Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
That makes a lot of sense. Ranking up heroes seems pretty time-consuming. I think I'll start saving up, then. It'll probably help with later gear, too, to save on grinding for it.

Also, there's a random goblin merchant after fights? I have never seen such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Echophonic posted:

That makes a lot of sense. Ranking up heroes seems pretty time-consuming. I think I'll start saving up, then. It'll probably help with later gear, too, to save on grinding for it.

Also, there's a random goblin merchant after fights? I have never seen such a thing.

It's rare for it to appear after any given fight, stays for an hour once spawned, and it carries more stuff than the normal shop; it also only refreshes every day normally. It unlocks after a certain team level.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Speaking of reasons to spend Gems on Stamina (and Instance resets): 2x Hero Piece drops from Elite Dungeons for the next 3 days, starting from reset. Good chance to get some of your Elite-only heroes up to full speed.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Wish I'd seen this thread when I started. I have a level 45 team on a different server and starting over kinda sucks.

Dimix
Aug 1, 2004
Someone said they were going to put in server transfers. I'm holding out for that.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah they had them active for a few hours but had to disable them since people were gaining millions of grand arena tokens when transferring.

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?
This envelope event is great. Allstars (2nd guild on server) is full of whales, so there has been a steady stream of envelopes to claim. That's a lot of free diamonds for me!

Still can't believe I managed to get in this guild during guild leader drama, and not been kicked yet. Seems like as long as I contribute 600 guild activity a day I'm safe.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
If you haven't gotten War Chief this event is probably your best bet at getting him.

Savage one would be your second priority, his armor reduction helps out in raids.

From there on I would consider getting Silencer. Not game breaking but fun, silencing heroes about to use their Ult is always satisfying.

rundxdi
Feb 3, 2004

Soup Of The Day

Joined the guild as rundxdi. Just saved up enough crystals to get the 10 crystal pack dealy - have the starting five, vanguard warrior, shadow shaman, frost mage, imperial executioner, and professional killer. Not sure what a good group of 5 is to run for story stuff, but its nice that I have more than 5 usable people for crusades now I guess. Working on getting most of these dudes out of green status for now to see how they stand up to each other - any suggestions for who's really good in that group?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Would it be better to buy tokens to 2 star commando or maybe pick up phoenix or one of the other heroes in the crusade store?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

vulturesrow posted:

Would it be better to buy tokens to 2 star commando or maybe pick up phoenix or one of the other heroes in the crusade store?

Phoenix is an excellent addition, its ult can clear a wave on its own if fired early enough. Just be warned that the resurrection skill carries over between crusade waves, and isn't 3 reses per wave.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Phoenix rules in arena/caves in my opinion, but yeah not so awesome for crusades just like q_k said. I usually charge her up in the first few rounds and then save her to kamikaze a tough wave later on.

Commando is really awesome too though, I'm working on 4-starring mine now. Almost a necessity for PvP.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Glancing at the high level PvP teams people are running, almost all of them have Leaves Shadow and Commando. Eventually they drop Commando but I imagine she gets slotted into the second Grand Arena team.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Incase anyone doesn't know this, there's a button in your team leader menu for "What's New" that takes you to current patch notes. Also on the forums is upcoming patch stuff, March's 1.8 patch seems pretty neat.

quote:

New Features:
- Ancient Temple: This feature will be unlocked randomly during battles. You will need to invite your fellow guildmates to help complete it and get awesome awards of hero gear and other items.
- Crusade: Added a Hard Mode in Crusade. Leaders will get double rewards under this mode.
- Soul Shop: Replaced the Martial Merchant with Soul Shop. Your extra soul stones will be used to redeem Soul Coins in exchange of Swordsmaster and hero gear.
- Legendary Quests: The second batch of Legendary heroes will be Savage One, Depths Voice, Mystic, Lightning Elemental and Emberstar.

As well as the usual three new heroes.

Apparently for Hard Mode there's no Health/Energy regen and you can choose to start in Hard and downgrade to Normal later.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 19, 2015

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Just got my first full crusade clear. I now have 2390 crusade points. That is enough to buy Phoenix and get myself 4 soul stones away from 2*-ing commando. Seems like the best use of points, but is there a case to be made for purchasing another 10 token hero? The other ones that are 10 are mystic, pilot, and rifleman I believe.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
All 3 are useful when you hit 55. Mystic is probably the best because he's one of the key heroes in a heavy magic team which is useful for both Arena, Crusade, and 1 of the portals (and can help support some other portals due to his purple skill). Rifleman and Pilot are both good for some of the portals, useful in all physical teams, and are good for guild raids (Rifleman especially).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

koolkal posted:

All 3 are useful when you hit 55. Mystic is probably the best because he's one of the key heroes in a heavy magic team which is useful for both Arena, Crusade, and 1 of the portals (and can help support some other portals due to his purple skill). Rifleman and Pilot are both good for some of the portals, useful in all physical teams, and are good for guild raids (Rifleman especially).

You were supposed to make my decision easier. ;) Thanks for the insight though. Who would you take first? Would you take Mystic over Phoenix?

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 19, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Commando and Phoenix are both significantly better than the other 3. As far as they go:

• Pilot is alright but completely unessential for anything i've seen, though he's a good pickup for Northern Dragon if you're not going to get Old Curse any time soon.
  • Rifleman is interesting but only really good for a couple of specific things, and there are replacements for him for that.
  • Mystic is only good at really high levels, but he has good utility for Grand Arena and magic damage teams.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Niton posted:

Commando and Phoenix are both significantly better than the other 3. As far as they go:

• Pilot is alright but completely unessential for anything i've seen, though he's a good pickup for Northern Dragon if you're not going to get Old Curse any time soon.
  • Rifleman is interesting but only really good for a couple of specific things, and there are replacements for him for that.
  • Mystic is only good at really high levels, but he has good utility for Grand Arena and magic damage teams.

Yeah I'm definitely using some of the points to get commando to 2*. Thanks for the help.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

DemonMage posted:

Apparently for Hard Mode there's no Health/Energy regen and you can choose to start in Hard and downgrade to Normal later.

Lack of energy regen is going to require some rethinking of Crusade teams, or just having a really full roster. Can't Death Mage/Death Knight spam your way to victory. Well maybe Death Mage if she can pick up most of the kills to regain her energy.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Dreylad posted:

Lack of energy regen is going to require some rethinking of Crusade teams, or just having a really full roster. Can't Death Mage/Death Knight spam your way to victory. Well maybe Death Mage if she can pick up most of the kills to regain her energy.

If Iron Hoof keeps his every wave shield, he'll be the premier Hard Crusade unit - his shield is crazy powerful over 15 waves. I think Cleric pops up massively in value without outside sources of regen, as well, because nobody else brings his non-ult healing to the table.

On another note: What comps have you guys been using for Super Silencer? I feel like I should be able to do more damage, but I don't know if I want to invest in Rifleman to test my theory out.

On my 830k run, I used:

Iron Hoof (3*, 65)
Savage One (3*, 65)
Shadow Shaman (2*, 64)
Shadowleaf (3*, 65)
Commando (3*, 65)

The easiest answers for me seem to be Rifleman and Psychic Sword, but i'm not really close to having either of them ready. Any discussion would be pretty neat, even if you're lower level!

Niton fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 19, 2015

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Yeah I'm regretting not focusing on Iron Hoof but there are so many other heroes to get!

I see Rifleman pop up even in some physical-heavy arena teams at very high levels, so I assume he's top-tier eventually.

I'm running:

Savage One (3* 68)
Shadow Shaman (2* 67)
Windranger (4* 69)
Commando (4* 69)
Leaves Shadow (3* 69)

I could sub Vanguard Warrior in instead of Windranger maybe? I'm not sure.

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Super Silencer talk:

Because he steals energy and silences I've gone with a heavy phys team, with commando and shadow leaf for their buffs, and war chief for his life steal. The rest of my team is just the other high physical damage heroes I have which is poisoned one and deathgore.

Only level 61 currently, so am getting no where near the numbers of Rootballa and Urgoon, but I'm guessing this is just the levels because the boss is 65.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
Just unlocked Grand Arena yesterday. Who would you guys suggest I focus on getting first - Death Mage or Iron Hoof? Both are very tempting, thinking of Iron Hoof only because I already have a handful of pieces for him...

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is Arcane Sapper any good? I just got a full one from a gold 10x pull, as well as a cleric (which I had). It was a good pull. He looks pretty cool, I'll say that for him.

Edit: Oh my god he teleports into the back line of the enemy and does an AoE. :allears:

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Feb 19, 2015

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Echophonic posted:

Is Arcane Sapper any good? I just got a full one from a gold 10x pull, as well as a cleric (which I had). It was a good pull. He looks pretty cool, I'll say that for him.

I think every one of the top 10 arena players use him, he's really good. However from what I understand he doesn't really come into his own until like level 70 or so. Mine is only 57 I think and he's too squishy to be reliable right now.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Daveski posted:

I think every one of the top 10 arena players use him, he's really good. However from what I understand he doesn't really come into his own until like level 70 or so. Mine is only 57 I think and he's too squishy to be reliable right now.

I'll keep working on leveling him up, then. Seems like a better use of my time than Machinist or Vanguard Warrior. They both seem pretty sub-par. I'm liking Shallows Keeper, though.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

Roid666 posted:

Super Silencer talk:

Because he steals energy and silences I've gone with a heavy phys team, with commando and shadow leaf for their buffs, and war chief for his life steal. The rest of my team is just the other high physical damage heroes I have which is poisoned one and deathgore.

Only level 61 currently, so am getting no where near the numbers of Rootballa and Urgoon, but I'm guessing this is just the levels because the boss is 65.

I'm nowhere near you guys level-wise, but I'm finding that Cloud Warrior and Fallen Dominion are great for this. The clones soak up a lot of high-damage attacks, so even though I'm sub-50, I can occasionally last until time runs out

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Haha well yeah, Cloud Walker is ridiculous in general so good job on that.

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
Super Silencer:

Been using Poisoned One/Shadowleaf/Commando/Rifleman/War Chief and dealing decent damage. Rifleman deals about 3 times more damage than anyone else on the team so it may be worth getting him up to speed. He is helped by all the buffs the other heroes bring to the table though so it's difficult to single out an under-performer.

------

Glad there's a promotion for Ember Blade, he's my top performing DPS in campaign and crusade even at 1 star. His purple skill is crazy good. It triggers at the beginning of each wave and off of his ultimate ability if he's crit or is near death, and the life leech component brings him back to nearly full health, allowing the cycle to repeat (if he's not focused down).

I did just pull a Death Mage from gold chests so I may have to give a magic based team a try...if I can get enough exp items.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Just got my first full crusade clear. I now have 2390 crusade points. That is enough to buy Phoenix and get myself 4 soul stones away from 2*-ing commando. Seems like the best use of points, but is there a case to be made for purchasing another 10 token hero? The other ones that are 10 are mystic, pilot, and rifleman I believe.

As luck would have it my first chest pull today gave me a Phoenix! Second pull gave me a Mystic piece. I think the game is trying to tell me something....Wondering if i should use all my Crusade points on Commando now our picking up Mystic...

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

vulturesrow posted:

As luck would have it my first chest pull today gave me a Phoenix! Second pull gave me a Mystic piece. I think the game is trying to tell me something....Wondering if i should use all my Crusade points on Commando now our picking up Mystic...

Personally I'd stick with Commando for a while, she rules and is super useful in basically everything (PvP, crusades, etc). Mystic is good too but his buff is magic only, while Commando buffs both damage and agility for everyone on your team by quite a bit.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

vulturesrow posted:

Go commando then Mystic, Commando is always useful. I would say get her up to 3* then unlock or switch over to other characters.

Mystic needs to be at purple to kickass, even then you need to be at a high enough level to allow him to equip purple gear.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is the 25% bonus they're doing the total gems or just the 'base' gems that count for VIP?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Victis posted:

Haha well yeah, Cloud Walker is ridiculous in general so good job on that.

Illulsion heroes just seem ridiculous in general. Illusions take a good chunk of damage before going down, soak single target ults (or split AOE ults like Rain of Arrows), can disrupt formations, and can confuse units to fire off their direction ults in the wrong direction. Cloud Walker is what I'm working on after Death Mage even though Iron Hoof calls to me...

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

Dreylad posted:

Illulsion heroes just seem ridiculous in general. Illusions take a good chunk of damage before going down, soak single target ults (or split AOE ults like Rain of Arrows), can disrupt formations, and can confuse units to fire off their direction ults in the wrong direction. Cloud Walker is what I'm working on after Death Mage even though Iron Hoof calls to me...

Yeah the first time I fought a CW in arena I thought the clones just took one hit, could be manageable, nope

The PvP AI has no idea how to handle them and every attack CW does makes more

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The only effective counter I've found is to either get enough single target together before they start cloning or load up on AOE magic damage and hope for the best.

Tequila
Apr 16, 2002
DRIVE BY RANDOM TITLING! YOU MAY BE NEXT!

Echophonic posted:

I'll keep working on leveling him up, then. Seems like a better use of my time than Machinist or Vanguard Warrior. They both seem pretty sub-par. I'm liking Shallows Keeper, though.

Arcane sapper has high damage potential but is squishy as gently caress. He gets durability in the form of dodge gear in the 70's which is when he will start showing up more often.
Machinist is supposedly top DPS at late/end game, but I haven't been able to spare the resources to purple him to see what his purple skill actually does. Vanguard seems to be specifically geared towards countering arcane sapper with the delayed charge + stun and purple accuracy passive.

Tequila fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 19, 2015

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Is the 25% bonus they're doing the total gems or just the 'base' gems that count for VIP?

It's total gems, and it also applies to the first time purchase bonus packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Markkei posted:

It's total gems, and it also applies to the first time purchase bonus packs.

Yeah, I just picked off the 10 dollar pack so I can do a 10x gem pull tomorrow.

Is it normal to get heroes out of Crusade? I just got a 2* Depth's Voice halfway through mine. I actually managed to clear one, I think this is my second time doing it. Got really lucky the first time.

• Locked thread