Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Every mobile device these days has a speakers I don't see what the big deal with headphones is anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I buy 4 dollar earbuds from biglots because I tend to lose things. Theyre fine for audiobooks. Iphone headphones hurt my ears.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

shiksa posted:

the ones i broke were sennheisers but only cause i found em. the ones i got were like 50 bucks and also they dont feel like two lovely pebbles rolling around in my ears

thief spotted

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Hey guys...iBuds. Just saved you all two keystrokes. I'm out.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Damo posted:

yeah 18 bucks sure is cheaper than Free With My Phone

itt a man with an earbud axe to grind shouts and gesticulates but cannot be heard over my dream theatre flacs

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

lol if you dont have beats by dre, the best headphones in the world

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
the ipod earbuds fit my ears really well and are so comfortable I barely notice them

suck it

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax

BKPR posted:

itt a man with an earbud axe to grind shouts and gesticulates but cannot be heard over my dream theatre flacs

lol

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

realtalk my $20 sennheiser earbuds that were pretty good got eaten by a puppy so I got some TT-POD T1Es for $30 in a massdrop groupbuy ($45+ on amazon) and they are really good

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
I like these threads they're a healthy mix of audiophiles and people who argue that there's no difference between headphones

and I am Caesar, cool and handsome watching for my amusement

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i use noise isolating earbuds in the office so i dont hear ppl talking near me and they work good

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
I used to have bigass sennheiser momentum ones and the sound was real good but they felt very fragile and the carry case was huge so I never took them anywhere in fear of breaking them

in the end I sold them on eBay for about the same price I got them

also to answer your question OP they are worth their weight in gold in tf2

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Yeah these ear buds they're a real pain, say, does anyone else have a tremendous nutsack the size of god knows what?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

krampster2 posted:

I also own Audio Technica ATH-M50s.

Just checked mine. ATH-M30 here. Best drat headphones I've ever had. They've lasted me amost a decade now, even without special care.

naem
May 29, 2011

The old Apple earbuds would eject from my ear like a frightened fighter pilot for some reason.

The new ones have p great sound provided I hold completely and totally still

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

The cheapest or second cheapest Panasonic buds on amazon are p good, I just bought a few pairs and scatter them around my home/work desk

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
one time i stepped on an earbud by accident and the front of an earbud snapped off. it snapped back on just fine but every once and awhile would randomly deliver an electric shock. kinda strange and probably permanently damaged me in ways i can't imagine

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
They're uncomfortable as hell, tinny and they fall out.

I've had my B&W P5's for years and they're loving incredible.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I love those studies that are given to "audiophiles" where they're played music out of cheap/expensive headphones, and also over expensive wires and literal hanger wire, and despite their enhanced taste in audio, they're never able to tell which is which.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
fyi i dont own an ipod.

fyi im gay.

fyi i wish u a merry xmas.

King Gonorrhea
Feb 11, 2008

Son of Ass Pharaoh

limeincoke posted:

I love those studies that are given to "audiophiles" where they're played music out of cheap/expensive headphones, and also over expensive wires and literal hanger wire, and despite their enhanced taste in audio, they're never able to tell which is which.

I made a thread a long time ago asking about which audio compression I should use to shrink the size of my music collection. I was of course told that not doing so was my only option. I posted links to identical clips, one at 320 and one at 192 to demonstrate that there wasn't any difference in quality, and some goon responded explaining an elaborate double blind process he setup in which he was able to identify the superior clip a whopping 6 out of 10 times, and went on as though that was evidence for his side of the 'there is a difference' argument.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Also lol at anyone who has ever paid money for loving BEATS headphones.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I only use professionally molded in ear monitors to listen to my Lady Gaga

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

gggiiimmmppp posted:

lol if you dont have beats by dre, the best headphones in the world

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My ears must be deformed because the only way stock earbuds stay in place for more than 5-10 seconds is if I hold perfectly still and don't move a muscle.

Klipsch S4i 4 lyfe

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

limeincoke posted:

those studies are about the crazies that spend thousands of dollars on speaker wire and poo poo. you'd have to be a fuckin retard not to hear the difference between $20 headphones or speakers and $200 ones

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004
lol if you aren't using Vision Ears VE6 Xcontrol for in ear monitors.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like them because it has buttons that let me easily control music while bike riding. I even bought a bunch of lovely knockoffs specifically because eventhough they don't sound good they have the buttons and don't cost 6million bucks like the real thing.

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
I used to be an insufferable audiophile who built and designed audio amps but then i realized it was a stupid thing and just started using earpods because gently caress carrying an amp + breakout box with my iPhone. earpods fit pretty well and are OK sounding, i had a pair of etymotics for a while but they broke and they weren't that much better than the earpods(tm) that i felt the need to drop money on them.

I just want to clarify that we are talking about APPLE EARPODS

and not APPLE EARBUDS

also you guys who can't recognize that beats are a style brand and are more of an accessorry to show how cool you are and not a audio fidelity brand are stupid. style matters a lot more to normal people than fidelity.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Earbuds suck they never fit my ear right and are always falling out. The cord is invariably some flimsy piece of poo poo. You can't get as good a range of sound with earbuds.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i bought $450 earbuds irl

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Earbuds are ok, but lack the oompf you get from in-ear pod thingies. I've only used the latter ones that come with Samsung Galaxy's, but they just keep working themselves loose. Any alternative suggestions for that? I swear my ears are normal and not swimming in grease.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

mng posted:

Earbuds are ok, but lack the oompf you get from in-ear pod thingies. I've only used the latter ones that come with Samsung Galaxy's, but they just keep working themselves loose. Any alternative suggestions for that? I swear my ears are normal and not swimming in grease.

get IEMs and they sound hella good and if you wanna be a baller go to the audiologist and have them make a mold of your ear and companies will make custom fitting sleeves for high-quality IEMs

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

shiksa posted:

the ones i broke were sennheisers but only cause i found em. the ones i got were like 50 bucks and also they dont feel like two lovely pebbles rolling around in my ears

Earbuds are designed to fit snugly in average adult human ears. For earbuds to feel like pebbles that have enough room to roll around in your own ears, you must have incredibly large ears.

Do you go to the children's clothing section at any given store and get mad on forums when their clothes don't fit you, either?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

get IEMs and they sound hella good and if you wanna be a baller go to the audiologist and have them make a mold of your ear and companies will make custom fitting sleeves for high-quality IEMs

Oh right, I guess those are what I meant when I said they keep working themselves loose. I'm not too fond of spending megabucks on a pair, but the replaceable tips (three sizes) that came with the phone just won't fit right after a while. Bit anxious about buying a new set after that, even though the sound quality is great and goes right into your skull.

Maybe those three-flange tips fit better.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

mng posted:

Oh right, I guess those are what I meant when I said they keep working themselves loose. I'm not too fond of spending megabucks on a pair, but the replaceable tips (three sizes) that came with the phone just won't fit right after a while. Bit anxious about buying a new set after that, even though the sound quality is great and goes right into your skull.

Maybe those three-flange tips fit better.

pay the $100 to get custom made ones and never have them fall out again (they're made of silicone)

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i hate in-ear earbuds, they dont fuckin work on my ears and they feel super gross

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

I just want to clarify that we are talking about APPLE EARPODS
Yeah these are shockingly good. I got them with my iPhone earlier this year and they sound surprisingly good given their size. They also fit in your ear incredibly well and don't have that weird invasive feeling that the in-ear earbuds give me. The mic is pretty clear for phone calls and works great for mumble/teamspeak/other games. I find myself using them for multiplayer games. Dunno if i'll buy them again when I inevitably lose them or throw them in the washing machine though. Something tells me there's probably a better earbud&mic combo for $30 out there.

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

also you guys who can't recognize that beats are a style brand and are more of an accessorry to show how cool you are and not a audio fidelity brand are stupid. style matters a lot more to normal people than fidelity.
I get asked a lot about headphones by people but I tend to lose them if I don't have Beats or Bose as my answer. Its kind of upsetting but yeah its a fashion statement if anything. Both brands sound good and feel comfortable to wear so they aren't inherently bad, but way better and cheaper options exist elsewhere. In their defense though, really good headphones like Audio Technica's AD-700s or their ATH M-50s would look silly in public or on a train.

onionmaster
Oct 11, 2012
I used to use them all the time and they're very tinny but are ok if you're running alone or at the gym or whatever. One good thing is that brickwalled music sounds ok through them due to the amount of sound that's cut out. They are horrible at blocking out external noise though and the stereo effect isn't very noticeable.

These days I use overear Sony headphones (MDR-7X600) , they're very good and not too expensive, and the stereo effects work well when they exist. You can mix with them pretty well. The other good thing about them is the cables are flat so they are easy to untangle. I would never use Beats as they are ridiculously expensive poser headphones, but at least they introduced casual listeners to better sound quality.

I have some foldup Sony ones for train journeys and whatever, they are nowhere near as good as the other Sonys, but have much bigger surface area than Earbuds. I'll probably get better ones at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

yeah ive got somew soundfaggot 8500 in-ear open resonance bluetooth wireless cup-style soundbuds and they fit up my rear end and transmit music to my ears by vibrating my entire stupid body at specific frequencies

• Locked thread