Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah I'm kinda in the same position.
I'm player level 22.
24 Wind Master +1 (3/8 skills), 24 Admiral +1 (8/8), 24 Emberstar +1 (7/18), 24 Chaplain +1 (20/2), 21 Shadowleaf (4/7) | 20 Lightning Master +1 (3/3)
I'm on 4-3: Back Under the Leaves, and the bosses just shred my Admiral and I'm not really doing enough damage to rush them down either.
The majority of the gear slots I'm missing are from chapters I haven't unlocked yet, but I'll go back and Raid what little I can, which seems to be better than straight running it because of the bonus xp potions.

The boss type mobs are doing 400-500 a hit against my Admiral, who only has a couple thousand hp it seems (2500 +504).

[Edit] Also what time/zone does rollover and other events happen?

[Edit2] Just got my Admiral to blue has 3392 +108 hp now and I've got some experience potions around. So hopefully I can fill out some slots and evolve some other people and get over this hump. Where to farm isn't as clear as say pocket knights where you just spam the highest stage you can. At least the gear has a "Where does this drop?" thing that takes you right to it.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Are you sure about that on raids? It says that raiding a stage gives me 6 XP and then finishing the stage the report also said I gained 6 XP. And then on top of that I get bonus rewards of potions.

I'd imagine it's unclear presentation and you're correct, but just want to double check.

[Edit] Was able to test it, didn't get any experience. Though if it's 6 * 5 = 30 xp for a run, the 60-120+ I'm getting in potions seems to make it worth it for now.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 6, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah I get the concept just didn't see anything to denote the numbers I were looking at (beside on the potions) were account rather than character based.

That's cool though, the raid tickets are way lazier and my heroes are all capped so for gear farming for now raids still the way to go so I don't waste it. Thanks for the help.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So it says Ember Blade is a front-line agile hero, is he a better tank than the Admiral assuming similar levels/tiering? As it'll be... awhile before I get any Arena Hero at 30 currency a day.

[Edit] Looks like he's good DPS, but supposedly needs purple to really be worth it.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 9, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Just to be sure I'm not missing anything... hero pieces only come from Elite correct? Which doesn't get updated drop rates from this event, but is still a better use of your stamina than farming items you don't have a use for.

Also Ember Blade is pretty great as a front line hero if all you have otherwise is Admiral.
I'm running:
Shadowleaf ** Blue+1
Wind Master *** Blue+1
Chaplain * Blue+1
Ember Blade * Blue+1
Commando * Blue+1

To better effect in campaign/crusade than Admiral being up front. Magic immunity + AE damage lets you get through the front line quickly and onto the softer targets behind. And his ultimate going off can put him behind the enemy's tanks too if you can get a heal off to keep him up while he's back there decimating the softer DPS/support.

I guess starring him up might wind up being too lovely, but he's super fun right now while I'm cockblocked by my account level from progressing too far.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I've been doing stamina primarily and some Midas Touch. They seem to be the best bet unless you can get a 10x pull and get lucky with it being something useful, which seems slim. Stamina helps your player level which seems to be the biggest gatekeeper to getting powered up (and accessing important stuff like crusade, booty cave, etc). And Gold is, as always in these games, super useful.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Ember Blade and Chaplain are both super solid.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

How much have you been leveling her healing skill? I'm 43 with a 1* Chaplain and maxed her healing skill (and convert) and I find it heals a pretty significant chunk of damage and I get it off 95% of the time against similar power teams. Occasionally things like my Ember Blade not getting his Magic Immunity shield up happens, which lets them move onto my back line quicker and the Chaplain gets taken out, but it's still a solid healing skill the vast majority of the time.

I specifically run: 1* Ember Blade, 1* Chaplain, 2* Commando, 3* Wind Master, 2* Shadow Leaf for arena. Only rank 11,677 right now but a lot of my Middle rank options are taken up by people with 2-3k power or more ahead of me so I usually have to go against the Right team.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Echophonic posted:

I kind of feel like the 10x gem chests are a bit of a trap. I bought one with my bonus gems from the monthly card and got a ton of stuff I can't use and I think some 1* hero. The 10x gold pulls are awesome, though. I've gotten a Mystic, a Phoenix, and some other full heroes that got converted to shards. I should be using gems for stamina, midas, and skill points, right?

Gems for stamina isn't actually that great (despite what I said before), I guess if you feel the chests aren't worth it then it's alright. Midas unless you get super lucky quickly becomes pretty expensive for the gold you get which pales compared to Crusade gold. Finishing Crusade will net you like 700k, without some good 4-10x Midas you're burning a ton of diamonds to get that.

The problem with buying stamina is that stamina = Player Level experience 1:1, so each buy gets you 120 experience. That's maybe 1/10th of a level if you're lucky (less with each level you gain). So it's alright for farming certain items or hero pieces in elite if you really need, but it's not as good of a buy as it looks like originally since you're heavily gated by your Player Level. I've had Chapter 6 done and just sitting here not able to do new normal content for like 4 levels now, since you don't unlock Chapter 7 until 46.

quote:

Also, I have access to a 'Random Black Marketer'. What the heck is that?

It's like the random goblin merchant, finishing a dungeon will sometimes make it show up and you can buy things from it. It's far more rare.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Well there are plenty of good 1* heroes, since you can rank them up to 5* starting off with more stars doesn't necessarily mean they'll be better in the end.

And a 10x gem chest will always give a hero, which isn't a bad thing. It's 7 pieces towards ranking up, or possibly something cool if its new. Lets you fill out the roster and you can use those for Grand Arena and Booty Cave defense if nothing else.

I've not opened too many gem chests since I was blowing gems on tons of stamina/gold originally before they did the recent crusade matching pass. But they sure sound like the best use of gems besides 1x Midas and occasionally some stamina.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah they had them active for a few hours but had to disable them since people were gaining millions of grand arena tokens when transferring.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Incase anyone doesn't know this, there's a button in your team leader menu for "What's New" that takes you to current patch notes. Also on the forums is upcoming patch stuff, March's 1.8 patch seems pretty neat.

quote:

New Features:
- Ancient Temple: This feature will be unlocked randomly during battles. You will need to invite your fellow guildmates to help complete it and get awesome awards of hero gear and other items.
- Crusade: Added a Hard Mode in Crusade. Leaders will get double rewards under this mode.
- Soul Shop: Replaced the Martial Merchant with Soul Shop. Your extra soul stones will be used to redeem Soul Coins in exchange of Swordsmaster and hero gear.
- Legendary Quests: The second batch of Legendary heroes will be Savage One, Depths Voice, Mystic, Lightning Elemental and Emberstar.

As well as the usual three new heroes.

Apparently for Hard Mode there's no Health/Energy regen and you can choose to start in Hard and downgrade to Normal later.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 19, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So outside of my main team I've got:
Admiral **
War Chief **
Emberstar *
Lightning Master *
Rifleman *
Sniper *
Psychic Sword **
Cleric *
Savage One **
Psychopath *
Mystic *
Shallows Keeper *
Vanguard Warrior *
Machinist *

So besides having extra dudes for defense duty or desperate crusader fodder is there any compelling reason to level/tier any of these guys up? I guess Mystic eventually at least for magic heavy team duty.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Feb 21, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, that's awhile away still as I'm just shy of 49 right now. Figure Mystic is good backbone for a magic team for that, I guess Emberstar and Lightning Master might work?
Also got Psychic Sword** and Cleric* that I've edited in as well if they're good for anything specific.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The double time trial drops is glorious and I wish they'd just keep that one in. Getting 400k from single run on top of Crusade is great for doing lots of gold chest pulls while keeping skills up. Got Phoenix from gold chests today too.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

God Ember Blade is so great once you take him purple. I really hope his pieces are on a decent vendor. His purple skill makes him teleport around (therefore invulnerable) and hit all the enemies with a damage bonus. And he can life leech off that too.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I'm still going to get some amazing use out of him for awhile. Him and War Chief helped bring me into the arena bracket where I'm getting 100 arena currency a day, maybe I'll actually get some of these arena heroes (who am I kidding I'll gold summon them probably).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Not specifically no (that I've seen). It was available for a short while and had an extremely bad bug in it that they need to fix. People who transferred to older (?) servers got millions of grand arena coins.

Also Ember Blade, you're my favorite buddy. I've had two successful arena defenses against people 10 levels above me tonight. The way his ultimate resets the cooldown on his teleport strike, combined with his and War Chief's lifeleech is fantastic. gently caress you back line, can't hide from my crazy panda sword dude.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 3, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

So I found this list of heroes that are good for each Outland portal, is there any better list/strategies anywhere? So far it seems I just don't have the right heroes up to beat Lord of Caves or Phoenix really. Seems like Outland and Grand Arena really want you to have lots of heroes leveled up... which isn't bad really. Gives you a good long term goal and lets you see lots of different heroes as you switch it up to specialize for each area.

Also what happens to hero pieces when you 5* a hero? Are they removed from the chest summon pool, auto convert to gold, or just pile up and have to be manually sold or?

And I had no idea there was some special VIP11+ store which is what Magic Stones are. The dude this month is Lucas the Death Bringer who can eat summoned copies/pets, I actually saw one in the wild. I'm happy to grab the monthly diamond thing (120 diamonds/day/month for $3 is a good deal), but 11 is going to cost you like $500+ easy. That's not as bad as those guys at VIP13 in Pocket Knights or whatever, but still pretty hilarious.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 4, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Oh that makes a lot of sense given the patch notes I saw them posting recently. That's cool. Gonna max Commando tomorrow and move on to... Rifleman I guess. Not really digging Phoenix even though that ultimate is pretty ridiculous when you can't interrupt it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

He's solid without his purple skill due to magic immunity shield and his ultimate lets him get behind enemy lines.
His purple skill makes him immune while he goes around doing substantial damage to everyone and it's used just after his magic immunity shield. The great thing about it is that he also uses it when his ultimate goes off, so he lands (usually in the back of the enemy team) and then does his massive damage teleport attack, leeching back some life, and getting a chunk of energy towards using his ultimate again which starts the cycle over.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Someone should keep a Death Knight or Mage around 57 =-( Only one I can rent lately is a 46 Death Knight, which doesn't quite cut it. Been able to use the Cloud Walker that's been up to decent effect though. Don't think that would fly in hard, couldn't try hard since I did crusade too early yesterday and didn't have credit for finishing Normal.

[Edit] Also for those who don't know, Ancient temples have a chance of giving purple recipes (at least) for the person who summoned it. You can invite up to 5 guild mates who all get one shot (plus your one shot) at clearing a single wing of the temple. Clear all 3 to get loot for yourself. You have 8 hours and the invites list is ordered based on last logged on time. The invites are sent to your whisper tab, so make sure you check that when you log on. Someone might have invited you to help clear a temple. Temples stay up for 8 hours.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 6, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I think you're usually a level ahead of me, I was 56 when I did most of the stuff today. So I might be able to hire yours occasionally, but not consistently unless you stopped leveling it or I managed to get ahead of you somehow =-p

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah, I mean I was using yours until the Cloud Walker showed up, they both still seem better than my fully leveled/skilled up War Chief. I've got access to Iron Hoof that I'm also skilling up, maybe he'll be better for crusade due to the shield? Especially with Hard Mode having things that self heal/shield or otherwise take a limited amount of real damage for tanking seems super important.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I had good success with Fiers Death Mage, Iron Hoof, Chaplain, Mystic and Ember Blade. I made some mistakes and my Iron Hoof and Mystic are not fully skilled up yet either but I made it to 12/15 hard. Could have went all the way really since I don't think the regen was clutch to finishing normal. Didn't realize the teams didn't change either, it's ONLY the regen, so I lost the same people when I dropped down to normal anyways.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Or if you're an insane VIP person with the new magic diamond hero! :bang:

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Mystic is good all around and you'll want multiple teams for Booty Caves, Grand Arena, Outlands. In the end you'll take advantage of a huge number of heroes one way or another.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I was one of the ones who lost all their bread the other day when they gave out diamonds =-( I usually do a few hits a day but don't really bother with a bunch. I'm also leaning towards only doing experience potion caves for now, there are tons of heroes I want to get up for various places and the gold is (so far) only about 40k/10 hours with my good team most of the time, which compared to the 1.5+ million I'm getting from Crusade is lovely and its like two skill ups if I'm lucky.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 9, 2015

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

I did about 10 the other day and got maybe 7 full hero pulls. Of course they were all poo poo but they could have been something awesome!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Speaking of raising skills, it's time for another round of who should I give a poo poo about!

Leveled/skilled up:
Commando 5*
Wind Master 3* (falling behind a little on her skills)
Iron Hoof 3* (almost maxed)
Mystic 3*
Chaplain 3* (besides Pilum)
War Chief 3*
Shadowleaf 2*
Ember Blade 2*
Rifleman 2*

Leveled some but not skilled up at all really:
Admiral 3*
Lightning Spirit 1*
Emberstar 2*
Cleric 1*
Psychopath 2*
Phoenix 1*
Lightning Master 2*
Sniper 2*
Psychic Sword 2*

Not touched:
Machinist 2*
Savage One 2*
Mountain 2*
Shallows Keeper 1*
Arcane Sapper 1*
Vanguard Warrior 1*
Tusked Storm 1*

I'm level 58. For Arena I use: Ember Blade, Commando, War Chief, Wind Master, Shadowleaf
PvE I mostly use: Ember Blade, Commando, War Chief, SHadowleaf, Chaplain
Crusade: Death Mage (rented), Iron Hoof, Ember Blade, Commando, Mystic

Currently grabbing: Ice Mage from Crusade to use for Crusade, Old Curse from arena (16/30), Disease Bringer from Guild (30/80)

I hear Psychopath is good for Robot Fighter/Lord of the Caves Outland
Tusked Storm I think someone mentioned was good for Phoenix Outland
Arcane Sapper I see talked a lot in PvP but sounds like it starts becoming less effective after not too much longer?

Last time Daveski said Savage One and Vanguard Warrior are good, but not sure what I'd use them for specifically. Vanguard Warrior is always a huge joke when I see him in Crusade/Arena, basically a free win as the rest of their team dies as he comes out. He also mentioned Machinist who seems really high damage when I've fought him in PvE, but otherwise I have no idea what I'd use him for, I guess Lord of the Caves?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Ember Blade clones don't do anything except on activation of the ultimate and when they explode when you take a crit or get low on hp. The big deal is that when they explode it resets the cooldown on his teleport strike, allowing you to potentially chain teleport strike for massive damage.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Sure they're just completely different abilities. His clones are purely visual, not actual clones is all I was saying.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yup, Goon Squad clears 7 with a bonus, 8... not quite yet.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

Does hiring a merc for crusades take the cost upfront and charge you even if you retreat?

Yes, it costs you for the whole Crusade, not per battle.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Do you have his purple skill and shield maxed? That's really all you need to see him shine. He puts up magic immunity and a second or two later goes around teleport cleaving everyone. If he can't get his ultimate off at least once it does make him less of a power house though.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

HotBobaloo posted:

. I guess what I am asking for is, is there a specific stage that is more efficient in xp-> stamina that i can grind in order to get my player level up? With the elites locking at 3 per day it doesn't seem that efficient. Also, are the 3 per day elites my only option for eventually getting a war chief? It seems like my weak link is my admiral tank.

No, I had this same issue at first. The first time you get stuck cause Admiral sucks is real lovely, and then it sucks for a couple days, and then takes off again as you hit a stride and hopefully get some other tank. Missing out on Ember Blade hurts, as he was a fantastic free hero to get at low levels, decent as you go up, and then great again for awhile =-( Lightning Spirit seems pretty okay though but he's a magic DPS.

Anyways, mechanically, you get Player Experience equal to the stamina a level costs you. So there's never a better ratio (Barring events maybe) than 1:1. Doing your daily tasks is super important and then save your gems up for a 10x pull. If you can scrap some gold together (once you get Crusade that'll help a ton) to do some 10x gold pulls you might get lucky and get at least a halfway decent tank. Otherwise just keep doing those Daily, any War Chief dailies you've unlocked, and slowly (very slowly for Arena) working your way towards unlock heroes.

[Edit] Also yes as said above, spend your stamina on getting gear upgrades instead of banging your head on a campaign mission, since the ratio is always 1:1 this is just as good for getting your Player Level up.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Yeah the drop rate is the same. Raiding is super nice, which is why everyone should scrounge the couch for $3 to get the monthly refill. First time takes you to VIP3 which is solid, and VIP5 doesn't take that much more which gives you 4 Booty Caves and 20 skill point cap (sadly refilling with diamonds only gives 10 still =-( ).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

The aura is also +attack and magic attack power, so it's a raw damage increase on top of the 25% attack and move speed. Plus her stun for CC, and her agi aura for whatever that specifically does.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

From the guide I linked before:

recommended Heroes:
Master Mage
Old Curse
Phoenix
Pilot
Poisoned One

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

You can drop down from Hard to Normal. Hard gives 2x all drops from any stage, gold hero pieces, item pieces, everything. It's also not that much harder than Normal, just works better with different team setups. The later stages are worth more money base, so the break even point is probably about 3/4th of the way through for gold. It's worth trying to get in the habit of doing Hard though, and picking your heroes based on Hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

Mystic's super good skills are actually his Green and Blue ones. +energy and AE blind. Though the purple is hardly bad the other two work to boost any team type.

War Chief is sold in PvE in general, but it's second or third string for me in Crusade. Iron Hoof's team shield is super nice for Hard and Frost Mage's armor buff on Death Mage is fantastic. Of course if you're not lucky enough to own Death Mage or have access to Fier's that doesn't work quite as well until you're 60 and can grind it out in Grand Crusade. Looking forward to that. Don't care if Cloud Walker is objectively better.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 12, 2015

• Locked thread