll-type too.

To our direct north is a similar formation of 3 Morderes and a lovely Golem. They're also all Shadow-type.
However the main difference is the terrain they're standing in. The tall grass will actually impede movement to a crawl.

The main attraction is all these god drat thieves. The group talked about which one of them could summon Phantoms so as to make them your priority target.
However tactics in Kartia always boils down to "Inflict or kill as many enemies you can as safely as possible, to gain a numeral advantage, to brute force whatever gimmick there are."
Also only one of the thieves can summon Phantoms. So it's largely not a problem at all.

That said we've come to a point where we can trivialize any physical aspect of combat. At least for a good while.
Why is that? Because we can finally take advantage of Toxa's B ranks. :getin:

This is Toxa right now. 21 Defense is pretty good. It's the highest of any of our characters so far. But you know what? We can do better.
Let's just strait up more than double his defense.

BOOM. 45 Defence. Toxa is immune to physical attacks from enemies in this stage. The golems? Won't hurt him. The Morderes? Nope. He is the tank he was meant to be.

So let's talk about equipment creation (again). See this Bastard Sword? It's only C rank here. So you might wonder why Toxa's Bastard Sword is B rank.
Well equipment can change rank if you create them at a certain +number.

Bastard Sword +1 is still C rank but at +2 and above it changes to B rank.
There is no rhyme or reason as to when an item changes it's rank except if it does, it always does.
The Wooden Sword will always be a D rank even at +4.

Additionally an item cannot reach a higher +number than 4. I could in theory have a Bastard Sword +5, as I had a Silk Text going +2 and a Mithril Text going +3.
But there is a hard cap at +4. Stop limiting my game breaking efforts, game! :argh:

In a more optimal run, I'd start out the game by doing +3 Stone Armors, skip Iron Armor entirely and wait until Big Armor for Toxa.
The "Big" Text is just, such a good text.

It also sort of looks like samurai armor, which is odd because I think Samurai armor were made of porcelain and silk?
Good against Katana's apparently, but any sort of axe or hammer type weapon would just break it into little bits.

I split my group into two parts, and due to my tactical ineptitude I move my largest force North through the tall grass, slowing them down.
The thieves are also more likely to move south, so I should have sent more muscle that way. But it all worked out in the end.

Also, this map takes me like 10 turns so I'll be brief.

I'll be feeding kills to Posha and Misty, as they're the weakest members of my party and if they fall behind, it's gonna be harder to get them up to speed.

Kartia AI is... really loving weird man. It has a raging hate boner for Kyaus. It will ignore humans to go straight for Kyaus.

It will also attack an invulnerable target, even though it has better targets to attack. It could have attacked my phantoms instead of Toxa.

I wasn't lying when I said Toxa won't be taking physical damage.

As an addendum to Kartia, any spells or equipment you enhance to a +number with any unique properties will also have those properties enhanced as well as the base properties.

Demonstrated here. 3 Extra damage isn't worth it so I just cast the base spell.

Ah, now we're finally getting somewhere with the spell animations. It certainly looks closer to a lightning strike than some of modern day depictions of arcing lightning.

So what I said about the giant lake in the middle being impassable? That was a lie. You can use Ice Spells on water to freeze it and allow your characters to move on water.
Kyau's cannot move on water at all, so it was sort of trapped. Be careful though. If you're on water you cannot pass normally, a stray enemy fire spell can melt the ice you stand on to cause INSTANT DEATH to that character.

As I mentioned earlier, the thieves are more likely to move south, so I really should have another human character go with Alana and Posha.

See? It hates my Kyau. It dodged the attack this time. But will it survive any more?

I'm starting to think that my Kyau, somehow scorned the game, and the game is a woman.

It didn't die though, and I show the game how you cast Earth spells.

If you can't kill something by throwing a god drat Earthquake at it, then kill it with fire. That always works.

If Fire fails you, try better fire. Like Fire +4. Also holy poo poo, my Kyau still isn't dead yet.
Now I'm starting to get a little afraid of the drat monster. What have I done? What have I created?

I moved the Kyau away, because even I know not to press my luck. The game decides to set Posha on fire. Can't really blame it for that.
Posha takes 43 damage. :sigh: Posha you get out done, by a god drat Kyau.

There really isn't any more to say here, standard grab everything that isn't nailed down and then murder the people.
I'd show you the Texts I got, but at this point I don't particularly care and I suspect, neither do you. More text = more better, that's pretty much the gist of it.

But at least we can have some fireworks to look at.

Posha is only a level or two behind the rest of the party, but even so she is really incredibly weak.

And that's a wrap.

"Then let the knights take care of the rest."
"I wonder how the other group is doing..."
Okey Misty, that really didn't need an ellipses, just loving punctuate your sentences like everyone else. :argh:
"They'll be fine. They have Lacryma in the group. Right, Posha?"
"Yeah, They have Lacryma..."

I lost 5 Phantoms. My LP is starting to look like an Xcom game. Not sure if it's worse to use what is essentially babies to fight my battles, considering my Phantoms are newly born created creatures.

"The Knights have returned. It sounds like they are in some sort of trouble."
"It doesn't sound good..."

Rimzan rushes into the room

"Is Lacryma or Duran here!?"
"They are both inside the Shrine, sir..."

Duran and another man carries a third wounded man onto the table.

Yes, they just walk up onto their GIGANTIC TABLE and lays a man on it, with plenty of room to spare. :v:

"I'll apply an emergency treatment... I'm not sure if this will work, but..."

Alana casts Rare Medicine, which heals 60 hp, well over half a persons vitality.

Should be no problem, we've already seen healing magic works in cutscenes.

It of course doesn't work. It makes me question as to how severe wounds have to be for Kartia to stop working on a person.
The nature of how healing Kartia works is not explained either.

It's interesting to note that Rimzan didn't call for Posha at first considering her only skill is healing.

"But I..."
"Take a look at him..."

Posha moves up to the wounded man and takes a look.

"I'm sorry, he's not..."
"Can't you do something!?"

Lacryma and Duran finally arrives

"It seems like it went all the way down to the bone... Duran, assist me."
"Sure..."

And now the game has transformed into Trauma Center.

"Lacryma, what are you going to do?"
"I'll do the surgery."
"You're going to do the surgery right here? Now?"
"I want all the Knights to get out of here!"

Let's check the state of our patient.

He is poisoned AND stabbed. Holy poo poo if this were real medieval life, he'd be super dead.
At least he doesn't have super Ebola HIV cancer, that somehow incorporates all the traits of every known disease and virus.
Legend of Kartia, less ridiculous than Trauma Center. :v:

"I'm going to place a stone in the broken blood vessel. Rimzan, will you have everyone who can use Kartia make as much blood as possible?"

Alright, real talk. I'm not a medical professional, but I did have several first aid courses. Placing a stone, or solid object into a blood vessel to stop the bleeding
is a real technique that you as a first aider can use. But it's only a stop gap measure until you get the wounded person to a hospital to receive real medical attention.
It's NOT the end treatment. Not that I suspect Doctor Lacryma to just stop his arteries with rocks and call it a day.

All the Knights leave the room, leaving Duran, Alana, Lacryma, Misty and Posha in the room.

First Aid 102 - Psychological First Aid. Turns out being severely injured is a rather shocking experience for most people.
Not everyone can take a sword to the stomach and laugh like a Sephiroth reject. Talking to injured people is a way to help prevent
against chok. It's something so easy you literally require no training to do it, just talk about whatever. There are numerous benefits in doing so.
But this isn't the thread for First Aid. But I'm pointing out that's what Alana is doing.

"Assam, hang in there! Don't give up!"
Assam "Y-yes, mother..."
"Alana, are you ready? Give me the Fire Kartia."

Breaking news: Posha wants to be like Lacryma. That fact really gets hammered home here.

Or does she? I'm a little unsure.

And so the circle continues. Posha is obsessing about being like Lacryma, but she also questions herself as to why.
She then begins almost chanting these words. That just makes me think that all those reasons she is saying, is none of the real answers.

Sitting in the corner of a dark room, self absorbed in their own misery, yeah things are totally okay here.

Posha doesn't answer

"I can't be like Lacryma"
"What, Posha? What did you say?"
"Lacryma is strong and kind. She's an excellent Shrine Warrior... Compared to her, I'm such a..."

Awkward pause.

"I told myself that if I work hard, I can be like Lacryma... But if I can't even do that, then there is no reason for me to be in Vigilance..."

Another Awkward pause. Then Alana sits down next to Posha.

"Why?"
"Because you are good with a sword and Kartia..."
"So?"
"I'm slow, not intelligent, I don't have any courage... I'm nothing..."

"What...?"
"Just staying in Vigilance will not make you strong..."
"As long as you think in that way, you should leave. Go back to your parents... That's probably best for you."

"What exactly do you want to do, Posha?"
"I want to change... I want to be different..."

"The first thing you should do is believe in yourself."
"Believe in myself?"
"Do everything with a positive state of mind. Take action with confidence."
"How do I do that?"

"What!?"
"Please, cut my hair!"
"P-P-Posha, wait... That was only an example. Nowadays, cutting your hair is like..."
Like what exactly? No really, I want to know.

"Please, if I miss this moment, I feel like I will be like this forever... I want to change right now!"
"You're a Shrine Medium. You know what it means by cutting your hair?"
"I won't regret it..."
"Are you sure about this?"
"No
"But thou must"
"Yes!"

I don't think Shrine Mediums will ever be brought up again. I can only imagine it as people who play children's card games with ghosts.

The next day the world imploded into a black hole. THE END.

Alana waves
Toxa waves back

"Good morning, Alana. Good job yesterday."
"Well... I'm not going to eat any red meat for a while, that's for sure."
"You can say that again."
Nothing will stop me from devouring roast beef sandwiches. :colbert:

"Alana, why don't you get some more rest..."
"Speak for yourself, Duran. Don't worry, I'm fine."

Alana remembers that Misty exists and waves at her.

"Good morning, Misty."

Misty ellipsis waves back. However that works out.

"Good Morning..."

"We are supposed to disrupt the thieves activities in the mountains."
"It's going to be a long walk."

The murder mission discussion gets cut short by Posha's arrival.

Everyone seems to be interested. If only people cared for me when I cut my hair :(
Also gently caress you Posha, for getting a new portrait at the end of an update, now I have MORE work to do. :argh:

Eh, gently caress it. "No"+"Effort"+"Late" - Sazero casts Procrastination.
... I'm such a nerd.

"No, not at all. You look good with short hair. Don't you think so?"
"Yes, it's really pretty..."

Isn't that what you've been wanting this whole time?

Seems like Alana has some experience trying to be like Lacryma.

It's fine to have a hero to look up to and wanting to be like. But if you forget to be yourself, then you'll be nothing more than an
imitation. Imitations will never be greater than originals. At best, they can only be equal.

Posha's issues haven't really been dealt with, but rather postponed. Still, at least she isn't moping around anymore. So that's something.

:siren:I'm holding a vote again. Do you want me to do Toxa's next chapter, or Lacryma's?:siren:
It's not because I don't want to do Toxa's chapter, but because I can see merit in doing Lacryma's next chapter.
Same rules as last time. Bold your vote and the first to reach 3 votes wins.

Toxa's next chapter will feature him being a huge jerk.
Lacryma's next chapter will feature a pissed of Lacryma.

Toxa Episode 9 Chapter 5 pt.2 END

BumSCL
Nov 5, 2012
Gonna say go with Lacryma.

Mostly cause she's a far more interesting character then Toxa is.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

BumSCL posted:

Gonna say go with Lacryma.

Mostly cause she's a far more interesting character then Toxa is.

Have to agree with this, pretty much. Also I want to see how Posha shakes out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm going to vote for Toxa just to be contrary.

Mercurial
Mar 28, 2006

Elixirs are expensive, you know.
Toxa again!

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Gonna need a tiebreaker in here.

I'd flip a coin, but I haven't seen cash since 2012. I pay exclusively with plastic. It's not an effort to save any rainforests or an attempt to foil would be robbers and thieves.
I'm just so incredibly lazy that I try to not to carry that 200g around if I don't need to.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Lacryma

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 10 Chapter 5. pt.1 NOPE

DELAYED. BECAUSE I*M A GOD drat IDIOT AND DIDN'T UNCHECK THE drat MOUSE CURSOR OPTION IN IRFANVIEW. :argh:

:argh:

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 10 Chapter 5 pt.1

Once again, leave it to Lacryma's story to build the world for us.

I'm sure they just forgot about you Ele. Wait that's not actually comforting is it?

"I don't trust Bachstail!"
"We need man-power, not trust."

But what if Bachstail backstabs you at the most inoppertune moment?
He could be a most terrible spy and then you'd just have given the enemy an advantage
just by bringing Bachstail.

"If Lacryma uses the power, I wouldn't min not having Bachstail in the group."
Troy is of course talking about Lacryma's magical girl ability to create Phantoms. She can create Phantoms, but her religion forbids it.

"Troy is right. This is not like you."
"I'm sorry..."
"Then I'm in. Just don't be mean to me."

Well. That's settled I guess. Moving right along.

Some other room in Vigilance HQ.

I can really appreciate a character not wanting any of this drama poo poo and then subtly manipulate characters to stop being drama queens.
I wish I had that skill :sigh:

"I thought you two were good friends?"
"We're going to war. I don't want to die."
"What about Alana? She can create Phantoms."
"That's not for you to decide. Rimzan has his reasons."
Rimzan should have known that Toxa would reach critical tank mass and become unstoppable. :v: I didn't need Alana in Toxa's chapter as much as it made things faster and easier.
"I know, but..."
"Bachstail can fight. He will be of great help."

Flashback time!

"We better send her to her parents before we get into serious trouble..."
"Her parents asked me to take care of her. I will look after her."
Sounds like Posha's parents just pawed off Posha to Vigilance.
"What are you going to do when she's in danger? Don't tell me you'll put yourself in danger just to protect her."
"I don't see why that would be wrong..."

Sounds like I have to revise my characterization of Troy. Sounds like he really is in love with Lacryma. Like god drat everyone else.

"What?"
"Nothing."

How is that even a comeback? Bachstail you're the worst at bantering. :downs:

Kun leaves.

I guess Bachstail knew Lacryma from before she was ordained to Shrine Warrior.

And speaking of mice. Hello Ele.

That is the shittiest sword I have ever seen. No really. It is.

I don't see how the title has relevance to... anything happening here in this chapter.

This looks oddly familiar. It's basically the same map as Toxa Chapter 5, with slightly different details.

"That was too easy. Troy, did you check the enemy?"
"I didn't see Zakuro, but I recognized six of them."
is it because all the thieves share the god drat same sprite?
"This means Misty can be trusted. I feel better."

Troy sounds exactly like a character who trusts information from strangers he doesn't know, who doesn't want to talk about their pasts or why they know what they do.:rolleyes:

Let's reiterate the plan, just in case you forgot because it's super important.

"I hope Posha is Ok."
"Alana, Duran, and Toxa are there. I trust them."
Toxa seems like a decent guy. Until his next chapter. But that's in the future, so let's focus on the here and now.

"You're awfully fond of him."
"He complimented her yesterday..."
"Did you say something, Kun?"
"What? Oh, nothing."
I find it hilarious that Lacryma is in a group that consists of her ex-boyfriend/fiance, and two friend zoned guys.
"You're just jealous."
"Shut up, Troy."
"Yeah, yeah..."

It doesn't matter that we're horrendiously outnumbered, and we'll probably die a terrible death.
Because at the end of the day, we can say we tried our best! :v:

"No, 5 people."
"5 Metal Gears!?" people?"

OH MY GOD, THE PLOT TWIST. Oh wait it's just Ele. Nevermind.

"Wait a minute. What is she doing here?"
"Watch your mouth! Is that how you talk to a lady!?"
"You idiot! A lady wouldn't have come here."

The Shrine Bells can be heard.

"We have to move... Troy, take care of her..."
"First Posha and now this? I hate baby-sitting!"
"Kill as many thieves as possible but don't chase them too far."
"I can't if I'm watching her!"
"You're so rude... Are you and educated man?"
"One more word and I'll leave you here!"
Yes Ele, question the mans education when he can drop sky-dragon slaying moon eyes. That will work well for you.

Kun tries to be Troy.

Kun rolled 1 on the difficulty check on being Troy. CRITICAL FAILURE

Kun losses 3 self esteem points.

Next time, we will get an answer to a question I wished no one would ever ask.

Lacryma Episode 10 Chapter 5 pt.1 END

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 10 Chapter 5 pt.2

So today we'll be fighting around a pond... Again.

This time though, we're fighting near the southern pond instead of the northern pond. I'm sure there's a Dr.Who joke somewhere in here.

Murder everything again. The mission has some minor differences than Toxa's mission. But this mission is still technically the hardest.
I say technically because the game isn't all that hard to begin with.

So this is the clusterfuck starting position. Starting in high grass will slow me down. Thankfully I can move my units before the map begins.
Let's see how many Beheads are around this time.

So we have a couple of thieves to the left of us, with a group of Golems in their near vicinity. Due to how the AI works
and how large a range thieves have because of their Kartia, we'll have an easy time dragging them out and murder them before
The Golems become a "problem"

Directly north of the thieves are 4 more of them. One of them can create phantoms. Nothing much to say about this.
Seems easier than Toxa's map so far right? Well time to meet the major threat.

Look at these motherfuckers. These are Lizauros and are the next tier over Golems. They are our new Beheads once we get access to them.
And they are loving beasts. But before we go into their stats, take a closer look. Zoom in if you have to... Does that look like... Breasts!? :gonk:

Phantoms are gendered!? But that means... Oh no! But this is the internet... So that means... OH NO. :negative

This is a Doll Lizauros's stats. It has double D's in ranks (I am subtle like a truck.) and it has all equipment slots open.
It also doesn't have terrible resistances and pretty respectable defenses. These guys totally outclass our Beheads and I can't just blow them up with low level magic.
Thankfully these guys start out with axes, so they'll always have terrain penalty here. But the enemy can create more of them.

As an added curve ball, this Shadow Lizauro is also lvl 4 as opposed to the Dolls lvl 2.

Equipment wise, there isn't really a lot of crafting to be done.
I can create the Big Armor, but I feel it's waste since I don't have anyone with B ranks to take advantage of it.
And +2 Big Armor isn't that big of a defense upgrade. Instead I opt for the Sookari.

It's a low ranking armor piece which gives something along the lines of 3 defense and 5 resistance to all elements.
I get it to +2 for a total of +5 defense and +7 resistance to all elements. It's actually a significant upgrade as thieves are the major thread because of Kartia.

I also made these Boots. Which is D rank feet armor and it provides a decent Water Resistance.
They are perfect for Troy has he has high Fire, Wind and Earth resistance but a low Water Resistance.

As pictured here. Troy has a base 19 Water Resistance. It's still 24 less then the other elements though.
I didn't give him a Sookari though, for... no real reason really.

Lacryma loses a single point in defense for +7 resist all.

I don't give anything to Ele as I'm unsure whether she sticks around or not.
I also create a bunch of Phantoms and position my guys like so. My plan is to send Kun and two Morderes towards the Lizauros and deal with them.
Meanwhile everyone else will got west and kick some thief rear end.

Let's take a closer look at Bachstail himself. He is pretty loving good actually.
He is Alana with Durans armor stats and Toxa's weapon stats. I don't actually know, but I feel he won't be sticking around for long.
He is just too good.

Demon Fire? Game are you even trying? Demon Fire is a low tier "Secret" Fire spell I never bothered to show, because it's not really that good.

I also come to my senses and realize Ele might stick around so I feed her some kills.

I also have Bachstail create a new Behead, as I need it to deal with the Golems.

Elsewhere in Kun's Fight Club

This is the damage Kun took from a full hp Lizauro. I realized after a counter attack that they would no longer be able to hurt Kun so I moved my Morderes away.

Kun leveled up twice this mission with 50 xp to the next level. He only fought these 4 enemies. It is entirely possibly to grind xp on enemies that can heal themselves. But let's not break the game into a million little pieces.
It would also be grindy as hell, and there is a reason I'm not playing World of Warcraft.

My Behead died to those two spells. But I am no so easily stopped by mere pebbles and sparks.
Time to rock :frogc00l:

This is Big Rock. It's statistically superior to Fierce Fire. So if you have to hit a target with equal Fire and Earth resistance, then always choose Big Rock.

Also it's incredibly satisfying to cast it.

I come to my senses and realize Ele is Lacryma's Posha and she will probably stick around, so I feed her a kill.

Bachstail on the other hand I have my suspicions so he'll be stuck on heal and phantom creation duty.

Kun took 18ish damage from 3 Lizauros at full hp. I realise that through counterattacks that they got neutered. Sure
Kun only did 20ish damage to them, because their Fire resistance is higher than the fire damage that the Fire Arm provides.
But now they're just bags filled with XP that Kun has to beat out of them.

Yes, while the enemies are waiting for you to arrive they'll just endlessly spawn more Phantoms.

I should find it hilarious that Morderes attack by shouting at things. I don't because this mission is taking me 10 turns and oh my god why aren't I done yet?

At least Kartia AI is "Smarter" than Fire Emblem AI where the game will know when a unit would suicide when attacking another unit. So instead it moves
the Lizauro away. It also just drags things out needlessly. Also a rare case of Kun actually casting a spell.

More kills for Ele

Smiting thieves with Big Rocks. Huh... Isn't that something God did in the old testament somewhere? I ask because I'm a sinful heathen and haven't actually dared touch a bible much less read it.

Bachstail avoids getting set on fire.

Kun is still in his Fight club.

Assignment to any artists out there. Instead of drawing Lizauro porn, draw me a picture of a Mordere opening a chest.
Because I want to know how a head on legs does that.

I believe this is the "War" Text. You can use it to create the Battle Axe. It's still an axe so it won't ever get used.:eng101:

This map is pretty ballin'.

Oh man! A silver spear! That's a pretty high damage weapon so early in the game! With it I can level up my low level guys rather easily... Oh wait
This is Kartia not FE. It's a spear so it sucks. Moving on.

More words for me to horrendously murder my fellow man. Oh goody.

I wish my life were more eventful. Then I might have something funny to say to this. Maybe it's just really boring?

If there is one sad thing, it's that all this spell slinging is costing my quite a bit of Mithril. I've already used 10!

Uh huh.

There was only Mithril in the other chest. So here is screen of me casting Big Rock... Again.

At this point the game has realised it's losing. So what does it do? NEEDLESSLY DRAG OUT THE GAME BY RUNNING AWAY. :argh:

AND DONE.

Whoop we're finally done.

"How's this... Use me as an Encrypter."
"In your dreams, stupid!"
"Miss Ele... I need to talk to you later."
"What? Am I being rewarded?"

Ele is one of those kind of children, who has never been told when they're doing something wrong, from their parents.

Well at least I'm losing less phantoms!

Lacryma's doing what everyone has been wanting for a while. I mean I like Ele, but in any other game she would have been that annoying teen who
claims she totally knows what she does and continues to put their life at risk when they shouldn't.

"Why did you ignore Rimzan's order? You were told to stay in Vigilance Headquarters!"
I don't think Ele had to follow Rimzan's order since she isn't part of Vigilance. As such he has no authority over her.
He could forbid her from entering a battle zone, but he can't hold her in Vigilance.

"Why me!? Why am I being treated like an outsider?"
"This is not the place to settle your personal issues. If something happened to you, your father would have been devastated!"
But hey, it's totally okey for something to happen to Kun, Troy and Bachstail. They don't have any parents to worry about them, right? :v:
"It's my life! I don't want to be cooped up in the mansion all my life! You're not my real mom!"

"She doesn't understand what death is, Kun. She doesn't think it means anything."
"I know what death is! We all die eventually... That's the reason I'm not afraid of death."
"You're not afraid of death?"
"No, I'm not. My death won't change anything. It's no big deal."

:siren: Don't make light of death in the presence of war vets.:siren:

I guess... Don't brag to Lacryma. She might just take you at your word.

I was overly enthusiastic with the cap button :f5:. And by whatever deity of your choosing, I will shove all of my screen shots in your face.
Anything else would just be self censorship and that's a bad thing I hear. :v:

3 Grown men are just standing by watching Lacryma tear into Ele... That sounds inherently wrong. Wait, is Kun considered an adult?
2 and a half men then. Bachstail is obviously Jrpg Charlie Sheen.

Did Kun stop Lacryma here, or was Lacryma gonna stop after proving her point?
Because if it's the first... Holy poo poo Lacryma.

"No... Don't..."

Whew. It was the latter after all... I hope. Child raising has come a long way since the medieval ages.
I'm not sure if for the better or worse yet.

"That's enough Lacryma. I think she got the point."
"poo poo. Just as I was about to get my murder on... loving buzzkill. Kun, Let's go back."
"Ok..."

Well, if my mom had threatened me at sword point everything I did or said something stupid, then I might have amounted to more than just
some guy playing games for the internet. Or mute. :v:

"What what you say next time. That is, if there is a next time."
"Let's head back to town."

There is more to the end epilogue here, but the update is long enough as it is. So we'll just cut it short here.
As dissatisfied as I am with the commentary, I'm feeling a bit under the weather so it's gonna have to do.

But man what an update. Phantom Breasts... Just wow. :psyduck:

Lacryma Episode 10 Chapter 5 pt.2 END

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Whoa.

That's to Lacryma, not the phantom breasts. I've been on the internet long enough that people putting breasts on things no longer fazes me.

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:
I never noticed that type of phantom had boobs. What has been seen cannot be unseen.

I like Lacryma here because she actually calls Ele out on her teenage bullshit, whereas with Toxa you would just know he would give her a pass, freewheeling knight that he is.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Lacryma's lecture (for lack of a better word) scene was always memorable for me. She's trying to be the quintessential paladin, serious and just and kind to everyone. But Bachstail's presence has rattled her a good deal, and it shows; she's getting overzealous in her moralizing, instead of patient and controlled. Also, reading over Bachstail's comments, I have a new idea on a plot point that will come later down the road. But that can wait.

On a gameplay note, Bachstail is the most powerful character in the game. He'll stick around for a healthy chunk of Lacryma's scenario, and he's well worth using. Ele is also in the party to stay, and she's fairly crap.

IIRC, there's a secret armor set you can make now. It's C-rank gear (and possibly weapons as well), kinda low in defense but gives a % increase in earned XP. With a full set, your characters can level *ridiculously* fast. Like, gain almost a full level with every kill. Not that the game really needs to be easier, but hey, gameplay feature.

If you want to play around with it, it's called "Novel ______ (helmet/armor/boots/sword?)" and is made by combining the base Text with two others. I don't remember the combination exactly: it's "New+Unique", or "New+Wonder", or "Wonder+Unique", or something like that. I distinctly remember crafting them in the Chapter 4 battle in both scenarios.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

BTW OP, you got double images in the update where you got the 99 World Tree cards. You got a repeat of images when you get the 99 Silk cards.

And judging from the difference between how many World Trees you get in Toxa's chapters I'm guessing those 99 are enough to last you the game, basically?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Whoops. I'll fix that.

I'm unsure if the 99 World Tree Kartias will last throughout the game. But it is a pretty safe assumption to make, since we don't have any means of consuming them yet
and we'll get more as we play. Also it makes sense that the game isn't giving us World Tree Kartia before we have World Tree spells, so that's why Toxa only has 1-2 from
the Arena.

Speaking of the Arena I did some reading up on that, and it's only the first time you get a specific item (The Fire Arm). All the other times have a loot table.

I didn't know about the Novel set. I'll be looking into that as a means of leveling any phantoms up if that should become relevant.
I enjoy Bachstail's presence messing with Lacryma, because a stoic do good person is incredibly boring.
But I wonder, how would Lacryma react to Ele showing up if Bachstail never showed up at all?
Would she still fly off the handle? I can't imagine a scenario where she wouldn't.

Lastly, speaking of Phantom breasts... I was kind of out of it when I wrote the update, but let's examine it a little closer. Err... You know what I mean.
Anyways looking at the Phantoms I think they're starting to have more human like traits.
First we had the Kyau, a large hamster/rabbit thing. Pretty far from a human but it's a live creature.
The next step is the Miles. Bipedal impish creatures with arms. It has a vague shape of a human.
Beheads while missing a head, have more human like details even if exaggerated to look like a body builder.
Morderes don't have the physical body shape of a human, but they do have rather detailed heads, and so far the only creature to use it's mouth.
Golems look like some primitive manbeasts. They're pretty much just Beheads with heads... (and shittier stats)
Finally we have Lizauros incorporating breasts. I don't have to explain what breasts are for.

I feel like we've stumbled upon the horrible lab of Hojo and are using his terrible lab experiments as our army.
Wait... weren't there some guy who wanted to create a human from Kartia? :v:

*Edit: Fixed*

Sazero fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 25, 2015

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Lacryma Episode 10 Chapter 5 pt.3

This is gonna be a minor update as it's really just the last of the epilogue of this chapter.

For some reason we regroup at the Shrine instead of Vigilance HQ. I suppose it's closer to Three Lily Ponds.

"I know what you mean, but..."
"Not only that, she's taking her life lightly."
"This is the first time she's been out of the estate. She was just too excited. Give her a break."

You have to remember, Kartia is set in a time before the internet. Or TV. So you'll understand if living in that period of time probably weren't all that great.
I mean world destroying cards aside. That could explain 90% of the casts motivations. loving boredom.

So here are the conflicting viewpoints.
Ele who was raised in a sheltered home, wanting to break free and see the world.
Lacryma who has lost her father at what must have been a young age, and thinks quite fond of him.

Their experiences are polar opposite of each other, but neither are wrong. That's just life.
But if their circumstances were reverse, they'd probably turn out as the other.

"I just think your approach didn't work.
"Tragedy can be avoided if you're careful..."

We don't yet know the circumstances of Kaina's death so it's too early to say if Lacryma could be at fault or if she just blames herself.

"You'll get nothing if you stick to your pride."
"No way!"
"What trouble..."

Kun arrives to get Lacryma and Duran as Posha is too busy being a low self-esteem screw up just about now.

"What happened?"
"The Knights came back. But one of them is in critical condition!"
"So what do you need me for? Just cast Big Rock +3 at the wound."
"Our group was fine, then why the Knights..."
Because the Knights are a group of faceless NPC's so OF COURSE THEY*RE GONNA FAIL. It's jrpg law. You wouldn't dare break the law would you? See what happened to Ele.:v:
If it weren't for the fact that we're only in Chapter 5 I'd be expecting the final boss to jump out of the stained glass window.

"I won't die! I surpass Lacryma!"
And so another character begins to revolve around Lacryma.

"Do you want to join our operation tomorow?"
:crossarms:
"Are you out of your mind, Bach!?"
"Of course!"
"I don't care if Lacryma gets mad."
"Just cover for her."
"Why me!?"
"Lacryma ordered you to protect her in the last battle."
"You dirty..."
"No, Bachstail is just more mature than you..."

And so, just as Troy thought he didn't have to look out for Posha anymore, Ele gets dropped on his lap. He deserves it though.

Oh hey unique sprite work. Can you feel the effort? :v:

Someone knocks on the door.

"It's never too late to go Bach"

"I don't need any compliments."
"You were so naive when I met you. When did you become so jaded?"
"Extreme water gun Festival of 1302"
"You're still mad about what happened in the past? We're not kids anymore, we're adults now."
Speak for yourself Bach, I am if anything a manchild at best.

"...No, I don't."

"Have you ever wondered why I left everything behind?"
"...No. Why are you bringing it up?"
"I was searching for knowledge."
"Knowledge? What you missed the large building meant for Kartia education right across the street?"

"Kartia was made by God and given to us long ago. It's the product that will lead us to the answer. That's what it is."
The question is... Err.. What is the question to the answer?

Uh oh, tinfoil hat time. :tinfoil: I have my hat on. Hit me up on that conspiracy yo.

Isn't that standard practice for religion? Incorporate old religions myths and legends to make the new religion easier to swallow for the populace?
But hey, it could be true. Lacryma, counter argument?

Ah yes, quite. A most excellent example of perfect flowing logic. You are an example to us all Lacryma.

"If the world has no substance, there's something wrong!"
"It's not that I disagree. I just work differently."
I... What? What the hell does that poo poo even mean? No really, what are they talking about here?

"You uphold the law, but you ignore the errors you make."
"If this is the reason you came here to talk..."
Yeah I'm well off this crazy train. See you guys on the other side.

"Stop seeking your father and come with me. We'll start over. I'll make up for the past two years."
"I can't..."
"You don't have to decide right away... Think about it and let me know."

Oh.. We're... Bach to reality. :haw: Good. I'm not gonna lie, I had a hard time following the argument between Lacryma and Bachstail.
So like anything I don't particularly understand well, I'll just forget about it.

Next time, we'll cover Toxa's Chapter 6.

Lacryma Episode 10 Chapter 5 pt.3 END

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah that conversation was weird. "Ya know, we don't actually understand how Kartia came about, huh? Touchy subject, my bad. So, wanna hook up later and pickup where we left off? :quagmire:"

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 11 Chapter 6 pt.1

Oh man, this chapter! This chapter marks the end of whatever vague memory I had of the game. Whatever happens after this chapter is completely 100% blind for me.
We have survived the terribleness of Posha, but we aren't quite clear of the woods just yet. Because you see, Toxa is about to take center stage.

Actually, we should be a good deal west of Kainas. Unless Nordia isn't actually North. Let's just go along with it.

Is it silly of me to be baffled by the fact that they have windowed tents, but are still using medieval weaponry in Kartia? :v:

I think I remember something about these berries.

"No, I thought I would give them to Mona. I promised her I would."
"Who's Mona?"
"Oh, that's right. You don't know about Mona. You can find out about the details from Alana or Duran."
"Well, if you say so... I'll just have to do that..."

:stare: -> :aaa:
Holy loving poo poo. This is the best thing since Mario RPG. Amano what the gently caress is this? It's worse/better than Rimzan's grin. I've chosen the best game to LP.
I might not have blink animation co-commentator, but with images like this, who needs it?

This is gonna be a great chapter.

Some time has passed and Toxa is nowhere to be found. Doesn't take a certain defense lawyer to figure out what happened here.

I feel like I should say something here, but I'll just appreciate that a game with blood, and curse words somehow made it through in the 90'ies.

I never get tired of this either. :v:

"Well, I wouldn't say that... Yet..."
"Maybe he was half-awake and wandered off somewhere..."
"Does anyone have any idea of where he might have gone to?"
"I think I know..."
"But we're in the middle of a mission. I don't think he would be that irresponsible."
"Oh, that reminds me... Toxa was picking berries. He said that he was going to give them to a person named Mona."
"I guess I was right..."

"I'm a knight, and knights never breaks a promise, even if it means endangering my friends and allies."
Of course I made a portrait of that. How could I not? :colbert:

"No, we're going to fight with just the four of us..."
"You're the only other person that can create Phantoms..."
"I understand your concern, Duran... But we have to move or else the route that the Knights are taking will be blocked."
"Without Toxa, we won't have enough Phantoms... Let's wait until he comes back."
"Duran, please! I will make up for Toxa's part..."
"I guess... But we can't take any unnecessary risks in this battle."

Alana is just worried about the incompetence of the Knights.

Let's go check up on our damsel in distress.

She's just sitting in her room, being a lay about? :argh: friggin' elves man.

"Surprised?"
"A little... What are you doing back here so early?"
"Here!"
"Wild berries! This is a lot!"
"I told you I would keep my promise. They're not as fresh as when I picked them. Sorry."
Now I'm not an expert on berryology but I'm pretty sure berries won't expire within hours of picking them. Like 90% sure. :v:
"Thank you so much!"
"I'm so glad that you're happy. Now, I don't have to worry."
"What, Toxa? What is that supposed to mean?"

I suppose Toxa isn't a complete moron then. I'm just surprised he haven't faced this possibility of dying before.

"We are going to attack the bases of the thieves. If we don't defeat them, they'll come after you... we have no choice."
"Oh no... Toxa, you don't have to take such risks because of me..."
"I knew you would say that, but I'm determined to protect you."
"Toxa..."
"I was always an admirer of the heroes in the history books... I thought that it would really be neat to be a brave Knight and protect a princess..."
"I'm glad that I didn't devote myself to anyone yet... Because I have finally found someone to give myself to..."

R.E.J.E.C.T.E.D

"Of you and me"

"People say I'm childish, but I don't want to make any false vows as a Knight... I want to be a hero..."

"Yeah, a hero! Look at me and tell me I'm not a hero."
I just can't get enough of this.:haw:

For a rather childish guy who fits into the whole fedora wearing "nice" guy type, Toxa takes rejection rather well.

"Wait, Toxa!"

"Aw hiiiilll yis!"

"Please be careful..."

Oh yeah, Mona is still sitting on the world ending Kartia. Now, who could that brother of hers be?
Who knows, we might never meet him. Let's just forget about him.

Toxa - Wanting to be a hero. Leaves his friends and allies in danger to profess his love to a girl. He is the hero we don't deserve, but the one we got.

Next time, stage gimmicks! Feminazis! Melee combat!

Toxa Episode 11 Chapter 6 pt.1 END

OvermanXAN
Nov 14, 2014
Wait, that's all Toxa does? I may just be used to JRPG protagonist stupidity but that seems... fairly tame. While it's definitely dumb of him and a bit sexist, he handles her reaction fairly well and this doesn't seem like it's going to inadvertently lead to her being recaptured or anything like that. This is legitimately the last chance he has to do this without it getting to the point of having a high likelyhood getting other people killed, though admittedly he could have at least left a note. I mean he did tell Posha what he was doing, I guess :downs:

Like I said, I'm just used to people in JRPGs doing stuff *way* dumber than this.

That expression is totally great, though. Wow.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I might have overplayed it a little bit, but it's certainly not something you should try in the military.
He is also our strongest beef, so power bla bla responsiblity bla bla. Also it's kind of mitigated by the fact that the game so far
has been easy as heck, so it's kind of hard to take the thieves as a threat seriously.

I mean I can understand why he would do it. Maybe Toxa is a genius that he does it now, so he won't have the "When I get back from war, I'll tell her I love her!" death flag.
But that's not really something to worry about as he is the protagonist and they almost never die when they have their name on the title of their story. Well... Not until the end.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You gotta consider that the translation is also pretty rough. I bet the story would be a lot smoother if they ironed out the awkward wording.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What, if he was the right person for the nuclear Kartia he would have brought her body weight in berries?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 11 Chapter 6 pt.2

"Will Toxa come...?"
"We are going to have a rough time getting into the base without his Phantoms."
Eeeeeeeeeeeh no, we won't.
"Let's move people!"

This time, we're located directly west of Kainas, in a mountain range. The thieves have certainly spread out far.

It makes me question whether or not it was necessary to attack the thieves at Three Lily Pond, considering they're so far away.
At least we won't have to worry about getting pincered, should we find difficulty in attacking the thief fortress.

As always, we have to murder everything.

6 Golems? Man, Toxa's story really is easier than Lacryma's. Remember that she was facing Lizauro's in Chapter 5. And here we are in Chapter 6 in Toxa's still facing Golems.

We also only have a handful of thieves to deal with, and everyone is wielding axes. I'm kind of ready for you to step up your game, err.. game.

This thief is placed in an oddly suspicious place. I wonder why that is...

:siren:Oh god, is that a god drat frigging CANNON!?:siren:

So that's the gimmick of this map. This artillery cannon is like a Super Mordere.
It has a very large range and will ignore any defense a unit has.
It can only hit one target but given it's position it can pick whoever it wants to hit.
Oh and the worst thing? It deals 50 damage!
That ain't poo poo. :haw: Our lowest healing spell heals for 45 and costs 1 Silk.

I don't particularly like being under artillery fire by a lovely cannon, so let's break this mission into thousands little pieces.
We have access to Lizauro Textnology, and this is a rare case of us having an advantage in Phantom Tier, so let's take advantage of it.
Like I showed in Lacryma's Chapter 5, Lizauro's normally have D ranks in both weapons and armor. I only have a single Kartia spot to
improve my Lizauro's and that's thanks to Alana's 4 Kartia stat. Toxa, won't be able to improve his Lizauros at all.

I mentioned earlier that I value Defense more than Attack and that goes doubly so for Lizauros as they can wear a full compliment of armor.
Something the Beheads and Golems cannot. Besides Lizauro's specialty lies in being tough.

So what can we do with that C rank armor? Well wouldn't you know I came across a very special kind of armor that I could create.
One would say... That it's entirely Unique. I discovered this armor set as I was trying to create the Novel set, as someone pointed out in the thread.
Unfortunately, somehow in someway I have not gotten all the Text for that set, even though Gamefaqs told me I should have gotten it in Chapter 3.

Either way, gently caress the Novel set, because the Unique set is much better... How much better? Well...

21 resistance to all elements better. Believe it or not, I could have created this set after Chapter 3 I believe.
It's just a regular Stone Armor with a "Wonder" Text added in. I could get it to +3, but I couldn't resist having a set that was made entirely with Silk Text.
Also Wooden Sword +4 is the best D rank weapon I can create.

*Fun Fact: Did you know that you have to create all items one at a time? Want 6 identical items? You have to create that poo poo one at a time.
So hey, I can have 6 Phantoms that I want to equip 4 items on. You have to create 24 items one at a time... I gave up around having made a full set of Armor and Helmets.
So not all of my Lizauros have these stats, but eh close enough. :effort:

Let's test out exactly how good the Lizauro's are. I mean you should know, the Lizauro's Lacryma Kun fought were baseline with no improvement and lovely gear with terrain disadvantage.
What happens if... You don't have any of that?

:frogc00l: Yes, my Lizauro is one shotting this Golem. Girl power bitches.

I wouldn't blame you, if you just skipped the rest of the combat sequence, because it's literally just me one shotting Golems, curbstombing thieves and heal up damage from the Cannon.

I'm a silly man who enjoy cartoonish googley eyes. :stare:

Oh no 50 damage! Still, you have to respect it, so humans will take sort of a supportive role in this map. They can't oneshot dudes after all.
Sure they'll lose some XP, but it's fine really.

The AI can actually destroy the environment as well, here it's breaking this fence down so it can attack my one dude with Earthquake.

It barely tickles, because my Doll Phantom has around 50ish Earth Defense.

it did put it under 50 hp though, so I might as well break out the big stuff and use Rare Medicine... Which costs a whopping 2 Silk.

Let's move this along, because really... I'm running out of things to say.

So here is the singular Text you get from the map itself.

Oh wow 12 damage? Whatever shall I do? :haw:

Toxa arrives at turn 3... Where I'm almost done mopping up the map, really... gently caress off Toxa, I don't need your lovely Shadow Behead. I have Dragon women to obliterate my enemies with.

"Okay, I guess this is the time to pay back those thieves!"

So he could see how unneeded he is? Imagine the cluster gently caress this map would be if I had another 6 Phantoms to move around.

Anyways the game treats reinforcements in a rather weird manner.
Sometimes when a unit arrives as reinforcement the game just reveals the row they're standing on.
This means that right now. The wall in the middle of the map which forced me to move up and fight the Golems and be under artillery fire is now meaningless.
The new row that got revealed opens a hole in the wall so Toxa could rush straight for the cannon.
It's a bad idea, because Toxa will lose 1v1 against the cannon. It's better to just move up and help heal... if that is even needed.

if his was a harder game, it could be worth it to just be on the defensive until Toxa shows up and then rush everyone towards the cannon.
But it isn't. So I didn't.

Whoops, one of these random Golems had a Text on it. More Textnology!

Toxa becomes the new Cannon target. Which I'm okey with. Karma and all that.

The Kyau continues it's streak of not dying in spite of the game hating it.

Alana has a super sayan battle with this Golem.

You're not helping Shadow Behead. Oh also I should mention the enemy also got reinforcements. It was 3 Lizauro's. :shrug:

Oh man! Hot girl on girl action! My dream has come true.:japan:

Clever and funny comment about a man shooting his cannon at other men.

Soon(tm)

And that's a wrap. I have to admit, I felt like cutting half of this update because of how one sided it was.
But then I wouldn't be able to showcase exactly how easy this mission is. Toxa_Lyfe.png

So go artistic value? I guess?[/i]

Even Misty is feeling bored at this point.

"That was easy!"
"Are you joking..."
No? Not even remotely. Toxa is right, this was easy.

I think I lost my Shadow Behead somewhere along the line... For some reason I finish most missions on turn 10.

Spending all that Silk on all the Unique armor kind of burned a hole in my Silk resources. Thankfully we get like 40 Silk per mission so it's not a problem.
What is interesting is that the game is giving us World Tree Kartia, so exciting new things should open up for us soon.

Naturally Alana weren't particularly fond of Toxa's stunt.

"It depends! We are in the middle of a mission!"
"Don't get mad, we succeeded. What's the big deal?"
"Have you forgotten that we are in the middle of a war!"
"I know this is not a game!"
"No, you don't!"
"Yes, I do!"
"Nuh-uh!
"Yuh-uh!"

"You just think you do!"
"That's not true!"
"It is true! Posha is trying her best! You said that you would support Vigilance! What you did was irresponsible!"

Why does it sound like Duran is talking down to Toxa?

"Duran... What should I have done?"
"You have to use your time honestly."

Well I'd say Toxa's motives weren't entirely selfless

Somewhere else that isn't where we just were.

Oh hey! These guys! I've missed them.

"The source of their information is Misty. I can't think of anyone else."
I am baffled that this comes at a surprise to them. No really, they should have seen this coming from the moment they failed to kill Misty.
"We should have killed her..."
Yes, you really should have.

"Cross, is this fortress secure?"
"I don't think Misty knows that this fortress even exists."
"Then we should avoid anymore conflict. We should pull our troops out of there."
"That is unacceptable!!"
Yes double exclamation points. She is doubly yelling here I guess?"

"Of course, I didn't say that we should give up..."
"Do you have a plan?"
"The closest bases we have to the Shinon estate are the cave and the ruins... I will have Karis take care of the ruins."

"Wanna see my sword collection?"
This is getting out of hand. Although I have to admit, they're fun to make.

"You're going alone?"
"I want to dedicate my victory to my adorable Asty..."
"Stop joking around, Cross. I will go with you."
"I can't allow that."
"Are you giving me an order?"
"I'm not going to send someone in your condition to the front lines."

"Is that why Lord Vandor sent me here? Is that it?"
"I understand your frustration, but you need to relax."

Disappointed that she couldn't murder her sister, Asty leaves.

"Our civilization is advanced. But there are still some diseases that can't be cured with magic... She won't last six months."
"No wonder she's so intent on winning the war quickly..."
"A person's value can't be measured by the length of their life..."

So Asty has fantasy Cancer, that's immune to frigging magic. Diseases really can adapt to everything. :rolleye:
It's also rich that Cross talks about the value of a persons life when he completely obliterated Garum because he was about to talk.
What a douchebag.

And now I remember I forgot to save after doing this mission... There's always something isn't there? :sigh:

Toxa Episode 11 Chapter 6 pt.2 END

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does the cannon have like counterattacks or anything? It seems like Toxa would be a match for it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat it Toxa! Time and place, man!

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Also, I think the Novel gear might be Human-only, so meh. And really, you're not really missing much. As you've noticed, the game just isn't very hard. Even if all you do is keep up with available armor options, your characters soon become practically invincible, especially the ones who can use B- and A-rank gear. And when they do get hurt, healing is really cheap and really effective. Kind of a shame, since it undercuts the need for tactics or some of the game's rock-paper-scissors mechanics. I tend to rationalize it as "Kartia: The Low-Stress sRPG", but the game has been (fairly) criticized for being too easy.

While I'm thinking of it, do you know about (mechanics spoiler) the reward for leveling a Phantom up to 20?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Yes, I know about that mechanic and if I could have used the Novel gear, I might have shown it off.
As it is, I'm not planning on showing it off but I will address it at some point.

Like I mentioned in the update the Cannon is pretty much an immobile Mordere with larger range and a 50 damage attack that penetrates all defense.
It also have a larger minimum range so it does have a blind spot if you get close to it. It doesn't have a counter attack.
However, it has a thief operating it and a thief rather close by.
So a realistic scenario would be: Toxa move towards the Cannon. Gets shot for 50, the thief operating it casts a spell on Toxa and he is reduced to very low hp if he isn't dead.
The following turns Toxa would move into the Cannons blind spot, but he would still get pelted with spells, so he has to spend every turn healing himself. Effectually stunning himself.

Speaking of the game difficulty, you could grind your characters up to lvl 20 the first time you meet Garum.
It would take a long time, and the game is easy as it is. So I don't know why you'd want to do that.
But you could.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

THIS GOD DAMNED CHAPTER :argh: Ahem.. I mean Toxa Episode 13 Chapter 7 pt.1

Guess who forgot to save after playing through last chapter. This guy

Thank you, I work very hard on LP'ing.

"I'll take over from here."
"I'm still fine."
"You're really enthusiastic about this."
"I'm still not doing enough. Lacryma would do more."
"Yes, but she's a Shrine Warrior. She's a tough act to follow..."
"I know that..."

"Yes, I hated everything in the beginning. Of course, that has changed now. It's different now..."

We're really just going over poo poo we already know. It's not even interesting poo poo. Stop repeating boring poo poo game!

Thank you.

"You're a runaway... Aren't you going to take over your father's business?"
"No, because unlike you, I don't bend over backwards to please my parents. I'm not the merchant type."
"I know that you want to be a Knight, but I think you don't like responsibility."
"Look who's talking miss didn't-help-out-a-bleeding-man. Well..."
"Lacryma never runs away from anything... I don't like the idea that everything is fine as long as your ego is satisfied."
Hey! I never ran away from anything. It's the AI running away from me! :colbert:

You better be.

"Alana was very angry with me yesterday. After the battle, she said that I was selfish. I thought about it all night."
"I thought about it, but I still don't understand. I just want to be a hero. That's all. To tell you the truth, I'm confused."
"However, I do regret what I did... I jeopardized the lives of my comrades because of my selfishness..."
Toxa. The man who doesn't understand, by understanding perfectly. Yes, he is that stupid. :confused:

"Are we back to being friends again?"
"Ha, Ha, Ha! Do you really need to ask me that!?"
"I guess not!"

"You knew?"
"It's quite obvious... Just do what you're supposed to do..."
"Sure! I will make up for what I did in our next battle."
"I'm looking forward to that."

So the whole Kartia IS consumed upon usage. How the gently caress did Lacryma find any Kartia remains in Chapter 2 then? Who cares. :shrug:

"However, the completion of this mission does not solve all of our problems."
"I'm aware of that..."
"Can you tell me what you know..?"
"Go ahead. Ask me anything..."

"Why do you need Mona for that?"
"It was an order from our client..."
"What client?"
"You know... Nobles, Encrypters and even people in the Shrine..."
"Damnit woman, I know what clients are, I want specifics! Who is the current client and what are their plans?"
:shrug: "I was not told what their plans are."
"Then where did you get Mona?"
"I don't know..."

You know, for being the head honcho's daughter Misty knows surprisingly little... Oh whats that? She is pretending not to know?
No that can't be true, I'd have seen it from way a--- Toxa's stupidity is rubbing off on me isn't it? :negative:

"Then what about the guy who killed Garum?"
"He was a former Encrypter of Idorus. His name is X Cross..."
Oh great... Yeah sure, let's pit our ragtag team of idiot knights and the very incompetent fantasy police up against a literal wizard.:gonk:
"Where were you supposed to take Mona to?"
"To Nordia... The powerful country in the north."

Yeah, I mean it's TOTALLY a COINCIDENCE and you should DISREGARD this information.:rolleyes:

"I understand... That's all I needed to know."
"Duran... Are you going to tell this to the others? Because then you're a snitch, and you know what happens to those"
"No, Why do you ask?"
"I'm worried... I'm a former thief after all..."
You know after being forgiven for several murder charges, assault and wielding a weapon with intent to murder, you think something silly as being a thief would not even show up on the radar.
So I have a hard time swallowing this self pity crap.

"Misty, are you going to stay on as a member of Vigilance?"
"Yes... That is, if you will accept me..."

:stare: Holy loving poo poo, if that isn't the sleaziest smile I have ever seen. Look at that poo poo. Tell me this guy has your best interest at heart.
This is not the face anyone should be making ever. loving damnit Amano :argh:

I'll be adding this to my growing collection of terrible faces. :haw:

"You can totally trust this face"

"Aww.. Don't be like that baby, you can trust me."
Creeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Sounds like a poo poo ton of denial. Par for the course, of course.

The best Amano art so far. :colbert:

Anyways we'll be cutting things here. Because next time will be a 14 turn long combat mission. 14! :argh:

Toxa Episode 13 Chapter 7 pt.1 END.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

God Amano is terrible at expressions. Ugh. It really can't be stated enough, I think.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

He just hits or misses... Notice that we haven't gotten completely terrible expressions on women, but drat the men.

I always laugh whenever I see this though.

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Toxa Episode 13 Chapter 7 pt.2

We're finally in the thief fortress properly and woah, who the hell built this? Looks like a Diablo dungeon.

Yeah, it's not like you came rampaging from across the country, attacking several thief camps.
I mean, thieves wouldn't just run from battle! They have honor and pride to uphold after all! :v:

"We can't fight if there's no one here..."
"Does this mean the operation is over?"
"No... There is someone in the back of the cave... I sense the presence of a man..."

Yeah okey, I call bullshit on that one. Creating poo poo out of thin air with magic cards? Okey I can deal with that, that's the setting of the game after all.
But disregarding that, everyone who isn't an elf are normal people. Humans can't sense other humans, unless it's with their eyes or god forbid, their nose.
Besides if you could loving sense someone being there, then why couldn't you find Toxa in the last god drat chapter? :argh: I guess, we'll just have to chalk this
up to animu supah powers. Duran is now a magical girl. :colbert:

"I can sense it!":downs:

Oh man, so we're really gonna fight an Encrypter? The same one who blew up Garum.
I can't deal with this! Who the hell get's tasked with fighting loving trading card wizards?

"Arrogant fool! I will be your opponent!"
"Toxa! Calm down! He is a former Encrypter of Idorus. He must have set some kind of trap in the cave!"
:gonk: Oh gently caress me, there's traps too?
"You're right. Let's be cautious here since my strength is limited..."

Oh, so we're just in a cave... THIS ISN*T HOW CAVES LOOK LIKE GAME!

Alright, kids. Strap in your seat belts because this is gonna be a long grand battle.
We're facing off against an Encrypter, in one of the thieves home bases.

So new chapter, new Phantom. Let's take a look at... Urgh. What the gently caress is this thing?
Some kind of mutant jellyfish. Alright whatever let's break it down...

In short the Polypen are poo poo. The end.

The long answer is that they cannot wear any defensive equipment AT all.
They have lovely movement, like 3 squares or so. And they can only use C rank weaponry.
They only advantage they have is that they're Floating. What this means for the weapon triangle,
I don't have a single clue but they never get any movement penalty from moving through high grass and the like.
Of course they move like they always have a movement penalty so that's not really in their favor.
Oh and they're melee as well. Don't use them. It's a waste of Mithril.

So this is our starting location and holy poo poo is this place crowded. We're packed like a can of maize.
This is just with Alana's Phantoms. Imagine if Toxa had any as well. I also still have my Kyau from way back then.
It's a wonder it has survived so far really.

Directly north of us, these Polypen are walling off this hall way... I don't know why, because there is nothing on the other side.

These Polypen also wall off this direction, but since we actually need to go there, we'll just have to juggernaut through these bitches.

Right behind them is another Polypen wall and they are totally optional, but what kind of idiot are you to pass up loot?
You're in a thief cave! Of course there is gonna be loot! Loot the looters!

Directly south of here is Cross and a small army of Lizauro's. The real threat here.

So these are Cross's stats... For an Encrypter, I have no idea why he is using an E rank Silver Katana, when he could have used a C rank Silver Sword. :raise:
At least I won't be able to one shot him with the Fire Arm.

I

make

a

bunch of

poo poo.

So the first 3/4ths of the map is just gonna be straight up physical damage, so I put as much Defense on Posha as I can. The rest are just weapon upgrades.
Toxa is still sporting his Big B rank Armor so he doesn't really need anything.

The first turn, there really isn't anything I can do, but flood into the open room here.

The next turn, reinforcements show up. I mean it's still Polypens so it's just more experience for my guys, who cares. :shrug:

F-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-f-faaaart jooooooooke! I don't know, I got nothin'.

Cross does the usual thief thing and spams Phantoms.

And I begin chopping down these Polypen weeds. Fun fact! If you wall off the Polypen wall
the reinforcements can't attack you, because their own Polypen wall is in the way and they can't pass through enemy units.
The wall itself won't actually attack because it's on a defensive AI.

Red Flame is a new spell. It hit's in a larger + area. But other than that it's rather unremarkable.

In hindsight, the water doesn't actually change your elevation and casting Ice on it won't make you run faster across it. It's a waste of Silk Kartia.

I summon No-Eyes White Dragon!

Well... It wasn't entirely worthless. Now my Kyau can cross and help loot things.

I'm finally done clearing up those reinforcements.

The Polypen wall up here actually moved away from Toxa for some reason. Yes! Fear me! FEAR ME TENTACLE MONSTERS!
I AM DEATH! :yarr:

Meanwhile I've started to work down Cross's Lizauro army.

:goleft: These guys are actually lvl 15. Oh gently caress that's like double my lvls.

Well... They're Polypens so they're slow as gently caress, I don't have to deal with them if I don't want to.

For some reason I didn't cap what was in the chest. I think it was a text. But eh not important.

But THIS is! :siren: Who ever is in my way, better get the gently caress out, right the hell now. :siren:
What Text is this? Why it's our first World Tree Text. And the game translate the kanji as "Violent" :getin:

Let's take a closer look at what spells we can create with this. Hmm 74 earth damage with the Wide Quake hit area. That's okey, but we have two whole
Kartia slots left. We can do better. Oh yes we can.

If we "Intensify" our "Harsh Quake" it evolves into "HELL QUAKE" :rock: 90 damage in a large hit area. I don't know what the "reduces 2hp per attack" does.
But who cares. Still... We can do a little better than this.

I add a "Stone" Text, I think it is... I don't remember, I went mad with power for a bit. Anyways 98 damage. That's more than our single target spells.

Unfortunately it isn't a new spell animation. However these Lizauros took 50ish damage.

:gibs:

The rest is just busy work now.

Oh hey a Royal Sword... It's a weapon I can create, but didn't see a need to, and if I did It would be a +3 or something. Pass

This is much more exciting.

Is this Christmas?

This is another World Tree Text. "Silver" It allows us to create a plethora of Silver weaponry.
Unfortunately we aren't facing any werewolves any time soon... If ever.

There is MORE?

And they're level 20!? MAX LEVEL LIZAURO'S? OH gently caress ME! Alright we don't actually have to deal with them.
We can just rush to Cross and end him before they become a problem.

Or

just

do

this.

Uh huh.

Still going.

Yeeeeep.

Aaaaaaaand done. So the reward for all this is a new weapon I havn't seen before. The Magic Sword. I wonder what it does...
Oh also Duran is now lvl 11. He started at lvl 8. Good job Duran.

This could be usefull on a Shadow Phantom to guarantee that one hit kill.

Anyways time to take out the trash. Cross decides to attack my Lizauro with his sword...
:what:
Cross is an honest to god Wizard and he attacks with his sword? Is he pulling a Gandalf here? What the gently caress?
Speaking of which, where were the traps Cross?

Cross

is

a

chump

Hah! Taken out by Posha. What a wimp

"That'll make life more interesting."
"Really? You're just saying that..."
"How long do you intend staying with them, Misty?"
"I won't go back again..."
"What about Asty? What do you intend to do about her, traitor?"
"I..."
"Don't distract her! She doesn't concern you anymore..."

Why does it sound like we're the cult fanatics?

"Mmm... I see... then. I require your answer before we meet again."
"You're not getting away!"
"No, Toxa! It's a trap..."
You mean like all those traps that were supposed to be there, but weren't?
Besides why would Cross fight us here, expecting to lose, run away just for a trap to kill us. Instead of setting up a trap while confronting us?
What is he? Batman? Clearly not.

"drat... what a Bastard"
"Come now... We took care of them."
"Yes, we've won. Our mission is completed."
Wouldn't that be "has been completed?"
"Does that mean... We head back to town?"
"Correct! Good job everyone!"

17 TURNS. SEVEN TEEN. There are SO many god drat loving dudes. 42! Yeah haha the answer to life. gently caress you.
SEVEN TEEN! :argh: JUST ARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

What monk Duran. Who are you talking about? :argh:

"You're not thinking about chasing him all by yourself?"
"I'll leave Cross to the Knights. I'm just worried."
"You worry too much."
"You know me..."
"Your hair is going to turn grey, you know..."
"It will make me look wise."

"Do you think Lacryma's group returned to Vigilance Headquarters?"
"Probably..."
"I don't see Toxa around."
"I sensed He left early. He said he wanted to drop by the Count's estate."
"What!? He should have told me that he was going!"
"Don't you think that's... You know what I mean."
"Oh, I see. He wants to see Mona. I wonder what she's up to..."
She is probably just sitting around, being a lay about elf. :argh: Frigging elves man.

"Well, She has class and comes from a noble family. She has a great body which I envy..."
:japan:
"I mean, her personality..."
"Well... I don't think she's a bad person... But to be quite honest, I still don't know. She is still a mystery."

"I looked back at what I did... It seems I went too far."
"Are you talking about what happened with Toxa and Posha?"
"I'm not their boss and yet, I yelled at them as if I had some kind of authority."

"It's not like me... But what if this is my true self?"
"No, that would be me."
"If you benefit from looking at your past, then go ahead. If not, we should think about what's coming up."
"I know this is going nowhere... But when I think that Lacryma may have handled the situation better, it depresses me..."
Errrr... Lacryma swung her sword at Ele for not doing what she was told. How is that "better" than yelling at someone?"
"When we get back to town, get some rest. Lao's shop is up and running. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a drink there again."
Lao's "shop" is actually the bar we fought the "wild" phantoms in Lacryma Chapter 1. Oh also, Durans see's a woman is upset. Suggests they go drinking.
Hmm...

Yeah, not suspicious at all.

"Yeah... Thanks for listening. I'll go to sleep before the sun rises..."

Then maybe you should have said that, instead of thinking it Duran.

See? I told you, she was just laying about.

Finally done. I don't really have a lot of things to say about these recent Toxa chapters. We've had a decent idea of what's going on.
And we're just going through the motions. Toxa got a girlfriend so that's something I guess, and Alana is descending into Posha.
Posha on the other hand stopped being Posha. But most importantly of all Cross turned out to be an over hyped wuss. What a let down.

Next time, we'll be going back in time a bit and see what Lacryma and crew is up to.

Toxa Episode 13 Chapter 7 pt.2 END.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

This all still feels like setup for whatever's going to eventually happen. And that looks like it could be interesting, so I can't help but wish they'd get to it already.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Gawd, that Duran smirk. I don't play Toxa's scenario very often, so I'd forgotten all about it. Especially while he's suggesting hitting up the bar with the brunette whom he senses knows will get shitfaced. And here I was thinking he had zero personality!

I do actually like that scene, despite several issues (not-quite-right dialogue, creepiness, etc.). Alana is very capable in her own right, and is arguably the closest thing the group has to a leader (while Toxa's energy keeps them moving, his organization, discipline, etc. are terrible, and Alana has quietly stepped in to handle it.) But the others don't see her that way, nor does she see herself that way. All the second-guessing and insecurity is because she thinks leaders should be more like Lacryma, and since her and Lacryma's personalities are so different, she's lesser for it. This stresses her out even more, and she berates herself, not realizing that Lacryma is an even unhealthier stress case. Both women are preoccupied with their respective facades, and neither really has anyone to confide in.

How quintessentially Japanesse...

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

I... Err.. If you say so? Admittedly my only knowledge of Japanese culture comes from anime. So I'll take your word for it.
Though I will say I feel Alana's self doubt stems from feeling inadequate as a person and not as a leader.

To be fair to Duran though I can see Alana as the sort of person who drinks all the time. I mean, I probably would too if I had crippling self doubt.
But I wouldn't put it past Duran to take advantage of that.

Speaking of the game, we're almost halfway through Toxa's story. Having just completed Chapter 8 out of 18!
So through butchered math, we're roughly 25% done with the total game. Hooray! That only took 7 months... :negative:

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Does Misty know that Asty wants to murder her, or is she just trying to be a good sister anyway?

Sazero
Nov 27, 2014

Asty called Misty out as a traitor back in Toxa Chapter 4.
Though Misty doesn't know that Asty was the one who lied to Vandor about Misty's supposed betrayal.

So for all that Misty knows Asty is just following orders, and believing that Misty is a traitor. And not that she is the actual reason Akueldo views Misty as a traitor.

*ninja fast edit*: But Asty does say that Misty's betrayal was unforgivable so I guess Misty knows Asty wants her dead. She just doesn't know the right reasons yet.

Sazero fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaginapocalypse
Mar 15, 2013

:qq: B-but it's so hard being white! Waaaaaagh! :qq:
You should bring that kyau all the way with you to the endgame :3:

• Locked thread