Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Source supremacy crew checking in

(I would like to play in this game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
If I donate can I get one of the reserved slots?

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
##bet CT all America A++ #1 the best :patriot: :911: :patriot:

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Only a terrorist would bet on terrorists.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
There is no fun to be had in backing terrorist plots to cover every major city in maple syrup.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Dr. Hurt posted:

Orpheus. Turn around. You are in hades. Oh wait you can't turn around. Because Hades is covered in syrup. You are stuck. You cannot look at your lover. You are both okay, you are able to get out of hell and not see your lover. Don't you see, covering things in syrup would save your relationship!!! You NEED to back Opop.

My only true love is America :911:

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

uranus posted:

why is no one trying to kill each other

what has mafia become

It has become a way for us to put aside the barbarism of shooting those who disagree with us and replacing it with democracy, the divinely inspired method of voting out those who disagree with us. This leaves us more bullets to fire wildly into the air, in thanks to Jesus.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

uranus posted:

i accidentally stole a box of chamomile tea earlier. does that make you want to kill me?

Sort of, but more for the fact that its Chamomile tea rather than the theft part.

##vote Uranus

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Opopanax posted:

I would just like to personally say gently caress you to everyone betting on merk, and am looking forward to how foolish you'll all look when that coward fails to show

I'm not so much being on merk as I am betting on freedom :patriot:

Also Uranus didn't realize you were into good tea as well. ## unvote I really enjoy Ti Kuan Yin and most Ceylons.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Kumbamontu posted:

arms race is basically you start out with a gun and as you get kills with that gun you keep moving through the different guns, ending with pistols then finally knife. whoever gets the first knife kill while on the final level wins. it's really fun to get to know the different guns and practice aiming. also you respawn instantly so there's no downtime.

This used to be called gungame, did they change the name when they moved away from god's chosen version of CS?

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Opopanax posted:

I bet it would take, at best, 4 kids to hold you down.
A quantitative way to answer this question

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

merk posted:

##bet all ct

I have lost to Tao Jones and soru at mafia chess. Can I beat Opo?

The question is can you afford to lose to a terrorist?

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
I can't help but think that mafia chess looks something like this

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

True and Real posted:

I bet you play GunZ

Let's not say things we can't take back.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
The wager is the future of America.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
All cases in this game of mafia will be resolved not with examination of statements and logical evidence, but with games of blitz chess. PREPARE!

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Sic Semper Terrorists

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Opopanax posted:

Sorry, I'm distracted by trying to spend time with my wife. I mean it's not her birthday or anything, I'm just a good husband is all

Stop making excuses and accept that you are being crushed by the relentless advance of freedom.

Merk if you win I will consider you confirmed town.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
All hail the glorious strategical genius of America!

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Somberbrero posted:

Okay, I agree. It's generally hard to make statements about alignment early in day one, especially when the thread has largely been nonserious. However, I think it's fairly clear you and others assign some value to Orpheus' post. I think it's shady to say that you don't have any opinion on him at all while you're coaching him to play less scummy.

Also it's been a while but I've played a few mafia games on SA before.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Yeah, openings are literally the last thing you want to learn when trying to get good at chess.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Yeah picking one to learn is fine, I meant more the whole "trying to learn all the openings and what the "best" response to them is" that so many people try to start on.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
What exactly does loved mean? Not super clear on all the Mafia status conditions.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Yeah, the tactics puzzles are def a good way to learn how to pressure and fork. I used to use chesstemp.com, but I have a feeling most of the big chess sites are about the same.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
mafia edit: chesstempo.com

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Opopanax posted:

Hey! The game's still going. Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated

They may have been exaggerated but that doesn't make them wrong.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Sorry, I never felt compelled to clarify that my offhand comment about merk winning meant he was confirmed town was in fact a Joke and not a Completely Real Mafia Declaration.

If you want some mafia related posting, here goes:

99% of the time Day 1 is a crapshoot where someone gets lynched over something tiny, mostly because there's nothing bigger to lynch someone for. That being said, there's no real reason not to attempt scumhunting because it at least gives something to refer to when people inevitably flip.

So with that in mind:

Chic Trombone's post about my comment read more "please let that be a joke" than "aha the scum! it's you!"

Votes fly easy and fast on day 1 so I'm not exactly concerned about the votes on me for it. If i get lynched for a joke then w/e, someone's gotta die day 1.

The only thing that really sticks out to me as possible scummy maneuver is KFC dropping a 3rd vote and trying to start actually drawing a case on me for it, but even then it strikes me more as just trying to get some actual content going rather than scum trying to push a lynch.

And I know the newbie thing should only apply to the first game, that's why I made sure to point out I had played before. Don't feel bad about voting me if you think I'm scum, someone's gotta die.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
It's not just lovely, it's actively detrimental to town. Opop's posting had been pretty much entirely about the chess game, and he hadn't given reads on anyone/had anyone give reads on him. Even if he did have to use the vig today, shooting literally anyone who had been talked about in a mafia context would have given town useful information. Shooting Opop just reduces the town population without giving town anything in return.

##vote merk

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

"reduces" -- present tense -- Written from the POV of someone who knew Opop's alignment when/before the shot happened.

aaand back on ##vote Winged orpheus

It's written that way because I was following what I believe to be the thought process of merk, who (being scum in this scenario) would in fact know that Opop was town.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Deadline is just under 2 hours, let's get some votes people.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Just a reminder that my vote on merk is not based on meta at all. I'm doing my best to not be swayed by meta arguments simply because I don't have the experience/background necessary to objectively evaluate them. I'm voting merk because the way he used that vig is objectively scummy. It provided the town with absolutely no relevant information, other than that Opop (who had no interactions with anyone else) is town. It prevents us from gaining insight on the alignment of any other people, and served solely to reduce town population. Using the vig like that hurts town and helps scum.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Quidnose posted:

So you think Merk acted scummy, or what he did was scummy regardless of his intent? I am unsure which you are saying based on this post.

Both, really. Sorry, I'm not great at organizing my thoughts. It's scummy either way. I just don't see someone who is town aligned acting that way.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
I'm here as well. I'm still on merk. I could be convinced to switch to avoid a no-lynch though. Let me do a read over Somber.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
##vote somber

no lynching is not good.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Would also like to note that of the 4 people not voting who didn't either replace in or get replaced themself, there's been a total of maybe 5 posts between them that could be considered mafia related, and that's being very generous.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
did votefinder break? getting weird error messages trying to look at it.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
Does anyone else get a HUGE scum ping from f_v with regards to the map change? I have a real strong hunch based on that but I'd like to get some yes/no confirmation before I start giving details.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
The map change definitely had an effect.

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos
This'll probably get me NKed but I think dropping the cryptic bits will help town at this point.

I probably did go about it the wrong way, I'm not super experienced at mafia. You can more or less put two and two together at this point, so I'll be a little more clear. The map change changed my role. My (possibly incorrect) assumption would be that scum would not know what the change did, as their roles were unlikely to change. KFC was more or less correct when he brought up rolefishing (which I had forgotten the term for). I was trying to see if anyone else knew what the map change did, and if the majority knew then those that didn't know were likely scum (except probably amoeba, I haven't seen any reason to doubt the claim that they didn't know what both their weird powers would actually do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

Byers2142 posted:

Especially not using WO's given logic (if scum aren't affected by it, they can't know to rolefish, so you can't both look for scum to be unaffected and want to case them for rolefishing).

My thoughts were more along the line of scum trying to figure out exactly what the map change did, and the rolefishing being more of effectfishing if that makes sense. Sorry, I'm not good at explaining what I mean.

• Locked thread