Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
It's a shooting game right? Like this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Confirming
#Bet CT All
##vote Dr. hurt
Goodnight thread.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I like ernie and Kumba's line of thought here on Winged Orpheus. Most voteworthy offense so far.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Dugong posted:

Why would you say most vote worthy offence yet and then not vote?

My vote is doing what I want it to right now.

Epsilon Plus posted:

nice of Pinterest Mom, Mafia Expert to chime in and shine some light on us lowly plebs

There have been a couple light/no-reasoning condemnations of peoples' votes. Why is this one sticking out to you?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Winged Orpheus posted:

They may have been exaggerated but that doesn't make them wrong.

##vote Winged Orpheus

You're paying a fair amount of attention to the thread, yet since you got called out for your lovely game related statement, you have made no further attempts. Please advance a mafia-related opinion.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

uranus posted:

whats up kfc, have any good whisk(e)y lately?

Highland park Dark Origins is pretty cool if you like sherried stuff and don't mind trying a wonky NAS bottle.

Rarity or anyone else who's thinking about voting me, at least consider the merit of the WO case. I'd agree with somber against lynching a high activity poster early but there hasn't been any useful activity yet.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Somberbrero posted:

The dude has five games. Newbie policy aside, I would pretty much expect him to make scummy posts and I don't think we'll hit scum. Regardless, it's not what you did as much as how you did it. I don't like the wording of your votepost or the leadup to it at all.

First, newbie policy is 1 game pass. No more.
Second -- Consider: the initial catch may have been a newbie mistake but look at his follow up. He hasn't engaged at all except to say that he's not in fact a newbie. If it just came from being inexeperienced, I'd expect a defensive or at least more reactive follow up, wouldn't you?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

merk posted:

Killing Opo got him to resign this game.

what?

also jesus quid, did all of those need to be separate posts. -- Agree that somber on WO feels artificial.

FV's case on PMom feels genuine.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Epsilon Plus posted:

I dunno. I've never really seen Somb make a post like that, true. But... I don't think it's enough to justify it.

On the other hand, Ernie makes some really good points about merk's actions and merk's vig/reasoning for vig is pretty lovely. I think merk is likely telling the truth about needing to use it today, but murdering Op was a lovely play in addition to being kind of mean-spirited.

That's a lot of words for "There's a bunch of things that someone could call scummy going around but I'm not going to say any of them are."

##vote epsilon plus

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Winged Orpheus posted:

It's not just lovely, it's actively detrimental to town. Opop's posting had been pretty much entirely about the chess game, and he hadn't given reads on anyone/had anyone give reads on him. Even if he did have to use the vig today, shooting literally anyone who had been talked about in a mafia context would have given town useful information. Shooting Opop just reduces the town population without giving town anything in return.

##vote merk
"reduces" -- present tense -- Written from the POV of someone who knew Opop's alignment when/before the shot happened.

aaand back on ##vote Winged orpheus

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Epsilon Plus posted:

What's it like playing mafia but being unable to read? I think that I pretty clearly stated that merk's play was bad (which I thought was an indicator of scumminess? I guess not?).

Also look at that tremendous, instantaneous flipflop wowzers
"yeah that somber post is bad... but I won't vote it"

"ernie says some stuff about merk that's good.. but maybe merk was telling the truth... but it was bad play"

You threw shade on 2 players, said something reversing the opinion, and voted neither one, not making any clear alignment commentary. Correct -- Calling something bad play is not an indicator of scumminess.

Also, I didn't see WO's post til after I responded to you.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Ernie. posted:

and now kfc is freaking me out with how 'undecided' he seems. nothing winged orpheus did/said could have made them look 'better' in kfc's eyes, but apparently epsilon plus looked worse for half a second??

Ernie -- why do you say "Nothing WO could have done would make him look better?" Clarify that statement, please.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Ernie. posted:

Not what I said. I didn't say nothing he could have done could have made him better; I said nothing he did did. Between you originally suspecting him and you switching your vote to Epsilon, and then back to WO there was no logical reason for you 'dropping' your original suspicion.

Given how guarded you were with your vote originally, it surprised me that you went 'welp, yeah, epsilon is a better target'.

Re: being guarded, we were a lot further from deadline earlier, and also epsilon's post was just SO hedged.
He acknowledged 2 people did scummy things and talked himself out of voting both and didn't choose OR venture a real comment on either of them. He says that merk's lovely play was meant to say scummy but then there's still no vote there. It's positively vacuous.

Then WO piled on merk for the vig -- like townies never have a bad vig? WO's whole post felt like a kneejerk bandwagon that required zero thought. Of COURSE a dead townie is "detrimental" for the town. The present tense thing is mostly gravy.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I'll go with somber of the theoretically viable candidates. ##vote somber

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
welp, no lynching today I guess.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Ernie. posted:

Chic pm quidnose to pm winged oprheus to pm diqnol to pm ecco to pm soru to fix votefinder.

No no no, Chic needs to pm quid to pm winged orpheus to pm ecco to pm soru to pm twelvebaud now

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Winged Orpheus posted:

The map change definitely had an effect.

You're possibly right about FV, but if you're town you're definitely botching this. You couldn't have just cased FV a little harder for padding and rolefishing?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Padding and rolefishing? Please explain where.

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So change map didn't do anything?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Yeah, whats the point of having a power role if you cant do cool stuff?

Then WO comes after you with

Winged Orpheus posted:

Does anyone else get a HUGE scum ping from f_v with regards to the map change? I have a real strong hunch based on that but I'd like to get some yes/no confirmation before I start giving details.

The reasonable things I can think WO could be criticising about your comments on map change would be that you're saying things that aren't terribly impactful on the game and the point of which would be asking about things that intersect with other peoples' roles. It seems to have worked because WO is claiming an effect now which I think was a dumb move unless he's trying to draw a nightkill. Maybe the map made him BP or gave him the ability to hide. :shrug: I think it would've been better for him to case you than to just claim, since if he thinks you're scum, that's what you were going for.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

So I'm scum because I'm not posting 100% serious mafia all the time? If the game was at a point where there was some serious discussion going on and I interrupted it to distract with no content posts that would be one thing, but look at the context of the thread when I made those comments.

If WO is claiming something about his role (which is a big assumption on your part) that has nothing to do with me and to claim I prompted that with a "rolefishing" comment is a really big stretch.

I thought the map change would have an effect on the game rules. Diq posted some flavour stuff and that was all. If people did have individual effects then there was no way for me to know or expect that so how could I be rolefishing for it?

I posted a theory about why someone else might have thought you wee scummy, Not even voting you, and you feel the need to react by writing something meticulously trying to discredit every element of it with a paragraph. This kind of defensiveness Makes me think I'm on the right track.

Are you seriously suggesting you couldn't be expected to assume that a day action actually did something that only some players might know, so "how could you be role fishing?"

##vote fiery_valkyrie

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
There's a difference between defending yourself, which you could've done by saying "Yeah, that's not what was up, I just wanted to know what happened." and Writing multiple sentences to attack every part of what I brought up -- 2 sentences on the idea of padding.* (also the "if I was doing _this_ I'd be scummy, but I'm not, so I'm not" phrasing/structure pings my gut)
and then like 5 more to talk about how big a stretch it is that WO is making some kind of claim (It's not a stretch at all and I was right)
and then how silly the idea that you were possibly rolefishing is (hint: it's not).

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Yes, I'm seriously telling you that it never even occurred to me as an option.
That strains credibility. Why would a mod have a day action that triggered public flavor and did NOTHING else? Pmom's already commented on how strange this was coming from Byers.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is it really so incredulous for me to have not assumed that there would be private effects? How is it scummy to have not assumed this?

Yes, it is -- My first thought after seeing the the result of the day action as only flavor was "Well I bet that did something for someone" -- mostly because I wasn't directly impacted myself.

Not thinking about it is extremely dumb, and prodding people for information about is anti-town.

What are the possible outcomes of this mysterious thing having happened?
a) It helped a town PR/the town
- possibly negated or lessened by the scum becoming aware of this/who/how
b) it hurt a town PR/the town
- exacerbated by the scum becoming aware of this/who/how
c) it helped or hurt a non-town entity inc, scum.
- if scum, unlikely to be disclosed/discernable from reactions either way,
- 3p weird to speculate about, but if it was going to be helpful to have it come out, would probably do so on its own.
d) it did nothing (very unlikely)
- just going to distract the town from scumhunting.

So in the vast majority of cases, talking about a thing that impacted unknown players in unknown ways is going to probably benefit the scum, even if the thing itself did something pro town.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Winged Orpheus posted:

My original thoughts were that since it was scum wouldn't know what the effects were, they would want to know more than town would and people asking would be more likely to be scum. Looking back, it doesn't really hold up under more thoughtful scrutiny. I mostly got excited about thinking I caught a tell and wanted to see what other people thought.

Uh, no, Your initial thought process is correct, WO, read my breakdown of why prodding about the unknown effect is likely anti town, and the way FV reacted to even the impression of pressure is bearing out the idea.... I don't understand why you're backpedaling since it's working out.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Little Mac posted:

Not really but I'm glad to show up and give you something to deflect towards.

This is a petty looking snipe. I too would love substantial thoughts from you Little Mac.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Merk, weigh in on FV please.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

merk posted:

Don't care about fv. I have three good picks right now.

:raise: Really it's that much effort/not worth it to put together an opinion beyond "don't care" on the major candidate of the day so far?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

merk posted:

Like, the Chic case is so much better than any other case made so far in this game that I'm bored that people wave over it as "bad" with """bad""" reasons. That single Dugong post I quoted is 10000% a scum post and it got waved over as me not analyzing the guy's body of work.

Offhand, It makes more sense that chic misremembered than that she was fabricating/twisting something maLiciously abs hoping no one would check, especially in light of her acknowledgement thereof and re making the case without the faulty point.

That isn't a terrible reason to dislike your case

Did you ever make any effort explaining what about dugong's post was scummy?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I posted that from my phone not having previewed the last 6 posts so I didn't see merk being a complete tool and self voting. I've since gone back and reread merk and chic more thoroughly and I stand by my earlier statement.

Especially in the context of a follow on to Ernie, I think that it's much more plausible chic half/mis-remembered the exact circumstances and honestly thought Ernie was on to something, than that she took the opportunity to bandwagon without checking it out in more detail, especially since it was her game. I'd give ernie cred as scum for pushing that case disingenuously, but he hasn't stuck with it even as you've picked up steam so... it seems as/more likely an honest thought as anything else from his POV too.

I find it a little odd you never remarked on how this reflects on ernie when you've made it a cornerstone of your chic case, you never responded to somber asking about this, either.

I don't want to vote merk because I don't think he's likely scum, but will vote him to get rid of him being a tool if we can't get someone better rolling, like FV. The chic case is not as good as he thinks it is.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

merk posted:

I calmed down a bit and am back.

I explained this in my original post where I voted Dugong, but please read this quoted post a few times.

His analysis of me is nonsensical.
His analysis of somberbrero is nonsensical.
He is scum analyzing a town/town lynch decision. The content is completely fake feeling, sounding, and there's no logic to it at all.

Thank you -- I did go back e and catch that you covered this briefly against dugong. I wish it wasn't the weekend because I want more contributions from him and like well, a ton of players, so it didn't feel as much like a lurker lynch.

I'm torn about ernie's push on byers.

Ernie. posted:

Like this is point number one this is so fake it's unreal. Full context : Byers then wastes two posts discussing omgusing with merk
I gave Byers town cred for the post referenced because it felt intellectually honest and pro town to talk at all about the fact that he disagrees with how I came to my conclusion but not distract the whole game by diving into it.

The rest of it I can only half see. -- Byers reacting to Merk's question about dugong is actually feeling like a reasonable catch. That said.

merk posted:

I feel like Byers spent a lot of posts setting up a vote on me. When he came into the game, there are multiple posts where he gets a weird ping on me and then says he wants to believe I'm town.

I feel like I've had this thought process about you in other games,, though. So I'm not at all persuaded that this is a scumtell.

I could get on board with Dugong, though.

No one else thinks the initial fishing thoughts on FV nor the wildly overly defensive reaction thereafter is telling?

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

merk posted:

I switched to bourbon. Support America.

Most scotch is aged in ex bourbon casks so you're still supporting the US with scotch.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Fv is scum for prodding people into claiming effects from the map change, then being ludicrously defensive when the idea was even brought up. I didn't think the first part made a good case but I don't think she would bother being so verbose in the defense of a case that didn't get anything right.

I'm about to start driving so I will prob miss deadline if it's 7

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
##vote derp
Boo
Boooooooooo why derp why.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Nice Shot.
Uranus is scum too, for sure. Look at merk's bullshit "Is derp in this game" distancing.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

I'd be mad suspicious of you on this point but your trajectory on merk means that your bus on him if it was a bus was ballsy as poo poo so I'm giving you a boatload of town cred for now, and Uranus/FV are better but I need to Reread for interactions there.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

uranus posted:

hi i interrogated valary last night and am now convinced she is scum. i am prepared to claim and LAY OUT MY EVIDENCE to support this theory

Well gee. ##vote fiery valkyrie Let's call it a day.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
that isn't an investigation.

I'm fine voting FV for other reasons. Uranus isn't off the hook.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
What the gently caress are you on about TT?

If your gambit worked as stated you should be clearing Amoeba because that would make him a vig not scum, not condemning him.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
gently caress it ##vote uranus I think you and merk are playing theater games again.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
Read the last 4 pages of aqua teen. I'm going after merk hard and then theatrics start. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3503336&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post407967726

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Dugong posted:

Hmm. I appreciate the effort of finding the old thread and can see why your worried at potentially falling into the same trap again. Do you think derp and merk if they were scum would do the same things again though? That was over 2 years ago and in a game with 9 less people.

It's only "the same thing" in the sense of theatrics/faked interactions.
Add the weird fake sounding "is derp in this game" to the fact that uranus refused to hammer merk yesterday and then his weird post flip behavior about merk it feels like we're doing something similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
I'm stuck on FV for reasons I've discussed and uranus for the merk related behavior and continuing to be basically completely useless on d3. Could consider FV as something of a referendum on uranus but that feels at least potentially unwise.

I would also guess that 1 of merk's 3 picks is scum, but I haven't followed up there because chic and Pmom don't feel bussy and I thought dugong's interaction with me felt pretty genuine, so I'm not rating that suspicion very highly. If I followed that assumption I think I'd go with Pmom.

I wish I had a handle on more players though. Will try to look over lunch.

• Locked thread