Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
nope, its not paleo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

psyopmonkey posted:

No.

The highest they run is 2.4GHZ.

Most GSM modems run at 900Mhz.

CDMA are at 1.8GHZ I think?
im pretty sure those are all in the microwave spectrum tho...?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

a hole-y ghost posted:

im pretty sure those are all in the microwave spectrum tho...?

"Considering the frequency of 2,450 MHz, the wavelength of microwave oven radiation is about 12 cm and the quantum energy of a microwave photon is about 1 x 10-5 eV. The radiation interaction at such energies is limited to the production of molecular rotation and torsion." - Google

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

psyopmonkey im not an ant!! i cant read that!! maybe this is why i did bad in physics, darn

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Psyop was trained by the US Military, so I wouldn't trust quite everything he's saying.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

id have to be like a reverse anime to read that, with tiny eyes

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
The term "Microwave" is being bandied about.

Its just a set of frequencies.

What really matters is the direction of the wave and how much power is being pushed down it.

"Radiation" is different.

Go read a book you hobos.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

psyopmonkey posted:

lets try to forget cdma exists

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

gary oldmans diary posted:

lets try to forget cdma exists

You leave code division multiplex address schema alone, mister!

It has a place in my heart.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
hey rest of the world i heard you like the metric system and gsm -amerigay

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Is it just me or does every goon work in IT or telecom?

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Pendent posted:

Troons do STEM stuff.

The good ones who arnt total loser retards at least.

Pink Fields are for losers and hippies.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
All I know is that my microwave made me feel really uncomfortable once. I just sat there, staring at it. Where did this strange machine come from? Who are the men that built this, what drove them to the pinnacle of genius required to invent something that makes water molecules dance around to heat up food. I mean, whats up with that???

Where do they live? what do they think about. Do they get a lot of pussi? They must have had a very puritanical work ethic.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

killaer posted:

All I know is that my microwave made me feel really uncomfortable once. I just sat there, staring at it. Where did this strange machine come from? Who are the men that built this, what drove them to the pinnacle of genius required to invent something that makes water molecules dance around to heat up food. I mean, whats up with that???

Where do they live? what do they think about. Do they get a lot of pussi? They must have had a very puritanical work ethic.

You can thank the Raytheon Corporation and Mr Spencer.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Raytheon is a terrifying corporation

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

killaer posted:

Percy Spencer noticed a bar of chocolate melting quickly in his pants pocket while doing experiments with radiation. He thought this is useful instead of are my nuts still ok.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

killaer posted:

Northrup Grumman and GD are pretty cool.

Raytheon is full of old men.

Harris is who I would chill with.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Don't put metal in your science oven, op.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Let's learn about microwaves from this friendly Ukranian bloke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebxtqXcCrf4

e:
also this one where they take the magnetron out and hold lightbulbs over the emitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDOE-zDVZc

yes you can also hear artillery in the background from the Russian sepratists.

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Dec 27, 2014

Slurin
Jul 17, 2008
I am a coward who makes grandiose claims and then runs away when asked for evidence. Please ignore everything I have to say.

psyopmonkey posted:

"Considering the frequency of 2,450 MHz, the wavelength of microwave oven radiation is about 12 cm and the quantum energy of a microwave photon is about 1 x 10-5 eV. The radiation interaction at such energies is limited to the production of molecular rotation and torsion." - Google

Microwave chemistry is rather interesting, molecules without an inducible dipole are not microwave active - you could put a cup of hexane in a microwave and irradiate it for a day and no heat would be generated.

For microwave active compounds an active area of research ia determining if there is a specific "microwave effect" for reactions. Essentially by forcing a transition state to rotate you may see new chemistry. Its hotly debated if it is real though.

Another cool thing about microwaves is that the federal government has forbidden the production and use of any microwave emitter that does not operate at a specific frequency mandated by the feds. The claim is that other sources would interfere with communication channels. To most people this means nothing, but to scientists it means you cannot build a microwave spectrometer and take a microwave absorption spectrum, ever basically. So a huge area of important research basically is shut down by people wearing tin foil hats in the government that literally cant process simple facts, like building a faraday cage around the spectrometer.

And whoever said these waves are not radiation is wrong, all light is radiation, its just the gamma rays are ionizing

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Slurin posted:

And whoever said these waves are not radiation is wrong, all light is radiation, its just the gamma rays are ionizing

To the average retarded schlub "Radiation" is this mystical force that makes your balls fall off. Not just another term for the transfer of energy.

Thats why its not good to use around lay folk.

Halah
Sep 1, 2003

Maybe just another light that shines
If you have a ham radio license technically you can operate in the microwave frequencies at up to 1500 watts, so get your license and have fun frying chickens just remember to only use the minimum power necessary to complete a transmission :science:

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

every boring post by poopmonkey in one thread. amazing

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:gas:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OldMemes posted:

Don't put metal in your science oven, op.

it's really depressing to read stuff like that, it makes you realise how overbearing and overprotective everyone has become. nothing will happen to your precious little microwave if you put some metal in it. yes, really. try it if you don't believe me.

when I was a kid we used the microwave oven for all kinds of poo poo: quick dried laundry in minutes, ripened fruits, recharged batteries, regenerated old car tires and so on. never had anything bad happen and it saved us a ton of money when we were poor.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
u cant put metal in the microwave dude, says so right on the instructions

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

mng posted:

e: it's really a bit creepy when you GIS "microwave's mom" and there's like, a lot there.

sexy creepy

google gave me this for micro mom

I dont think thats he mum...

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Could you monitor the induction in each of the coil sets so you can determine the exact moment to pump current through the coil as the projectile passes? That might be a reliable, passive way to determine where the projectile is.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Wait a second does that say "penis?" :stonk:

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
the waves vibrate your food until it's hot, exactly like a shakeweight

killaer posted:

they pay alright and their account managers have the most luscious tits

Stoic Commie fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 27, 2014

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

shiksa posted:

microwaves were reverse engineered from technology found at ufo wreckage sites, this is why we know alien food groups are based on pizza rolls and hot pockets

what would a reverse engineered microwave do??

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

a hole-y ghost posted:

sorry but i was hoping for a device that uses one's dick to create a strong Lorenz force. now thats a feat to see
wrap copper coil around fleshlight

insert magnetic rod into urethra

gently caress fleshlight

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
remind me again whats wrong with just using a campfire in the backyard to reheat food

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

psyopmonkey posted:

No.

The highest they run is 2.4GHZ.

Most GSM modems run at 900Mhz.

3G is 2.1ish gig, gsm in cities is 1.9 and 1.8, newest 4g band is 2.65 in europe

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Why is putting a baby in the microwave okay?

Decebal
Jan 6, 2010
Could a microwave gun exist ? So the radiation is directed at someone and not contained in a box ? Maybe an oven could be modified or something

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pendent posted:

are you surprised that a forum full of fat as poo poo trolls with no social skills went in to IT

killaer
Aug 4, 2007

Decebal posted:

Could a microwave gun exist ? So the radiation is directed at someone and not contained in a box ? Maybe an oven could be modified or something

sexy young infidel
Nov 13, 2014

Faggot of the Year
2012, 2014
I'm actually not fat, and i don't have avatars or sigs on :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

There's a video in the Russian thread of a guy doing just that. He took the thing out of a microwave and then points it a a bunch of poo poo.gently caress if I'm gonna go find it though.

• Locked thread