Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I always liked the fact that the same music clip used for when you first speak to Zelda is used for Darunia here, it just makes things a lot funnier, especially with the large frown on his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Didn't the N64 version have a texture that was an image of the first room of the temple? I remember running toward it at the entrance, instead of running down a dark corridor.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Other games with door mimics include:

Luigi's Mansion

Final Fantasy 4

Mother 3

It's interesting it's not done more often.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Whole lotta water today as Travis joins me for the most hated temple in Zelda, then we kick back for some more of his hilarious life stories at the fishing pond.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I feel like the Goron and Zora Tunics were the precursor to the Goron and Zora forms in MM as well as the Zora Armor in TP. Like how the Tunics protect Link from heatstroke and drowning really makes little sense compared to the forms and I can only assume magic is involved. The Zora Armor has this issue to a lesser extent as well but at least that actually covers Link's mouth.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I think Sheik is supposed to be considered a male, since I believe they use a different voice actor that fits more in line with (Japanese) male characters. If not that, though, it was definitely meant to be more vague. Something you just couldn't tell from a glance.

Batmarde
Oct 5, 2010

Bawk! Bawk !
-snip-

Batmarde fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 16, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So that's the infamous water temple.

I was expecting it to be a problematic dungeon due to having some interesting puzzle with the water mechanic but really it seems very straightforward with a lot "go here next" parts very poorly communicated. The well hidden Hole you must go through at that one point would've been an interesting way to hide a secret.

Seems similar to dungeon #4 of Majora's Mask, since that also had some spatial hijinx controlled by switches and cumbersome means of manipulating the puzzles (play a song and watch an animation just to hold a loving button down) but I don't think it had as many "where the gently caress do I go now" parts.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Isn't there another Ruto cutscene in the water dungeon? I could swear you meet her again if you go through a sorta weird way and get lost

E: also it's implied that the owl is actually the Light Sage. Once he pawns off that Light Medallion on you, he fucks off

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

death .cab for qt posted:

Isn't there another Ruto cutscene in the water dungeon? I could swear you meet her again if you go through a sorta weird way and get lost

E: also it's implied that the owl is actually the Light Sage. Once he pawns off that Light Medallion on you, he fucks off

Hyrule Historia says the Owl is Rauru the Light Sage.

Kallev
Nov 16, 2014
Thorn, Legend of the River King is pretty good. I remember it vaguely so my facts may be off, but I sort of recall a Nintendo Power hint for one of the games that was the only saving grace for my fishing career. It had actual mechanics that my child mind didn't have time for, but that game destroyed long car rides.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This week, Groose gets up close and personal with two generations of dead things.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fun Music Fact! The "main" instrument of the Shadow Temple is a bongo because of Bongo Bongo. :eng101:

Also, the Hover Boots (i think) help out with him hitting the drumhead, you don't bounce around as much? Or something?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I just imagine Groose is going around just trying to do his job and the redeads are huge fans who want his autograph.

And the hover boots allow you to have the time to manually target when Bongo Bongo is playing, since you hover in the air momentarily, yes. Downside is you're running around in a boss fight with ice physics when you do that.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's me, I'm the guy that never took the hoverboots off after getting them.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So Travis, I take it you're a Warlock, since you picked up the Heart of the Praxic Fire.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Ometeotl posted:

It's me, I'm the guy that never took the hoverboots off after getting them.
Was that because you wanted to just constantly sliiiiide into the room with your sweet shades and cool posing fingers? :coal:

Now that I think about it, I really wonder if anybody on the Dark Souls team got really inspired by the Shadow Temple since there's certainly a lot of ideas inbetween. I mean frankly Dead Hand is just a baby Nito in comparison, sorta surprised they didn't put a thing like him in their game.

PRAISE THE SUN! *plays Sun's Song*

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Olivia joins Yoshi and me on a trek through the harsh desert, full of unkillable women thieves, weird love lives, and no real spirits whatsoever.

Pulled myself away from the new Terraria update to edit these. We plus Travis recorded the rest of the LP earlier this week, so the LP will be complete on the 17th. Next update will be the final missing collectibles and the boss gauntlet, then the final update will be Ganon's Castle.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

You better follow through on the 17th. No better birthday present than the end of a long-watched and awaited LP :allears:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Yoshi that Parks and Rec reference was loving ama

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'd personally say the Spirit in Spirit Temple is probably referring to the fact that the Temple is a place of Spiritual worship, it certainly seems more like a place of worship more than any other of the Temples.

EDIT: Also, in OoT and MM, the Armoured Knights are Iron Knuckles, Darknuts aren't in the games.

Judge Tesla fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 4, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

ThornBrain posted:

about evil old people
One of them claims to be the older sister and the other claims to be the younger sister. They both lie about their age in opposites just like they cast spells in opposing elements.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Judge Tesla posted:

I'd personally say the Spirit in Spirit Temple is probably referring to the fact that the Temple is a place of Spiritual worship, it certainly seems more like a place of worship more than any other of the Temples.

EDIT: Also, in OoT and MM, the Armoured Knights are Iron Knuckles, Darknuts aren't in the games.

Aren't these games also the last appearance of Iron Knuckles so far? Even Smash Bros. 3DS and Hyrule Warriors didn't use them.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Dresh posted:

Aren't these games also the last appearance of Iron Knuckles so far? Even Smash Bros. 3DS and Hyrule Warriors didn't use them.

Iron Knuckles show up for 3 games; Adventure of Link, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. In Adventure of Link they're just stronger Darknuts that aren't weak to attacks from behind and were chosen by the King of Hyrule so they're completely different from their OoT and Majora's Mask incarnations.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Neruz posted:

chosen by the King of Hyrule
As someone who read the manual, this part suddenly doesn't make sense, because I'm pretty sure the story text from the manual both says the king died, and that it was Impa who put the palace guardians in place to protect the palace from invaders. Since one of the palace guardians is a blue iron knuckle, and simultaneously the world is overrun by them and other things which are Ganon's (the "King of Evil"'s) henchmen and the like... You can pretty much fill in the rest here and it stops making sense. Is the Zelda 2 manual even reliable? It only works if the "King" they're talking about is the "King of Evil", because it would be weird otherwise.

Whatever. Words about videogames.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I always figured that Twinrova's halos and them going up 'into heaven' is just a generic Japanese thing, where they take christian imagery to represent death or whatever without really looking at the details of what it really means. This kind of stuff seems to happen a lot in Japanese things like animes and games, especially when Nintendo decides not to censor it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

I always figured that Twinrova's halos and them going up 'into heaven' is just a generic Japanese thing, where they take christian imagery to represent death or whatever without really looking at the details of what it really means. This kind of stuff seems to happen a lot in Japanese things like animes and games, especially when Nintendo decides not to censor it.

90's era Nintendo of America was censor happy, Link to the Past was called Triforce of the Gods in Japan and Aghamin was an evil Priest, rather than a Wizard, interestingly however, the Hyrule Historia lists him as being a Priest, which just shows they don't bother to censor things due to possible religions reasons much, if ever now.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Obviously the solution to your problem is to go the other direction and be schmoopy with Olivia in the videos, but still in your deadpan. Go on. Call her your snuggly muffin weasel. For love.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

The penultimate update, where I grab the last of the heart pieces and gold skulltulas, check out some esoterica, and finally take on the boss gauntlet mode.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
There's totally a reason to go behind the block where you need the gauntlets.

If you use the Lens of Truth, you'll spot one last chest in the one of the holes the Like-Likes were in, because only two are visible at first. The last one has a small key.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes Ocarina of Time 3D. Master Quest is available now, but with the dungeon reworkings and the complete map flip, I feel like it deserves its own playthrough, and right now I just want to move on to something else. Someone else can take that one.

If my 3DS capture doesn't completely give out, my next Zelda LP will be A Link Between Worlds. Before that though, I have four Bomberman LPs lined up (64, Second Attack, Saturn, and Fantasy Race) which will probably get a combined thread again, and I might stream other Bomberman games to go with it. You can vote here on whether I kick that off with 64 or Saturn.

Thanks everyone for watching.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Pretty cool LP, glad I watched it, so thanks for it!

Also, my thoughts on why Navi leaves at the end, I believe she leaves you because she's finished the task of saving Hyrule the Deku Tree gave you and her, and since you aren't a Kokiri but a Hylian, there's no more need for her to be with you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ThornBrain posted:

If my 3DS capture doesn't completely give out, my next Zelda LP will be A Link Between Worlds. Before that though, I have four Bomberman LPs lined up (64, Second Attack, Saturn, and Fantasy Race) which will probably get a combined thread again, and I might stream other Bomberman games to go with it. You can vote here on whether I kick that off with 64 or Saturn.

Christ, even more Bomberman? Goodness gracious.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That scene transition after shooting the seed pods really lost something in the translation to 3DS. Maybe the extreme field of view the N64 used made testers dizzy?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

ThornBrain posted:

I have four Bomberman LPs lined up (64, Second Attack, Saturn, and Fantasy Race) which will probably get a combined thread again, and I might stream other Bomberman games to go with it. You can vote here on whether I kick that off with 64 or Saturn.

Oh my god yes. :allears:

Totally looking forward to Link Between Worlds too, that pretty quickly became my favorite Zelda game.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Thanks for the lp. You guys deliver quality again.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I'm going to be testing my 3DS capture for A Link Between Worlds to see its stability. If anyone has player name suggestions, post them here now.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Shiro.

Use bombs whenever you can.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Does that make Ravio purple bomber?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.