Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
those lovely flash games that made it through being blocked by the school network in computer lab, like those particle/sand games and all that stuff, hosted on like some dude's homepage instead of on the major game sites. It's not really very good, and it's painfully unfunny when it tries to be, but it has a lot of nostalgia value and is just entertaining enough to revisit every once in a while and have some fond memories of.

I don't think Fable 3 or 2 were any worse than it, just that by the time the 360 was out 2 was way less impressive than 1 was comparatively during the Xbox's lifespan, and even then it wasn't that impressive.

Anyway I don't have any idea what the general consensus on 1 is anymore, esp. with the hd remake having kind of snuck in under the radar, so please share your Fable stories and opinions, imps.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

My friends and I were all excited for this game back in the day because we really believed Molyneux's crap about it being a giant open world where like you could make a mark in a tree with an axe when you were a kid and then visit the tree as an adult and see how big the tree's grown and your mark would still be there.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I didn't have an xbox until the 360 and my friend would tell me all these crazy stories about Fable 1 so I eventually got it for PC and was disappointed to find out all of his stories were embellished or just fake. I ended up buying Fable 2 for some reason and while not horrible it wasn't very good or memorable. I skipped 3.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Fable was also extremely british, which I didnt care for.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Ok.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Silver Striker posted:

I didn't have an xbox until the 360 and my friend would tell me all these crazy stories about Fable 1 so I eventually got it for PC and was disappointed to find out all of his stories were embellished or just fake. I ended up buying Fable 2 for some reason and while not horrible it wasn't very good or memorable. I skipped 3.

I hadn't really heard much about Fable before it released and I was just told it was a pretty neat game, so I didn't really have much in the way of expectations to be broken, which is probably why I have fond memories of it, kind of like how people who didn't know anything about Oblivion before going in aren't bitter like a lot of ES fans who were following the promo materials. This really applies to any game with a hype train though, really.

Sorry, I am sleepy and forgot I deleted the part actually asking Imps to share their Fable memories.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
It's a glitchy piece of poo poo and playing it normally is a waste of time.

So it's worth a run glitched out.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I borrowed 3 from a friend and the game bugged out on the 'path' thing and I couldn't make progress so I gave it back

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

i got fable for $10 a few months after it came out. some guy at school sold it to me, presumably to buy weed. that's my fable story.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Is the anniversary remake any good

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought my Xbox because of Morrowind. So Fable excited me because it looked so much bigger than Morrowind. Just as I thought the game was about to begin the game ended. My first time being burned by hype.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

This thread is boring so let's ignore the OP and all play the Dan Ball Powder Game.

http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

When you start the Dan Ball Powder Game, the interface may be a little daunting. There are so many options to choose from! The purpose of the Dan Ball Powder Game is to find fun ways that the different materials interact with one another.

So here, I've made the shape of a gun with the Block Tool and filled it with Gunpowder. The Gunpowder will just sit there and not do a whole lot on it's own, but if we add a spark to the mix...

:eyepop: The gunpowder exploded!

Feel free to share your discoveries!

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Seshoho Cian posted:

When you start the Dan Ball Powder Game, the interface may be a little daunting. There are so many options to choose from! The purpose of the Dan Ball Powder Game is to find fun ways that the different materials interact with one another.

So here, I've made the shape of a gun with the Block Tool and filled it with Gunpowder. The Gunpowder will just sit there and not do a whole lot on it's own, but if we add a spark to the mix...

:eyepop: The gunpowder exploded!

Feel free to share your discoveries!

That game so of be epic if u played as Powder from the movie.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i'm not reading 3 paragraphs abut he game fable. fcuk you!

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Seshoho Cian posted:

This thread is boring so let's ignore the OP and all play the Dan Ball Powder Game.

http://dan-ball.jp/en/javagame/dust/
The Dan Ball Powder Game can be used to simulate a simple weather system. Let's start by making a simple ground layer made of Vine.

Then add a few dots of Vine here and there.

Spawn some clouds up top, and let it rain.

Set fire to the ground layer, and watch as the box becomes an endless cycle of evaporation and rain

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

nah just keep this one and change it into the powder game thread, this poo poo is interesting

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The fable series is like a non tryhard version of darknsouls or the witcher.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Heavy Lobster posted:

nah just keep this one and change it into the powder game thread, this poo poo is interesting
confession: i only posted it because that's gonna be my go-to response to poo poo threads from here on out. let it spread far and wide

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The fable series is like a non tryhard version of darknsouls or the witcher.

I think it's closer to the witcher in terms of combat, but also a lot like a not terrible asscreed, or sort of an early batman thing

Y-Hat posted:

confession: i only posted it because that's gonna be my go-to response to poo poo threads from here on out. let it spread far and wide

it's a good image, from a good game

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sir John Feelgood posted:

My friends and I were all excited for this game back in the day because we really believed Molyneux's crap about it being a giant open world where like you could make a mark in a tree with an axe when you were a kid and then visit the tree as an adult and see how big the tree's grown and your mark would still be there.

Same.

Between this and Spore I learned not to pay attention to game hype.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
In Fable 1, If you shot something in the head with an arrow it's head would comically pop off, so I'm willing to forgive a lot of stuff in that game.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
so don't get the anniversary edition, then

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I enjoyed all three fable games because they were all legitimately good games, and after Black & White I knew enough to know that Molyneux had plans larger than would ever actually make the game. It's weird to me how much hate molyneux gets, because he tends to actually make pretty fun games even if they're not everything he wanted to make them and there is so much pure poo poo being churned out on a daily basis.

E: They're smoking crack if they think people will really buy the HD remake for what they want though. Fable 1 is good, but it's also pretty dated at this point.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
As a dumb kid back in the day I let myself get overhyped by most games. But the advertised promises of Fable 1 were on another level.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
fable was cool because you could get blue tatoos if you were a wizard or get really tall and buff and wear cool armor if you were a fighter

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

fable 1 and 2 was pretty fun op

maybe you should just stop listening to marketing hype

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Agean90 posted:

fable 1 and 2 was pretty fun op

maybe you should just stop listening to marketing hype

fable 2 is a tremendous piece of poo poo actually. even if you can get past the godawful framerate it is ugly + had bad gameplay and combat

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Fable is a lot like... A lovely legend of Zelda filled with rear end ugly Brit mugs

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

fable 2 is a tremendous piece of poo poo actually. even if you can get past the godawful framerate it is ugly + had bad gameplay and combat

i never said it was good, just that i had fun with it.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Fable 2 is basically a good Dark Souls sans that lovely death gimmick & co-op that actually works.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Fable 2 is basically a good Dark Souls sans that lovely death gimmick & co-op that actually works.

a friend of mine really wanted me to play co-op fable 2 w/ him so i just hammered on the teleport to partner thing and it constantly did funny stuff in cutscenes and any time i warped in during jumping over something or swimming

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

it also has the loving epic stephen fry from doctor who

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's like Assassin Creed, everyone complained about how it sucked but they bought it anyway so they keep making more sequels.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Arian_Samurai posted:

It's like Assassin Creed, everyone complained about how it sucked but they bought it anyway so they keep making more sequels.

Noone who's actually played Fable thinks it sucks. lt's an awesome series & anyone with more than half a brain knows it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

why dont more games let me shoot pixies in the face with a clockwork revolver???

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i only found out about fable after it was released from a friend who told me you could get married to a door in it. i played it and liked it without the burden of expectation, having your character morph in response to your actions/abilities is a neat feature. fable 3 does the same but with weapons which is a good but unpolished feature in a bad game

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

a good but unpolished feature in a bad game

I think this is the best way to describe Fable. I've had fun with all of them to some degree but I don't know if I'd call any of them well designed. I don't really stress whether it's "good" or not though because I have fun playing them, and would recommend them.

Cyra posted:

so don't get the anniversary edition, then

It's literally just a graphical update, so depends on how much you want to pay for that. I think there are also DLC outfits which is only as important to you as playing dressup in video games is (it should be important to you).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Heavy Lobster posted:

It's literally just a graphical update, so depends on how much you want to pay for that. I think there are also DLC outfits which is only as important to you as playing dressup in video games is (it should be important to you).

it was very important in sleeping dogs

• Locked thread