Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Well, I made a guild if you guys were still interested - search ID for "110015374"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Wound up using your RazorLightning Elemental to get an extra wave in Crusade today, he's pretty beastly. Makes me wish I got a front-liner instead of him, although OmniknightCleric is really pretty awesome himself.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Well, now i've pulled 2 duplicate Clerics, so I managed to get him to 2*. I don't know if i'd call him "good" compared to other pure tanks, but he's great against attrition-style waves.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Good news! Goon Squad is 50% of the meat to its first Guild Raid!

I have no idea what a guild raid is.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Hidden patch note: the heroes no longer have the horribly translated selection quotes from pre-1.7. This means that Chaplain is no longer the Magistrix of the Leaves :byodood:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
I unlocked our first Raid dungeon! Apparently you guys have 2 tries before reset, if anyone's paying attention to the thread in the next three hours.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Zotix posted:

So a few questions, when you evolve a character to the next star level, do they lose all promotions, and/or levels? If so, how do you handle this early game since you'd lose a lot of progress when you evolve?

Secondly, I have 54 EXP salves, and 120 EXP potions, what should I do? Feed them to my heroes, or keep for later?

Last, this is my current team, Admiral, Brute, Psychopath, Silencer, Commando. My other options are for middle, Necromancer, Emberstar, Lightning Master, Tusked Storm. Back is, Shadowleaf, Chaplain, and Rifleman.

What team comp would give me the most benefit early on?

I would go with Brute, Tusked Storm, Shadowleaf, Commando and Silencer, while also levelling Chaplain for later / Crusades. In Crusade, I would replace Shadowleaf with Chaplain, especially before Purple skills come into play.

Use EXP Salves and Potions to keep your active roster at the highest possible level - once you have Crusade unlocked and you're doing 15/15 waves each day, you should be buying any EXP Salves you see at the Marketplace, as well.

e:

Dreylad posted:

And I apparently suck at them! My teams have been so burst focused that I can't outdamage our glorious guild leader who is 4-5 levels lower than me :v:

I think I need a better tank. War Chief isn't cutting it. I guess I could level up the Death Knight but our 40s have been relying heavily on him I'd feel bad leveling him to 57. It seems like people rely on Slardar at higher ranks, who I don't have yet.

I use Ironhoof / Succubus / Phoenix / Commando / Chaplain. Iron Hoof survives forever on one life.

Niton fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 24, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Zotix posted:

Yes

Just pulled a succubus.

Also, geared everyone out a bit more and it was cakewalk at that point. I also maxxed out on crusade's as well, however I don't fully understand how it works. I know you can backout without penalty if stuff is going sour, but like lets say your team dies on a level. Can you sub in 5 new people and try again, or do you have 5 slots total and once someone dies in a slot, that's it?

You can keep subbing in bodies until you run out of eligible units, though you only really want to lose units due to attrition or a ridiculously hard opponent. Crusade is about losing as little health possible on each wave and coasting on energy bars to victory.

Also, with regards to tier lists: Cleric is actually a very good tank for a lot of things, although his damage potential is awful. He eats up sustained damage like a champion, and his party-wide physical shield has applications against a few units.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Zotix posted:

Thread is quiet today, so I figure I'll ask a question. How do you guys approach elite stages? Do you do every single one each day? Do you only do those that will give the pieces to heroes you want? It seems like doing each one each day is a waste of stamina.

Yeah, pretty much. Ones I would consider really important, in descending order of doing them:

Shadowleaf
Chaplain
Cleric
War Chief
Savage One

Then whatever you desire, or more stamina-efficient item gathering from normal dungeons.

Shadowleaf is important because only one node gives her stuff until level 56, Chaplain is important because she's essential for Crusade, and the other 3 are important for tank reasons. Which tank is most important based on what you have, but I would recommend at least unlocking Cleric asap, since he's strong pre-Purple.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Then none of them are super important aside from Shadowleaf, Chaplain and maybe Admiral. Go for what you think you need, and spend the rest on making sure you have tier-up gear as soon as it becomes useful.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

DontMindMe posted:

I am somehow beating these outland events at the last possible second.

Today's is a beetle whose physical immune, and occasionally burrows underground and heals (pretty much to full health).

I don't even know how you're supposed to do this one without soulhunter. Basically, you need to have a decent set heroes with high damaging magic ultimates, and Soulhunter. Once everyone's ultimate is charged, use them all at the same time, and finish it with soulhunter's ultimate.

The hard part is surviving long enough to have all of your ultimates charged. 3/5 of my heroes had a sliver of health once everything was charged. The DOT he uses on the whole party at one point is insane.

I got to meet this rear end in a top hat today. I wound up beating him with a team of Succubus / Lunar Guardian / Phoenix / Lightning Elemental / Wind Master, after about a million gold sunk into upgrades and an hour or so of tinkering. That dot is ridiculous, and makes some squishy units completely useless for it.

Also, he's Totally Not Kha'zix:

e: I then proceeded to finish all of Chapter 8 Elite the level I unlocked it so.. good luck people with worse luck / zero IAP!

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 28, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Mentioned this in guild, but for the benefit of anyone not in guild / not reading chat: Commando is no longer the best first purchase with Dragon Coins from Crusade. That honor now goes to Phoenix, who was added in a patch last night. Phoenix is crazy good as a mage.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Meanwhile, i've just been running the same 5 units for like the last 20 levels and they don't seem to be in any danger of burning out :shobon:

Iron Hoof is kind of crazy for Crusade, it's sort of unfortunate he's too good to keep low levelled.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Echophonic posted:

Are the first few chests you open fixed rewards? I just started and got the same stuff on those pulls after changing to 47. I thought I read something about a 3 star hero on a gold chest or something?

Also, I assume early game is just running story mode to unlock stuff on your village?

The first single pull you get from a Gold Chest (after the 3 story heroes) will always be a 3* of some kind. I'm not sure if it's a reduced selection or not. And yes, that's what early game is.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tequila posted:

The number of fragments you get from a dupe depends on the number of stars is starts out with:
*=7
**= 18 (I think)
***= 30

Yeah, this is correct, it's about 3/8ths of what you need for the next rank.

blindidiotgod posted:

He's so swingy in Crusade. Sometimes he powers through, stopping the whole team taking any damage. Sometimes gets trucked into the ground and your A-Team bites it soon after.

He dies like a chump if he gets stunned, even moreso than most heroes do. He needs to be free to spam his heals.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Do you have a full team of 5 yet? You should be able to have Leaves' Shadow, Admiral, Chaplain, Lightning Master and Embermage by now, plus whoever your initial Gold Chest roll was if you've accumulated enough Gems to do it. Normally 1x rolls are bad, but it's a pretty huge power spike for not that large of an investment.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
My advice would be to just re-do old stages for any gear slots you can fill out, then. Keeping your main team fully up-to-date is really important, especially before you unlock the Blue/Purple stuff. Also, make sure you're using EXP Potions / Salves to keep them at max possible level.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Someone asked this in guild chat earlier, so here's a list of some good bottleneck items to farm during the double drop event:

Corgieran Glaive (Chapter 6)
Stainless Axe Reel (Chapter 7)
Kelossian Crusher Reel (Chapter 8)
Chest Plate (Chapter 4)
Ice Staff (Chapter 6)
Sol'sketh Reel (Chapter 7)
Pipe Reel (Chapter 7)
Nedan Bone Chest Reel (Chapter 7)

If you don't need Chest Plates and aren't on Chapter 6+, just worry about farming hero pieces.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Cleric is a front-line support, and definitely not a primary tank, despite any misgivings I may have had in the past - If you have another frontline unit, he can be a great support, but you need someone with good bulk & offense like Iron Hoof or Savage One for that.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
I think tank progression looks something like:

Admiral -> Savage One -> War Chief -> Death Knight -> Iron Hoof / Cloud Walker

e: this isn't a strict tiering, but it's a good order of when you should expect new tanks to come online.

Niton fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 11, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

vulturesrow posted:

My crusade store has the following tokens right now:

Vanguard Warrior
Frost Mage
Commando
Rifleman
Phoenix
Mystic
Wind Master
Pilot

Are any of these worth dropping 500 points on? Current heroes I have are starting 5 plus Professional Killer, Cleric, and Embersword.

I did a 10x pull and the only hero I got was 1x Commando token. :argh:

The heroes in the Crusade store are static - you can buy 5 pieces for 500 each day, or more often if you waste coins refreshing. In my opinion, Phoenix and Commando are the two best offered there.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Speaking of reasons to spend Gems on Stamina (and Instance resets): 2x Hero Piece drops from Elite Dungeons for the next 3 days, starting from reset. Good chance to get some of your Elite-only heroes up to full speed.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Commando and Phoenix are both significantly better than the other 3. As far as they go:

• Pilot is alright but completely unessential for anything i've seen, though he's a good pickup for Northern Dragon if you're not going to get Old Curse any time soon.
  • Rifleman is interesting but only really good for a couple of specific things, and there are replacements for him for that.
  • Mystic is only good at really high levels, but he has good utility for Grand Arena and magic damage teams.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Dreylad posted:

Lack of energy regen is going to require some rethinking of Crusade teams, or just having a really full roster. Can't Death Mage/Death Knight spam your way to victory. Well maybe Death Mage if she can pick up most of the kills to regain her energy.

If Iron Hoof keeps his every wave shield, he'll be the premier Hard Crusade unit - his shield is crazy powerful over 15 waves. I think Cleric pops up massively in value without outside sources of regen, as well, because nobody else brings his non-ult healing to the table.

On another note: What comps have you guys been using for Super Silencer? I feel like I should be able to do more damage, but I don't know if I want to invest in Rifleman to test my theory out.

On my 830k run, I used:

Iron Hoof (3*, 65)
Savage One (3*, 65)
Shadow Shaman (2*, 64)
Shadowleaf (3*, 65)
Commando (3*, 65)

The easiest answers for me seem to be Rifleman and Psychic Sword, but i'm not really close to having either of them ready. Any discussion would be pretty neat, even if you're lower level!

Niton fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 19, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Victis posted:

One thing about this game, you will always need basic shoes. Guess what green/blue/purple shoes are all made of?

This is a trick question: the other shoes are all made of gold chests.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Cloud Walker and Old Curse are both mainstays of high level play, that's a fantastic set of Gem Chest pulls.

Dude from your roster who are valuable at high levels, in PvE or PvP:

Wind Master (really, really high level PvP)
Chaplain (Crusades)
Cleric (Outworld Portal, theoretically Crusade in the future)
Phoenix (Everywhere)
Shadowleaf (Everywhere)
Ember Blade (Not sure where, but everyone seems to think highly of him)
Sniper (PvE)
Cloud Walker (Everywhere)
Old Curse (Everywhere, but especially PvP)

From what you have, I would recommend using the following as a main team:

Cloud Walker
Shadowleaf
Wind Master
Commando

and then a mid or back-lane unit that goes behind Cloud Walker - since I don't have him, I don't know if Phoenix or Old Curse slot in "behind" him.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
She's just all around good - her ult is useful for a couple of the Outland Portals, her Ice Arrow is one of the best sources of the frost slow effect, and her Purple skill is a nice team-wide steroid.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Ember Blade is a Grand Arena buy, RIP Ember Blade. You might be sweet, but you're certainly not better than Cloud Walker, Fallen Dominion and Iron Hoof.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Small opinion/note: Lunar Guardian is actually a pretty strong candidate for the Phoenix Kha'zix Outland Portal - her ult hits 5 times in total for a decently large amount, adding up to almost as much as someone like Wind Ranger or Succubus. She also remains really strong in PvE and Crusade, where she can frontload her ult, for the same reasons. VS' ult is definitely more powerful in a vaccuum, but the focused, interrupting damage of Lunar's is really powerful in its own way at times.

Niton fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 1, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Meanwhile i'm still trucking on the Iron Hoof plan, and wondering when (or if) he's really going to slow down. I still think he might be the most under-hyped unit in the game because of where he comes from. I just got him kitted out in his Purple+2 upgrade, and he's rocking 25k HP, 336 Armor, and 155 MR, along with 50 Dodge Rating and frequent front row mini-stuns. If it does turn out to be a mistake to have invested in him so heavily, it'll be by a lot less than Cloud Walker / War Chief hype suggests.

e: that said, War Chief's Purple+4 gear set looks amazing, so I hope to have him at 4/5* by the time I can actually gear anyone out to that level.

Niton fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Mar 3, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
On a semi-related note, it feels like Cloud Walker's AI got nerfed in the last couple of days - I haven't seen him quickly spawn an illusion in my backline in quite a few fights, whereas he used to do that poo poo almost every time as soon as the fight began. Anyone else notice that?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

DemonMage posted:

Oh that makes a lot of sense given the patch notes I saw them posting recently. That's cool. Gonna max Commando tomorrow and move on to... Rifleman I guess. Not really digging Phoenix even though that ultimate is pretty ridiculous when you can't interrupt it.

I think Phoenix suffers a lot from War Chief being the best tank - there's a brief period of time in between his lives where enemy melee can advance a little bit more forward and get right in his face with crowd control, and he really needs uninterrupted uptime to be a strong DPS.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Speaking of timing: i'm waiting on Drey, Zotix, Markkei or Daveski to log on, because I foolishly used all 5 of my invites. So if any of you see that, it'd be much appreciated.

Echophonic posted:

So who's good out of the Guild shop? I'm finally able to contribute to raids.

The big winners out of Guild Shop are Disease Bringer, Arcane Sapper & Lunar Commando. Of those 3, I would prioritize unlocking Disease/Commando, then working on Sapper once you're into your 60s.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
I got to 14/15 in Hard despite getting massively unlucky on wave 7 and losing my Iron Hoof to Soulhunter in a simultaneous round-ending KO. Lunar Guardian seems really strong for Hard Crusade, as well, because she's great at generating energy for herself & has a very strong crowd control ult.

Also, not from Hard Crusade, but I finally have the ultimate IronHoof.jpg:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Chaplain has much more reliable healing of a specific target, thanks to the way Dark Benefactor prioritizes - Shadow Shaman picks the single lowest HP target in the group, and fires the beam at them. The other 2 targets healed are the two units directly behind the first unit, which makes it harder to focus healing on to your front line if you're facing attrition damage. Shadow Shaman's big advantage is his passive -Armor aura, which isn't at its strongest in a Crusade environment.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
In addition to hero stone drops, there's a small chance of getting any Gold Chest hero from Crusade chests, which is what you got.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
The real problem with CW is that he's essentially 100% random, and the solutions to the two different things he can do don't overlap at all. You're basically playing a RNG double blind to even have a shot on offense against one.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Shadowleaf (noticing a trend here?), a tank of some kind (Psychopath is a great choice if you're not meeting damage requirements), then a few of the other DoT heroes:

Old Curse
Shadow Shaman
Brute
Succubus
Poisoned One
Wandering Spearman

Of those, you're way more likely to have the first 3, and you should only need a couple of them to have "enough" damage for it, especially with Shadowleaf's slow.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

RosaParksOfDip posted:

At what point do you usually choose to level up a hero? I'm assuming a hero with all the gear from the previous level would be stronger than a fresh hero of the next level with no gear.

Until purple? Always the level you can. After? You might want to skip a tier if your current tier has some really primo defensive items, like Kreln Leaf, Bag of Holding or Pipe. Those items enchant extremely well, and the spike stat gain is often better than well-rounded gains from new pieces of gear.

Niton fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Zotix posted:

If you could only level one for a week, would you choose cloud walker or fallen dominion?

If you can afford to skill him, Cloud Walker. Otherwise, FD. FD is a more complete unit without all of his skills, and more powerful in the abstract, but Cloud Walker has good utility for the hardest Outland Portal boss.

Niton fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 16, 2015

• Locked thread