Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.

Gromit posted:

Listen to this. Our surf and rips can be brutal, and most of the "tourist found dead" news headlines are due to the ocean.

Funny story. I'm in Cairns and I head down to the beach, and there's a small area netted in with a lifeguard, packed with people. I look left, I look right, and it's virgin tropical beach as far as I can see.
gently caress that I say, so I head way down the beach and find a nice solitary spot and proceed to have a great day at the beach, swimming for most of it.

Walking back, I see the giant warning sign I somehow missed before: Killer sharks, killer jellyfish, killer riptides, even Jason apparently swims in the area.

Whew!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred
Taking the piss out of people is a big part of our humor, and you'll get it worse if you can't give it back. Don't be overly egotistical and you should be fine. This applies moreso to rural areas rather than the more cosmopolitan cities of Sydney and Melbourne, but it's still a distinct difference I've noticed hanging out with Europeans.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

redshirt posted:

Get this: Australians have Burger Kings, but they call the "Hungry Jack's".

good old HJs

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Be sure to call people by their correct name. Davo, Thommo, Bazza, Sheila

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

dud root posted:

Be sure to call people by their correct name. Davo, Thommo, Bazza, Sheila

Dazza.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Op, is your name Bruce?

Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

how does your accent sound, op?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
If you are bushwalking through Tasmania understand that weather can change at a moments notice here and you will freeze to death and then get eaten by the devil.
Also be careful what beer you order at what pub. Australians are very territorial when it comes to alcohol and what may be fine in one region can be seen as symbolic of the enemy in another.

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 1, 2015

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
all vb all the time

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013

Lolie posted:

Wear sunscreen and swim between the flags at our beaches. If you're planning road trips taking you through relatively unpopulated regions,then for gently caress's sake listen to the locals. Don't rely on your mobile phone. Even relatively close to cities there are coverage blackspots. In more remote areas, you can be outside of a coverage area for up to 24 hours.

Be aware that we have random breath and drug testing here and that police have no discretion in respect of these once you blow/swab positive. A lot of traffic offences are detected by technology, so don't assume that the absence of police cars means you'll be fine breaking a road rule just this one time.

Well gently caress. Can cops pull you over for no reason to breathalyze/drug test you, or do they have to have cause?

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013

XTimmy posted:

Taking the piss out of people is a big part of our humor, and you'll get it worse if you can't give it back. Don't be overly egotistical and you should be fine. This applies moreso to rural areas rather than the more cosmopolitan cities of Sydney and Melbourne, but it's still a distinct difference I've noticed hanging out with Europeans.

Haha that'll take some getting used to. I almost got stabbed with a screwdriver 3 days ago because my friend yelled at a dude for texting and driving.

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013

Highly Unnecessary posted:

how does your accent sound, op?

Pretty Philly. I say 'wudder' and 'beggel.' I don't say 'zink' or 'warsh' though, so overall I made out.

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013

Wrageowrapper posted:

If you are bushwalking through Tasmania understand that weather can change at a moments notice here and you will freeze to death and then get eaten by the devil.
Also be careful what beer you order at what pub. Australians are very territorial when it comes to alcohol and what may be fine in one region can be seen as symbolic of the enemy in another.

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Bringing a 20F rated bag, hope it cuts it.

Okay, here goes: what're some of the better beers in Australia?

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

steve cardigan posted:

Well gently caress. Can cops pull you over for no reason to breathalyze/drug test you, or do they have to have cause?

They certainly don't have to justify whatever cause they have come up with to you, so it may as well be no reason.

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
watch Wolf Creek, it is entirely plausible and based on reality, DON'T take risks on the open road, DON'T bother coming to Perth it is an ignorant hole. You'll meet enough obnoxious West Australian shitstains in Melbs as is

e: ice cold VB in stubbies (small bottles) is absolutely fine, don't get wankered

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
australia is basically Little America so it won't be a tough move

Applecross WC.
Sep 13, 2004
Reverence and Disregard

redshirt posted:

Never heard of it, but google images makes it seem like normal, good pizza. I'm skeptical though.

I ate pizza all over Australia and it all sucked. Just bad luck, maybe?

A proper American pizza joint - New Haven style - would rock the continent.

I'm an Australian who has been to New Haven (don't ask why) and the pizza was very average. Thanks.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

steve cardigan posted:

I'm in NSW, so it might be slightly different in other states. Here, every police car carries a breathalyser so if you're pulled over for any reason you can expect to be breathalysed (they'll also want to see your licence and they'll run the registration). Every now and then you'll come across a group of police cars doing RBTs between two points. Sometimes they stop every car and breathalyse the driver, sometimes it's every few cars. The important thing you need to know is that they can stop you for the sole purpose of conducting an RBT and that if you look like you're trying to avoid the RBT checkpoint there's a good chance they'll pursue you.

Our roadside drug testing units are Winnebagos. They're usually set up on major roads and again, they might stop every driver or they might not. The initial saliva screening test takes longer than the breathalyser screen, so you're going to be held up for at least a few minutes if you get stopped at one of these.

Not providing a sample on request carries the same penalty as high range PCA, meaning that you lose your licence on the spot and you're looking at a significant disqualification period as well as a hefty fine. If you show positive on the second drug test, you won't be allowed to drive for 24 hours (any charges against you will depend on the actual lab results, but the penalties are similar to those for alcohol offences).

In NSW, major holiday periods carry double demerit points for certain offences and there are massive police operations at those times. Don't get sucked into playing taxi driver for friends if there's any chance you're going to read positive for alcohol or drugs. If you do blow positive at the roadside, don't think you're not under arrest because you haven't been handcuffed - you're not free to go until that all important second sample has been obtained.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 3, 2015

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redshirt posted:

Funny story. I'm in Cairns and I head down to the beach, and there's a small area netted in with a lifeguard, packed with people. I look left, I look right, and it's virgin tropical beach as far as I can see.
gently caress that I say, so I head way down the beach and find a nice solitary spot and proceed to have a great day at the beach, swimming for most of it.

Walking back, I see the giant warning sign I somehow missed before: Killer sharks, killer jellyfish, killer riptides, even Jason apparently swims in the area.

Whew!

Yeah sharks are fine. Wouldn't bother worrying much about them. Unless they mistake you for a seal they're normally chill.

Jellyfish can just go get hosed though. (https://www.qldbeaches.com/stingers.html).

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Get one of those last of the V8s.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
A big thing to remember is you don't have a protected right to free speech like in the US, I mean it shouldn't really affect you since free speech is a generally accepted unwritten rule, and you'd have to say something pretty awful to get done for it.

A good example, some drunk hillbilly was racially abusing an indian on a bus in Melbourne's south a while ago. The cops were called and summonsed him for offensive speech.

also if someone answers your question with "yeah, nah" - ignore the yeah bit, that's just them acknowledging the question. The answer is nah

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013

Lolie posted:

I'm in NSW, so it might be slightly different in other states. Here, every police car carries a breathalyser so if you're pulled over for any reason you can expect to be breathalysed (they'll also want to see your licence and they'll run the registration). Every now and then you'll come across a group of police cars doing RBTs between two points. Sometimes they stop every car and breathalyse the driver, sometimes it's every few cars. The important thing you need to know is that they can stop you for the sole purpose of conducting an RBT and that if you look like you're trying to avoid the RBT checkpoint there's a good chance they'll pursue you.

Our roadside drug testing units are Winnebagos. They're usually set up on major roads and again, they might stop every driver or they might not. The initial saliva screening test takes longer than the breathalyser screen, so you're going to be held up for at least a few minutes if you get stopped at one of these.

Not providing a sample on request carries the same penalty as high range PCA, meaning that you lose your licence on the spot and you're looking at a significant disqualification period as well as a hefty fine. If you show positive on the second drug test, you won't be allowed to drive for 24 hours (any charges against you will depend on the actual lab results, but the penalties are similar to those for alcohol offences).

In NSW, major holiday periods carry double demerit points for certain offences and there are massive police operations at those times. Don't get sucked into playing taxi driver for friends if there's any chance you're going to read positive for alcohol or drugs. If you do blow positive at the roadside, don't think you're not under arrest because you haven't been handcuffed - you're not free to go until that all important second sample has been obtained.

Don't drive at all, got it.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

steve cardigan posted:

I'll keep that in mind, thanks. Bringing a 20F rated bag, hope it cuts it.

Okay, here goes: what're some of the better beers in Australia?

Anything with James Squire on the label.

And never ask for Fosters, this goes for whatever country you might be in not just Australia.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

steve cardigan posted:

Don't drive at all, got it.

That's fairly NSW specific though, I drove for years in WA and didn't get pulled over once, went through RBTs but never actively targeted and pulled over.
NSW is a godawful bureaucratic nightmare if you own a car, get caught in a no parking zone? $240 dollars. Two minutes over in a 2P? $120.

Registering my vehicle in this state is going to cost me minimum $1500, back home it's half that.

They want your money, and they want it badddd.

Please don't stalk me at 7-11s mate.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Wrageowrapper posted:

And never ask for Fosters, this goes for whatever country you might be in not just Australia.

Little Creatures and Mountain Goat are also good breweries that are widely available. There are a lot of really nice craft beers around at the moment, if you're into that sort of thing.

Assuming you are sticking to the east coast (you should, there is nothing worthwhile west of Melbourne) stay away from CUB, Tooheys and XXXX. It is all horrible poo poo. There are equivalent breweries in SA & WA but if you end up there you have far bigger problems.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Also avoid 5 seeds, it's owned by Tooheys I think and it's the most undrinkable cider on the market.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Wrageowrapper posted:

james squire's chancer is the best beer i've ever had

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Lolie posted:

This is pretty much the same in Melbourne. One other thing to keep in mind is that it sucks to park anywhere within both Sydney and Melbourne city, so you're better off catching public transport. Melbourne has the added bonus of trams, which are now free within the city center, and being actually loving navigable.

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
drug dogs at traino's (train stations) though. And every plural is apostrophised down here, brace yourself

e: dog's

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

STONE OF MADNESS posted:

drug dogs at traino's (train stations) though. And every plural is apostrophised down here, brace yourself

e: dog's

Pretty sure you made up Traino's. I grew up in Bogan Central and have never heard that term
Got searched for drugs once because a drug dog liked the smell of my stanky feet

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Slugnoid posted:

james squire's chancer is the best beer i've ever had

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster
http://www.aussieliquor.com.au/showProduct/Beer/Beer+-+Full+Strength/9320000000291/VICTORIA+BITTER+24+x+STUBBIES+CARTON

:captainpop: holy poo poo look at the price of beer.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

are you a smoker this is very important

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Yeah you're looking at about $1/cigarette

Terry Francona
Jan 20, 2004

by Cowcaster
LOL so a case of cheap rear end beer n a pack of smokes is like 80 bucks in Australia?

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO

theperminator posted:

Pretty sure you made up Traino's. I grew up in Bogan Central and have never heard that term
Got searched for drugs once because a drug dog liked the smell of my stanky feet

I'm in Perth and traino's are very definitely real

the Perth traino

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I stand corrected, sorry for doubting you cobber

STONE OF MADNESS
Dec 28, 2012

PVTREFACTIO
nurries

Adbot