Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I'm dtp, but I'm out of town the 30th through the 3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
(We should probably discuss now whether or not we're going to be a RP only server. You can guess which way I'm voting, gentlegoons.) <-- ooc

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
##Bet CT all

Bang bang bang.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I once went to a Counter-Strike tournament and our team got in trouble because we bought Riot Shields.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I can't tell if I'm just delirious or none of this actually makes any sense.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Chic Trombone posted:

Seriously don't confirm someone as town just because they are good at chess

##vote Chic Trombone

Coaching without making an actual statements about alignment.

I've never seen WO so I'm probably not going to lynch them day one.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Chic Trombone posted:

I don't actually think you can make solid alignment statements this little into D1 especially when most of the thread's been counterstrikechat (arms race was indeed fun) and chessspectating

Okay, I agree. It's generally hard to make statements about alignment early in day one, especially when the thread has largely been nonserious. However, I think it's fairly clear you and others assign some value to Orpheus' post. I think it's shady to say that you don't have any opinion on him at all while you're coaching him to play less scummy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
does my Fantastically Bad Vote say anything about my alignment?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey, I saw the deadline is tomorrow. WO has been more active than a bunch of people, myself included. I think that it'd be silly to lunch him today, especially when he hasn't played in a while.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Eh, I think the CT case is a bad case but so is this. It's such an easy thing to jump on, someone commenting on a bad case. I think it is a really lazy and "by the books" case, rather than you actually feeling like you've found scum Rarity.

And I don't agree that KFC is worse for his post than Ernie or Kumba. Both those guys actually voted, KFC just said it was worst thing "so far". I think the players actually pushing the CT vote are scummier.

I don't care for this post at all. I rarely have a handle on FV but this feels very unlike FV. She's dumping on the small bit of content we have so far without really saying why. I don't get how CT or KFC is at all a 'by the books' case, or why that is a bad thing.

I mean, day one, if someone does something textbook scummy, it's a bad idea to lynch them because _______? Help me fill in the blank here.

I agree with Rarity's points and I think I'd like to lunch in this order. FV, KFC, and CT. ##vote fiery_valkyrie

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

it could be an attempt to put pressure, so i guess not

I usually play day one this way but honestly I don't think that was my intent. I've been in a fugue state the past two days though.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Murmur Twin posted:

I am the CS equivalent of someone walking forward into a corner with no idea how to change directions.

I got back today from being offline all weekend and was going to force myself to case someone, but my eyes tend to glaze over when the discussion moves too much towards games (especially Chess and FPSes). I figure that rather than posting crap I'll just be upfront - I'm hoping I can wait until more game-related stuff has happened.

The main vote leaders have been Winged Orpheus and Chic Trombone. You should read them if nothing else. I'm suspicious of FV and to a lesser extent KFC for reasons outlined above and I'd suggest reading them.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Allen Wren posted:

and somber pushes fv after fv criticises the ct push

curiouser

Did you read FV's post? There are some pretty clear issues with it and I explained what they were.

While you're here, what do you think of Rarity's case on KFC?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Allen Wren posted:

yeah I read fv's post. I don't think it's as big a deal as you're making it out to be

rarity's case seems solid though

This is not at all rhetorical, can you explain the following for me?

If you agree that the points against KFC are good, what do you think of FV saying that Rarity's case on him is 'lazy' and too 'by the book'?

Why is voting someone based on a 'by the book' case a bad idea?

Is the case on Chic Trombone bad as in wrong, or bad as in scummy? Can you explain the thought behind your answer? FV seems to think it is both and hasn't explained why.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If you were using a goddamn mic this wouldn't be a problem. Hop on IRC if you want to type all day but I'm here to kick rear end and chew up pubbies, and I'm all out of rear end.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Allen Wren posted:

This is not at all rhetorical, can you explain the following for me?

what the gently caress does 'this is not at all rhetorical' mean speak english

It means I wanted you to actually respond, I realized while I was writing it like it could sound like I was just being a dick. Thanks for taking the time to do so.

Allen Wren posted:

If you agree that the points against KFC are good, what do you think of FV saying that Rarity's case on him is 'lazy' and too 'by the book'?

wait i thought fv was talking about the ct case fml

Does this change your opinion of FV?

Allen Wren posted:

Why is voting someone based on a 'by the book' case a bad idea?

because shut up

no seriously it's because there is gently caress all for content and basically we're still at the point where people are throwing poo poo at the wall and overreacting to it so there is no such thing as a by the book case at this point and so acting like there is one is scummy

Okay, 'by the book' is something FV said, which is why I repeatedly put it into quotation marks. Does this mean you think FV is scummy?

Allen Wren posted:

Is the case on Chic Trombone bad as in wrong, or bad as in scummy? Can you explain the thought behind your answer? FV seems to think it is both and hasn't explained why.

what's the difference

what you want me to read fv's mind? gently caress if I know

yeah actually i would like you to explain what FV is thinking if you're defending the same position

I think I made the difference clear earlier but the distinction between bad-wrong and bad-scummy is important because uh, it says something about alignment.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Valk, I am not sure I see what is so scummy about an easy case. Yeah, opportunism is a thing sometimes, but it's very situational and I don't see it here. I also think that characterizing Rarity's vote as lazy and then making an alignment call based on a perceived meta for her is wrong, at best.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Allen Wren posted:

basically I don't feel the onus is on me to not say gently caress so that I look more town or less mad or whatever I mean what kind of fuckin' bullshit is that

You would look less scummy if you stopped freaking out and actually read the last couple pages.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I don't think much of the case on CT either. I haven't played many games with her(?) but I've read a few I haven't played and she strikes me as just a genuinely nice person. The comment to Winged Orpheus feels to me more like a nice person trying to help someone out than a scummy non-opinion

I could agree with that but the timing in particular is odd. She acknowledges that Orpheus made a scummy/bad post, but it might look opportunistic to hop on at that juncture so she doesn't lay down a vote. I don't particularly like meta calls and it seems like that's most of your base here so I'm not convinced.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Were both interpreting CT's post. Your interpretation is that she is trying to avoid looking opportunistic. Mine is that she's just being nice.

You are saying that my position is based on meta, therefore not convincing. What is your interpretation based on, other than your reading between the lines to determine CT's intent? Why should I find your position more convincing?

I dunno if an argument over the validity of meta-gaming mafia is really worth either of our time, but I have a lot of work I'm avoiding so why not?

Reading into a player's alignment based on knowledge of their behavior in other games is super tempting. It's a way to generate content where there is none, and can be useful in particular situations. However, too often we try to apply meta arguments where they don't belong.

To start with, my acceptance of a meta argument is based on my trust that you are making an accurate and unbiased read on that player. I've played a single game with Chic Trombone, you've played a few and read a few others. I have no real way to judge whether that's the case, so how can I just accept your read? I don't even particularly agree with your read on Rarity and I've played with her a bunch.

There's just no reliable way to read someone without a lot of games to back up that assessment. Even then, you have to consider everything different between that game and the one you're playing. Everything. I've been in games where I've been called out for not playing like myself due to personal poo poo. I wouldn't trust myself to read you and I've watched and played over at least a dozen games with you.

As to why you should find my argument more reasonable, there's a reason some behavior is generally considered scummy. There are overarching trends in scum behavior because, at some point, the mafia have to lie. Newer players are especially cautious about plays that appear overeager or aggressive, I'm seeing that caution here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Highland park Dark Origins is pretty cool if you like sherried stuff and don't mind trying a wonky NAS bottle.

Rarity or anyone else who's thinking about voting me, at least consider the merit of the WO case. I'd agree with somber against lynching a high activity poster early but there hasn't been any useful activity yet.

The dude has five games. Newbie policy aside, I would pretty much expect him to make scummy posts and I don't think we'll hit scum. Regardless, it's not what you did as much as how you did it. I don't like the wording of your votepost or the leadup to it at all.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Eh, but I'm not even pushing Allen and Epsilon acknowledges that while ostensibly agreeing with my other points.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rarity posted:

I'm just not seeing it. It's not a scummy post, it's not a townie post, it's just a dumb joke.

Regarding other new stuff, I'm getting good ~*vibes*~ from FV but I have a feeling Somber's trying to buddy me which is not giving me good ~*vibes*~

It was genuinely a struggle to avoid antagonizing you here. How have FV's efforts been pro-town so far? I think she's been active but not a lot of that activity was focused around scumhunting.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey, I'd also lynch Amoeba. Gut call, but I feel good about it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Rarity posted:

For starters she's totally right in that my case on KFC was easy, just like every other D1 case ever, and while I'm not sure I agree with her view on my meta (especially cause I like to switch up my meta) I think it's something she's thought about logically rather than something she's pulled out of her rear end. And then there's this post:

From the games I've played I think scum don't generally admit to their mistakes cause they're scared it's going to be seen as a backtrack to get out of trouble. Whereas so far you've gone out of your way to not only back my case but case the one person who spoke out against it. That alone is enough for me to suspect buddying but (and I'm admittedly not 100% on this) I'm fairly sure when you've been scum in our games together you've always been much less suspicious of me than normal.

If I'm less ready to put suspicion on you as scum, it's usually because you do a fantastic job of getting yourself lynched. This whole post is another reason why meta-casing is generally dumb as hell, the reason I've been suspicious of you as town in the past is because you say insane nonsense like this and it took me a long time to figure out how you play mafia(poorly). I mean, I lynched you to lose us the game in DS9 as town.

I don't see understand how you reach the conclusion that FV is town at all. No one has said why pushing an easy case day one is a bad thing. FV more or less brushed over it, that doesn't show a depth of thought to me and saying 'town because effort' is Wrong anyway.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

I'm trying to approach the game differently, more like MMM did in Mean Girls (which I think Rarity and Asiina will understand). Less reliance on what the community have decided are the basic scum "tells" and more on thinking about what and why people are posting.

Not saying I'm doing a great job of it, but I want to break out of (what I see as) the rut of rote case making.

That sounds cool, but I'm not sure I'm seeing where you said why it would make sense to push a vote on Chic Trombone as scum. Sorry, might have just missed it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I would be very happy not to have to discuss meta but that's most of what's being put forward.

I was hoping Quid would do something useful.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Quidnose posted:

Bull. You know very well that discussing meta is a distraction in games, and to act like there's nothing you can do because there's been no content - that's crap. People have posted opinions on people, talk about that. Don't act like your hands are tied, that's scummy as hell.

I'm not saying that. I made my vote picks clear, sorry if you missed that. When people are using meta in their arguments, I have to respond to that. I don't know why you're acting like I haven't been playing the game.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Rereading, I stand by FV. I know she's trying a different approach or whatever, but it feels very much like faking participation. I don't feel like we ever got a good answer as to what was wrong with the KFC vote. If anything, it's KFC's vote that's opportunistic and shifty, I am really not feeling his approach at all. I don't like the way Chic voiced her opinion on WO, acknowledging that the post was scummy but not voting because I think she thought it looked bad. Still feel comfy voting Amoeba and it's goofy to say that he's probably town because he's chill.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Hey, the deadline is in six hours and we're either -9 or -10 to lynch. I don't really want to vote Orpheus or Epsilon+.

Quidnose posted:

Kill that pokemon Dugong thing he's weird

This is a weird suggestion considering your previous posts.

I don't like any of Quid's reaction to that vig, really. Would vote Quid.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Yeah, if I remember correctly FV is Loved so it'll take thirteen votes rather than twelve.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

I have a good gut read and I'm never wrong about Epsilon+, just ask him.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I see the argument to be made for merk as scum due to suboptimal play, but there might be a reason for that. I can see merk shooting immediately because he's a usual nightkill target. You could apply the same reasoning to his play today, as I recall this is a move he deliberately makes now and then as town like in Terminator. That said, shooting Opopanax doesn't seem to make sense regardless.

I'll vote merk but he's not my top pick.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I get why that's a bad post but it's what I think. Merk is more likely scum that not but I see room for doubt.

We have four hours, I won't be here for deadline. I think FV is the smart vote here.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

This is absolutely not Somber's town game.

##vote Somber

There are personal reasons why my game is off, which is another reason why meta cases are silly.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

"reduces" -- present tense -- Written from the POV of someone who knew Opop's alignment when/before the shot happened.

aaand back on ##vote Winged orpheus

Okay that's pretty good.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

what

you don't actually believe that's a "pretty good" do you

it's clever + funny

Amoeba102 posted:

##vote Merk for vigging Opop.

oh come on.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

does that mean you agree with it

Ultimately no but I really thought about it.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Merk I think your case isn't very good and also I think the entire derail regarding that previous game was bad.

Chic Trombone posted:

Also I don't want to lurker lynch D1 but I would like to hear more from the lurkers, esp Amoeba since lurking's unlike him

This post bugs me though. What purpose does it serve? Also, Amoeba is scum.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Pinterest Mom posted:

your response to a post you don't agree with was "Okay that's pretty good"?

It was a very appealing idea, it's a neat little case and I wish I thought it was the correct call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Amoeba102 posted:

Oh Chic said that about me? Well, here's why I'm lurking - too much loving work to get done.

Hey Somber, yeah I'm scum that can choose someone to play chess on Day 1 and the winner gets a vig. Is that what you're thinking?

yeah, why is that improbable?

Pinterest Mom posted:

Is that the only thing you posted where you secretly hold the precise opposite opinion of what you wrote?

do you actually think this is an inconsistency or is this just pressure for the sake of pressure? if you're going to vote me just do it now so we have time to talk about it.

incidentally we're going to no-lynch

• Locked thread