Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

(Didn't even know this existed until a few hours ago when it popped up on TV)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wL93D_u5cs

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/heroes-charge/id900313219
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ucool.hero

Server: 47 Quinnard (NOTE: The first time you play, you are placed on one of the newer servers. Once you complete the first fight you should be able to follow the steps below to change to Quinnard)

How to change servers:

Guild
Once you reach level 32, you can join the Good Squad guild using guild id 110015374

Heroes Charge is yet another F2P game that plays similar to Pocket Knights:
  • The main menu is a series of buildings that unlock at a particular level, allowing you to do more activities
  • You collect a series of heroes, level and gear them up, and form teams to take down various challenges (both PvE and PvP)
  • Public chatroom (although you are limited to 10 posts a day). Guild chat is unlimited.
  • VIP system is in place (if you actually end up buying diamonds, you gain VIP levels which unlock some features)

Unlike Pocket Knights:
  • Combat isn't completely automated. You can activate each hero's ultimate ability yourself once it is charged (except in Arena). The timing of these abilities can be the difference between utter defeat and close victories.
  • You only get one of each hero. If you acquire a duplicate, you acquire hero shards (which are used to evolve heroes).
  • You can compete with whales as a F2P player.
  • Gear is pretty simple. A hero requires a set of specific gear. Once a hero is fully equip, you can promote them, consuming the gear and boosting their stats/gaining abilities. There is no need to optimize gear through enchanting before promoting heroes. The bonus does not carry over.
  • Shocking amount of polish
  • No friends list. There is a guild feature that unlocks at 32
  • I do not think you can increase VIP level unless you buy diamonds (in Pocket Knight's you could increase it without spending a dime thanks to promotions).
  • At the moment, guild limit is locked to 50 people.

You may also notice that this is suspiciously similar to DOTA characters/gear/abilities. That is because it apparently did blatantly use DOTA designs in the past, and then redesigned them later on. Some of that is still lingering (Death Knight's ability set is the exact same as Abaddon's ability set from DOTA).

The in-game currency is diamonds. If you are a F2P player, avoid the gold chest (it isn't worth the risk of getting absolute crap). Save diamonds for stamina and doing "Midas Touch" once a day for the daily quest. Just open the gold chest for free every few days (the first free gold chest appears to guarantee a 3* hero).

I'm in as DontMindMe.

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Some other things to note:
-All heroes can be upgraded to max. From what I can tell, heroes start at 1*-3*, and can then be evolved up to 5*. Because of this, some of the starting heroes are top-tier heroes, or outright essential in some of the modes.
-Always do dailies. They provide the majority of your account experience.
-Arena has its own store to spend tokens, which are rewarded daily based on arena rank. Death Knight and Old Curse appear to be the ones you want to aim for first. Death Knight is essential for Crusade (but not very good in arena), and Old Curse is great in arena.
-Crusade also has its own tokens/store. Get Commander from here and get her to 5* ASAP. Amazing support hero. EDIT: Phoenix (Who was added to crusade recently) is also a decent choice.

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 30, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Decided to give this game a go out of boredom, although I'm guessing we're the only ones playing it.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Decided to give this game a go out of boredom, although I'm guessing we're the only ones playing it.

Nice! I had almost given up on the thread.

Let me know what 3* you get on your first gold chest (or let me know if you don't get one. It seems like it is guaranteed 3*).

Also some more random info:

Heroes that start at 1* require 10 hero shards to unlock them.
Those that start at 2* require 30, and those that start a 3* require 80.

Once you have the hero, you need hero shards to evolve them.

1* --> 2* = 20 hero shards
2* --> 3* = 50 hero shards
3* --> 4* = 100 hero shards
4* --> 5* = 150 hero shards

You can get hero shards in various ways:
1. Completing elite stages. The shard each stage drops is usually the boss's. The icon will display on the level if you three star the stage (to get 3 stars, do not let any of your heroes die during the fight).
2. Completing Crusade stages (some of the chests drop them)
3. From the various store (Merchant, Goblin, Black Market, Crusade, Arena, and Guild store). I am not sure if spending diamonds on hero shards is worth it. The shards worth gold are usually worth it though.
4. Events

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've been throwing diamonds at shards in store because I haven't seen many other uses for them so far. My first 3* hero was Wind Master, which was pretty nice as she's able to dish out a ton of damage, and seems to have easier (earlier accessible) items than the rest of my heroes so I've already got her to rare+1.

Still, I'm wondering if it would have been better to get another front line tank as Admiral really can't hold the line.

edit: oh i'm in as Urgoon

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 29, 2014

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Dreylad posted:

I've been throwing diamonds at shards in store because I haven't seen many other uses for them so far. My first 3* hero was Wind Master, which was pretty nice as she's able to dish out a ton of damage, and seems to have easier (earlier accessible) items than the rest of my heroes so I've already got her to rare+1.

Still, I'm wondering if it would have been better to get another front line tank as Admiral really can't hold the line.

edit: oh i'm in as Urgoon

Ah, yeah, Wind Master is nice to have.

Admiral does have difficulty holding the front line. Don't neglect her once you find a replacement though, because she is needed for one of the Trials (female-only team) since she is the only female tank.

A nice replacement is War Chief, which can be acquired from elite stages. He becomes amazing once promoted to Purple rank due to the ability he gains (especially in Arena). May take awhile to get him though, since you need 30 shards.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Just started. Kinda bumbling along at the moment. Team lvl 2 so far.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DontMindMe posted:

Ah, yeah, Wind Master is nice to have.

Admiral does have difficulty holding the front line. Don't neglect her once you find a replacement though, because she is needed for one of the Trials (female-only team) since she is the only female tank.

A nice replacement is War Chief, which can be acquired from elite stages. He becomes amazing once promoted to Purple rank due to the ability he gains (especially in Arena). May take awhile to get him though, since you need 30 shards.

Yeah I joined a random guild since there are a few perks, like hiring a mercenary for crussade another tank which helped me get to wave 7 or so at level 34. Good to know about Admiral being the only female tank -- I might try to focus on collecting more shards to evolve her.

I think Crusade must have level brackets (30-34/35-39?) though, because today at team level 36 I had to go up against level 39 waves which meant I didn't get past wave two. So much for my crusade points today. Sad thing is I almost have enough to buy 5 death knight or commando shards. Maybe it's just bad luck, I'm not quite sure but stalling out on Crusade early sucks. It's a great way to get a ton of money and loot.

Getting points in Arena is slow. I'm now sub-10k rank but every other person is much higher level than me now. The major bottleneck (besides team xp of course) is getting items -- having to run the same instance for blades of tyr chews up stamina, but the only other way to get them is rank 2 trials which are way out of my reach right now.

Is it worth spending gold on 10x chests? I haven't bothered, mainly focusing on upgrading skills, enchants where I think it will help, and merchant items.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 29, 2014

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Good to know about Admiral being the only female tank -- I might try to focus on collecting more shards to evolve her.

Is it worth spending gold on 10x chests? I haven't bothered, mainly focusing on upgrading skills, enchants where I think it will help, and merchant items.

By the way, new heroes were recently added/going to be added, so maybe there is/will be a new female tank soon.

Also, you can retreat from crusade fights with no repercussions. You can redo fights over and over until you get the optimal outcome.

All my gold has been going towards skills. 10x chest can be useful if your lucky, skills come first in my opinion.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Wow, I didn't know about being able to retreat from Crusade fights, I never thought to try. I don't think I would have done any better. Fighting teams 3 levels higher than you is going to be rough no matter what.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Wow, I didn't know about being able to retreat from Crusade fights, I never thought to try. I don't think I would have done any better. Fighting teams 3 levels higher than you is going to be rough no matter what.

True, especially for the first few fights. It did save me recently where poor luck resulted in my recruited Death Knight dying the very first match. A retry resulted in everyone living with full health and meter.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah, my first go my admiral died pretty early on and I managed to limp to wave 3, would have helped to know that!

Getting a bigger hero pool will help. I need to work on that, but it's slow going. Got all 6 of my heroes to rare+1 now so I should be able to make some decent progress into chapter 6 and hopefully open up some more elite instances as I go.

TiredDaemon
Jul 14, 2006

Xythar, Kill: Spoonsy, ##Vote: TiredDaemon

This seems like a fun, slightly more interactive pocket knights. I'll try this out for a few hours.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Okay wow surprising amount of polish, I expected Engrish crap and lovely quality but drat this is pretty smooth.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

EzEight posted:

Okay wow surprising amount of polish, I expected Engrish crap and lovely quality but drat this is pretty smooth.

I know right? I initially wrote it off as a cheap knockoff until a friend recommended it.

Also, I somehow managed to sneak into the 3rd best guild on the server (Allstars) due to Guild leader drama that was happening (which seems to have been resolved).

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 30, 2014

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Any of the starter I should focus on?

Emberstar seems like a given with her OHKO potential.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

EzEight posted:

Any of the starter I should focus on?

Emberstar seems like a given with her OHKO potential.

Chaplain will always be useful for Crusade thanks to their healing ability.
Shadowleaf is great for arena due to her silence ability.
Admiral isn't the best tank, but I believe she is the only female tank, which is needed for one of the Trials (female-only team).

I stopped using Emberstar and Lightning Master, but that is only because I have a bunch of other heroes to choose from now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You eventually get a series of quests to run each of the first 20 elite instances twice, which all told will give you enough shards to upgrade Shadowleaf, so it's always good to keep her up to par.

Depending on your luck it might be a while before you get another tank, so Admiral is also a priority. Beyond that, any 3 star heroes you get from the big chest should help.

Also I need to get into Allstars or another bigger guild. The guild I'm in is alright but being able to hire a Death Knight seems to be the key for crusade.

edit: sweet got Commando :toot:

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 1, 2015

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008
I just started and the game progression looks to be pretty smooth. Got lucky with my first free gold chest and pulled a Machinist, so that's made the first 3 chapters fairly easy, although I've been neglecting the Chaplain in favour of damage output so far.
Picked up the Wind Master with the free diamond chest, not sure who who I'm going to swap her in with - either Machinist or Lightning Master.
I can see myself playing this for a month or so, will probably spend a few bucks for the premium pass.

inkmoth
Apr 25, 2014

So, I might have just hosed up good. Started this game and really was enjoying it. Figured I'd live up to my porpoise gender and be a miniature whale - dropped five bucks to take advantage of the weird promotion that ends today.

Unfortunately, I was on the wrong server, and now I can't find any way to get my gem things or my free ice wizard thing on the goony one. :downs: If I want to play with goons, am I out the five bucks?

If nobody knows a way off the top of their head, I'll see if support can do anything for me.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

inkmoth posted:

So, I might have just hosed up good. Started this game and really was enjoying it. Figured I'd live up to my porpoise gender and be a miniature whale - dropped five bucks to take advantage of the weird promotion that ends today.

Unfortunately, I was on the wrong server, and now I can't find any way to get my gem things or my free ice wizard thing on the goony one. :downs: If I want to play with goons, am I out the five bucks?

If nobody knows a way off the top of their head, I'll see if support can do anything for me.

The ice mage is a "new server opening" event, so I don't think they will let you transfer that. The only event going on in the goon server is the "login Jan 1-3 for stuff" one.

See what support says. Beyond that you may be out 5 bucks :(.

Should I fix the OP to make it more obvious that the goon server isn't the default one?

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Make a screenshot guide on how to check. Pictures attract more attention.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DontMindMe posted:

The ice mage is a "new server opening" event, so I don't think they will let you transfer that. The only event going on in the goon server is the "login Jan 1-3 for stuff" one.

See what support says. Beyond that you may be out 5 bucks :(.

Should I fix the OP to make it more obvious that the goon server isn't the default one?

The default server changes every few days. I got chucked on server 47 and have a decent enough guild. A few people have death knights listed as mercenaries. If I had known there was a group presence sooner I would have moved but I have too much progress now to swap.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Byolante posted:

The default server changes every few days. I got chucked on server 47 and have a decent enough guild. A few people have death knights listed as mercenaries. If I had known there was a group presence sooner I would have moved but I have too much progress now to swap.

Server 47 is the goon server though.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

EzEight posted:

Make a screenshot guide on how to check. Pictures attract more attention.

Done

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Can you play on more than one server at once, or is all of your progress lost if you switch?

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Serious Frolicking posted:

Can you play on more than one server at once, or is all of your progress lost if you switch?

You can play on more than one server, but each server has its own save. You won't lose any progress.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
2 more lv until Guilds unlock~

So how many people are you waiting for until we make a Goon guild?

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
I just hit 30 too.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DontMindMe posted:

Server 47 is the goon server though.

I thought I was, must have just remembered what the goon one was, I'm actually on 56

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Just hit lv32. IGN:EzEight.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
DontMindMe, I've "applied" to Allstars, not sure if you're still in but if I can get in maybe we can stage a goon takeover. Until we get our own guild up anyway.

Also if anyone has done a booty cavern some tips would be appreciated. The instructions aren't, uh, clear.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 3, 2015

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Dreylad posted:

DontMindMe, I've "applied" to Allstars, not sure if you're still in but if I can get in maybe we can stage a goon takeover. Until we get our own guild up anyway.

Also if anyone has done a booty cavern some tips would be appreciated. The instructions aren't, uh, clear.

You can assign heroes to work in the cavern in order to get diamonds (appears to be 1 per hour) and Gold/EXP Potions.
Once you setup a cave, you can invite others to also work in the same cave. This adds additional defenses, because an enemy needs to defeat all workers before they can steal resources.

Any heroes you currently have in the guild mercenary camp cannot be used in cave, and vice versa. Heroes assigned to either can still be used everywhere else (Arena, Campaign, Crusade, etc.).

EDIT: You can also attack other peoples caves. Gold is used to find caves, and then bread is used to actually attack them. You get bread over time, or after each attack on your cave (check the Logs).

DontMindMe fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 3, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
not going to play this because i respect blizzard's intellectual property rights, op

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Dreylad posted:

Asked about it. Apparently they added in a minimal VIP limit (I think I slipped in before that went into affect) and a level limit (I'd assume it is 46 for guild raid, but it seems like they keep increasing it).

:( Goon takeover does not seem likely.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'm 43 and dont think I'm going to spend money on this game, so I'm outta luck. Guess its goon guild or bust!

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Well, I made a guild if you guys were still interested - search ID for "110015374"

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Niton posted:

Well, I made a guild if you guys were still interested - search ID for "110015374"

I'll join once the guild builds up a bit more. Reliant on some high level DKs in current guild for crusade. (around lvl 53)

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008
When you switch servers do you keep your all your heroes/inventory/progress etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

Suck-A-Sage posted:

When you switch servers do you keep your all your heroes/inventory/progress etc?

When you switch servers you start from the beginning. However, the old save will still be around if you return to the old server.

• Locked thread