Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victis
Mar 26, 2008

DemonMage posted:

Yeah I'm kinda in the same position.
I'm player level 22.
24 Wind Master +1 (3/8 skills), 24 Admiral +1 (8/8), 24 Emberstar +1 (7/18), 24 Chaplain +1 (20/2), 21 Shadowleaf (4/7) | 20 Lightning Master +1 (3/3)
I'm on 4-3: Back Under the Leaves, and the bosses just shred my Admiral and I'm not really doing enough damage to rush them down either.
The majority of the gear slots I'm missing are from chapters I haven't unlocked yet, but I'll go back and Raid what little I can, which seems to be better than straight running it because of the bonus xp potions.

The boss type mobs are doing 400-500 a hit against my Admiral, who only has a couple thousand hp it seems.

[Edit] Also what time/zone does rollover and other events happen?

Reset is 4AM PST/7AM EST.

Raids are good when you want to be lazy and not sit through the battle but aren't strictly better; instead of the characters that participate in the battle getting exp, you get ~the equivalent xp in potions to feed whoever at a later time. They are also useful to quickly semi-game the drop system for soul stones when you get to that point.

Early on you're hamstrung by your team level, since your characters max level is determined by that. You can grind out some team xp just from stamina, but most will come from your dailies. You increase your team level which allows you to level up your heroes further, which allows you to progress, repeat ad infinitum. Often times missions that were difficult are suddenly cake after a level or two (and the gear that you are then able to equip) and a few skill levels.

Elite campaigns aren't super useful early on. Cleric is a decent tank to get stones for, War Chief is a good long term goal, and you'll want whatever Leaves Shadow and Chaplain stones you gan get. Otherwise use your stamina for getting any equippable gear you can. All stamina is worth 1 team xp/stamina no matter what mission so there's no reason to just grind without a purpose (progression, gear, elites for stones).

Victis fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Are you sure about that on raids? It says that raiding a stage gives me 6 XP and then finishing the stage the report also said I gained 6 XP. And then on top of that I get bonus rewards of potions.

I'd imagine it's unclear presentation and you're correct, but just want to double check.

[Edit] Was able to test it, didn't get any experience. Though if it's 6 * 5 = 30 xp for a run, the 60-120+ I'm getting in potions seems to make it worth it for now.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 6, 2015

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

You might be confused, there's two types of experience.

Team exp which levels your account, and Hero experience that levels up your heroes. Your heroes cannot individually level up past whatever your account level is.

Team exp is gained 1/stamina spent (i.e. 6 for normal and 12 for elite missions) and for completing your dailies.

Hero exp comes from fighting in Arena, trials, missions etc. or by feeding them potions. The game is designed so that the equivalent exp of the potions you get is just about the same as fighting (it's a small difference). The benefit of potions is that you can feed them to a specific guy to catch him up or if your heroes are capped so that you aren't wasting exp if they're maxed at your current team level. If you fight a mission they will gain almost exactly what you get in potions. Your account will still only get 6 or 12 exp.

Victis fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 6, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I get the concept just didn't see anything to denote the numbers I were looking at (beside on the potions) were account rather than character based.

That's cool though, the raid tickets are way lazier and my heroes are all capped so for gear farming for now raids still the way to go so I don't waste it. Thanks for the help.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I got professional killer from my gold chest drop. Is there anyone in the starting 5 he should be subbed in for?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Game looks interesting. I'll bite.

Is it recommended to restart the game in order to get a certain type of unit? Or can I just roll with what I pull and go from there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

m.hache posted:

Game looks interesting. I'll bite.

Is it recommended to restart the game in order to get a certain type of unit? Or can I just roll with what I pull and go from there.

Everyone gets the same starting 5

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Of the 5 starters:

Shadowleaf is top tier for her DPS potential and silence.
Chaplain is always useful for crusades you main source of gold

Admiral is too squishy to be a tank but is the only female tank for the all female dungeon so keep her up to date if you have the resources.
The other 2 aren't worth investing resources to be frank.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!
Lightning Master is useful in a pinch based on his high energy regen and purple magic attack passive that will usually let you ult at least once per wave for a good chunk of damage. I have mine at 53 in my grand arena team until I can find & level up better DPS heroes.

Who is the 5th starter?

Edit: Death Mage trivializes the female only dungeon as well so Admiral is even less useful if you manage to get one.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Tequila posted:

Lightning Master is useful in a pinch based on his high energy regen and purple magic attack passive that will usually let you ult at least once per wave for a good chunk of damage. I have mine at 53 in my grand arena team until I can find & level up better DPS heroes.

Who is the 5th starter?

Edit: Death Mage trivializes the female only dungeon as well so Admiral is even less useful if you manage to get one.

Lina, err Emberstar.

Admiral is still real nice for the lady-only dungeon with a death mage because of her AoE stun while the DM does work.

vulturesrow posted:

I got professional killer from my gold chest drop. Is there anyone in the starting 5 he should be subbed in for?

Skeleton archer seems pretty bad to be honest. As a 3* he'll have very good stats and his role replaces Drow but she has that AoE silence and he just has a bunch of self-buffs. Use him instead of LM/Emberstar for the physical challenge and early on instead of Drow for normal PvE but he's mid-low tier at best.

Victis fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 6, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The problem with Clinkz is that while he can do great physical damage any hit seems to interrupt him, so he's easily chain-locked into not doing anything while the rest of your team dies.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
Skeleton archer can carry you early on but you will want to replace him by the time you start purpling.

And I haven't found any redeeming qualities for emberstar :/.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

At what video level do you have to start more closely managing your level ups vs stamina remaining?

What do guys prioritize when raising character skills?
Is there a call on the characters skills?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Emberstar is nice for the outland portal bug. That's all, really.

Also, depth's voice is another female tank so you aren't stuck with admiral indefinitely.

As for character skills, you will want to max out skills for all of your main team once you can start raking in gold from crusade. Until then, don't worry about it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Is there limit on how many hero tokens you can farm from an instance in a day?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It seems like in every mobile game I play, I get the half dressed succubus or dark mage. I assume ditching Emberstar for the Succubus is the right move?

I also got a dude called Psychopath, but he's competing with a dwarf lightning caster and both dwarves and lighting mages have a special place in my heart.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004

Echophonic posted:

It seems like in every mobile game I play, I get the half dressed succubus or dark mage. I assume ditching Emberstar for the Succubus is the right move?

I also got a dude called Psychopath, but he's competing with a dwarf lightning caster and both dwarves and lighting mages have a special place in my heart.

Succubus is better than emberstar and will last a log time. Only recently have I found succubus to be too squishy and I'm at 65.

They need to add in migrations, my guild of 45 is a ghost town and every other top guild doesn't speak English.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Is there limit on how many hero tokens you can farm from an instance in a day?

3 attempts per instance. You can reset them based on your VIP level, but no hardcap as far as I know.

Ryaath
Apr 8, 2003

I'm sort of tank poor and support high... but my team of:
Admiral
Vengeance Spirit (3*)
Phoenix (2*)
Wind Master (3*)
Shadowleaf (2*)

Poops enough damage/stun not to care.

Also have:
Mystic
Commando
Shallows Keeper
Machinist

But pretty sure the 5 I mentioned make the best setup...

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Ryaath posted:

I'm sort of tank poor and support high... but my team of:
Admiral
Vengeance Spirit (3*)
Phoenix (2*)
Wind Master (3*)
Shadowleaf (2*)

Poops enough damage/stun not to care.

Also have:
Mystic
Commando
Shallows Keeper
Machinist

But pretty sure the 5 I mentioned make the best setup...

Commando is amazing, I would definitely use her over Shadowleaf in PvE if you have to pick. Only thing Drow has over her is the silence.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Shallows keeper is only marginally better than admiral to start with, but you can buy his fragments from the guild shop. A lovely 2 star tank is better than a lovely 1 star tank any day. His stun also hits a larger area than admiral's. Machinist is poor at low levels, but with how his 4th skill works he just gets better and better as you level it. Mystic by himself is never exactly great, but he can add a bunch of damage for a magic-based party.

Personally, I vastly prefer characters I can buy fragments for. Stars make a huge difference, and farming elite instances is slow and random.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002

Victis posted:

Commando is amazing, I would definitely use her over Shadowleaf in PvE if you have to pick. Only thing Drow has over her is the silence.

Commando and Shadowleaf make a great combination for a physical attack based team.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

So I just hit 30 and was wondering if anyone wanted to effort post on crusades. I did read this guide http://www.urgametips.com/2014/10/heroes-charge-how-to-complete-crusade.html but I only have 6 heroes right now.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
Crusade is basically a 15 wave endurance run. You get a health and energy boost after defeating a wave from your regen, but your health, energy, deaths, and rez counters (for heroes who can self rez like phoenix and war chief) carry over between each wave.

Protips:
* If you retreat from a wave that's going poorly everything is reset to how it was before you started the wave. You can use this swap out different heroes on a wave if you have something that can counter what you're up against.
* You can keep trying the crusades as long as you have heroes to toss into the meat grinder. I used to use waves of weaker heroes to soften up tougher waves for my main team, but this tactic runs the risk of building up energy for your opponent.

Two heroes you want to be on the look out for on crusades:
* Death Knight: THE tank for crusades because the energy carryover mechanic allows you to ult at least once on most waves to absorb ridiculous amounts of damage.
* Death Mage basically trivialize crusades. She has an insanely high magic attack and energy regen that lets her poo poo AOE damage, her ult has a big self heal when it ends so you can start each round at full hp if you can time it right, and to top it all off she also gets a silence for that extra layer of "gently caress you."

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So it says Ember Blade is a front-line agile hero, is he a better tank than the Admiral assuming similar levels/tiering? As it'll be... awhile before I get any Arena Hero at 30 currency a day.

[Edit] Looks like he's good DPS, but supposedly needs purple to really be worth it.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 9, 2015

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug
Joined as Porklord. Fun game so far.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Great time to farm items now guys!

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Really digging ember blade. His blue skill absorbs magic attacks and burns frontline tanks.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Just joined the guild as Echophonic. Hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to contribute.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Well I've officially hit the stamina wall. Time to download some other gatchapon.

What's the best way to use the obscene amount of raid tickets I've accumulated?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Sell them.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Someone asked this in guild chat earlier, so here's a list of some good bottleneck items to farm during the double drop event:

Corgieran Glaive (Chapter 6)
Stainless Axe Reel (Chapter 7)
Kelossian Crusher Reel (Chapter 8)
Chest Plate (Chapter 4)
Ice Staff (Chapter 6)
Sol'sketh Reel (Chapter 7)
Pipe Reel (Chapter 7)
Nedan Bone Chest Reel (Chapter 7)

If you don't need Chest Plates and aren't on Chapter 6+, just worry about farming hero pieces.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Just to be sure I'm not missing anything... hero pieces only come from Elite correct? Which doesn't get updated drop rates from this event, but is still a better use of your stamina than farming items you don't have a use for.

Also Ember Blade is pretty great as a front line hero if all you have otherwise is Admiral.
I'm running:
Shadowleaf ** Blue+1
Wind Master *** Blue+1
Chaplain * Blue+1
Ember Blade * Blue+1
Commando * Blue+1

To better effect in campaign/crusade than Admiral being up front. Magic immunity + AE damage lets you get through the front line quickly and onto the softer targets behind. And his ultimate going off can put him behind the enemy's tanks too if you can get a heal off to keep him up while he's back there decimating the softer DPS/support.

I guess starring him up might wind up being too lovely, but he's super fun right now while I'm cockblocked by my account level from progressing too far.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I just picked up cleric. Is he a straight upgrade over admiral?

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I just picked up cleric. Is he a straight upgrade over admiral?

Not really, Cleric is more of a (somewhat subpar) healer than a straight up tank like Admiral.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Cleric is a front-line support, and definitely not a primary tank, despite any misgivings I may have had in the past - If you have another frontline unit, he can be a great support, but you need someone with good bulk & offense like Iron Hoof or Savage One for that.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Niton posted:

Cleric is a front-line support, and definitely not a primary tank, despite any misgivings I may have had in the past - If you have another frontline unit, he can be a great support, but you need someone with good bulk & offense like Iron Hoof or Savage One for that.

I've gotten him up to blue and he is one piece of gear away from +1. Admiral is also one upgrade away from +1. What's the next best tank to be going after in the near term. Obviously Death Knight it huge but hes a long way off.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
I think tank progression looks something like:

Admiral -> Savage One -> War Chief -> Death Knight -> Iron Hoof / Cloud Walker

e: this isn't a strict tiering, but it's a good order of when you should expect new tanks to come online.

Niton fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 11, 2015

Jehuti
Nov 19, 2010
So what should I be spending gems on in this game? Midas and stamina recharges only? Save for the 10 gold chest pull? Or is there something else cool I should save up for.

Games pretty fun so far and I joind the guild as Djehuty.

Jehuti fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I've been doing stamina primarily and some Midas Touch. They seem to be the best bet unless you can get a 10x pull and get lucky with it being something useful, which seems slim. Stamina helps your player level which seems to be the biggest gatekeeper to getting powered up (and accessing important stuff like crusade, booty cave, etc). And Gold is, as always in these games, super useful.

• Locked thread