Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Actually, that's not unlike certain strains of Judaism.

During Shabbos, it is religiously forbidden to do what is considered "work". However, if someone who does not follow the religion offers to do something for you, that is allowed. There are certain very important exceptions, such as to save someone's life.

For example, you're not supposed to drive a car. There's nothing stopping you from taking a ride from someone else though.

Same deal here: Lacryma is not allowed to create Phantoms, but there's nothing stopping her from having someone else do it for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not really sure heathen is the right word here.

Mostly because Troy most likely falls under that definition, and Lacryma or Duran do not seem to care. Wonder what word was used in Japan?

Also, recall that Count Shinon is the one who talked to Mona, not Duran. So, Duran had no hand in convincing her.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I am aware, I am saying that I'm not sure that's a good word since it has connotations in English that don't apply here. All it means in English is "doesn't follow the local religion".

So I was wondering what the word was in Japan, is all, since, well, I think we can all agree that the odds of Troy being religious are close to nil, and nobody's hauling him off to Pentagram.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I get the strange feeling you are projecting something of your own personal beliefs regarding the afterlife without thinking of alternative explanations. But, we will see.

It's probably just elven magical bullshit powers. I can pretty easily imagine nothingness. For example, it comes up whenever I think of what's inside some posters' heads. :v:

Remember that the elves come from another dimension. The "afterlife" could simply be their home dimension, and visiting it for however long gives you certain elvish abilities.

Or, an even simpler explanation: Lacryma is for whatever reason elven or half-elven (see Mona's "same soul" comment), who are known to have the ability to use magic without Kartia. I see no reason that would not include the ability to cast a spell without the Text.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 16, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Sazero posted:

It's the fact that Lacryma is unique and the only one who can use "Nothingness" that leads me to the conclusions that I've made.

That's probably nothing more than the whole "fated user" type thing coming up, honestly.

Meaning that anyone with the requisite Kartia ability could theoretically use it, it'd just run counter to What Fate Intended and so it won't happen.

I have gotten really tired of the word Fate suddenly.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I imagine it's not that simple, otherwise he could summon multiple Edens on command since he can regenerate body parts.

Rip off arm, kill everything in a ten mile radius, regenerate arm...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This means one of two things.

1) Aile is holding out on us, and still has Original Death.

2) Kainas lied and gave Aile nothing more than a copy, because he didn't want to drat his friend.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Beltshumeltz seemed to think it was the Original because it seemed to kill Saradiart.

If Raguruzet knew it wasn't, I'd imagine he wouldn't risk being near Saradiart's supposed corpse.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

So yeah, Aile hid Original Death.

Now we have to figure out who made the copy. It obviously wasn't Raguruzet since he was all "WHAT!?", but who else could do it?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Being an Inquirer is not abandoning the religion - it's basically the same as being an Inquisitor. You get special permission from religious authorities to do all sorts of lovely extrajudicial things the average peon doesn't get to do, because you do it to defend the faith.

The position basically assumes that you are so gonzo for God that you are incorruptible and won't let the ability to put anybody you want to the sword go to your head.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It's similar to the concept of a vow of celibacy as a nun. It comes with the job description - you're a nun, you took an oath that as long as you're a nun, you remain celibate.

It's a Shrine Warrior who is not allowed to summon Phantoms. By becoming an Inquirer, the restriction is lifted.

What's coming up is a notion that often occurs to characters who are focused on obeying the law: sometimes you have to get a guy who is outside the system to enforce the spirit of the law.

She probably should have changed her last name to Dredd.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 1, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

You do plan to show the real Ultimate Weapons, right? There's two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm talking about Excalibur from Arena that gives you 100 HP back per hit and the Boink Hammer from Lv. 20 Kyau.

• Locked thread