Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
I am incapable of playing fps's. I can't run with keys and look with the mouse at the same time. I always end up staring at the ceiling. I guess what I'm trying to say is....make me serial killer thx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Did you choose this name yourself?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I thought this was the flavour??

uranus posted:

you dont have to, jjust call people terrorists and talk about how one type of gun is better than another, and post HEADSHOT whenever someone makes a good case.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Your Personal Muse posted:

Who wants to fight?

That's what your momma said last night.

BAM.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

##bet CT all

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Little Mac posted:

okay well you're gonna marry my daughter so she can gently caress off bye

So, no dowry then? C'mon YPM needs those extra cows.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Has Opop lost? I don't see a way out for him.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

Oh are we playing mafia now?

Orpheus's post is dumb as hell but it's not scummy cause what would be the point of saying that as scum? It doesn't look townie, it doesn't help get anyone lynched and ok maybe merk is scum too but that's still way too obvious for scum to say it. To me the reactions are more telling, particularly this one:

This is a lovely bandwagony-yet-noncommittal post so it looks like KFC's contributing without having to add an original thought of his own ##vote KFC CT's coaching post was also really bad.

Eh, I think the CT case is a bad case but so is this. It's such an easy thing to jump on, someone commenting on a bad case. I think it is a really lazy and "by the books" case, rather than you actually feeling like you've found scum Rarity.

And I don't agree that KFC is worse for his post than Ernie or Kumba. Both those guys actually voted, KFC just said it was worst thing "so far". I think the players actually pushing the CT vote are scummier.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I mean, day one, if someone does something textbook scummy, it's a bad idea to lynch them because _______? Help me fill in the blank here.

Because I think "textbook scummy" doesn't net us scum much these days.

Your phrase "textbook scummy" is probably a better phrase than"by the book" but I think we mean similar things. It's one of those things the community has turned into a definitive scum call when I believe it isn't.

Rarity made a easy case, people make the whole "saying stuff without advancing an opinion is scum" case regularly and I don't think it's the scum gotcha that Rarity makes it out to be, at least not on D1. (A pattern of doing it across multiple days is a different matter.)

In my opinion is it an easy thing to call out. It's lazy. I know from experience that Rarity makes the easy cases as scum (sorry Rarity, no offense intended). So I'm suspicious of it and I pointed it out.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Valk, I am not sure I see what is so scummy about an easy case. Yeah, opportunism is a thing sometimes, but it's very situational and I don't see it here. I also think that characterizing Rarity's vote as lazy and then making an alignment call based on a perceived meta for her is wrong, at best.

Except I'm not sure she is scum. I'll be looking at her later posts with interest, but it's not enough to make me want to vote her now.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I don't think much of the case on CT either. I haven't played many games with her(?) but I've read a few I haven't played and she strikes me as just a genuinely nice person. The comment to Winged Orpheus feels to me more like a nice person trying to help someone out than a scummy non-opinion

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I could agree with that but the timing in particular is odd. She acknowledges that Orpheus made a scummy/bad post, but it might look opportunistic to hop on at that juncture so she doesn't lay down a vote. I don't particularly like meta calls and it seems like that's most of your base here so I'm not convinced.

Were both interpreting CT's post. Your interpretation is that she is trying to avoid looking opportunistic. Mine is that she's just being nice.

You are saying that my position is based on meta, therefore not convincing. What is your interpretation based on, other than your reading between the lines to determine CT's intent? Why should I find your position more convincing?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

As to why you should find my argument more reasonable, there's a reason some behavior is generally considered scummy. There are overarching trends in scum behavior because, at some point, the mafia have to lie. Newer players are especially cautious about plays that appear overeager or aggressive, I'm seeing that caution here.

There is also a reason why we give newbie players a pass in their first game and that's because what we have determined to be "scummy" behaviour is common behaviour in newbies.

Your opinion is based on a "newbie scum" meta. I think it as valid/not valid as mine.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Ok, I checked how many games CT had. I thought he/she was new. I was mistaken.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

It was genuinely a struggle to avoid antagonizing you here. How have FV's efforts been pro-town so far? I think she's been active but not a lot of that activity was focused around scumhunting.

I'm trying to approach the game differently, more like MMM did in Mean Girls (which I think Rarity and Asiina will understand). Less reliance on what the community have decided are the basic scum "tells" and more on thinking about what and why people are posting.

Not saying I'm doing a great job of it, but I want to break out of (what I see as) the rut of rote case making.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Amoeba I'm going to need more than that. Pretend you are a terrorist and I'm a counter terrorist and I have a gun up to your head and you know from your terrorist friends that I'm edgy and I'd do it and pretend I said "who are the scum" and you knew if you didn't say someone I would murder you.

Pretending that, who are the scum?

And then you feel the kiss of cold metal on the back of your skull as a counter-counter terrorist sneaks up behind you, gun to your head.

Pretending that, how about providing an opinion of your own on who you think is scummy and why. All we have from you at the moment is a "me too" vote.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

To be fair, I said all the way through DS9 I was playing poo poo :P

From reading FV's initial comment on me it seems like she's saying it's making content just for the sake of making content rather than for legitimate scum hunting, which is a reasoning that I can understand (apart from the fact it's D1). And I never said it had anything to do with effort. If I thought that way then I'd think you were town as well!

I think you mean... gently caress, which one was it? Mean Girls is the one I modded and MMM wasn't in that one

No, I meant the one that us 3 girls were scum together.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

That sounds cool, but I'm not sure I'm seeing where you said why it would make sense to push a vote on Chic Trombone as scum. Sorry, might have just missed it.

I don't think I did say explicitly, but it's because it is an easy, lazy case.

You yourself said

Somberbrero posted:

I mean, day one, if someone does something textbook scummy, it's a bad idea to lynch them because _______?

But, I don't think textbook scummy is the be-all that you seem to. It's a go-to for making cases that is not as reliable as the phrase "textbook scummy" makes it seem.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Quidnose posted:

Later this evening I will do my patented (pending) Quidnose Play By Play ReadThrough of Amazing-ness and blow this game wide open for you fools.

I'm looking forward to it. It's usually pretty drat good. (No pressure)

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

First, newbie policy is 1 game pass. No more.
Second -- Consider: the initial catch may have been a newbie mistake but look at his follow up. He hasn't engaged at all except to say that he's not in fact a newbie. If it just came from being inexeperienced, I'd expect a defensive or at least more reactive follow up, wouldn't you?

Can you clarify what you mean by your second point.

Since you haven't removed your vote I assume you think WO is still scum, but how does that fit into your read of him being caught on a newbie tell and then not acting like a newbie under pressure?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Quidnose posted:

oh my god you two this is not even convincing.

It's not convincing because your read is wrong.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Quidnose posted:

So you think Somber is being earnest?

Not sure, but we're not scum buds.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Quidnose posted:

You have no opinion beyond "dunno?" You've been talking to him pretty much exclusively.

I think he's sincere, but I don't think it is alignment indicative.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Chic Trombone posted:

So are you saying you think he's town or telling Quid you aren't scum but dunno about Somber

The latter.

Chic Trombone posted:

Because that's a super weird way to phrase that imo

In what way? Because I didn't say "I'm not scum"?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Asiina posted:

This statement makes no sense to me.

For example, the big post where he gives us a lecture about meta. I think that is Somber's honest opinion on using meta to play the game. I also think he could make that post as scum or town.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I haven't made an alignment call on anyone. I'm not sure yet.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Quidnose posted:

FV dancing around Somber and Somber defending his play makes me confident in my choices. Dugong for other scum because his callout of me is weird and I don't know who he is and he's contributed nothing else.

Game solved you're welcome

Are Somber and I only scum because of our interactions together?

What if one of us is lynched today and is town?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

So when you asked me to make a call and then didn't follow up it was because you are...

SCUM!?

No, it was because you were asking amoeba to do so when you hadn't yourself.

Hence why I echoed your "gun to the head" narrative.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Quidnose posted:

Your interactions look fake. Your responses to my pointing this out feel forced and desperate.

I am not advocating a chain lynch in any fashion (which is what you seem to be implying here), and I was less convinced of you than Somber going into this until you vehemently refused to give any alignment calls while subsequently not wanting to...read or anything? I dunno, man, if someone was all "you haven't given any alignment calls and are refusing to do so and that's weird" as town I would say "well then let me see what I can come up with given the stuff that's happened" rather than "i mean i don't really know and don't care to know!"

I'm not implying you're setting up a chain lynch. I'm wondering how your opinion would be affected if you knew one of us was town. If I flipped town, do you have independent reasons for thinking Somber was scum, or is your opinion based totally on our posts together? And vice versa for if Somber flipped town.

quote:

i mean i don't really know and don't care to know!"

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said this. Why do I have to give an opinion now? What if I'm just not sure? Should I make something up just to avoid being called scum?

Faking an opinion when I don't have one just to satisfy this notion that I'm actually town is forcing me to do the thing we look for in actual scum players.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

To be clear, I'm voting FV because she tried to force me to produce content with absolutely no follow up. It's not like I gave a home run answer or anything, she went through the motions, which seems like scum faking content.

You pushed amoeba here with absolutely no follow up. How is this different?

Amoeba I'm going to need more than that. Pretend you are a terrorist and I'm a counter terrorist and I have a gun up to your head and you know from your terrorist friends that I'm edgy and I'd do it and pretend I said "who are the scum" and you knew if you didn't say someone I would murder you.

Pretending that, who are the scum?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

uranus posted:

valery you have a cool scum role dont you and are trying hard not to lose your cool cause man it would be so sucky to be lynched day 1 with a role like that oh god

You would not believe how cool my role is. It will literally blow your mind.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Well, that showed him....

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

uranus posted:

merk is confirmed town

Merk got the vig for winning the chess game. Do you still think he is town knowing that?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Ok, the person I am most suspicious of at the moment is PMom.

Only 5 posts post-chess chat, but 4 of them are just to discredit people's opinions or cases.

Going through them, PMom interacts with Somber

Pinterest Mom posted:

this is a fantastically bad vote

Somberbrero posted:

does my Fantastically Bad Vote say anything about my alignment?

Pinterest Mom posted:

it could be an attempt to put pressure, so i guess not

PMom in fact seems to be discrediting his own opinion now that Somber is pushing him. I think the difference in the language in these two comments is relevant to this. In PMom's original comment the vote is "fantastically bad". Not sort of bad, or mostly bad - fantastically bad. That seems like a really strongly held opinion. However at the slightest sign of pressure PMom is prepared to walk away from that opinion. In response to Somber the language becomes very weak with the "could" and "i guess".

The next comment from PMom is to discredit Ernie's case that he is pushing on WO.

Ernie. posted:

hello,

our dearest friend winged orpheus tried to shoe-horn mafia gameplay where it doesn't belong because he felt like he had to

who feels like they 'have to' add mafia discussion, most people just shoot from the hip at what they disagree with

also notice how he's tried to stay under the radar by not commenting about it?

Pinterest Mom posted:

WO has five previous games on votefinder, three years ago. maybe "a-ha, they're self-consciously faking content" isn't a great argument against them in that context.

Anything WO has or hasn't done in this particular game is completely irrelevant to PMom dismissing Ernie's case. PMom has not considered the posts by WO before refuting Ernie's argument, as the entire dismissal is based on the number of games WO played before this.

PMom's last relevant post, in reply to Dugong commenting on EP.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Epsilon has always pinged me as incredibly scummy in every game I've been in with him, and he's usually (always?) ended up being town, so I kind of write off snarky scummy comments from him d1.

Again, PMom's comments are basically ignoring this game itself. PMom's opinion of EP is based solely on other games, instead of this game, where EP does have a reasonable number of posts to look at. This post is a dismissal of Dugong's concerns that EP may be scum without reference to the game we are actually playing.

In summary, PMom is scum because
- he is mostly posting comments that are dismissing people's opinions (even his own)
- people's posts and actions in *this* game are mostly irrelevant to his opinions

##vote PMom

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I pushed Amoeba and then made an alignment call. I gave you a non-committal answer which you promptly ignored. Nice try though.

Also nice shot Merk, you killed the guy I had a declaration of friendship with. That means war between you and me.

Except not because I'm going for a culture victory so lets just have open borders.

Actually, I was ignoring you deliberately because I couldn't be bothered engaging with you further. Your opinions are terrible and based on nothing (and not just your opinions of me) but I dont think you're worth pursuing D1.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

...of course I considered WO's posts?

I don't see what is "of course" about it when you have never made a single comment about or in reference to his posts this game.

Pinterest Mom posted:

and again, of course my opinion of EP is based on his posts this game. I get that you think meta arguments are bad, but "EP looks bad, but he's posting similarly to how he's posted in the past as town in games I've played with him" is not obviously dumb or useless, though you're trying to frame it that way.

Where did I say meta arguments are bad? Somber has been pushing me specifically because I used a meta argument on Rarity.

You are just making an opinion up about me (FV thinks meta is bad) in an attempt to make it look like our argument is about meta, instead of addressing my actual point, which is that you hand waved away all of EP's posts without making any reference to their context within this game.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

Hey, the deadline is in six hours and we're either -9 or -10 to lynch. I don't really want to vote Orpheus or Epsilon+.

This is a weird suggestion considering your previous posts.

I don't like any of Quid's reaction to that vig, really. Would vote Quid.

Why not EP?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

yeah ##vote fv

Why am I scum?

Pinterest Mom posted:

hmm
##vote aw

Why is Allen scum? (As opposed to bad at reading)

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Epsilon Plus posted:

:rolleyes:

We've technically played before but I doubt you could gleam much of my style from Mexican Standoff Mafia.

I'm not sure how I feel about f_v. Nothing particularly stands out to me. I think Quidnose was really pushing f_v/somber being a scum team together for a while and it looks like when that didn't get takers he's devolved into low-content posting. I think if he(?) was really convinced he would continue looking into it, this post stands out here:

You need to post on a topic to make people get traction on it, "this is so obvious I will not even post about it" is kinda bleh. Quidnose stands out the most to me currently. ##vote Quidnose

Can you explain this further? It reads to me that you think Quid is scum for not pushing his scum team thoughts further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

Somberbrero posted:

I have a good gut read and I'm never wrong about Epsilon+, just ask him.

I hope you can figure out why I am staring at you incredulously right now.

• Locked thread