Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Madison, Maine, is a dull place to live. A small town in the wild forests and hills of northeastern Maine, its sole defining characteristic is the Madison Preparatory School, designed to take advantage of its isolated, natural location to ‘encourage the students to study in a unique environment’.

Its student body, composed of a mix of local what-passes-for bluebloods and, more recently, out-of-state scholarship students, crammed into a purposefully boring town and tasked with making their own fun in what free time they have, is dysfunctional, to say the least.

And that’s before you take into account that some of them are literal monsters.

What Is This:

This is a Monsterhearts game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus you’re a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. It’s pretty easy to pick up if you’ve played Dungeon World or Apocalypse World, or even if you haven’t -- all you need is your skin and the reference sheet (links are at the bottom of this post).

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out you character sheet and post them both here.

While you’re at it, describe an NPC that you think would be fun to interact with, and an interesting location around the city -- could be a business, a landmark, whatever. Just try to make it something that you think would be cool for the purposes of the game. I’ll give everyone who applies three questions to give them a chance to flesh out the character concept -- submissions will probably be open for a week.

I reserve the right to close application early if there are a whole bunch of submissions - people who have expressed interest at that point but not yet submitted a character will be given 12 hours after that point to make a character submission.

If you are already in two or more Monsterhearts games, let me know - I won’t disqualify you from applying, but I will put you at a bit of a lower priority, so that people who haven’t gotten in games yet get a chance.

I won’t require reference pictures, but they'd definitely help me remember your character. I’m looking for six characters.

Skins:
Anything from the corebook or Second Skins is allowed, as are the Hollow, Shadow, Angel and Serpentine.

The Setting:
Madison is the name of both the Town and the School. The School is relatively new, and its staff untested. A fair number of the details will be decided as we go through character creation, but as some general guidelines for things the players don't decide (i.e. unless you say otherwise, this is roughly how things will be): The School is new, with fancy equipment and enthusiastic teachers. The dormitories are just next to the main buildings, and are extensive, and liveable, if sparse. It is a fancy school, which means uniforms. The Town is old, with history dating back to the colonial period. Its people are rustic, and close-knit, but generally friendly, in a small-town way. It may or may not have a coastal element, with a dwindling population of fishermen. The Forest just past town is vast, and through there are trails, there are also plenty of wilds to explore.

General Considerations:
Please be active! Try to post at least once a day - I’d like to keep things moving fairly fast. If you have RL stuff, that’s cool, and obviously takes priority, but if possible, please let me know in advance so I can try and work the game around it.

Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (teen sexuality, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. It’s important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic.

If you need to get a hold of me, you can contact me in this thread or PM me. I’m also frequently online in #Swampthings on Synirc.

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Apping the Infernal progeny of the school's founder, a rich townie who commutes to NYC.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Going for a revision of a character I worked on before.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 27, 2014

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

I'm interested in submitting a cuckoo who likes messing with people's relationships.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

"Your father has Orders." Mom said. I didn't bother reacting. I just dropped my backpack, went upstairs and started pulling the cardboard boxes out of my closet. I still had them from the last time 'Orders' happened. It was a regular thing, to pack up everything and go wherever Lt. Commander Novak, (aka Dad,) was going to be stationed THIS year.

My little sis sneaked in and sat down on my bed. "Don't you want to know where we're going?" she asked.

"I don't care." I said. "California sucks anyway."

"Liar." Jenna said, pulling a face. "I don't want to leave, I made friends here."

I just shrugged. "Told you not to bother."

She went real quiet. When I turned around she was crying. I put down my stuff and sat next to her, gave her my best big brother hug and messed up her hair. "Okay, stink-bug. Where we going this time?"

"Don't call me stink-bug!" She hugged me back and then slapped me on the arm. "Well, Dad's being stationed at the Portsmouth Naval base, in Maine. But Mom says we're going to go to the Madison school."

"What's it like?" I asked, already having feelings of impending doom. Not Madison High or anything, 'The Madison School'. Sounded full of itself.

Jenna pulled the brochure up on her smart phone. I tried to sound excited about it for her, but the uniforms and the canned photos didn't really do a lot for me. Why prep school? Everyone knew I was going to join the services not go to college, if Dad had to drive me to boot camp in a potato sack. He'd made that real clear. My only choices in life were Army, Navy, or Marines.

Jenna finally ran out of things to talk about and ditched me to pack her own boxes. I looked out the window at the perfect sunny afternoon and felt like poo poo. I WAS gonna miss Cali.

---

Have you ever dreamed of falling? It's faster in real life. There's this half-second of panic, and then SMACK you hit the rocks. You can hear your bones crunch, before you black out. It doesn't hurt, though. Not when you die on impact.

Next thing I knew, I was standing on the end of Santa Monica pier. It was quiet, except for the sound of the waves. There was absolutely no one there. Was this the afterlife? Someone put a hand on my shoulder. I looked up at the black robed ghost of Death and said, "Hi." He nodded once at me, then looked out at the waves. It was almost a relief somehow, I felt. I'd finally escaped my old man. I wasn't going to be his little soldier after all. But then I thought of Jenna and my Mom and my whole life just seemed like a huge waste. I sat down on one of the benches, thinking.

Death stayed standing, looking down at me now. "What happens now?" I asked.

YOU WAKE UP.

----

I coughed and choked and threw up half of Beaver Creek. Everything hurt. EVERYTHING. And then, like magic, it didn't anymore. I was soaked. The creek was mostly dry this time of year, but there was still some water in the middle of it, where I'd landed when I... I looked up. The bridge creaked above me. I could hear ropes that I couldn't see. Hear gasps for breath from all those people who'd died unjustly at this spot.

Revenge. Revenge. Revenge.

There was a pentagram painted in white on the rotten wood planks on the bottom side of the bridge.

Revenge. Revenge. Revenge.

Tears ran from my eyes and I didn't know why. When I wiped them away they were RED. I turned on my heel and RAN.

quote:

Name: Joel Novak, The Ghoul
Look: Stiff, Hungry Eyes
Origin: Sent

Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: 2
Dark: 0

Moves:
The Hunger- You have a Hunger for flesh.
When you heedlessly pursue a Hunger, add 1 to rolls. When you ignore a feeding opportunity, roll to hold steady.

Satiety-When you satiate a Hunger, choose one:
-- heal one harm;
-- remove a Condition;
-- mark experience;
-- carry 1 forward.

Short Rest for the Wicked- When you die, wait it out. Some hours later, you wake up fully healed.

Take the Blow- When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else, roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1. On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them.

Disaffected - When you turn someone on, roll with Cold.

Downward Spiral - When you gaze into the abyss, you may cause yourself 1 harm. If you do, add 2 to your roll.

Ending - You remember how you died. When you tell someone about it, give them the Condition morbid, and roll to turn them on.

Sex Move:
When you have sex with someone, add “having sex with [this person]” as an additional Hunger. If you already have this Hunger, mark experience.

Darkest Self:
You will maim, kill and destroy anything in between you and the nearest object of your hunger. You will feed relentlessly. You escape your Darkest Self when someone restrains you or fends you off for long enough for you to regain your composure – at least thirty or forty minutes.

Backstory:
Someone reminded you what love was, when you thought that death had stolen it away from you forever. Give them 2 Strings.
Did anyone watch you die, or watch you come back to life? If so, you both gain 2 Strings on each other.

1st Advance: Take the Blow (chosen)
2nd Advance: Disaffected (ghoul)
3rd Advance: Downward Spiral (mortal)
4th Advance: Dark +1
~SEASON ADVANCE: Call people on their poo poo + Intervene against an act of Violence
5th Advance: Ending (ghoul)
6th Advance: +1 Volatile

NPC: Mrs. Bigsby, The School Librarian

She's... eccentric. Knows pretty much everything about local history, even the nasty bits. Also a HUGE gossip, especially to students. Knows way too much. Possibly a witch. (I hope not.)
But really there's way too many occult books in the library. Something's up.

The old railway bridge that stretches over Beaver Creek has off limit signs all over it. There's a reason for that. I've asked about the name, MOM says it's because of the way the bridge looks like it hangs in the air but that's just because she's trying not to freak us out. It's where the KKK used to lynch people back when they were a big thing in this town. You can still see the rope threads on the rail tacks that stick out of the side. It's also cursed. No, really.

Oh, I am in 1 MH game currently.

mistaya fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 23, 2015

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

I'll be bringing a Shadow I apped in another game to get a second chance.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I'm interested. Thinking of a playing a Witch who stumbled onto a bunch of books of magic.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Going to app a mortal of some sort. But I'm in plenty of monsterhearts games so give other people priority.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
Apping a nice Jewish out of state student from California who just wants to make his mother proud of him (By slaying a creature of the utmost darkness).

A chosen Chosen.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Never played Monsterhearts before, but I'm gonna try to app out a bad influence angel.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
I think I'll make a Hollow.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Leonard C. Wordsworth, the Ghost

A man named Jean Racine once said "There are no secrets that time does not reveal". I hope to no end that this is true, because much time has passed, and there are many secrets I need revealed.

A long time ago, nearly a century now, I was a handsome, intelligent and charming young man spending my summer with my loving parents in our luxurious summer home. I had spent my days either living it up with the other young men and women spending their summer in Maine, attending shows at the summer theater, or most often, reading literature at either the public library, or the summer home's private library. It was quite a pleasant few weeks. Then, one night I awoke to discover the summer home was on fire, and I, along with many servants, were burned alive. Painfully, horribly, burned alive.

When it was all over, I found I was alone and incorporeal.After coming to term with this, a phrase which here means "panicking and wailing", I decided I would try to investigate what happpened. So I started checking the newspapers, interviewing other servants and locals, and generally seeking out any answer. Eventually, I learned my parents were not among the deceased, and from there I found they had hidden in a secret chamber beneath the public library, at least until it was safe for them to them to return to Chicago. I began asking them questions such as "What is going on?", "Why did you abandon me?", and "Why are you putting ketchup on those eggs?".

They told me that they were members of a secret society, and that our summer home had been burned down because they had helped assassinate a prominent member of a rival society a few weeks prior to us traveling to Maine. In fact, the summer home had been a hideaway itself. But before they could tell me any more, such as what the names of societies were, or how I could help them, people wearing renaissance-era clothing and ballroom masks came and murdered my parents before my very eyes. I tried to stop them, but a few of them held me back with gauntlets plated with what I believe was obsidian. They then cast a spell of some sort on the room, making it impossible for me to leave.

I spent a long time in there. I tried passing the time with whatever I could do, but after a few years with no contact with the outside world and confined to a small room you start to run out of ideas.

So I slept.

I slept for a very long time, with little in the way of dreaming. It must gone on for quite some time, because when I finally awoke a few months ago, it had been some contractor dressed in an extremely practical outfit breaking down my door for library renovations. I scared him off, and I was finally free to leave that accursed room. And what I found was a world very different from the one I had left. Granted, it took me a moment to figure out, since nobody was actually in the library that day outside of some frightened contractors, but even the tools they were using and some of the things they said were strange.

And now I have started the research again. Granted, I am not entirely sure what I can do to avenge my parents, or if that's even possible, but I've decided the best thing I can do for now is enroll at the nearby preparatory school, possibly get a better idea of what the world is like now, and finish my education Maybe once I can get enough money, I'll head back to Chicago and see what happened to our estate. Easier than expected, once you figure out how to place terrifying messages in the homes of the staff.

quote:

Leonard C. Wordsworth, the Ghost
Look: out-of-place, hollow eyes
Origin: A confused death

Stats
Hot: -1
Cold: 2
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Ghost Moves
Unresolved Trauma
Whenever you project the blame and trauma of your death onto your current situation, roll with dark. On a 10 up, give two people the blamed condition. On a 7-9, give up to two people the blamed condition, but for each, choose one:
- You gain the delusional condition,
- You can’t speak during this scene,
- You suffer one harm,
- You start re-enacting the scene of your death.

Dissipate:
You can walk through walls.

Your Backstory
Someone knows that you’re dead, and how you died. They gain a String on you.

You’ve been inside someone’s bedroom while they were sleeping. Take a String on them.

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you both get to ask a question of one another’s characters. This can be spoken by your character, or simply asked player-to-player. The other person must answer honestly and directly.

Darkest Self
You become invisible. No one can see you, feel you, or hear your voice. You can still affect inanimate objects, but this is your only avenue of communication. You escape your Darkest Self when someone acknowledges your presence, and demonstrates how much they want you around.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Question 1:

Leonard:
What do you think made you able to come back as a ghost, but not your parents or servants? What made you special?

Damien:
What's the worst thing that happened to get you out of a foster home? Who was responsible, you or Uncle Jack?

AdjectiveNoun fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 27, 2014

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Damien Thompson

I have little memory of my real parents. Weird smells and odd symbols and not being allowed to go outside much. I'm told they were in some kind of cult. CPS took me away from them when I was six. No, the first clear memory I have is talking to Uncle Jack. He tells me my parents were great people, wise people. That they were doing something wonderful, and were stopped by enemies who would now try to turn me against them. That he was sent to watch over me. To be sure I was safe from the enemies of my parents.

So I grew up with Uncle Jack. Living in the group homes, it was easy to believe him that noone was on my side except him. Nothing shocking, just... not a family. I was fostered a few time but... well... it never took. Uncle Jack and I took care of that. I even got put on meds for a while, because they found out I talked to him. So I've been keeping him a secret ever since. Not that it silenced Uncle Jack, it just made me feel like poo poo. So I spent a lot of time going form foster home to group home. Uncle Jack told me that when I became 18, he'd show me a big surprise.

And then, about two years ago the Newlands adopted me. Adoption agencies themselves were pretty surprised. Didn't think much of it. Figured it'd just be a change of pace before things got bad. But... they didn't. Me and Uncle Jack tried. I was rude to them, I broke things, I stole from them... but they just...well, they punished me, but they always kept saying they loved me and prayed for me. Uncle Jack was getting angry, telling me to do... worse things. Things that... would probably work. But I don't want to do those.

Maybe I don't want it to be me and Uncle Jack anymore. Maybe these people can be my... new parents. Just thinking it makes uncle Jack tell me how much my mom and dad would weep, and how much they sacrificed for me. But I'm lonely. I'm tired of being lonely. Maybe not everyone is my enemy. So I'm... trying. I've gone to church with them, and I've made a friend in school. It's... it's great. Things I never had. But it's scary, I'm worried that at some point everyone's gonna show how they fooled me and were just pretending and Uncle Jack was right. I'm feeling guilty that I'm betraying my parents. But I'm going to take the chance. I just don't want to be alone anymore.

I just hope Uncle Jack won't do anything... bad.

pre:
    Name: Damien Thompson
    Look: hollow eyes
    Origin: possessed
    Skin: The Shadow
    Shadow Name: Uncle Jack
    Shadow Voice: fathomless voice

Stats: Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2 

Moves:
 The Passenger
Your Shadow takes note of anyone with their fingers in your clay. Anytime
someone gains a string on you, give them the condition Shadowed. 
When you gaze into the abyss, it’s your Shadow who answers. 

Mine!
When you lash out physically against someone who has a string on you, roll
Dark instead of Volatile.

Whispers in the Dark
When someone with the Shadowed condition gazes into the abyss, you may
answer instead of the MC, and you may lie. This removes the Shadowed
condition from the gazer. This does not require the Shadowed condition if
gaze into the abyss is used to ask questions about you.

Darkest Self
 You’ve let what was outside in, and it isn’t interested in leaving. You have a
ringside seat for the darkness parading around in your skin, and it doesn’t like
all the friends and foes you’ve made. It needs to hurt and punish to distance
itself from all those connections, and it isn’t afraid to cross as many lines as it
takes to do it. While you are your Darkest Self, you can use Mine! even if you’ve never 
selected the move. You can escape your Darkest Self when someone recognizes you aren’t behind
the wheel, or when all your strings are gone. 

Sex Move
When you’re intimate with someone, give them the Shadowed condition. If they already have it,
mark experience and give them the Drained condition instead. If they already have that as well,
they take 1 harm.

History
    Someone is the first real friend you’ve made. Each of you take a string on
the other. This does not give them the Shadowed condition.

Someone took the heat for something you did and they know it. They take a string on you. 
This does not give them the Shadowed condition

Harm: ()()()()
    XP: ()()()()(Advance)

Conditions:
    Carry Forward:
NPC: Rick Michaels is a local boy. He's not a student at our school though, neither his grade nor his parents' standing in this town allowed that. And he is angry about that. He's got some local friends of his, usually either high school seniors, or high school graduates in dead-end jobs, and he enjoys making life miserable for people in the school. Nothing that could get him in too much trouble with the law, but enough that most students know to avoid him.

Norseman's Cove : There's stories going around that a long time ago, even before Columbus, vikings arrived here, and even had a settlement where we are now for a while. Nothing really got proven, but according to the stories and rumors, that is where they set up a camp. Some kids like to have metal concerts there for that reason. Not like there's any place more metal in Wisconsin, Maine.

Shogeton fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 1, 2015

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

Lisa Fayette, the Fae Troublemaker

Pictured: Having just played a joke on you.

So, my basic problem is that you're all selfish, stupid, jerks. It's all seriousness, all the time. "Let's not enjoy life, let's just work ourselves to death getting ready to go to another school to learn to work ourselves to death so we can go out into the world to work ourselves to death." It's no way to live, like at all. And people like you don't like it when I point out how absurd it all is; you get even madder when I refuse to do everything exactly the way they want you to. You hate the dreamers and the dancers, and I'm both. More than you might think, actually... I'm not just bragging.

You see, there's a place out there for people like me. There's entrances everywhere, but nobody thinks to look for them. Seven knocks on the seventh door on an abandoned street, the secret channel you can only find on certain nights, the brightest ray of sunshine on a cloudy day - you just gotta know how to think and where to look, and suddenly you're beyond the Hedge. The Lands and Kingdoms of Faeire, and all their splendors and glamours and wonders... and it's what the world used to be like! They've told me, they used to be everywhere till fuckheads like you ruined everything, and drove them away. Their colours and songs, you can't imagine. They make this regular world look like crap, 'cuz it is. Thanks for that.

They want to find a way back, by the way. I'm gonna help 'em. Ever since I met my first fairy when I was seven, they've been better friends than most people. It's always special - they threw me a party when I turned thirteen, and I flew on a moonbeam through ancient castles and giant woods. When my parents wouldn't let me get my learner's permit, a Fairy King let me ride a Pegasus. And I know I'm one of their favorites; they've told me.

Oh, yeah. Fine, you asked why I switched schools. Well, back at Mooreville, some brave soul, tired of them dissecting frogs, heroically freed all of them. Broke in, released them from their cages, and somehow some of those frogs ended up rifling through the teacher's desk looking for test answers - uh, probably. Anyways, since people like you - and people like you make up school administrations and police, trust me on that - were the ones investigating things, they totally scapegoated me and trumped up charges against me and so I agreed to switch schools as a kind of "plea deal" which is bullshit because they had no proof I did anything.

I did do it, though. And I did it because it was funny. Shoulda released the hamsters too, now that I think about it.

So, uh, here I am at Madison now. Nice change of pace I guess, some cute boys too, love the woods, but everything is so incredibly stuffy here. And there's gotta be some way to avoid wearing these stupid uniforms, you're suppressing my individuality with this bullshit. I think my hair may be against the rules too, but if you try and make me change it I'll stab you with the scissors. Lots of people like you here, people with bright ideas about how they'll show me that taking things seriously is important, that I need to plan ahead and put my nose to the grindstone, all that jazz.

But that's not what's going to happen. I'm gonna be the one to change this place, and not the other way around. Remember that; it's my promise to you.

quote:

Name: Lisa Fayette
Look: Girlish, Laughing Eyes
Origin: Touched with the Gift
Skin: Fae

Stats: Hot 2, Cold -1, Volatile -1, Dark 1

Backstory
You wear your heart on your sleeve. Give everyone one String.
You’ve captured someone’s fancy. Gain 2 Strings on them.

Moves

Faery Contract
If someone breaks a promise or contract made to you, take a String on them. When spending a String to even out the score and get justice on a broken promise, add these options:
  • they gently caress up something simple at a crucial moment;
  • add 2 to your roll on an act of vengeance;
  • they suffer 1 harm, whether the cause is obvious or not.
Unashamed
You can give someone a String on you to add 3 to your attempt to turn them on.

Sex Move
When you lie naked with another, you can ask them for a promise. If they refuse, take 2 Strings on them.

Darkest Self
Everything you say is a promise. Everything you hear is a promise. If a promise is broken, justice must be wrought in blood.
To escape your Darkest Self, you must in some way re-balance the scales of justice.

Think I did all of this right, never actually played Monsterhearts before. Please let me know if I made a mistake.

EDIT: Like the name of my character being inconsistent. :doh: Also, Interesting NPC / location to come.

EDIT 2: Changed my move. Also, as promised:
Father Michaels

Priest at St. Mark's Catholic Church, a centuries old building in downtown Madison - also, the only Catholic Church in town. He probably has more fun and does less work on the job than he should, but people seem to love him anyways. Supposedly a champion bowler, definitely a champion pie-eater. Lisa met him with her parents when they brought her to town - she thinks he's hiding something, probably that he's either a pervert or a serial killer. Hes just too aggressively unassuming...

The Marsden House

The expensive, offensively-well-maintained home of a local (cantankerous) recluse, Mr. Marsden. He used to be a writer, but he literally got hit by a bus and that's pretty much when he became a grumpy jerk. Given its central location in town and the ease with which Mr. Marsden can be antagonized, it should come with no surprise that messing with him is something of a pastime of the local bad-kids. Ringing and Running his house is practically a local coming-of-age ritual. Important Note: He carries a golf club and is way quicker with it than you'd expect. Be thankful for his limp. If something of yours ends up in his yard, you should probably just forget about it. Occasionally he yells abuse at passerby's from the windows. It's unknown how his house and yard stay in such great shape, since he never seems to do any work on it and no one comes over to do it for him.

Rauri fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 27, 2014

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
All looks good to me, Rauri. :)

Question 1:
Lisa:

What's one of your most vivid memories of the Lands and Kingdoms of Faerie? Something you could never do outside of it. How did it make you feel?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Leonard:
What do you think made you able to come back as a ghost, but not your parents or servants? What made you special?

I have given thought to this in the past. Personally, I believe whatever forces of power are in charge of who gets to go on to the next life or not want me to uncover the conspiracy that ruined my life. Or maybe they are just cruel and random.

Perhaps it is possible that society is still around somewhere, lurking in the shadows? Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll find something here that will point me in the right direction.

E: Forgot a person and a place.

"Starlight Silverhooves"

A smelly individual who has been trying to organize a convention of some sort in Madison. Has had difficulty since everyone online thinks he is talking about Madison, Wisconsin.

Louise's Cafe

A cafe that has been around for decades and is pretty much the main place people get their coffee from.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 27, 2014

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

AdjectiveNoun posted:

All looks good to me, Rauri. :)

Question 1:
Lisa:

What's one of your most vivid memories of the Lands and Kingdoms of Faerie? Something you could never do outside of it. How did it make you feel?

The night of my eighth grade dance. Mom and Dad grounded me for starting that food fight.. and then actual fight... and I couldn't go to the dance! It was so bogus, I had a date and a dress and we were gonna ditch it after a while to go smoke at his house, and I'd never smoked before. I even pleaded with them, but no luck - of course. Cheating me out of lifelong memories to try and teach me some dumb lesson made sense to them, because they suck.

So I took the ruddy chalk the Thorn Among the Vines gave me, drew the doorway on the ceiling - I had to stand on my bed, fairies tend to be taller than me or able to fly - and stepped through it. I, uh, maybe cried to the Fairy Queen of Summer some - she'd always told me to talk to her about stuff like that, and I was upset - and she threw a dance, just for me! There were hundreds of elves and goblins and trolls and fairies, and they had a dress of sunlight for me that was way better than the crummy one I'd bought at JC Penny! The food was sweet and amazing, and the band played music that I can only remember when I'm just waking up... so ethereal, somehow fleeting and eternal all in one. And then at the end, we danced for hours and hours, and I'd noticed we weren't standing on the ground anymore.

I could fly!

We were all flying in the moonlight... You have no idea how incredible it is... it feels like the moon and sky were hugging me! We drifted among the stars, the rhythm of our hearts and the dance entwining throughout the sky. It was so amazing, but also tiring. I wished everyone well, and changed, and then went home. And, uh... I'd apparently been there for three days. My parents thought I'd run away. That... wasn't great. But that was one of the best days of my life. I wish I could fly, more than anything else. It's true freedom.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

Robin Reese, the Cuckoo

So, I'm a bit of a klepto. It's not anything sinister. I just like to steal clothes. The problem is, they can't just be any clothes. They have to be someone else's clothes, and no, the thrift shop doesn't count. I know, it's a weird habit. There's a perfectly good explanation for it too, but I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Well, I ended up caught too many times in a neighbors' closet and dad ended up shipping me off to boarding school. My mom protested, but it was better than ending up in juvie or shot by an overzealous homeowner.

I missed my family at first, and my best friend Joey, but it didn't take me long to like it here. It put me so close to so many other people, and their wardrobes.

You see, I like to watch people and see what makes them tick. I don't mean I hang out in a corner like some wallflower. No, I like to watch them, see if they make the most of their lives, and if they don't, I take their place and take advantage of their missed opportunities for them. I can't help it if I know how to live their life better.

You know Susan? That girl was crushing so hard on Marcus, but she was too shy to ask him out. Instead of letting that opportunity fade away, I put on her clothes and gave him such a sweet kiss, he finally took notice of her and asked her out. Now their a hot couple. I may have made out with him once or twice since, but I think she'd think it was worth it. Or like with Bing. He was so mad Katie cheated on him, but he didn't know how to confront her. So I put on his outfit and told her off. Now the whole school knows she's a cheat, and he could move on with his life.

Oh yeah, I guess I should explain. That's where stealing people's clothes comes in. See, when I put on someone's outfit, I pretty much become them. Most people can't tell the difference. I could have dinner with your family, or make out with your boy and they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I found out I could do this when I was a kid and me and Joey decide to put on each other's clothes. Freaked the hell out of us at first, but he really encouraged me and made it feel normal. Now I don't know if I could live any other way.

Obviously, it doesn't always go as well as those stories I told you. And sometimes, I pass as someone for selfish reasons. But that's not important. I do a lot of good with my weird talent, and that's why you should pick me for the next season of Real World.

... okay, this is probably the dumbest idea ever. I'm just going to delete this vid-

NPC:
Justin Groesch - Just about the biggest fashionista in school. He's got a popular fashion blog and everything. His parents had to spring for a single just to house his immense wardrobe and there's a near daily parade of school services delivering packages full of clothes to his room.

Misty Pond - A small pond on the edge of the school's property. It has an old rotting cabin on a small beach with a small boat launch. It's a popular spot used by students trying to get away from the watchful eyes of the grown ups. It gets its name for the almost ever present mist that covers the pond after the sun sets.

• Look/Origin •
exuberant, flirty eyes, from the stars

• Stats •
Hot 1, Cold 2, Volatile -1, Dark -1

• Moves •
Feathers
Your magic lets you pass as the person whose clothes you're wearing. When you're seen wearing someone else's clothes, but aren't yet passing, roll with hot. On a 10 up, you're passing as them - you'd fool their mother and their favorite hookup. Mark the outfit you're wearing below. On a 7-9, same as above, but choose one:
• The magic will dissipate if you kiss or get kissed,
• The magic will dissipate if you lash out at anyone.
While you're passing as someone, give social Conditions you receive to them instead. Physical Conditions still stick to you. Anyone who takes Feathers also gets Shredding the Looking Glass.

Shredding the Looking Glass
When someone suspects you're not who you appear to be, read them this:
"If the enchantment were to be broken, the edges would be very sharp. You momentarily notice a gap in my magic. Choose one:
• tear my magic away - my identity is revealed and the clothes are in tatters, but you get scratched up in the process and take 1 harm,
• or, shake your head to clear it - it was nothing."

A Little Bird Told Me
When you blab vicious lies about someone behind their back, roll with cold. On a 10 up, give them a Condition. On a 7-9, give them a Condition, but some people don't believe you, so gain the Condition Liar.

• Outfits •

• Strings •

• Background •
You've stolen an outfit from someone. Record it under Outfits and gain a String on that person.

Someone gave you an outfit so that you could impersonate them - discuss with them and decide why. Record it under Outfits and you each get a String on one another.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

I'm in the business of...
Absolution
I'm not going to bore you with the whole boring story about my parents splitting. You've - no, we've heard the story a hundred times already. Two folks who shouldn't have even said "hi" to one another end up having a kid, and eventually you can't keep that poo poo up. Honestly, it never got really bad - no one got hit, and the arguments just meant I had to turn YouTube up a bit more.

That being said, when I applied to a whole bunch of private schools, and my Mom started "subtly" reminded me how good the ones close to her in Florida were, and my Dad was telling me about the great Drama programs that the schools near Virginia just happen to have, I made my mind up pretty quick. Off to Maine, where I got a partial scholarship anyway.

It looks really, really bland. But I'll take bland at this point. Besides, you make your own fun, right?

quote:

Character Name: Margaret "Maggie" Hayes
Look: Easy-going, Sunny Eyes
Origin: Divorce Kid
Skin: The Neighbor

Hot +1, Cold +0, Volatile +1, Dark -1

Conditions:
Carry Forward:

Harm: ( ) ( ) ( ) ( )
Experience Points:
( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) (advance)

Moves:

[+]Mixed Messages
When you're alone with someone, decide if you're attracted to them or not.
-> If you are, tell them why you can't be together and roll to shut them down, adding 1 to the roll.
-> If you're not, tell them all the things they've got going for them (to let them down easy) and roll to turn them on, adding 1 to the roll.

[+]Two Eyes
When you take your glasses off, add 1 to your hot. You actually need your glasses, so subtract 1 from rolls where sight matters.

[+]Self-Deprecating
When you talk poo poo about yourself to someone, they choose:
->Argue and give you a String,
->Let it slide and shut you down.
If it's an NPC, MC chooses: they argue and give you a String, or they mock you and the MC makes a hard move.

Sex Move:
When you scream out someone's name during sex, gain a String on them.

Darkest Self:
You feel... you feel like a monster.
What kind of monster do you feel like? A werewolf, a vampire, a ghost, a queen... it can be anything you can think of. Tell the MC, and they'll hand you that Skin or the closest thing to it. It can be different each time. Read their Darkest Self: you are drowning in metaphor. Choking on it. Your body isn't supernatural, but you're gonna take it right to the line.
You become that Darkest Self.

Strings (On them / On Me):

Backstory:
You live next to someone; your bedroom windows face. Choose:
->You watch them through the blinds and they've noticed, each gain 1 String on one another;
->You leave your blinds up while you change, each gain 2 Strings on one another.

You made out with someone a while ago. Gain a String on them and give them 2 Strings on you.

Advances:

NPC: Lauren Tillman
So, when I applied, got in, but couldn't visit, the school had me correspond with this... well, I guess she's a sophmore now? named Katie. Anyway, she's into acting too, and we talked a bit about the drama program. It seemed okay, until she started talking about how she had no idea what they'd be doing by time I got there, because it was "really Lauren's call, anyway." I figured hey, Arts teachers tend to be the wannabe-cool types that let you call them by their first name, until a few text conversations later, where she mentioned Lauren's prom date. Apparently this Junior girl has an iron fist, and it's currently clamped around the Drama program, and no one seems to question it. Something to do with her family, apparently.

Like I mentioned above, I didn't personally visit Madison before accepting, but I did look around on Google Earth a bit, and off in the woods, there was this completely circular burnt area just north of the dorms. Really fine edges on it - not really sure how they managed that without the rest of the woods catching on fire.

Maybe it was an art piece? Like neo-naturalist sculpture or something?

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

quote:

What's the worst thing that happened to get you out of a foster home? Who was responsible, you or Uncle Jack?

I still remember, I was twelve. and I was with yet another foster family. They already had a son, Troy, a bit older than me. He didn't like me, not that I was trying to make him like me. But he had friends at school. So one day I was out on the street, smoking a cigarette, talking to Uncle jack, and he and his friends started hassling me. So I just tried to be quiet, but he stole my cigarettes. And it was really hard for me to get those back then. So I pushed him. And then his friends grabbed and me and they started punching me. Uncle Jack was angry.

I called for help, and Uncle Jack helped me. I watched as he got out their hold. And he grabbed Troy by his shirt and pushed him out in the street. Troy got hit by a car. I don't know how it ended. I was back with the Adoption Agency a few hours later. Didn't get any problems with the police. There were some witnesses saying they attacked me, I called for help, just kinds arguing running out of hand. But I was watching when Uncle Jack acted, though my eyes. He was watching the street, and holding him just long enough for a car to be close by.

He says that it's sad, but it's the way of things. I should get used to it. Normal people will hate and fear me, and they'll not show me mercy, so I shouldn't show them any. I just... asked him not to do that again and he hasn't done anything that bad since.

There's also some other. The worst thing I did that did NOT get me out of a foster home. And, well, away from my current foster parents. And that was me trying to do it.

What I did? I... I guess I really feel bad about stealing from them. I mean... it was easy. Didn't even need Uncle Jack's help. Sara is always busy, so it was just a matter of standing nearby when she makes an ATM withdrawal and watch the code. Then just sneak out with her card and make a large withdrawal. I didn't really know what to do with the money. I guess the money wasn't the point. I ended up buying a console and a bunch of video games I didn't really care about. gently caress, I was going to lose them all anyway soon as they noticed I figured. I just didn't want them to keep the money they got for keeping me, like Uncle Jack told me.

So, they found out soon enough. I still see the shock on their faces, heard them talk about the problems they got now. And I'm bracing myself to be booted out again, got a bag with some food and money in case they just kick me out directly. Doesn't take long for them to figure out who took it, and when they ask me, I don't deny it, I'm just quiet. And they... they asked me if I was in any trouble. If anyone was forcing me to steal. Or if I had... any addictions, and that they wanted help me. And that they loved me, and I shouldn't worry about the money, they'll be fine and... all the time Uncle Jack is telling me that they're just corny lines to confuse me. But gently caress it, he's wrong. These are good people, and I just flushed their next mortgage payment down the drain. I... well... I kind of bawled.

I guess, I've been trying to... be decent to them since.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Question 1:
Robin:
When's one time you tried to use your powers for good, but only ended up making things worse? How did it make you feel?

Maggie:
What's the worst thing about being a divorce kid? What's the best thing, the silver lining to your situation?

Question 2:
Leonard:
You've spent decades dreaming - what's a good dream you've had? Have you had any nightmares?

Lisa:
What's the worst thing someone's done to you for, well, being yourself?

Damien:
What's the best thing Uncle Jack's ever done for you?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Amanda Gibson

I'm no one special. Or at least I don't want to be anyone special. My dad though people look at him and say he's going places. Right now he's just a state senator but there's talk of congress seats and a run for governor in his future if he plays his cards right. Yeah I know I've heard all the jokes my favourite is the one about how the snake bit him and then keeled over from the poison. See I love my dad but these days it seems he just ignores me. I'm just a prop for his political ambitions.

I was supposed to be going to a good school that has something like a 95% admission rate to Harvard with my friends. Instead I ended up in this place because "the people want candidates who are local people, who are family men. Clean shaven square jawed the works." So here I am Madison, Maine the town time forgot. Dad ruined my life for his career I'm stuck in this dead end for who knows how long. Still perhaps it won't be all bad.

There's going to be other kids there who'll like me I'm sure. I just got to find the right boy (or even the right girl. Let's see how dads "family values" deal with that!) and then I can show him. I can show them all, I want to be my own person. Not just my Dads daughter for the rest of my life.

In a few monsterhearts games so if other people have priority then they're welcome.

quote:

Name: Amanda Gibson
Look: Beautiful, Human Eyes
Skin: The Mortal
Origin: Somebody

Stats:
Hot: 2
Cold: -1
Volatile: -1
Dark: 1

Darkest Self:

Nobody understands you, or even wants to. They’d rather
you disappear. Well, you’re not going to disappear. You’re
going to make life a living hell for them. You’ll betray the
wicked to the judges, the weak to the executioners. You’ll
pit humans and supernaturals against one another, until
everyone looks like monsters. Only seeing the pain that you’re
causing your lover will let you escape your Darkest Self.

Sex Move

When you have sex with someone, trigger their Darkest
Self.

Moves:

True Love

You always have exactly one lover. The first is chosen during
your backstory. If you ever fall in love with someone else
instead, give them a String and they become your new
lover. You always carry 1 forward to earning your lover’s
heart or fancy.

Down the Rabbit Hole

When you go poking your nose in affairs not meant for
your kind, someone involved in the situation gains a
String on you, and you mark experience.

Entrenched

If you and another character have a total of 5 or more
Strings on one another, gain 1 to all rolls against them.

Your Backstory:

The Mortal always declares their backstory last. Declare
one person to be your lover. Give them three Strings on
you. Take one String on them.

NPC

Mayor Joseph "Old Joe" Jackson

Joe Jackson has been mayor of Madison for so long there are grown adults with kids of their own who don't remember any other mayor. His opponents have stopped even trying to run candidates against him as he is that popular. The town rumour mill has it that he has a terrible gambling problem. That is he likes to gamble but is terrible at it. Still he never seems short of money so he must be winning sometimes right? No way would Old Joe be corrupt. He loves this town and would never steal from it.

The Roll of the Dice

"The Dice" as it is known not so affectionately is a creaky old bar three blocks down from the town hall. When the mayor's not in his office he can usually be found in the back room engaged in a few friendly rounds of poker with his old cronies. Since those old cronies include the chief of police and at least one judge no one takes the laws against gambling too seriously. Rumour has it that more of the towns business gets done there than in the town hall. What passes for Madisons movers and shakers can be found every Thursday there for their weekly poker game.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Dec 30, 2014

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Leonard:
You've spent decades dreaming - what's a good dream you've had? Have you had any nightmares?

The dreams? The dreams. I can recall them so vividly.

There is a certain sickness of the mind that I am aware of. It's commonly found in soldiers or factory workers who have been in terrible accidents. There are many names for it, such as shell shock, maladie du pays, and estar roto. From what I understand, the way it works is when one has experienced something so incredibly awful, such as fighting in a war that's even nastier than usual, or seeing your loved ones die in front of oneself, it causes them to go mad in a strange way, and usually occurs when something happened to remind them of it. Generally it involves reliving the moment or being unresponsive. The medical community was still researching it at the time of my death.

In any case, it would best describe my nightmares. Normally when I began dreaming, it would be some random assortment of memories jumbled together, and then just one thing, just one thing would remind me of my afterlife, and it would turn into a nightmare. A common one was seeing my parents being murdered. Another was being surrounded by people in ballroom masks and renaissance-era clothing. But the most common one, the one that plagued that long sleep, and made me wish for the dark nothingness to return, was being burned alive. Just dreadful.

But every once in a while, a pleasant dream would come up, without everything going wrong. My favorite one was of one New Years where the entire family was invited over for a great party in New York. The adults were gathered in the ballroom, dancing, drinking, and discussing the highlights their year. Meanwhile, us children were roaming about the halls, playing games, exploring, and generally having a good time. Though I wish I could say I was spending that time in the library, but I was playing and joking and running around as much as any other child. Finally, everyone was gathered together, and we counted down the last few seconds of the year. And then, it was 1919, and the fireworks went off. Simple, but marvelous.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 28, 2014

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Heyyy gonna app a werewolf to this. She's really, really unhappy about the whole "turn into a hairy monster every full moon" thing. So very annoyed.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Joel the Ghoul is completed, ready for questioning. (edited into my first post)

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Question 1:

Amanda:
Aside from making you go to this school, what's the worst thing your dad's done to you for the sake of his political ambitions?

Joel:
Has your family noticed any change in you since your rebirth? Does it feel like they've treated you differently?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Hazel Grant, Witch

You want to know how I got this power? Let me tell you, it's the weirdest thing that's ever happened to me. So a little after my family and I move here, I'm setting up in my new room. I wasn't too thrilled with it because my sister got the bigger one. But when I open the closet and start checking things out, I notice there's a bit of the wall that looks a little different. I start messing around with it, and it turns out be a tiny panel with a button behind it. So I push the button, really curious about what's going on. That's when the entire wall of the closet slides open and I can see a whole nother room! Looking in, I spot stacks and stacks of books along with a mirror set on the floor for some reason. I check out the books and it's all this dumb magic poo poo. I look at it for some laughs because I mean, really, would you expect any of that to work? The previous owner must have been a loving weirdo of the highest degree. It's still pretty rad having a secret room though, and I figured I could use it to hide poo poo from my family.

However I kept finding myself drawn back to the books and even though I'm thinking to myself 'This is bullshit', it's still fascinating. I almost want to try it out, except it's all hexes and making people suffer and poo poo. Not really a thing you should just do, right? But then, one day this rear end in a top hat gives me the opportunity. See, there's this guy - name of Tyler Schwartz Jr. Some big shot football player who figures he has the right to do whatever he wants. You know the type. Well, he humiliated my sister River one day. Now, there's no way for me to stand up to him, the guy's a loving giant. But I start thinking about the books. They constantly mention "sympathetic tokens" - personal poo poo you can use to hit someone with a spell from wherever you want. So I pick up a note he had written and then I save it. On the day of a big game, when I'm at home and he would be out on the field, I decide to make it seem like all the bugs and poo poo that would be out there just come after him. The way I heard, Tyler flipped the gently caress out, dropped the ball, and started running around screaming. Really goddamn hilarious, I gotta say. I felt much better, and now I knew I had something special.

Now don't get me wrong - I'm not just going to throw these hexes around. But, you know, sometimes there are people who just need to be taken down a peg. And besides I'm smart enough not to be careless with this. If I hex someone, they'll have deserved it. Trust me.

quote:

Look: lith, calculating eyes

Origin: Gifted

Stats

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile -1, Dark 2

Moves:

Sympathetic Tokens
You gain power from sympathetic tokens - items of personal significance that you take from others. Each sympathetic token counts as a String.

Hex-Casting
You can cast Hexes. Choose two that you know. To cast them, either expend a sympathetic token during a secret ritual, or meet the target’s gaze and chant at them in tongues. Then roll with dark. On a 10 up, the Hex works, and can easily be reversed. On a 7-9, it works but choose one:
}} the casting does you 1 harm;
}} the Hex has unexpected side effects;
}} trigger your Darkest Self.

Sanctuary
You have a secret place for practising witchcraft. Add 1 to all rolls you make within this space.

Hexes:

Binding
The person cannot physically harm others.

Illusions
Pick one: snakes and bugs, demonic visages, false prophecies, non-existent subtext. The hexed sees that thing everywhere. You have no control over the exact images or manifestations.

Sex Move
After sex, you can take a sympathetic token from them. They know about it, and it’s cool.

Darkest Self
The time for subtlety and patience is over. You’re too powerful to put up with their garbage any longer. You hex anyone who slights you. All of your hexes have unexpected side effects, and are more effective than you are comfortable with. To escape your Darkest Self, you must offer peace to the one you have hurt the most.

Your Backstory

You start the game with two sympathetic tokens. Decide whose and what they are.

One of the others caught you rummaging through their friend’s stuff, but kept quiet. They get a String on you.

NPC: Abel Hunt. Oh man, this guy. Total bible-thumping rear end in a top hat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on his religion, just how he goes around insulting and judging others all the time and letting them know exactly what he thinks about their lifestyles and choices and god knows what else. I can't help but think that it would be kind of funny to gently caress with him. Maybe demons will pop up, or he starts seeing "actual" heavenly visions. But those are just thoughts to amuse myself with. I'd honestly be a little too worried about what would happen if I did that to a guy like Abel.

Location: The Old Baseball Field. This is a field that had been built for the town's baseball team that never quite worked out. Sometimes, when I'm feeling stressed or tired or whatever I like to come by and just lie down, thinking about whatever. There's something about this place that makes it so easy to relax. I've lost track of hours before. Funny thing is, I've seen other people drop by here too but no one ever really talks or even interacts with each other. Almost like a place where everyone can get some solitude, even if others are right there.

Heliotrope fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 29, 2014

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Joel:
Has your family noticed any change in you since your rebirth? Does it feel like they've treated you differently?

Mom keeps asking if I'm sick. She says my lips are blue, or she feels my forehead and looks concerned about it. Whenever I go over there it's chicken soup and orange juice. She throws blankets on me if I'm sitting on the couch. I tell her I'm fine and not to worry about it, but she doesn't believe me. I don't really know what to do. My skin's IS cold and too pale, and I look thinner now, like I haven't been eating enough for weeks. I've been dodging the doctor but one of these days I think she's going to lock me in the car and drag me down there and then... I don't know what'll happen. My pulse isn't normal, my temperature's in the 'dead body' range, and I'm pretty sure I only breathe out of force of habit. It's... it's hosed up.

Dad just glares at me when we see each other, which isn't often nowadays. He knows I'm hiding something, but he isn't going to lower himself enough to ask. Probably thinks I'm on drugs. rear end in a top hat.

Jenna was the tough one. She noticed I was avoiding her right off and called me out on it. I decided to just act normal around her, whatever normal was for me now. I had to lie to her, which sucked, but she bought the concussion story. I asked her to tell me if I was acting funny, and not to freak out, and DEFINITELY not to tell mom. So far she's been a big help. She noticed how stiff I was standing, how much I was just... staring into space without blinking. I can force myself to act normal as long as I'm careful. I just have to stay focused on it.

walruscat
Apr 27, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question 1:
Robin:
When's one time you tried to use your powers for good, but only ended up making things worse? How did it make you feel?

Yeah, believe it or not that happens pretty often. I have the best of intentions, but I'm not perfect. Sometimes I get a read on a person and it happens to be wrong.

A few weeks ago I was pretty sure Phil had the hots for Justin but he was a bit too deep in the closet to make a move. So I dug around in that same closet, came out with an outfit I thought Justin would like (I basically copied a look from his blog), and made a pass at him. Nothing crazy, just enough to let him know Phil was interested so Justin would make a move.

So Justin asks him out in front of a whole bunch of people in the rec room and Phil straight up freaks out. Now Phil's convinced everyone thinks he's gay, insists he's not and just locks himself in his room after classes.

I feel pretty bad about it. I didn't want to hurt Phil, but in the end he's better off figuring out his issues while he's young and can still have some fun. Instead of at 40 when he's married with two kids.

Rauri
Jan 13, 2008

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Lisa:
What's the worst thing someone's done to you for, well, being yourself?

Middle school kinda sucked for me. I got into fights some and problems with teachers a lot, but mostly I was just sick of everyone going from being cool kids to boring adult-wannabes. No one wanted to run around and have fun anymore, suddenly watching cartoons wasn't allowed, pajamas are out of the question, it was all "lets try and be the newest celebrity." Lost a lot of friends, and didn't really make that many more for a while.

So, I wanted to hang out in Faerie more, since it was the only place in my life that wasn't turning to poo poo. Having to hope they came to visit me, or that I chanced across a gateway, or wasn't grounded for long enough to go search for one was getting really old. The Queen of Elphame traded me the knowledge of how to construct a gateway for my knowledge of how to ride a bike though, after I all but begged her, so I set about making one.

You got any idea how much work goes into making one? It took me more than two months of sneaking out at night, jogging. Uh, earlier I'd have just ridden my bike, but... anyways,of going to my "secret" spot in the woods to recite poems on specific nights, ring the perimeter with salt, frame the door I dragged there from the construction site 90 degrees to the west of the rising sun on the morning of the equinox, and all other manner of stuff.

Well, I said "secret" with such bitterness because one of my former friends - Amanda - saw me, and followed me. So it wasn't. And she, and a bunch of the other loving assholes that were in my class came and wrecked everything. They thought I was making a tree fort, and that doing so was for little kids. I hadn't even seen it yet when they told me about it, and made fun of me basically all day. I wanted to both kill Amanda and curl up sobbing... I'd almost been done with it, it didn't hurt them at all to let me finish it, it didn't even have anything to do with them! They ruined it because I made it. She'd said she was my friend, and she'd lied, and I'd believed her. It was like I was going to have my own Bridge to Terabithia, but noooo! I never got the chance to build another one, either. That was my one chance.

The only bright sides to the whole thing were that I picked up skateboarding, and a few weeks later when Amanda slipped and faceplanted during her Basketball game. Coincidentally enough, I think that was minutes after I found a gateway in the boiler room.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Going to post an Heir.

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

quote:

Maggie:
What's the worst thing about being a divorce kid? What's the best thing, the silver lining to your situation?

Honestly, the worst part was realizing how much of my view of them was this... fake thing. Honestly, it really took me by surprise.

As for the silver lining - well, it hasn't been long enough to get those divorce kid "consolation prizes" like double-Xmas and Birthdays, but they've been fairly supportive of my decision to go to Maine - I think since each of them hopes I went there to get away from the other one. Plus, when I flew to Virginia with all the stuff Mom bought me (y'know, suitcases, extra clothes), Dad tried to one-up her pretty hard. Not sure how he afforded this laptop...

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question 1:

Amanda:
Aside from making you go to this school, what's the worst thing your dad's done to you for the sake of his political ambitions?

You mean aside from having to sit through all those stupid political rallies and listen to dad drone on about "American values" without falling asleep? I'm telling you, the CIA may be up to some pretty freaky stuff but even waterboarding can't be that much torture right?

The worst was back in grade school. I'd tried out for the soccer team and well it turns out I'm a pretty good striker. So we'd fought our way through all the knockout rounds to get to the state final. Mom had been watching the whole way through but dad was always busy. Still this was the final the biggest game of the season. He promised he'd be there but he never showed. I asked him about it later and he didn't even say sorry all he said was an important political meeting had come up at the last minute that he just had to be at. I freaked. Completely lost my temper and told him where he could shove his political career if it meant he would keep ignoring me like this over things that were important to me. Got grounded for like a month but it was worth it. I mean what kind of a lovely dad can't spare time for his daughter.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.
Question 1:
Hazel:
Has anyone had a reason to suspect you? Friends, family, has anyone noticed you being suspicious?

Question 2:
Robin:
What's the worst thing someone's ever done to you? How did you get revenge on them? Was it worth it?

Maggie:
What scares you the most about Madison? What excites you the most about Madison?

Joel:
Who do you feel you need vengeance on the most, and why? How do you plan to achieve that?

Amanda:
What have you done to get back at your dad for putting his career above what you want?

Question 3:
Leonard:
What thing in this new world do you like the most? What thing can you barely even tolerate?

Lisa:
The Fae have done a lot for you; what kind of things have they asked you to do in return, specifically? How much of that have you done?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Question 3:
Leonard:
What thing in this new world do you like the most? What thing can you barely even tolerate?

What do I like the most? Computers.

From what I understand, they are calculating devices so powerful, that nearly any form of information can be stored on them, and yet despite being so complicated, they are easy enough to operate that even a small child could use one. And not only that, they are actually connected to each other in a manner similar to telephones, allowing the storage and transportation of information to be near-limitless and instantaneous, respectively. I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to have had such a device growing up

What do I hate the most? Modern clothing.

It seems that somewhere along the course of history, people decided to do away with any sense of taste with how they dressed, either completely abandoning the idea of dressing well in favor of comfort, or having no idea what makes fashionable clothing fashionable, and perverting stylish outfits into disgusting abominations. I mean, certainly, not everyone dresses that way, but too many of them do. And I don't think it's a matter of money, either. Why just the other day I saw a young man wearing denim shorts, a t-shirt with a picture of a figure that resembled a circus strongman with a cape, tennis shoes, and a fedora with a leopard-skin pattern. Why? Just, why?

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 28, 2014

Jolinaxas
Oct 24, 2012

Absolution

quote:

Maggie:
What scares you the most about Madison? What excites you the most about Madison?

Can I answer that in reverse order?

I'm really excited about being out on my own. People have always said I'm an independent kind of person. I know it's not quite like moving out, but I'm so glad I'm getting to do this before college.

That being said, what happens if this place totally sucks? There's almost nothing around - no one else to hang out with. I mean, I know that boarding schools have kind of a reputation - you know, lots of rich assholes - but everyone can't be like that, right?

Right?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...

Takanago posted:

I think I'll make a Hollow.

Nevermind. I've decided to focus on other things right now.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Alisha Richards, (very annoyed) Werewolf

So when I was like, two or three and toddling around the kindergarten, I got into a fight with some kid and he bit me. We all thought he was, like, autistic or had ADD or something. Then I started turning into a crazy wolf-person every month and my parents realised just how much deep poo poo we were all in.

Let's get a few things out of the way. No, it's not romantic, or cool, or amazing. It's a pain in the goddamn rear end. It's like an all-over bad hair day, and also you start thinking with your nose at the same time as your brain. I turn twelve feet tall which means, if the "do I keep my human brain" coin lands heads, I can't fit in anybody's house and get claustrophobic. I have to get out of there. Sometimes I lose track of where I've been and what I've been doing, which is scary as hell. I woke up covered in pine needles and mud once. That was terrifying. Anyone who writes those dumb stories about how great it is to be a wolf have never stopped to consider how super-gross it is, and how expensive it is. Eventually, I got enough control over it that I don't freak out on autopilot, but that took a lot of trial and error and broken furniture.

So my family moved a lot, because I can't stay in a school very long before some shithead discovers what happens to me once a month and things go bad. I managed to get through grade school somehow, thank god. But finding a high school - that's tough. My parents didn't want me to be double ostracised for both being... well, me. I'm a bit abrasive at the best of times, I'll admit, but the wolf thing is a big no no. They figured they'd put me up in this loving boring-rear end school in Maine to hide me, so if things went wrong, it wouldn't go so bad.

Me personally, I took up Judo. Nobody is going to gently caress with me here. If these out-of-state vultures think they can gang up on me, they can think again.

quote:

Name: Alisha Richards
Skin: Werewolf
Look: Wiry, Fierce Eyes
Origin: Bitten

Stats: Hot 1, Cold 0, Volatile 2, Dark 0

Moves:
Uncontainable: When you attempt to escape any form of physical entrapment, roll with volatile. On a 10 up, you escape. On a 7-9 the MC will offer you a hard bargain: agree if you want to escape.

Bare Your Fangs: While you are your Darkest Self, you may use Volatile instead of Cold to shut someone down or hold steady.

Primal Dominance: When you harm someone, gain a string on them.

Take the Blow: When you leap into the way and take the blow instead of someone else, roll with Volatile. On a 10 up, you take the harm instead of them, but reduce it by 1. On a 7-9, you take the harm instead of them.

Heightened Senses

Sex Move
When you have sex with someone, you establish a spirit connection with them. Until either of you breaks that spirit connection, by having sex with someone else, add 1 to all rolls made to defend them. You can tell when that connection has been broken.

Darkest Self
You transform into a terrifying wolf-creature. You crave power and dominance, and those are earned through bloodshed. If anyone attempts to stand in your way, they must be brought down and made to bleed. You escape your Darkest Self when you wound someone you really care about or the sun rises, whichever happens first.

Backstory
You lack subtlety. Give a String to everyone.

You’ve spent weeks watching someone from a distance. Their scent and mannerisms are unmistakable to you now. Take 2 Strings on them.

ADVANCES
- +1 Dark (from -1 to 0)
- Primal Dominance
- Chosen's Take the Blow
- Grown Up (Make Someone Feel Beautiful, Intervene)
- +1 Cold (from -1 to 0)
- Heightened Senses

NPC: Richie Wilkins, a friend of my dads, works as a magician for kids' birthday parties. He can do ticks that even I can't figure out. When I ask him, he just laughs. He's a nice guy, though, and the kids like him a lot.

Location: Jolene's Burger Bar, near the truck stop on the edge of town. It's usually quiet except for the truckers that come through every so often. It does awesome venison burgers.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Damien:
What's the best thing Uncle Jack's ever done for you?

That's a really hard question to answer. I mean, there never was one thing that made me feel like Uncle Jack was close to me. He's always been there for me. And I mean always. When I laughed, when I cried, when I was angry, when I was lonely. For most of my life it's been him and me against the world. I mean, looking after me is the reason he exists, he told me, and I believe him. So I never really thought about it. Uncle Jack helps me, the rest of the world tries to gently caress me over. I guess maybe I should rethink the second one?

One thing I remember better than most. Uncle Jack doesn't like bright lights. I try to avoid going outside when it's clear and the sun is high, and other really bright places. And for Uncle Jack it's a lot harder and painful to really reach out and take things. So, there is this one thing I have from my parents. Once, when I ran away from a foster home, Uncle Jack led me to the home where my parents raised me. It was some kind of old farm in the middle of nowhere. But we found a ring. It was too large to fit on my fingers though, still is, so I hung it on a cord around my neck.

A few years later another family I ended up with decided to take a trip to a ski resort. It was pretty boring and pretty cold. And Uncle Jack didn't like it. But at some point I was changing some clothes, and when I pull the sweater over my neck, the amulet came along, and fell down a mountain slope. I reached for it, but it was Uncle Jack that got it. He must have stretched dozens and dozens of meters to reach it, and I could hear him cry out in pain. He as barely able to do anything for a few weeks. I felt really bad for being so careless. So these days I wear the ring on a small metal chain, tight enough it can't come off without undoing the clasp.

• Locked thread