Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

ok so I keep hearing on gbs and reddit about always leaving your dorm room door open

help me understand it

is it the prime strategy for American freshmen to socially interact with others by leaving their door ajar so a passerby will hear them playing SMB3 on their Super Nintendo and take notice of their Pink Floyd poster and say "hey this guy is a cool guy"

is it a real thing or is everyone being ironic

thanks.

door openers and door enterers: tell me of your stories and experiences!

Happy Bear Suit fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
American freshmen are literally children hope this helps

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
its a gay thing

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord
you get naked and lie in your bed with the door open

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I never went to college because I wanted to be successful

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
When I was in school, well over 20 year ago, it was a real thing. It meant folks, including strangers, were welcome to stop by, introduce themselves and say hi. It was a real and easy way to meet new people, especially at the start of the year when everyone was new.

Normal rules of etiquette apply though; don't be a spaz, don't stay too long, etc. I think on SA though, you have a higher than normal ratio of "socially awkward" people, so I can imagine more reports of such a plan not working well being normal here.

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW
maybe on the first day or three

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zeike posted:

hot chicks will walk by and have sex with u if u do this

sometimes guys too, after all, college is about experimentation :)

hope that helps fresh goonlings!!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Internetjack posted:

When I was in school, well over 20 year ago, it was a real thing. It meant folks, including strangers, were welcome to stop by, introduce themselves and say hi. It was a real and easy way to meet new people, especially at the start of the year when everyone was new.

Normal rules of etiquette apply though; don't be a spaz, don't stay too long, etc. I think on SA though, you have a higher than normal ratio of "socially awkward" people, so I can imagine more reports of such a plan not working well being normal here.

Same but just about 20 years ago. Our door was always open except if we weren't there, were smoking pot, banging our girlfriends our passed out

If you close your door for any other reason you are a hopeless autistic goon lord

Hth

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

jackyl posted:

Same but just about 20 years ago. Our door was always open except if we weren't there, were smoking pot, banging our girlfriends our passed out

If you close your door for any other reason you are a hopeless autistic goon lord

Hth

wrong. You close your door and then only the cool people who know it's okay to walk right in anyway actually come in. Keeps the stupids adn lamos out. If they're dumb enough to knock they stand ther looking idiotic in the hall while we laugh haha.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I have stolen many good xboxes from dumb goons this way, please keep leaving your doors open

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

"is it cool to come in?"

*cool dudes staring at this loving nerd and the bullshit he just said* "i don't know, is it?"

*stares at nerd until he gets self conscious and leaves. their laughter follows him down the hallway*

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

"is it cool to come in?"

*cool dudes staring at this loving nerd and the bullshit he just said* "i don't know, is it?"

*stares at nerd until he gets self conscious and leaves. their laughter follows him down the hallway*

Way to bring back bad memories, rear end in a top hat.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Mr. Pumroy posted:

"is it cool to come in?"

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Mr. Pumroy posted:

"is it cool to come in?"

my_worst_fears.txt

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Myron Baloney posted:

wrong. You close your door and then only the cool people who know it's okay to walk right in anyway actually come in. Keeps the stupids adn lamos out. If they're dumb enough to knock they stand ther looking idiotic in the hall while we laugh haha.

lmao if you think they didn't know to not come in and if they did we just made fun of them and made them beer bitch til they left

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I see you bros are playing Mario Kart.

I also like to play Mario Kart.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
i would have left mine open but everyone like made it a commandment to do it, so i didn't

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i can never remember how many times am i supposed to tap my foot under the divider between stalls
or what color bandana and where to wear it

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

gary oldmans diary posted:

i can never remember how many times am i supposed to tap my foot under the divider between stalls
or what color bandana and where to wear it

That's why you have the viewing slot

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

"is it cool to come in?"

this is a thing that happened to you isn't it

It's okay, you can tell us. This is a safe space

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008
People maybe did this for the first week at my school (probably because it's in all those stupid books about advice for college that everyone gets as gifts.) But the everyone made actual friends and realized they liked having privacy.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Maldoror posted:

i would have left mine open but everyone like made it a commandment to do it, so i didn't, MAN.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

raditts posted:

this is a thing that happened to you isn't it

It's okay, you can tell us. This is a safe space

uhhh yeah obvi. you can't spit fire unless you've felt the flames :devil:

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
excellent way to have all your stuff be stolen and then sold for drugs.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Zeike posted:

this.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012
leave the door open so people can't use sick *points to door* mind manipulation on u op

Hingehead
Nov 24, 2013
I was the cool kid on the floor with the street fighter 2 game.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

it's a good thing, to leave your door open

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Lock your door at night at least, some really drunk dude came in and mistook my roommates stack of books for a urinal.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
i made two cool friends because they left thier door open so I went in and we talked. i think going into other people's open room is probably more important than leaving yours open.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Ocean Book posted:

i made two cool friends because they left thier door open so I went in and we talked. i think going into other people's open room is probably more important than leaving yours open.

This is the part that's weird to me. Who the hell walks into someone's room apropos of nothing and says Hello, I'm Chuck, Wood You Like To Be Friends?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i didnt go to college immediately after high school but from ive seen of freshman dorms when visiting friends i was glad that i would never be forced to live in that environment

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Happy Bear Suit posted:

ok so I keep hearing on gbs and reddit about always leaving your dorm room door open

help me understand it

is it the prime strategy for American freshmen to socially interact with others by leaving their door ajar so a passerby will hear them playing SMB3 on their Super Nintendo and take notice of their Pink Floyd poster and say "hey this guy is a cool guy"

is it a real thing or is everyone being ironic

thanks.

door openers and door enterers: tell me of your stories and experiences!

I was one of the first people to move onto the floor freshman yr and left my door open, the first night I made friends w the kid next door who had an xbox and we set up a lan thru the roof and went around and played 4v4 halo w whoever was there. The second night more kids moved in and one of em was a bit of a card player, so we ended up playing poker. The game expanded and I wasn't very good at playing cards, but im ok at cheating at cards so I offered to deal. I sent v good cards the card players way, and busted him out a handful of times to keep him from being straight hot and arousimg suspicion. He won and at the end of the night he gave me 20$.

I always kept my door open unless I was studying bc alot of times kids would just yell what their doin on their way out amd we were all super close. We hosed up the ratio at any party we went to, just a grp of guys rollin up like 40 deep. Was fun.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

jackyl posted:

Hth

I wish peton all the luck in the playoffs

Shame eli has more ringz than him that aint rite

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

Sharzak posted:

This is the part that's weird to me. Who the hell walks into someone's room apropos of nothing and says Hello, I'm Chuck, Wood You Like To Be Friends?

social norms are context dependent, so being a new freshman it was actually normative behavior to do this

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Ocean Book posted:

social norms are context dependent, so being a new freshman it was actually normative behavior to do this

What this nerd said

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012

Waroduce posted:

I wish peton all the luck in the playoffs

Shame eli has more ringz than him that aint rite

dont ask how i know this but word is that eli is a cum thirsty little gently caress slut who cant get enough cock

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
let's go the broncos bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
It's a good way to make friends in an environment where social relationships are still sparse. If this is wierd to you in anyway you are hopeless. Hth, OP.

• Locked thread