Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

In!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I also really hoped Diq had setup a private server. I'd probably pitch in a monthly amount for a real private server.

ON an unrelated note, make me the Boom AWP

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

merk is playing csgo and i feel like playing csgo

anyone want to mafia match-make?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

why was half of that sentence even relevant in your head?

unless it's to make a statement like 'liking me is the first step to throwing away your life!~!'

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

no pmom

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i'm okay referring to diqnol as TAR from now on

if only because i think that makes him sound like the kind of robot we'd send off to space to be consumed by a black hole!!!!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i'm only kidding but i find your name a lot better than the old one

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

diqnol i need your help

csgo won't let merk and i play together anymore because our ranks are too far apart :(

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

First off, it shouldn't do that. I play on my badge alt and include my single AK brother and his silver friends. Second off, it's not hard to tank games. Purposely miss grenades, aim above heads, run while you shoot etc and you'll plummet within 5 games.

It gave us a weird message that's all like 'we won't let you play together unless you lobby 5 people'.

But the problem is it doesn't say how close the ranks should be for us to lobby together again. I mean, realistically, I don't know if I have to tank 1 game or 20 to play with him again and it seems like WAY more work than convincing 3 people to play with us.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

True and Real posted:

CS Elo is complicated. You can win every game for a week and not rank up if your score is always bad or if the game thinks your fundamentals are that off (and yes, it can calculate these things based on shots missed and such). It's also largely dependent on the strength of your opponents. If at the end of a match you look at the ranks for everyone and it seems like you were chosen by the matchmaker to lose and you won, you'll more quickly rank up. I've gone from DMG to LE in 3 games and I've done it in 100. Playing with good people only helps a bit, you can't be dragged into a good rank too much, though I have a friend who would argue against that.

For the record, I 100% believe everything you just said, because merk and my scores weren't significantly different in the games we just played before I got a rank back. The game just thought I'm the better player based on FPS fundamentals, I suppose.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

There's a dude in SAMart that will give you a healthy discount on CS:GO if you ask. I got CS:GO for $8 from him when it was $11.50. I assume he can give it to you for $5 or something.

This is his thread.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

>:[

I will buy it for both of you. Whenever you have the money to pay it back give it to your favorite charity instead. Or buy more games. Whichever.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Little Mac posted:

I have CS:GO but I have never played and I would play with a controller which probably means I would lose a lot.

I am not trying to be funny, I swear, but you'd probably not be too far away from where merk is if you started learning how to keyboard/mouse. I've only ever known a single person who could do well on PC games with a controller, and I doubt you want to test out whether you're the one in a million or not.

Asiina and Chic, I grabbed your copies but my inventory page is wonky and won't let me access it right now. When it stops being temperamental I'll forward them.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Thanks Chic for the thing, Asiina and Chic you should both have it now!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

##Bet T all

:canada::hf::canada:

Correct logic, bad result.

Opop will throw because he's a Canadian pacifist.

##bet ct all

I have an itch to play csgo, anyone else in?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Little Mac posted:

i went to go play cs go with mafia people but it was full and now i'm sad so i'm going to shoot people irl

i'm sorry that your experience was that awful game full of awful people

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Kumbamontu posted:

Yeah I remember why I stopped playing CS: I was only playing in pubs and there's just too many awful shitheads and way too much down time

I had fun queuing though even though we did horribly!

:hfive:

I'd be down to queue any time, Kumba! Since you don't have a rank we don't even need five people. We only needed five people because both Diqnol and I wanted to play. Also I'm v jealous of your near perfect movement.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I feel confident in merks victory. As someone who played chess a lot as a kid his position is just plain better for an opening and opop has already broken one of the cardinal opening rules.

That said i am furious I'm not involved with the chess shenanigans.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

My blitz chess record this past month is an awful 0-3 after three blunders when I was in a seriously superior position all three times. :ohdear:

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

oh i just noticed merk has an elo of 1600 on chess.com

yeah he's not going to lose this

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

this is brutal, barring anythings my twenty second check missed, merk should have a checkmate in 6 or 7

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Winged Orpheus posted:

Merk if you win I will consider you confirmed town.

##vote winged orpheus

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Asiina posted:

Also I will play more CS:GO if we don't play ranked anymore because I'm tired of getting rolled for 15 rounds straight.

the problem is there are too few of us for me to be motivated to rent a proper private server where we can mess around with ourselves

but the ones that are there are too far apart in skill, i mean where i am from you or merk, people like diqnol and kaschei are that same amount better than me in the other direction

i honestly feel like there has to be a solution without the game being horrible to us but i don't know

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Kumbamontu posted:

i'm telling you let's play arms race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd play arms race

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i had fun so much fun

thanks fellas

we can do this any time

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

i can pinpoint exactly where you went wrong

it was when you moved the pawn to b4

i think you're joking but you're right

historically 1. b4 has only been used effectively to lay traps for opponents whose style you're exploiting

i don't recall anyone off hand from the greats consistently winning with it

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Well poo poo Ernie, now you tell me

sorry opop

if it's any consolation, merk's play is perfect and he might as well be one of the greats

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Has Opop lost? I don't see a way out for him.

It's been over since move 17.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

uranus posted:

hey merk whats the best way to get into chess. the chess thread here is deader than the go thread.

I thought you were joking this whole time so i wasn't responding.

My System by Aron Nimzowitsch and Bobby Fischer's 60 memorable games are the two books every chess beginner should read/watch/know, in that order. Aside from that, practice the puzzle section on chess.com (I forget what it's called, but it's worth it paying $3 or whatever for one month to get really good at recognizing all the important patterns), and you're off.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

To clarify: Spending even one hour reading either of those books or one hour practicing the patterns on chess.com is immediately going to put you in the top 50th percentile of chess players.

Unfortunately lots of what works or doesn't work in chess fundamentals is opaque to even the best players/strategists, and no one today should try to 'figure it out on their own'. Even the world's best players today stand on the shoulders of computer AIs that have taught them these things.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hello,

our dearest friend winged orpheus tried to shoe-horn mafia gameplay where it doesn't belong because he felt like he had to

who feels like they 'have to' add mafia discussion, most people just shoot from the hip at what they disagree with

also notice how he's tried to stay under the radar by not commenting about it?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Epsilon Plus posted:

Look at Stretch Armstrong here. Stretching.

(about him freaking out, not about the other stuff, you're good there)

HMMMMM

this is a bad post relative to all the other ones in the thread

i'd also vote epsilon

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

Highland park Dark Origins is pretty cool if you like sherried stuff and don't mind trying a wonky NAS bottle.

am i an uncultured mess if highland park 12 is my favorite whiskey in the world?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

this is a bad post relative to all the other ones in the thread

to explain this more

scum generally tend to overexaggerate how bad something is because they're excited that they found a thing to pounce on to effect a mis-cuddle

town inherently know that they can wrong more often than not and if nothing EGREGIOUS has happened they're willing to back down

this post by epsilon just seems like a whole lot of the former

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

##vote Epsilon Plus

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

It's like Quidnose intentionally decided to refuse to understand anything at all.

~content~

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

oh my

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

hmm

##vote merk

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

that vig is giving me ~the world ends in seven days~ merk vig vibe

and also he's refusing to read the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

would either of you like to elaborate for the rest of the class

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3566185&pagenumber=16&perpage=40#post418956157

• Locked thread